Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Always look for ways to reduce the grind.

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Suncross, May 15, 2017.

1. Suncross

Suncross Ghost

The grind in the game should be somewhat of a fun experience, because this is a game, and we play it for fun. One of the major changes RoA has right now, which generally stops people from macroing, is the scroll system. It's great because people cant skill up on players, so that eliminates the need to macro right? It's a great idea, but it needs to be expanded on because not being able to see benefits from using countless regs in team pve grind sessions for healing and buffing is just not that fun. It creates an added grind to the game regardless of how "fast and better" skilling through scrolls are.

My only suggestion right here is not to change the system at all, but just augment it by one simple addition: After a short time of clearing mob waves, players should get a PvE buff that allows some gains for all the healing and buff other spells while they are in range of the mob spawn / dungeon they are in. This way while players are grinding, they are seeing benefit from everything they are doing, not a latent benefit that they might see later based off of possibly getting some essence from what they are farming. It's also beneficial by encouraging groups of people to go out farming instead of solo farming. Thoughts?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

I think just letting selfbuffs, wards and spells like witches brew level (althuogh VERY slow) would be an improvement. Bring those original DFO grind rates in so at least it doesn't feel like a waste casting a spell and seeing it not level.

Suncross and gosti like this.
  3. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

There's only 3 heal spells, 165 scrolls and you'll never level them again. Then you're back to the "no gains" feel again. Probably should stay like it is.
    --- Post updated ---
    Any gain at all and the incentive to macro returns. Like for instance, suppose you start a brand new character, then start macroing Heal Self. It only takes like 2 or 3 days and you'll be working on Lesser Magic Intensify with decent Int gains. So you can technically macro Int like this, it's legit worth it. All with a starter staff.

Scrubby Bear likes this.
  4. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

Not that I think the game is in bad state right now, on the contrary, but I said from the beginning that all spells should still slowly level by use as macroing would be made worthless by scrolls and the new loot tables.

Zuul Ghat likes this.
  5. Suncross

Suncross Ghost

That same argument can be made for literally everything in this game, and you even reinforce this with a negative statement saying that people have this "no gains" feel. Having a maxed out character with reagent conservation is a totally different feeling than trying to get there. At that (being maxed out that is, because I was at one once) point I am worried about things other than the cost and grind for regs. There should be no apologies for this aspect of the system, as it is not fun to expend resources and time and get nothing for it. I would even say mrW knows what's up, but that would open up the gates to macroing again.

6. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I mean it's obvious that it feels rewarding to level your spell every time it is used. However, when one of those ways is exploitable, you have to do something about it.

7. hirve

hirve Goblin Warlord

darkfall isn't about instant gratification

this isn't a game for moba players sorry

darkfall is not for you

you must just not be hardcore enough

kids these days don't know how to work for anything

etc

8. Suncross

Suncross Ghost

But the method that I just suggested still wont allow people to macro, and it will solve that issue that some people are having with the fact that the grind in this game is right now not that fun. I think its great that we got rid of macroing, and I also thing the scroll system is awesome, but so far no one has really found a downside to this. It's only good.

They haven't added the rank, but I am one of the untrollables.

9. Wendigo

Wendigo Dire Zombie

[​IMG]
    Engagement? Multiple keys of fun throughout gameplay??? Now why the hell would we want that?

Suncross likes this.