Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

An arena ladder system

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by propain, Jul 16, 2017.

1. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

I meant for this to be in project suggestion forum. If a mod can move this that would be swell.

I want to propose how I envision an arena ladder type system working in Darkfall. This game needs a more competitive nature to it and it needs a fast way to get fights when roaming or sieging just don't cut it. No, this will not be like your traditional system where you risk nothing by sitting in a NPC city all day or what have you. There will be an actual sink (however small) and it will force you into the actual world.

• The first thing proposed is that you actually have to travel in the world to the queue up location. Preferably to have a dozen or so of these scattered about to prevent camping of them but enough to still have chance encounters.
    • Second is that you must pay a fee to enter. This can't be too large or too small. I propose something like 500g to 1000g per entry. The gold is then lost forever. This provides a gold sink for the good of the game and a reason to get people out in the world still. 500g goes quick if you spam the ladder all day. No, the winner does not gain the gold. They will have other incentives to play the ladder.
    • For the 2v2 and 4v4 system to work each player is able to create his own arena team name. On this arena team name is a roster. The 2v2 team can hold up to 4 people on its roster and the 4v4 team can hold up to 6 people. When you actually queue up you must be in a party with the required amount of people on this roster. This is simply to represent these people on the leaderboard and its easier to track a team than 4 individual players. Solo players in the 1v1 bracket will just have their name displayed.
    Here is the way I envision an arena functioning as easy as possible.
    • You can join as 1v1, 2v2, or the 4v4 system.
    • When your Queue pops you have 60 seconds to accept of you will forfeit the match. You cannot accept if you were in combat for the previous 20 seconds.
    • When you win or lose you will be sent back to where you queued up.
    • You and --if partied-- your team will then be teleported to one of a few arenas. These arenas are not accessible by the public and they vary in terrain.
    • After you have accepted the queue pop the game will register that both you and your opponent(s) Queue pop registered past its time limit. When this happens you will have 2 1/2 minutes to gear/buff/ready yourself for the fight. Putting on gear is almost instantaneous here.
    • Upon entering the arena you WILL be naked. Your items will return to you after the arena. There will be multiple chests when you load in that you can choose your attire from. Bag sorted of course.
    • You will spawn in with 150 of each reagent/fine arrows, 3 of each greater potion, 1 panacea potion, 1 mount, 1 of each food (blueberry cobbler, fish and chips, fried onions), 25 battlespikes, arcane jewelry and a dwarven defender shield. The items in the chests will offer you up to R60 weapons/bows/staffs and up to Full plate armor in addition to a variety of Q3 enchanted gemstones for you to use.
    • To win a 1v1 match you must kill your opponent. To win a group match you must gank or let the opponents bleed out.
    • The leader board will reset every 45 days providing rewards to the top players explained below.
    • Add in a system later down the line if Arena becomes all there is to be by limiting the amount of plays per day/hour.
    The way I envision this system is that it creates a meta of its own. The terrain will play a part, the time limit to start the match may play a part (sometimes you might not be able to buff yourself and your entire squad in the time it takes to figure out your gear set), the gear offered is the same but based on who your fighting you may switch it up or maybe someone is good at mount fighting in your team? Give him your mount. The meta in this place may be different and change compared to the outside world and it will make for entertaining fights and maybe even allow streamers to have a new luxury.

The rewards and incentives. There is not much I want to offer for this. This is meant to be something you do for the fight and the fight/bragging rights alone. Not to make a living off of.
    • You and your 'team' get their names onto the leader board for bragging rights based on their bracket.
    • If you reach the top 3 within' your bracket (1v1, 2v2, 4v4) you gain a unique title. New titles are added every reset.
    • The top player or team of each bracket at the end of each reset will be rewarded the materials needed to craft a R80 weapon of their choosing. For the 2v2/4v4 system your team will only be given the materials to make two or four R80 weapons -- not the material for everyone on your team roster.
    This is a massive developer under taking but I believe this is the content this game needs. It needs something to do when all else is expended. When your tired of running the map in search of low health farmers, or jumping in cities or your just burnt out from the siege last night. So you just want to log in and find a few fair fights to blow off. The fear is that an arena system will just promote logging in to arena and log out and that the world will be dead but I believe that placing the system in the world and demanding a fee (that can be scaled) will eventually force people out and about to continue to queue up and still allow for open world encounters and substantially provide a PvP hostspot.

Plus this is the type of content needed for streamers. This gets people competitive and interested in Darkfall as a spectator sport. Darkfall sucks ASS to stream yet streaming is one of the most profitable and influential aspects of gaming in 2017. Darkfall needs to adapt.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 propain, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    The Red King and Wes Furtive like this.
  2. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Is this something that would allow people to sit around in sang or where ever just waiting to a match? something they could do exclusively if they so desired I mean you said the gear is given to them so they would not need to do much in order to take part. People buy gold so all you would need is reagents or are those free also? just asking serious questions cause this sounds like a sure fire way to absolutely put the dagger into real world engagements.

3. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

If you want tournaments, organise them yourself.

When the game has a decent population, the devs can focus their time on "content" that only a handful of players will actually participate in.

BPG would be smart to line their own pockets before lining those of a handful of streamers.

4. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

That's same as saying if you want sandbox, then go create it yourself.

Having game features that would support more tournaments or ladder or anything like that would be an improvement for sure.

Sorry, but time allocation isn't really an argument. BPG can decide on their own what features they want to implement and when. Having a discussion over them is always good, no matter their current priority.

5. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Sandbox content is not something players can add themselves.

6. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

No you what I proposed would be to actually move to the location to join. The location would be in the wilderness. Not sanguine or any npc cities so the encounter chance is high, the areas around it would be high chance encounters as well. A gold fee is also required to join up. A 1k gold fee per match is still 1k gold. Do 15 matches a day and thats 15k gold gone from the game. From one person. People complain about 5k meditation gold being a chore to get. A sink is a sink. It makes you go out in the world.

7. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

Please read the rest of my post, I made an edit while you were replying. Otherwise, sandbox content is exactly that - content created by the players. You're probably mixing it up with sandbox features, which the game must have in order to support player creating the actual content for themselves.

8. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I am just saying with the way things are a person could easily buy like 100k gold for 20$, that is a lot of matches where the gear is provided so it would have an impact on the open world in a big way, something like your idea could work if limitations are put on it, like how many matches could be played and like they would have option to bring their own bag or pay even more gold for one to be made for them. I don't think giving a free gear bag is a good idea, that could make a very big impact on the server and economy of the server

9. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

that 100k gold comes from somewhere. people can always buy gold. you saw the million threads about 5k gold for meditation being too hard to get for many people a while back right? they had the option to buy gold too yet that didn't exactly stop them from getting out and about in the world farming for it to use their meditation.

as for a limitation i could get behind that definitely. Too much a day can become an issue, yes.

and for the gearbag thing I think it would be a nice side feature but I don't even think BPG could handle a feature like this, as simplified as it is. I'd just like to see them start out basic before they add more stuff.

Korag likes this.
  10. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Not if they want to secure an income.

How many people do you think Twitch streaming tournaments willing bring in? How many of them do you think will stay around after they realise how much grinding they need to do to even consider participating in those tournaments?

An tournament could EASILY be organised by the players. This would be sandbox content. Relying on devs to provide it is rather juvenile, like kids on school holidays who need their parents to organise activities for them so they don't get bored.

Yes I did mean Sandbox features, something Darkfall is also lacking in.

I'm not completely bagging the idea, I'm just saying that there's better things that could bring in numbers than a tournament functionality that would only appeal to a fraction of players, might give a temporary boost in numbers and a small long term increase, and give even more rewards to the top tier PvPers on the server.

Multiple people from my clan have gone AWOL since launch. I'm personally regretting buying a 3 month sub and that's pretty much the only reason I'm around. If change isn't made by the time it's run out, I'm out. I played DFO from NA launch to NA down and waited for things to improve significantly, they didn't.

I'm not going to spend the next few years paying to play a game I'm not 100% satisfied with. That's something I might've done 8 years ago but today, I'd rather just go play something else. If it doesn't exist, I'll make it.

I remember in the live Q&A they talked about a 'small hardcore' player base. I can't really continue to support this game with a 'small hardcore playerbase', and I'm pretty sure that small hardcore player base can't support itself.

Korag likes this.
  11. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

You are missing the point. My point is that we should always have discussion on what features different players want. It does not matter when those are implemented by the devs or if they are bigger priority or not. Having feedback and discussion is good on different topics and aspects of the game.

There is absolutely no need to derail every discussion into "there are more important things to do", because it does not add anything to the topic. If you want to discuss the priorities, then there are plenty of threads that focus on that already.

Korag likes this.
  12. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Okay... instead of saying "there are more important things to do".

I'll say:

If this is what they focus their time on right now, their game will be dead in 3 months. Creating content for 1/3 of their revenue stream whilst ignoring the other 2/3, is not just a bad business decision, it's flat out retarded. It would send a clear signal to a good number of DFRoA subscribers - We don't give a shit about you - Just the top tier PvPers.

If they want DFRoA to be private server, they should've said that from the outset. I would've known that from the start and not wasted my money.

STDIO and Korag like this.
  13. Hectic Stahli

Hectic Stahli Skeleton Archer

nah

delete this please

#13 Hectic Stahli, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  14. STDIO

STDIO Gravelord
    Legend

An arena system contradicts the entire idea of this being an open world pvp mmo. There should be other ways of introducing content.