Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Alts are dumb

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ProfessorWombat, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Shredz

Shredz Dire Zombie

alt = 100g a day... why not have a trader in sanguine n a simi afk naked wood cutter/gather

game time token 10k divided by 30 days

2. Lord Zanuul

Lord Zanuul Spellgazer
    Legend

Everyone needs to pay attention to this quote because it is mirrored throughout all the posts in this forum you cannot force a player to play the way you want them to play the game the reason why this is happening is because it is a natural progression and adaptation to the circumstances of the environment if you did make those adjustments you would simply be alienating those players this is not how you solve the problem you must change the core of the environment to suit the growth of the game until you do that you're just wasting time ... in other words you should be catering to what players really want to do but in doing so you change the very nature of the game this is a sacrifice that I just don't think this community is ready to accept

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Mycke likes this.
  3. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

if you dont own an alt for how cheap it is making gold on a main, you are doing it wrong. They pay for themselves the first day

4. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

why are ppl always taking the cost as a factor to wether or not some1 has an alt. i doubt anyone who doesnt have an alt atm gives a shit about those 10 bucks or 10k gold for any month after that. that is not the issue at all. no1 gives a fuck about 10 bucks. there is tons of valid reasons not to have an alt. some1 could have a bad pc that cant handle 2 accounts very well or simply overheats while doing so for example or god forbid some1 could have the brains to comprehend why its really bad for the game if everyone has one or some1 may simply not enjoy playing 2 accounts at the same time and rather quit and move to another game. the list is long but the extra cost for it is at the very bottom of it for the majority of the playerbase im sure.

Just Steve likes this.
  5. Swing

Swing Infernal
    Legend

I like alts so I can conduct erotic furry roleplay by myself.

Prodigy_Burn, Fawley, rats and 2 others like this.
  6. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

you take the cost into account because its so cheap its almost questionable if someone doesnt have an alt if they have a good enough computer to run 2 clients. There is no reason to not have one, even if you only use it to gather, or only to trade, hell even only to scout and nothing else, they are so valuable to own one. Especially if someone is a casual player and they are able to gather on an alt in the short time they have to play, it more than helps contribute to affording that meditation. Its just very helpful

7. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

Mycke approves...

Swing likes this.
  8. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

ye but the point is it should not be allowed because it gives such insane advantages over players who dont have one for whatever reason while some of these advantages are actually hurting the game as a whole. if ppl werent allowed to have an alt trading wouldnt be centralized in sang. instead there would be ppl running all over the world for trades. the whole economy would be much more realistic cos you would have different prices for the same mats based on the availability of that specific mat in the region your trying to trade in. like i said there is a billion cons to allowing alts with only one true pro and that is the extra money BPG makes of it and that pro is even debatable cos you dont know how many ppl have quit or didnt even start cos of the insane advantages you get from running 2 accounts.

Zeiken likes this.
  9. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

As long as capital recalls exist as well as the portal network, people will always centralize for trades. A drop in alts would also put an increase on normal materials, raw resources etc, which puts an increased cost and difficulty to make a gear bag, which in turn will make the game less desirable for a casual player.

rats likes this.
  10. ProfessorWombat

ProfessorWombat Goblin Warrior

Let me clarify I'm not saying reds are scumbags because I've been red. The only difference is when I was red I lived out of a chaos city like a man until I was blue again the scumbags are the reds who go red and then just are like fuck the system and buy another account so he can have a bluey supply and trade all his loot off the other guy

11. Madmatt

Madmatt Deadeye
    Hero

Yeah but those people are "hardcore".

12. donutkebab

donutkebab Goblin Warrior

A problem since the first real MMOs started...

Ultima online: multi accounts, easier skill macroing while doing stuff on other accounts
    DAoC: Buffbots pretty much needed for PvP, also huge advantage for PvE or boosting yourself
    EQ, WoW and so on: Multiboxing which is even more extreme because of multi actions at the same time for every client (15 man ele shaman arathi...hue hue so funny... hue ... /s)
    Mortal Online and DF are kinda similar on this topic: Advantages across the board but more just for crafting, trading and dungeon buffing + scout

The game company could make it much harder to have multiple accounts and/or multiple clients running at the same time (Hardware ID, launcher can be set to only allow 1 client) and this would just hinder most of the people doing it. Just the try hards would still use VPN, virtual machines and so on to have those advantages but most people would not go this way I think. It is like that in some asia grinder MMOs and some western MMOs afaik.

The big problem? $$$

But just look at the community, how big is it? Pretty small but many players have alt account(s) and each account is worth as much as another player for BPG.

My opinion is as well, that multi clienting damages many factors of MMOs, especially with trading and alignement system.
    But well, I also enjoyed multiboxing in other games, am used to it and in my opinion, if the game dev allows something AND the game mechanics are built like that, I just don't want to have the disadvantage of not having it.

Bad conscience? Well, kinda BUT I just tell myself: "many people doing it AND it helps the dev! all good hue hue!" ...

13. ProfessorWombat

ProfessorWombat Goblin Warrior

That's like the opposite of hardcore

14. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

The only things that bother me with alts are alts in dungeons and buff bots. The first I think could be easily solved by having it so you either can't logout in dungeons (character stays online) or logging out in dungeons ports you out to the exit. The second is a result of the braindead buff other mechanics, making farming solo with an alt almost as efficient as farming with another real person but without the need to share the loot, obviously changes to the buff other mechanics are needed here.

15. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

capital recall is a blue only thing tho and when im in elflands and the guy i wanna buy from is in dorflands i doubt we will end up saying "hey lets meet up in sanguine because portals are cool" no the buyer will usually come to the seller where ever he may be.

about the possible cost increase. ye you´re probably right but id gladly take that to get rid of all the other negative effects alts have on the game. dont forget that it goes both ways too. it would be much more profitable for the casual player to do some gathering too and its not like gear is hard to come by as it is atm. i havent gathered at all since like week 2 and i can literally make 300 armor sets right now with just the shit ive gotten from pve. weapons come from pve aswell even tho they arent as good as crafted but still. i really doubt it would have a big impact on the availability of gear bags.

Mycke likes this.
  16. donutkebab

donutkebab Goblin Warrior

Ya I was seriously confused when tested the log-out function in dungeons....this shit is stupid right now.

Buff others., ya....something like "group buffs"/auras with range AND aggro (so no afk alts possible at spawns) ....meh whatever

17. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

The casual player doesnt want to come home from work with 2-4h to play and sit at their computer and gather or use their time to travel to do a trade. Also, the mob type determines what they will be getting. If they are nowhere near a spawn for weapons they use, then they wont get any. Gear wise, its too inconsistent and garbage to rely on gear from monsters. However, if you have access to an alt, you can use it to do a trade or gather for you, allowing you to actually play the game on your main and do something you enjoy. I didn't have an alt until the game time tokens were introduced and now i cant see myself playing without one. Another way i can explain it would be like playing with 1 monitor vs having 2 monitors. Once you have 2, ull never go back.

18. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

the discussion isnt about wether its good or bad to have an alt in terms of comfort or efficiency. ofc its good. no1 can possibly argue against that. the point of the discussion is wether or not its good for the game and in that regard the cons outweight the pros by far.

#38 Biceps, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  19. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

It makes the game look more populated when people take screenshots of the sanguine bank though ;)

Mycke likes this.
  20. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

You and others say "I have my main acc to do the stuff I enjoy, while on my alt I can trade, craft, and gather while playing my main". Gather while actively farming a spawn or pvping? How the fuck do you do that. Gathering isn't walk up to a SINGLE node and afk at it for 8 hours. It takes 30 seconds to a minute to deplete a node then physically move to the next. How is that afk gathering by any means? Alt tabbing between the two to gather a node then kill mobs, then rinse repeat isn't afk. Other mmo's have character slots to make alts on the same account, if everyone was given the fair opportunity at the same gameplay(alts) then I'd say I wouldn't care about alts. But since it's behind a $10 sub fee or GTT after the first month of purchase, is really shit design. If alts are so good and "everyone should have one or you're doing it wrong". then alts should be on one account with a character selecter not behind a $10 sub paywall.

Truthfully you're arguing against your own statement and just painting a even worse picture for alts, and all the "benefits" that go around having a impactful SINGLE character per account. So when you go red, it means something, killing someone has a purpose. By that player killing players and going -1000 alignment, but at the same time owns a 200 alignment alt account so he can be blue and transfer stuff through a clan bank. Then what the fuck is the point of going red or blue at all? Why have an alignment system if people are going to buy an alt to go AROUND the alignment system to trade/gather in "lawful" area's near zap towers. Your argument is moot and has no ground to defend from your PoV. All the power lays behind owning an alt to avoid the red penalties. Someone only owning one account and being red, extremely limits them to trading and so forth brought up by this thread's talking points of alts. And that's what red is suppose to do, being red is you killing players to be a "criminal", forcing you out of capital cities where 90% of trade is taken place. Having an alt when your red on your main, circumvents this and ruins the whole point of meaningful/impactful SINGLE characters per account, AND ruins the alignment system entirely if people bypass it with alts/clan banks.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #40 Killa162, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Zeiken likes this.