Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

About server location: Would this be possible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DiZMeX, Oct 20, 2015.

1. DiZMeX

DiZMeX New Member

Hey,

First off, as this is my first post here's a small introduction - I'm super excited that this is ACTUALLY happening... DFO coming back, that world, that gameplay, with new mechanics? Perfect. I was Brute Force on DFO if anyone remembers me.

Obviously I think 1 server would be best, so the world is full. I've heard this will be hosted in New York. As Darkfall is actually split in to zones (it feels seamless with no load screens, but you can tell when you cross into a different server cluster that little hitch) would it be possible to have different zones hosted in different locations? Allowing half the world to be hosted on NA servers, and half on EU servers for example and it still be a seamless experience?

I've been interested in Albion Online lately (that has zones with loading screens, but 1 world server) and I really liked how some zones are EU and some are US. Would this be possible with Darkfall?

2. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

hmm idk

I guess it could be possible but I doubt it would be worth the effort

3. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

At what point would you run into a loading screen? I feel like it would be very difficult to evenly split up the world in half and have just a giant instance running down the middle. It would fuck with so many sieges and everyday fights around that area. I understand the sentiment though.

4. Philberman

Philberman New Member
    Hero

I think he meant is it possible to achieve 2 different areas being hosted in different locations while still keeping it seamless with no load screens

5. DiZMeX

DiZMeX New Member

That's exactly what I meant :)

6. Leg enD

Leg enD Ghost

hosts would still have to sync, probably causing even more lag?

7. Riftmaster

Riftmaster Deadeye

What about the possibility of having one or more of the large islands hosted on other servers?

I'm not sure what that would do, but it might at least provide some areas of the game with much better pings for certain areas of the world.

On the other hand it would basically make them terrible pings for everyone else, depending on where....nah that would probably be a bad idea.

8. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

Based on how the game works, I don't think at this time it's possible.

The first problem I have is how do I shard the server into EU and NA? Which zones do I put where is the question. Some people from each region will avoid the other's areas to try and avoid the ping difference. Or people can play on the boundary for some undesired effects due to the servers needing to sync, and the latency to sync with the game servers in the other region.

If we had load screens I might be able to figure that out but unfortunately can't be so lucky.

The data centers we have looked at so far, most people from EU are looking at <100 ping, and I am trying very hard to keep it that way. Less than 100 ping won't be horrible, when the servers were in West Coast USA, I had 90 ping at best, 110 average, and it wasn't bad.

As for the location in New York, I'll do a bigger news post on this later but the short version is we did extensive tests of NA -> EU and EU -> NA, and found that people from EU had a better chance of getting to NA, (by that I mean like 20% better ping) than the NA players getting to EU. (Our ISP's SUCK)

What is really comes down to is, if the game is popular enough we can justify the data center in EU as well, and have two live games running at the same time we will. But for now we have to go with the best we can get, which is east cast North America.

As I posted a few days ago, I had posted a list of 4 data centers to check, these are narrowing the field down to 4 potential data centers including one we already had, but wanted to look for anything better, and we had found 2 we really liked. Once we confirm the final data center, I will be getting extensive tests done by the community to look at any routing problems, and look for solutions to it to try and lower the ping as much as possible.

If you have any concerns please let me know.

You would hit massive load lag when crossing server boundaries. (Hence load screens in other games while crossing servers) As I said as well we don't want people to outright just AVOID Nif because they might experience a less than desirable ping. We want the game to be as seamless as possible.l

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  9. trashsmasher

trashsmasher Crypt Guard

if you can't give everyone low ping at least make it consistent for them

albion is a unity game and has the most godawful netcode
    and swapping between 30 and 200 ping every two minutes (their tiles are 50m across lol) makes it even more jarring
    bad example.

10. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

Yes we are looking for a STABLE ping, even if it is slightly worse, the jitter is what causes the largest problems. One of our data centers has probing to check for jitter and will switch lines to ensure the most stable latency possible.

Once you get used to a certain ping you don't want it to change as you will naturally adapt. Switching constantly would be HELL.

11. Zeb

Zeb Infernal
    Wealthy Hero

Its good to see you guys put this much tought into it, makes me want to say inappropriate things in interesting ways

12. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

Ooooo do go on.

I am the one busting my ass on this part ;) (and I need a 2ms ping for my crafting, time is money friend!)

13. DAlonso

DAlonso Finance Lead
    Team Lead

That's it. If ping is under 130-140 ms the most important thing in Darkfall is how stable it is.
    We played in EU server all time, and we recently switched to NA server. Going from 60ms to 130ms.
    You get a new timming and you have to adapt to a new way to aim and do the melee.
    But once you get used to the new timming you can be competitive again.

14. Gotja

Gotja Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Eu can have Niflheim while the players who matter can have everything else

15. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

Cairn hosted in Australia
    Yssam hosted in Brazil

16. yewhatever

yewhatever Stormgraive

Oh come on, clearly EU would be mainland.
    Russia is yssam.
    Australia is cairn.
    Ruby is S america.
    Niffle is N america. (have you seen how big that frozen wasteland is that they call canada?) ice with ice

17. Lord Kick

Lord Kick Crypt Guard
    Legend

This is actually a very interesting concept... Cut the world map into 4 quadrants, and then the Agon map into 4 quadrants (giving holdings a ~2 tile radius for siege stability) and then we have our world map server locations... Base out of where you live globally and then defend yourself with your best ping and if you want to go take over the world... you attack at a disadvantage. As home base advantage is always preferable.

I don't like the idea... just that it is quite interesting.

18. yewhatever

yewhatever Stormgraive

no its a horrible idea.

Its much better to play with 120 ping consistantly, than it is to hop between 30-90-120 all the time (depending which region you fight).
    You learn timings, and practicing those over and over is what makes a good player.
    If the timings change all the time, you cant get used to anything.

Its why a stable ping of 120 is better than a ping spiking to 90 every now and then, while at 50 normally.

19. GrimReapiN

GrimReapiN Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor

Absolutely.

There are options for players with high ping, such as battle ping. We'll have more to say on this in the coming weeks, but just know that we're making ping a big focus because, well let's be honest, it's one of the most important issues to solve.

Hell, you can already see how serious were taking it, just look at rawr's threads about ping.

20. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

Battle ping?