Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Anti-griefing Measures

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Black Knight
    Staff Member

Blue Blocking
    • Toggleable option to prevent all damage done to blue players
    • Only works within the small newbie starter area around allied racial cities
    Griefing new players has been a huge problem that Darkfall has had in it's history where a blue player will be farming a monster and another player will intentionally jump in the way to mark the player as rogue so they can kill them without penalty. In a tab-target MMO, the "intention" of the player (i.e. who he is targeting) is very clear and makes flagging rules that much simpler. In Darkfall however, a player's intention is not necessarily known since it is free aim, and new players should not be penalized for having poor aim or having people jump in front of them while they farm.

This change should stop players from blue blocking within an area where new players might be first struggling to kill monsters and start their long journey in Darkfall.

Harvesting Interruption
    • Harvesting will no longer stop if someone walks behind you
    Players would sometimes grief other players in racial cities by stopping them from harvesting which is a really negative way to start your adventure in a new game. This change will be another step towards making the new player experience more enjoyable.

Please raise any questions, comments, or concerns about these changes in this thread as we will be monitoring for feedback to make Darkfall better.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 MWTaylor, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  2. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Awfully close to 'safe zones' but this seems like a decent compromise.

Damn it. This was my favourite passive aggressive form of griefing on my travels.

Lucan, Fengor, freakd and 3 others like this.
  3. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

It's an optional flag to have. You can still attack and kill everyone you want everywhere if you want to. This just allows the players that do not want to attack and kill other blues to have an option saying that they have no intent to do so. It's a very special case since Darkfall is an FPS and we talked about this internally for many many hours and this is the compromise we came to.

4. IgorsLegacy

IgorsLegacy Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Will movement spells or CC affect blues even if you don't damage them?

Myater likes this.
  5. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

yeah having people spam volcano/anything else that shakes the fuck out of your screen constantly on you at the bank sounds like its going to be fun

also a big +1 for "no pvp zones"

6. JasonDark

JasonDark Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Harvesting Interruption blocking is good.
    The Blue blocking am not so sure, if that's the best solution, sure it will help, but what bothers me is the "toggleable" option...maybe an extended newbie protection or something time based, that helps players get the grip and teaching them the ropes for the first x amount of gameetime?

7. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

That's a good point. We will make sure that crowd control will also not affect blue players so that it doesn't cause a new way to grief players without penalty.

Lifeburn and Myater like this.
  8. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

We'll make sure to compensate and adjust as necessary.
    not sure what this mean, are you wanting no pvp zones? Because there will be zero non pvp zones.
    If you have no intention of hitting an other blue player while in the same zones as noobie protection, that's what this flag will allow you to do. This solves both the grief aspect and other abuses that go along with it like abusing blue blockers during sieges or clan warfare.

9. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

During the alpha when everyone was max AND had newbie protection people would stormblast people.

10. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Yep, and bubbles too it was quite annoying. Especially for Alfar with the acid traps. This is something that we will address right along with the implementation.

11. JasonDark

JasonDark Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Ok, thank you and fawley, for the additional explanations, which make it more clear, this may be in fact a compromise to live with, that should help with the newbie experience......

12. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

I don' know about this guys. Its a great idea but it promotes recklessness, new players need to learn how to switch attacks not swing madly at everything.

The new player protection was already designed to ease people into the game for this reason you would be better off removing the time limit and having new player protection fall off when you leave the zone or kill 200 mobs or gain 30 points in one skill or something.

It just gives one group of blue players an advantage in part of the map because they can spam high end magic and not get flagged when they war deck a crafting guild and this point alone kind of beats the entire idea into the dirt.

Add - You should only be able to do this if your not in a clan

#12 Quin Tessence, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  13. xtibian

xtibian Goblin Scout
    Legend

This will unbalance pvp a bunch. An example is 2 blues vs 1 red. The blues can both melee push without any worry of hitting their friend making it very unbalanced for the red. How far away from the starting cities will this toggle work?

14. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Black Knight
    Staff Member

It is currently planned to be in the area where newbie protection is active (in and around the outskirts of NPC starting areas). It will make it harder for reds who want to attack players in this area, yes, but it will still be possible to kill blues. We feel the benefits the system provides in addressing blue blocking in these areas outweighs the negative of making it harder for reds to kill new players and blues.

With that said, the point of this thread is to gather feedback so any concerns or comments are welcome!

15. Lord Assirak

Lord Assirak Goblin Warrior
    Legend

As far as nooby friendly-ing the game, I recommend this:

Before you enter a lawless territory, it pops up BEWARE in red. Have that be some sort of hotlink to a pop up that explains that. I'm sure it's in the nooby protection pop-up on launch of your new character but a friendly easy accessable link would be nice for those noobies straying too far. It could be a link on the "Beware! You are now considered Rogue!" that pops up too in the system chat.

Just a little food for thought.

P.s. Let me name myself assirak :( :( :(

16. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Benefactor Contributor Legend

I know that this is not really feasible due to manpower, but it would be cool if a Noobie could report the blue blocking, and if a GM witnessed it going on, the GM could gib the offender and not allow a respawn for 1-5 minutes or something.

rightlend likes this.
  17. Mighty

Mighty Skeleton Archer
    Hero

I agree with this. This option should only be allowed for a certain amount of time. It shouldn't be if im in a newbie spawn, in the outskirts of town i can toggle it, but a newbie option you have available until you lose your newbie protection, kill a certain amount of mobs or whatever.

Quin Tessence likes this.
  18. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Having it active for a limited amount of time might work well. However it depends if we want to have this mechanic as a blue incentive as well as an anti griefing measure.

Due to its limited nature being just the starting 3 newbie cities and the capital city though I like it as a blue perk. One of our goals is more perks and reasons to stay blue and this falls under that category, albeit to a minor degree admittedly.

19. Lifeburn

Lifeburn Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

This in the end is really minor, it will help keep griefers from running new players out of the game before they get hooked.

Reds shouldnt have an issue smashing noobs, even 2v1 lol

20. Flying Dutchmaster

Flying Dutchmaster Gravelord
    Legend

I dont like the idea of a friendly-fire switch anywhere in the game at any point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.