Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Add Reaction Blocking and Dodge Rolling

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Ryco Stormeye, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Crypt Guard

One thing I love about RoA is the FPS combat. However I would like some more defensive options than just holding down the block/parry button.

There are times when I am engaged in melee or can see a incoming spell but because we dont have animation cancelling I cant block fast enough. I can see the hit coming but I cant block it. Please add animiation cancelling to block so it stop my melee swing and I can block the incoming hit.

Also dodge rolling in other games is a fun mechanic to get out of AoE attacks. You could modify side step for this function as it already has the double tap to activate (make it cost alot of stamina so people dont use it all the time).

2. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

Sounds like you want UW

It Died. RoA will be next if they don't make some more changes soon....

3. Ryco Stormeye

LOL any suggestion these days is jumped on in a negative way. One thing similar to another game and you must want that ENTIRE game. Yeah DFUW died cause of reaction blocking (which it didnt have) and dodge rolling (it had one skill evade)... give me a break.

Maybe we need a intelligence test to be able to post on these forums? The quality of some people posts is really pathetic.

4. FenrirFrauki

FenrirFrauki New Member

Says the guy who just suggested they add dodge rolling to the game. LMAO

Slayven likes this.
  5. Ryco Stormeye

Instead of laughing at a idea, why dont you say what you dont like about it. What are the cons to the idea?

At the moment you can AoE the hell out of people but they cant get out the way?

6. The Red King

The Red King Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

I AGREE!!!! They should, UW had animation cancelling. So like I stated, UW had both of what you asked for.

DUH

7. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Both UW and New Dawn made timed blocking and perfect blocks a thing (and I loved it!)

Pressing block should automatically cancel your swing and start blocking

Blocking at just the right time before opponent connects should reduce damage more and cost attacker extra Stam but the longer you hold block without releasing the less damage mitigation it should do and the more stamina per second it should cost you

Predisable should be removed , disable cool down should be decreased to compensate

And yes evade or a dodge roll makes the game way more fun

I really don't understand people who hate on more skills/ movement/ more complex melee/ more back and forth in melee / more defensive play. These same people actually think the game would be better and more skillful with only white hits, WRONG

I actually enjoyed UW from mid 2014+ it was a better game than RoA

New Dawn also had some other good ideas combat wise

The sad reality is 90% of the people still here are stuck in the mud and hate any changes, and nothing anyone says matters anyway because BPG either can't or won't make the changes we request, they are extremely limited in their technical abilities as developers, where as Ub3rgames were fantastic developers , but financially retarded businessmen

This games looong dead, better to look forward to new games

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Zuul Ghat likes this.
  8. Methodico

Methodico Winterbound

Yes UW was Darkfall without many shit things. And i think that BPG have to start from there because now we are stuck in the same place of df 1 but with less grind (a good thing). Maybe we need, Eascape from Agon, like Tarkov but Darkfall.

9. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

What? The speed at which one can parry is insane. Are you sure you're talking about RoA or are you posting on the wrong forum?

Animation canceling does nothing for this game.

Pro-tip: Sidestep is already great for avoiding knockups and AoE spells when you combine it with parrying and looking in the direction opposite of where you jump. Refer to my most recent Sero wager video.

Blaze and Sero like this.
  10. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Make better decisions.Mitigating damage with parry is easy in this game, so is stormblasting out of WoFs and away from targets. Dodge rolling? Are you for real? Even if this team was capable of doing that, this isn't Dark Souls. That stupid air flip shit from DF:UW was aids.

Blaze and The Red King like this.
  11. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Evade in UW was fun AF, IDC what any of you kids say

I also liked vamp strike, trueshot, piercing shot, puncture, lunge

Really all of the new melee archery skills were good additions, although maybe lacerate, lunge, and pummel should have stayed 1 hand only

And for magic tornado was way better

I even liked heightened reflexes, dash, and stampede

More movement and melee archery abilities are NOT bad things .

The reality is in 2015 UW was a way better game than RoA, and way more appealing to more types of players... the ONLY reason not to like it is if you were one of the 0.001% of players who only cared about winning every 1v1 solely because player skill and hated anyone having a different build than you which might affect the outcome if you were only slightly better than them.

I thought like that for a while, but came to see that UW and character diversity really was what was best for the game, you didn't automatically know who would win every fight before it played out. And there were other ways to win rather than just individual player skill, especially in group fights.

12. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Lunge was a cool spell

13. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

ICESKATE MOVEMENT - CHECK
    BANDAGE - CHECK
    EVADE - CHECK
    BLATANT HACKING SHOOTING THROUGH BUSH AT 3:10 - CHECK
    TTK LONGER THAN THE AVERAGE GAME OF CS:GO - CHECK

Could only stand to watch it for 3 minutes, but I'm sure theres more. Dogshit game.

Probably had lots of problems with it other than things I can see on video as well. Fact of the matter is, if UW was so great and appealing, it would be available to play right now.

I'm all for exploring new skills, but not stupid ones. Evade was stupid. Press button immediately get away or towards target. Weeeeeeeeeeee. So were all the dumb cone attacks

#13 Sero, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  14. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

Side step is really good for dodging if timed and used corretly tbh, also I agree parry is easy if u time it it correctly, personally I like the system atm, because if i magma someone who is casting heal self, they cant just stop the animation and block, I should be rewarded for landing a knockup while they are mid way through spell casting. Also Imagine casting a magma or spell respect and u see someone coming at u in melee say a destro? Oh i messed up, I can just cancel this LONG spell and block and not be punished for poor positioning and spell selection, my thoughts on making it so u can cancel animations

15. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

you know, as dumb as it sounds i think dfuw coulda made a decent BR type game.

anyone remember the first month of realm royal before it turned dog shit? thats kinda what I think UW could have become. Drop in on one of the 4 agon continents and go crazy. Cities/hamlets/mob ruins could be your basic gear/consume hubs, villages coulda been like mega good gear/consume type shit.

Game didn't have too many skills, not too many binds, easyish to land abilities, not too complicated to learn. I think something like that could have been a massive hit during the BR craze. 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 team play queue woulda been cool.

Something I read here just sparked that and I decided to write it down. GL if 30+ people decide to fight in one spot though. Carry on.

#15 propain, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  16. Ryco Stormeye

Everyone mentioned blocking VS incoming spells but not blocking vs melee.

If you are mid swing you cannot turn it into a block until that swing is finished. Even in PvE it would be nice to think "Oh shit and block" when you see a incoming attack. Often you can hit block and nothing happens because the game thinks you were swinging because of the left click hold for melee swings.

Its amazing how resisitant to change people are. Can we not just try it out on the test serevr for a while? If its OP or complely fucks the game up then ok dont implement it. But without trying it first you can't know. You can think you know but thinking is not experiance.

17. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

Think before you swing is what a lot of people enjoy about the game big dog..

Andrew, Blaze and The Red King like this.
  18. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@Ryco Stormeye If we wanted M&B or Mordhau combat, then we'd play them. It sounds like you prefer that combat, so I suggest you check out those games and see if they pique your interest.

Featherbeans and The Red King like this.
  19. Volfen

Volfen Celestial
    Staff Member Developer Loyal Legend

As a high ping player I disapprove, keep in mind there's 1 server for the entire world. Parry is already OP in the game, low ping parry is just plain broken. If anything it needs to be nerfed.

20. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

I mean if u wanted to block peoples melee going into melee with your shield already blocking after they swing u swing. Not against change, tbh would rather the devs work on content over more combat changes at this point, this system also helps low pingers even more and screws over high pingers even more.