Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Antiquated mechanics - a look back on some changes AV made, and why...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KoKane, Jun 11, 2019.

1. KoKane

KoKane Celestial

Making this thread now since Kilrain is on a roll with the feedback/suggestion discussions.

Back in the day, AV would make changes to things but could never foresee how or why it might be bad, or unneccessary.
    The first of these that I can think of is jumping while casting spells.
    If anyone else was there, you might remember too:
    It was maybe 2 weeks or so into the games launch and players had begun to complain that jump kiting with Mana Missile was just TOO OVERPOWERED.
    AV listened and implemented the gravity mechanic we have now that glues you to the ground when you cast anything, making you get stuck on rocks and shit too.

It's funny because players were running around with rank 0 staffs, casting level 25 Mana Missile behind them on guys in mob dropped leather who were wielding rank 0 - rank 10 bows / swords.. meanwhile everyone had less than 35 in every stat.

10 years later we can all agree that the meta changed naturally for this jump kiting to actually turn out detrimental to ones chances at winning a fight. It's usually one of the first bits of advice that you give someone who is learning to pvp and doing some duels - "Yo dont jump so much, you're giving away free hits and using stamina"

So... I'd like to propose testing the removal of this on test server, just to see how it feels. I've a feeling that most people wont notice it a whole lot, except in few instances where they need to jump up a step while casting Heal Self or something.

The second one that I can think of is jumping in water.
    I remember the exact time period that this change was brought into the game, and it happened quite quickly too.
    People were generally annoyed that you could keep up with a ship by bunnyhopping in water so much. This made sense... but of course AV didn't increase ship speed or protections (not for a loonnnng time later).
    I remember being with Jonah Veil, Bobby Or and Arkillion (there were a couple other peeps too), in the water chasing a LoD SoTL, half way around the map from Yssam to Human lands and only losing ground on it very gradually the whole way. Eventually other ships were brought out and we went for a Brigantine instead. Jumping after it was effortless and we just played games with the crew, jumping on, killing one or two and knocking the corpse off while getting back into the water to heal.. repeating it.

You used to be able to jump just after releasing your Shrapnel, and get the knock forward effect.
    Players had extreme mobility in water with this combined with Begone and WoF Stormblast.

AV's fix for this was adding an artificial timelock between jumps when in water. You can only jump once every 10 seconds when at the surface. It always felt so clunky and poorly thought out. Shock Charges didnt come until like a year later + ship speed got increased.

This is another thing I'd like to test reverted on PTS. If the mobility is too high to endanger ships - maybe increase their speed and buff shock charges? They could do with a speed increase ANYWAY btw.

Can anyone else think of stuff like this? I know I had more before, but cant think of them right now

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    NonFactor, Inkarnation and Squanto like this.
  2. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

With all the nerfs magic has gotten and all the buffs melee archery has gotten since the no jump casting by default change was implemented, the lack of being able to jump when casting ALL spells may no longer warranted IMHO.

In RoA Destroyers have gotten further buffs and magic has gotten even further nerfs.

New Dawn removed this jump casting limitation by allowing people to jump with all spells by default and players, especially new ones, said it was a lot less "clunky".

Melee archery was still the strongest thing in that game if you were a good player

They also removed Destroyer and Mage Killer and balanced around default archery/melee and armor bonuses like leather having extra archery/melee attack speed and stamina regen and metal having +HP regen

What a lot of people don't remember is that when AV implemented Destroyer/Mage Killer it was always said to be a temporary bandaid fix to make melee/archery competitive with the then OP magic (no aoe damage drop off, no global cooldowns for r90s, backsplash damage even if opponent is parrying ect), but they were lazy/ started making a UW instead of balancing melee archery properly or adding new abilities/armor stats.

TLDR= Ya I'd like to test jump casting with everything as baseline in RoA

Not sure about removing water jump limitations because allowing players to dolphin jump to take ships easier while not risking their own is the the opposite of proper risk vs reward

#2 Battle Smurf, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. KoKane

KoKane Celestial

Yeah I agree with this aswell, but I'd still like to see water movement a bit more fluid, pun intended, and fix the ship part of it all in a different way. For example, upgraded Shock Charges that knock people away on top of damaging them.

4. Squanto

Squanto Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Yes please on the water jump timer at least being significantly reduced, or maybe removed overall.
    I've died so many times trying to go from water onto land at a sea village because I couldn't jump....