Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

After reading the general road map.

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Tazmanian Devil, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Well said

Telemachos likes this.
  2. Hyld

Hyld Infernal
    Legend

Issue was not only the alleged script, but the abuse of this exploit in itself.

Regards
    HG

3. b1naryher0

b1naryher0 Goblin Warrior

Bunnyhopping was fine...
    If you needed a script to press space bar then your fingers seriously lack common motor skills.
    Timing bhops is not hard at all. The hard part was angling it correctly on uneven ground.

Edit:
    I think a bigger cooldown on stormblast and begone is needed though.
    Ideally for me, these spells should be used when you need a big spike in distance, not for travel.
    I do agree that mounts should be faster than they were though.
    If you increase the cd on stormblast and begone you would be able to keep up with a mount for ~1-2 minutes. Which i think is perfect.

#83 b1naryher0, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Xipos<3 likes this.
  4. Xipos<3

Xipos<3 Stormgraive
    Legend

Mounted combat gets gimped by higher mount speed though, unless turning speed gets adjusted accordingly aswell.

5. ODB

ODB Akathar
    Hero

Look if people = faster than ships I want to have a flying purple dildo mount to fly around on.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Xipos<3, Ulfang Blackmane and Andrew like this.
  6. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Goblin Shaman
    Legend

I concur

7. b1naryher0

b1naryher0 Goblin Warrior

You guys don't even know what you are arguing about...
    I would understand it if you talked about it from a game design perspective, but just saying "omg unrealistic lol" doesn't make much sense since its NOT people who are faster than ships, but the magic they used.

Ships were faster then people in DFO.
    Ships were not faster then magic though, which i think is fine, for short distance.

If you employed my previously mentioned fix, then these spells could be used to board ships, but not catch up with them.

8. ODB

ODB Akathar
    Hero

Listen bro you can have the most illogical, mystical, my little pony game in the world and still have some type of logic behind how the ridiculous fantasy systems work.

Whats the point of a ship if one Wizzard can use his "magic stick" to catch the damn thing.

That's basically saying the amount of resources it takes my clan to build our ship + time to accrue these resources < the resources it takes to create a complete gear set + time to accrue these resources.

I say to thee "WTF IS THE POINT OF A SHIP?"

If you want a Sandbox role-playing MMORPG then god damnit there should be some logic behind decisions.

A BALANCE if you will.

Hyld likes this.
  9. Obeesho

Obeesho Frostjarl
    Prosperous Affluent Legend

Alright here's the deal with water and ships and stuff.

First of all, let's be realistic for a moment. We will be lucky to get the game back just as it was. What are the odds that fans of the game will have the skills, time, and dedication to make it happen?

I don't know but I will be impressed and amazed if it happens.

Then changes...

Tryhard is correct. Slow, small, and careful changes or risk ruining the best game ever made.

BUT, with that said here's what needs to happen:

The shader version that everybody used had water as a dull flat shade which allowed unlimited visibility underwater. There was no choice for competitive play.

There was another shader choice which made the water glossy and shiny and blurred the underwater view. This should be the only shader available.

Secondly... Retractable nets on the ships.

Thirdly, and most controversially, swimming should have a huge stamina drain such that a river crossing is the extent of what can be swum without running out of stam and drowning.

Fourthly there should be a lightweight two man canoe to be able to cross water which would previously have been swum.

Fifthly: the main problem with ships was the unlimited ability to repair them. Ship battles were about repair shards rather than damage dealt. Big ships could have two repair stations, small ships one. A limit to how fast repairing can happen.

There you go. You're welcome!

Clarence Swamptown likes this.
  10. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Retractable nets was arguably one of the worst things added to the game IMO. There's absolutely no way to board a boat from the water at that point, which takes away from the element of being boarded from water or from being rammed by another boat.

Third and fourth: ehhh

Limiting repairs definitely brought this up a few times myself I think.

11. Hyld

Hyld Infernal
    Legend

There is no relation with magic. Bunnyhopping, Bunnywaterskiing, mounthopping were NOT magic; they were an unintended exploit of game mechanics; some of them required, as a start up, the use (or I shoudl say ABUSE) of ONE spell, the rest of the action had no relation to magic, neither intentional nor non intentional.

Having said this they can be a addition to the game (if fine tuned) or they can keep breaking it as they did when the game closed down, although that pleased a few "kewl smart dewds" ...

Regards
    HG

12. BlackSun

BlackSun Deadeye

In UW, yes. in DFO, no. Just saying.

13. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

Don't turn this game into UW.
    AV already tried this and failed.
    Please focus on ADDING content, not on ruining what was fun about DFO.

Fuck retractable nets.

Fengor likes this.
  14. Obeesho

Obeesho Frostjarl

Yeah it's tricky because it was very good as it was. But it could have been better.

Ships are probably not the best area of the game for me to comment on because I was not as familiar with all the dynamics of that aspect of the game as I was with solo wandering pvp.

If all of the changes I proposed a couple of posts up were implemented it would be a major change to the game.

However, to me the water aspect of the game was one of the weirder and least appealing parts of the game.

The flat shader with unlimited visibility should be removed. But with that change alone water would be one easy escape route. Game breaking really.

But taken as a whole these changes would make ships useful. More than that... Necessary.

Sure when you are on a ship you would be safe from everything except sea monsters and other ships.

That's a big change, but I bet there would be more ships.

15. Erock

Erock Varangian Warthane
    Legend

To clarify I don't want to remove water skiing I just don't want begone to be as fast as boats. As for the shader thing I don't know about limiting graphics options DFUW tried that and it was terrible. DFO may run better, not sure. I don't like retractable nets at all completely made me not want to go to sea towers on a boat or just as a scuba diver.

Ogrinn and Clarence Swamptown like this.
  16. Obeesho

Obeesho Frostjarl

This is the flat shader which everybody used because it allowed you to see long distance underwater:

In this fight in the same spot, you can see the other shader (actually the default shader) which makes the water glossy and pretty. Nobody used it because the underwater view was blurred. But the performance was fine. Shouldn't everyone be seeing the same world?

17. Ultra Combo

Ultra Combo Spellgazer

I disagree with a lot of this post. I liked B hopping and how it worked. I liked begone and how it worked. I liked water fighting a lot and how it worked. I don't think any of it needed any changing. I like the idea of adding content not messing with stuff that was already fun in the game.

18. Mighty Mouse

Mighty Mouse Akathar
    Legend

B hopping was amazing so many people where really good at it. I plan to practice and master the skill when I get into game. Please don't take it out.

19. Glass Cannon

Glass Cannon New Member

What I read in this thread: WAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAH BUNNY HOP WAAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH GIVE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH IT WAAAAAAAH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BACK WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH SNIFF SNIFFFFFF WAAAAHHHH

Stop crying already. The game isn't even in Alpha.

If someone is skilled enough to take on 3 guys with bunny hops and macros and shit, then when that is taken away FROM ALL PLAYERS, don't you think that evens out the playing field?

The "skilled" guys will still theoretically be better than others and 3 vs 1 will still be possible.

Unless..

The "skilled" guys aren't really that skilled and they are simply abusing bugs and exploits and macros to win.

TL;DR : Good players don't complain. They use any tools available to dominate others. If they cannot, they simply aren't good in the first place.

20. Rigan

Rigan Goblin Scout

Bunny hopping was always a joke. I used it, of course I did, you were a fool not to, but just because it was available to use, it didnt make it "right".

I'm all for a change to bunnyhopping, only have a few options really;

-Leave it as is
    - Introduce death/uncionciousness by fall damage
    - Longer CD between jumping (which would REALLY be a last resort imo)

It was just one of those really grey areas. I liked it at times, but when it was faster than mounts and ships then it just got abit stupid. I really think bringing in death by fall damage is the better solution, meet in the middle, let people have the chance to perform 3-4 hops, to escape the zergs, but anymore and you are done for. Well at least until you auto-revive, assuming they introduce the auto revive.