Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

A concern for new players

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Greasy, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Greasy

Greasy Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

RESOURCES

Ive been playing a bit on my alt just to see how the game looks from a non developed side of things. I have since held back because i want to test the essence system but that's beside the point. For just my alt alone its hard for him to gather up enough resources to sustain him. Mostly gathering iron is an issue for just me and im only one player and the population is at a low as of late. I can only imagine what it would be like with a booming population of lets say 3k players. I might be able to get 5-6 iron nodes and with their output that's not enough to really level anything or make myself enough gear. My suggestion would be to increase the nodes, at least a bump of 15 to 20%. There needs to be enough to let everyone get what they need for just daily stuff. (i understand right now increasing them wont change much due to the small population but im hoping this is addressed for launch.)

SKILLlING UP
    Next thing that concerns me is the essences. I am eager to try the essence system i think its a cool way to level up. My concern comes with the fact that maybe its too good. If you level your school too fast you wont even have to gold to buy the new skills and regs you need to keep leveling forcing you to stick to lower end mobs to get enough gold to break out of the mold. Again right now increasing this kind of stuff in the games current state could be unbalancing but im looking forward to the part where there is more than 500+ people logging in every day for long stretches of time. I think the newbie mobs need a rework of loot and the nodes need to be buffed. A new player needs to feel like they can be self sustaining but also not feel like they need to spend all their time at goblins to earn enough gold to keep buying skills.

QUESTING
    The next point is about quests. They are around in darkfall but they way they are presented is hard for a new player to wrap their heads around it. There is little to no indication that the game has any quests and when you do all the quests in the town you started in its not even enough to really get you anywhere and you have to move on to the next starter town just to repeat all the same quests so you can get enough stuff to move on. If we are allowed to pick 3 starting locations each one should have enough quests or at least the quests should be buff enough that the player doesn't need to run to the next town to do the same quests over again. Please PLEASE add in some sort of indication that an NPC has a quest to give. IDC how tacky it is but people need things spelled out for them. First impressions are everything in a game like darkfall. We don't need to make the whole game easy for players but for new players they need the help.

If we had a good bunch of brand new players to darkfall im sure they would find more issues or have more concerns but for now thats all this vet can think of when i think of NPE. I like how BPG has been listening to the community but i hope they take something from this post and try to fine tune the NPE because i think the NPE will either make or break the game because at the end of the day if there isn't any grass for the sheep to eat then they wont stick around.

2. Harley Franklin

Legend

Stoped reading after you said ore was a problem, obviously you have no clue what you are talking about

Myater likes this.
  3. Greasy

Greasy Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

how is it not a problem? you get 20 ish ore if your lucky per node and idk about you but if you take the amount of nodes and divide that by 100 or even 50 players in the area, you wont get anything.

4. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

Depends where you are. Elf lands, ok maybe. But you don't have to mine only in tower range either. Dorf/wolf/ork/alfar all have a shit ton of ore. Not sure on human.

5. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Resources - Venture out further? Theres a Ton of nodes... wouldn't mind some type of yield increase though, whether it be from max mining or what not.

Skilling up - Wut? This is literally a non-issue, gold is easy as hell to get, new players just don't know how to get it, thats the real problem.

Questing - They're making new quests, so this is on the way. Not sure about the ole exclamation mark above the head though. (Almost all NPCs have quests, try looking)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. Greasy

Greasy Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

ok granted each zone will vary, but consider the population is 500+ now and a chunk of that are alts that doesn't really give a good idea on how much stuff will be around for launch. if they reach a good population of like i said 3k people split that up between all the zones and it will be hard to find what you need just to craft. dwarf lands seems to have the most ore nodes and even there im finding most of the nodes are tapped and thats just with this low of a population. so just scale it up is all im saying more people all trying to get what they need.
    --- Post updated ---
    yes all npc's have quests but if you never played the game before how would you know each npc has a quest to offer and if you dont talk to the councilor first then like none of the NPC's will have quests. I think too many people view things from their current character and how they would do it when they have to restart. You have to take your mind out of being a vet and put it into a new player that has NEVER played before.

7. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

I'm pretty sure that dwarf lands alone could support 5-6 people harvesting ore 24/7, and that is not counting the areas just outside dwarf lands. And no new players are going to be harvesting 24/7.
    Not to mention if you are not harvesting ore you are probably earning gold or harvesting something else, so you can trade for what you need.
    I could see a slight increase in the production per node, but not by much or it will become worthless.

8. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I been playing on my alt also. I feel like the quests aren't enough and don't give enough.

The current scroll system is worse than the first scroll system for transfers and heal self and lower level shields.

Hopefully new essence system is better. But I'm afraid it would put off new players having to craft a scroll Instead of bypassing that and just loading essences directly to a spell.

Materials are an issue as the op stated. Will definitely be an issue when the game has a large player base. Mostly iron ore. Ore nodes should have 50-60 in capacity.

Meditation cost is an issue for new players also. 5k a day for a solo newb is kinda rough especially if they are casual gamers with full time jobs.

All quests should give med poibts.

Access to NEEDED spells is my largest concern. I think all heals/cross heals and utility spells should be set to skill 1 in their school.

Stats are an issue also they level up to slow.

Meditation should have 2 skillups at a time. Stats and spells/skills/schools.

What I do love about df over due is that newbs have access to all armors and weapons. Helps with the grind. It was dumb in dfuw that vets couldn't give newbs best gear to grind with. BC of prerequisites.

Circa and Greasy like this.
  9. Greasy

Greasy Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

I should have mentioned that in the post about giving better rewards for quests so thanks for bringing that up. Im glad someone else see's the issue with mining. It doesn't take long to see that how slow the nodes re spawn and how many people will be hitting them that you wont get much of anything to help with crafting or trade. Too many people have a vet mentality and not thinking that a new player wont know he/she will need such a large amount of gold for meditation and then also get enough gold for skills and regs. Like i said since skilling up will become faster imo with the new system thats just more gold noobs will farm off crap mobs that dont yield alot as is.

10. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

Why would having to go back to town to craft a scroll instead of putting essences directly into a spell put people off.

11. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Affluent Legend

Scarcity is good, specially if they remove weapon mob drops above r30

Wes Furtive and Greasy like this.
  12. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

This is why people sell iron at 8gp an ore because its a pain in the ass to collect. Newbs shouldn't be spending their time crafting they should be pondering how much better their life will be when they over come social anxiety and team up with other newbs to lock down a dungeon.

Then the issue becomes we should Nerf Cave Hags, and the health on Crypt Guardians, and make Spirits slightly weak against physical damage.

Gathering quests could also help with the fact that Nodes haven been reduced without increasing the time to mine them.
    Having an NPC say

"The Mine Over In Greenwood has been abandoned, please get it back up and running"
    (Clear 20 iron nodes in Greenwood for 400 Iron Ore)

This wouldn't be a bad direction to take the game, but in order to make a quest like this work even with higher population dummy nodes would have to be added that just re-spawn faster.

Circa likes this.
  13. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Salvaging Is needed
    --- Post updated ---
    No one uses r30 and below may as well remove that shit

Circa, Sero and RootedOak like this.
  14. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

1. Quests do need a major overhaul. The "kill something in an hour" quests need to give more gold and give med points.
    2. I don't entirely agree with this statement, as it is easier to focus on one thing. But they did fubar the drops on low lvl mobs.
    3. I disagree here but we will see how it plays out.
    4. If you cannot find ore in this game you need to play outside zap tower range. There is plenty out there for the taking, you just need to grow a set.
    5/9. You claim 5k is too many points to spend in a day, yet you want to double that by meditating 2 things? I like the idea of stat + skill, but your comments here seem to contradict themselves. That said, quests should give more med points.
    6. See above.
    7. No. Why will a solo noob need cross heals? Think about it. And spell schools go up crazy fast now, this will not be an issue.
    8. Disagree. They level up the same slow for everyone. Gives you SOMETHING left to work for since everyone seems to want a max character in 2 days.
    --- Post updated ---
    All mastery weapons/armor should be removed from mobs. Period.

15. Kaurik

Kaurik Crypt Guard
    Hero

I use r0 to grind a skill up.. don't remove it! Vet mentality usually forgets that newbies don't know where any of the nodes are, either.. most of us who gather have learned over time where the hotspots for ore are so the reduced amounts in a giant world is a non factor. Add in a huge player base to these reduced amounts and it will create a bit of a conflict over ore intense areas.. I don't know about you guys but I liked not having to play hot potato with ore nodes just to get a decent chunk when there are other people just sitting on a mine all day not having to worry about jack besides throwing their stuff in the bank when they hear a rat scurry across the floor.

16. Knar

Knar Competition Winner
    Lifetime

In my experience, mob dropped gear is fine for a new player until they get on their feet.

17. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Affluent Legend

No one uses mainly because mob drops at beginning

18. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

What is with this Q.q over mob dropped weapons? We all know mob drop weapons are garbage right? Lowest roll and shitty dura, no one farms with mob dropped weapons outside of launch. I think 91 110 dura jbs are better for farming than. 80 34.537373747474 dura jbs...

Circa likes this.
  19. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Affluent Legend

Its a issue because u will find ppl in a day 2 using r50 mob drop..

Greasy likes this.
  20. Greasy

Greasy Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

Not to mention why would you spend all the gold and time to get a crafter to make r50's when you can farm a butt load off mobs same goes with full plate.

NonFactor likes this.