Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

A week in development - 7/31/18

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilrain, Aug 1, 2018.

1. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

So I thought I would start posting a few tidbits once a week (or so) about the things I'm working on, the challenges and progress made. If people are interested I'll keep going, if not.. well maybe I will anyway just to get things off my mind.

Since the patch on the 11th you all I'm sure are aware of some of the issues that arose, like the market gold dupe, other market bugs that resulted from the fixes and various other issues that we've worked on. What you probably don't know about are the new things we're working on. Since the patch I toyed around with 3D models and animation a bit. At one point last year, I think it was last year.. time flies. Anyway, at one point we had new animations in the engine and then couldn't reproduce it, even though we went through the same steps (or so we thought) so from time to time I'll go back through and try a few different things to see if I can progress on it.
    Anyway, I didn't get very far but I have some more ideas to check next time around and spending a lot of time on it doesn't make a much sense so I moved on.

After discussing some things with Neil and Andrew, we decided that Neil would begin working on the clan mine objectives and I would either work on relics or clan platinum. I was eager to get some code down for the relics and start laying out how they were going to function and up until yesterday that's what I was doing. After a week or so of going in on relics I got to the point where the only piece left were the bonuses and penalties themselves and to be quite honest it's a lot more involved than I had anticipated.

The idea behind relics is to have a single item (3 if you include all tiers) that randomly picks between various penalties and bonuses. In order for this to work properly it needs to be able to draw from all areas at the same time and this is where the first real challenge in relics comes in. Some of the areas we want to affect with these bonuses exist in the form of enchants. Some exist in the form of skill extensions. Some exist in other ways and some, like "greatsword damage", don't exist at all. In order for the this to work all of the bonuses (and subsequent penalties) really need to come from the same place. Relics being the youngest of the current road map ideas, there hasn't been an extensive amount of planning for them. So while this was anticipated, it wasn't completely clear just how involved this was going to be. The idea of how relics will work is very similar to enchants, so it's highly possible that I will just go that route and create new enchants for every possible relic outcome, if they don't already exist. However, even though they're similar, there are some differences. The most obvious are the penalties and how they are generated. So even if I go the route of enchants I'm going to need to make a lot of changes for these particular enchants in order to accommodate. So, I may decide to go a completely custom route instead. This is something I want to think about before moving forward, so yesterday I decided to put the breaks on it.. just for the moment while I figure this piece out.

I didn't stop working though. While I ponder the next move to bring relics in I started working on Clan Platinum. Between what remained of yesterday and today I have the base of the code written, tables created and everything required to start farming platinum for my clan. Currently farming mobs and harvesting are working and will add crafting and possibly some other activities before the night is over. Adding new activities for acquiring plat is very straight forward, so the next piece to platinum will be separating farmed platinum from spendable platinum. Then I will add in the method to transfer the plat so it can be spent. From there I will add in the ability to raid, raid windows, capital clan cities, and of course the items and services that can be purchased using platinum.

The database table I setup for platinum will keep track of how much plat the clan currently has as well as a clan total. I thought it might be interesting to see which clans can keep together and how much they can earn over a lifetime. It will also keep track of every transaction and who made it. So whenever a player earns a plat, it will post who earned the plat, how much, what clan and when they did it as well as spending the plat. That way if you have more than one person able to spend it, you can track it. On another side I'm keeping a rolling total of how much platinum a player has made for their clan that get wiped if they leave the clan (the other table will always keep their history). When making this I had visions of clans being able to set milestones in platinum to "unlock" certain clan perks. Maybe a player needs to earn 1000 platinum before they can access the recruit bank as an example. There are actually a lot of possibilities aside from just spending it that it could be used for.

Anyway that's a big enough wall for tonight. I haven't decided if I'm going to go back to work now or hop in game and play around a bit. Either way, I'll probably be back with another post this weekend.

Until next time o/

2. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Transparency is always good for community relations.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Cudelr, Kalos, negocromn and 6 others like this.
  3. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

sounds like you are all over the place

4. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

Thank you for the insight. Just want to make sure you are not taking criticism of the game as an attack on you. It definitely seems you are heavily invested into it, just keep in mind the people who are criticizing things aren't trying to pull you down, but rather help the game succeed.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  5. tic tac

tic tac Dire Zombie
    Hero

Definitely keep these coming!

Yesterday I was actually thinking to myself about relics and what already existing system you could pull from for ease of implementation and had similar thoughts not the easiest of tasks.

Dixie Normus and Wes Furtive like this.
  6. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Are we still on track for having stolen platinum be on our backs like a trade pack that needs to be manually lugged away?

7. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Definitely.

Fengor, Johhny Mad Dog and Nat like this.
  8. Urek Mazino

Urek Mazino Wave Controller
    Benefactor Contributor

Yes weekly feedback is amazing

9. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Great writeup :) #devdiaries

Dixie Normus likes this.
  10. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

This has been my concern with RoA since launch, but I'm glad Killrain is updating us nonetheless

I'd like BPG to figure out what change/addition will most increase population and just start working on that even if it takes a long time.

Sometimes it almost feels like they procrastinate and push back the real fundamental/ potential population growth features in exchange for low hanging fruit that not a whole lot of people (especially MMORPG players outside the small still active in-game RoA community) really care enough about

Nat and Dixie Normus like this.
  11. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

He's not really all over the place lmfao. He's got 2 design/construction tasks and he's going through tackling problems that arise while coding...

Cudelr and DeadlyHit like this.
  12. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Seriously, very organised if you ask me.

13. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

l0st exile likes this.
  14. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Varangian Warthane
    Contributor

Nice. Clan platinum is interesting.

As for relics, you're going for completely random generation? ala diablo style looting?

Wes Furtive likes this.
  15. tommeh

tommeh Dire Zombie
    Contributor Hero

More effort on going f2p is needed if you ask me for population and revenue with a concrete roadmap that is not so scrambled and changing all the time. Updated UI with multiple default keybinding maps. Community vote on soft wipe or not for f2p.

Nat and onslaught like this.
  16. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

I'm guessing they wanna get a few things in before F2P, solid write up Kilrain, nice to see it didn't take a full day of dev time to do so!

17. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

I wish they would have done that before the game came out. They need to clean up the bindings and provide more information to noobs in game. Maybe more info on mob drops, shit like that. Fine tune everything and clean up bugs.

Johhny Mad Dog likes this.
  18. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Black Knight
    Staff Member

And we wish we had millions of dollars from investors so we could have done that and so much more, but we instead had to fund the project ourselves out of our own pockets.

It is best to try and look towards the future and what is needed to grow the population, rather than dwell on the past. We have learned plenty of lessons along the way and always try and find ways to make ourselves and the game better

19. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

I agree. My entire post was not dwelling on the past.

20. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Black Knight
    Staff Member

I was not trying to single you out or anything, only making a comment :grin:

onslaught likes this.