Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Add mobs that fight each other

Discussion in 'Project Suggestions' started by Rune_Dragoon, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Rune_Dragoon

Rune_Dragoon Goblin Scout

The thought is to add mobs in the empty places of Agon that look like they should have things in them and then have the mobs fight each other with the possibility of a game mechanic built around them where a player can choose a side and get cool rewards. Just a thought.

Scrapnotcrap, VoQeles and Billy Lee like this.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

We do have some long term ideas around some more advanced AI like that. There's a major blocker though to all fancy features like that we need to fix first though which has to do with the way monsters sense objects around them. Static spawns we build a path file that identifies all objects in the spawn but it is generated ahead of time. We need to build in a system that mobs can dynamically adjust to their surroundings while the server is live to open up those possibilities. It's on our long term list of wants though we love the idea of more dynamic systems using mobs.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    VoQeles likes this.
  3. VoQeles

VoQeles Goblin Warrior

I remember suggesting something like this in ND, the idea was to add battle sites over empty forts or other landmarks which would have NPCs spawn from 2 factions occasionally (for example Alfar and Mirdain NPCs on alfar mirdain border) and then those would fight each other and players belonging to their respective enemy factions. So the NPCs would be not like traditional NPCs but might have properties of a player for combat mechanics (have the monster be able to identify player allegiance and be hostile or friendly based on that). Then depending on the outcome it would have some result - I guess it was a faction mechanic I was thinking of.

I wasn't 100% sure what the outcome of a battle would be but it would have been some perks and rewards. It might be that at the end the winning faction "takes control" of the objective and the player can speak to an NPC to get a reward, it might be that it has a faction contribution reward system, or sometimes maybe it will turn into an actual stronghold for a period that will allow players belonging to that faction to bank, craft etc in places that you can't usually (imagine for example on Rubiyat in the center the big ruins near the open Sun Exarch / Fire Giant area).

Well, it was a long time now but still on the back of my mind somewhere. I really think it's a great idea if it's possible. Especially if it was somewhat random and had good incentives, this would be a replayable content with random levels of "worth".

4. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem

Definitely a cool idea, in the designs we've talked about for the faction system with EoW I wanted to add in some kind of NPC involvement. It won't be just a PvP system though that is planned to be part of it of course.

5. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Crypt Guard
    Benefactor

I have had Gargantua aggro on shroud knights at center spawns like 10 times. Hey, free shroud knight loot xD

6. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem

Yeah if mobs hit each other it sometimes triggers them on each other lol :)

7. Degamra

Degamra Earth Elemental
    Hero

BPG should do more GM events. I remember AV doing it alot in UW. They would put that spiral on the map where the event was going to take place, and a GM would operate some super tanky big boss mob, and groups would fight each other and try and take the mob down at the same time, was pretty fun tbh. Considering the current state of the game, you'd think orchestrated live events by GMs to spice things up would be a given tbh to hold people over until any actual content ever gets added

8. Zuul Ghat

Zuul Ghat Dire Zombie
    Legend

Can I pay the local Goblins 100 lizards-on-a-stick to attack Mehatil?

9. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

It's already like that. A bunch of shround kngihts killed a gargantua for me. As i was marking a rune, the guargantua was very low. I shot him a few more time and he was down. I got my potion and i was good.

Kidding aside:

Would be interesting to see mobs fight each others. In DnD, mobs would usually kill wild-life on sight.

10. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

I imagine this will cause a lot of lag, lets just add more to the game to lower the performance, it seems to be getting worse as time goes on anyway.

11. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Last I played the texture changes increased FPS by a huge margin... What happend?

12. Bakken

Bakken Goblin Warrior

This would be cool for TCS if some NPCs are fighting boarders that you can help