Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Arena - The RoA Route to Success.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pink Taco, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Would you like to see this system in ROA?

1. Yes

68.1%
  2. No

31.9%
  1. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

I'd like to discuss an arena system that has not been attempted or tried in any other game (that I am aware of). It would have some traits from other systems, however not much entirely. This system of arena would be one that is unique in the fact that it is designed for an open world MMO like Darkfall. They key to it would be that the arena system would drive the open world (pve and pvp alike), and the open world would drive the arena. If this can be accomplished properly implementing an arena in Darkfall would give instant fair fights (you'd be fighting players in your elo bracket in the arena and open world) and it would also drive the world of Agon to be populated and contested based off farming your gear to use in the arena.

With this system we can copy League of Legends ladder system or Elo system. There would be different divisions that you would be placed into based off a win/loss ratio of 10 matches initially. Each division would have a gear cap. An example is as follows :

Bronze - Scale/Leather/q1/r40 (New Players)
    Silver - Plate/Studded/q2/r50 (People have a decent grasp of the game)
    Gold - Full Plate/Bone/q3/r60 (Mediocre players)
    Platinum - Infernal/Bone/q4/r70 (Above average players)
    Diamond - Dragon/Bone/q5/r75 (Very good players)
    Challenger - Dragon/Bone/q6/r80 (Top Veterans)

With this Arena system, in order to que into it you must load a gear set into an Arena Paper Doll, once loaded into the Arena Paper Doll the gear could no longer be used in the open world of Agon. This gear must be 100% durability upon placing it into your paper doll, and meet the gear cap requirements for your elo tier listed above. The gear will take durability loss per arena match or per loss in the arena... this is to be determined. The gear's durability will last a set amount of matches (or losses), and this will be different per elo tier.
    Example:
    -Bronze 20 matches or losses.
    -Silver 30 matches or losses.
    -Gold 40 matches or losses.
    -Platinum 50 matches or losses.
    -Diamond 50 matches or losses.
    -Challenger 75 matches or losses.

The arena would be qued up for much like the use off the current billboards, and would supply fights that are even in not only numbers, but also in player skill. As players progressed and learned the game they would eventually begin to climb the competitive ladder and facing opponents always near their level of play. It would give the instant gratification crowd what they want, but at the same time force them to farm gear bags out in the open world of Agon to match their elo's gear cap. This would put players at the same skill level fighting over spawns out in the open world to support their gear bags to fight each other in the arena. (This would put the same level of players fighting each other in Agon, as in the arena.)

This is a huge step for Darkfall. The biggest issue Darkfall has is the veteran players not being segregated away from the newer players, and with such a learning curb/high skill ceiling in the game... it leads to a dead game. With this system you would have fights of near the same skill level at spawns, that led to more fair fights in the arena. People would be able to learn the game at their own pace without just being curb stomped constantly by players who are more knowledgeable or skillful at the game. This would basically cause hot spots in the open world that were induced via the arena system itself (and more than likely hotspots only for players near your caliber).

The arena would drive players to go farm gear according to their elo which would induce Agon to be more active than it has been in a very long time. Between farming gear for your elo bracket, you would be getting nearly instant fights of 1v1/2v2/3v3/5v5 in the arena. (Could you imagine the twitch following from this?)

I ramble (I should have spent more time on this due to how viable of an option I believe it is for Darkfall) I tried to keep it as short and sweet as possible - there is definitely more depth to go into.

/discuss

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Skelly

Skelly Crypt Guard

This system sucks
    You think this is what the game really needs to bring people back??? Daymmm

This is more for current players
    Alot of players left being due to lack of content,pve,crafting,
    Pvp stuff not arena!!

I could careless who wins 1sr 2nd 3rd or whos best player in df

#2 Skelly, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

Its not about that, its about splitting people up, so good players fight good players, bad players fight bad players, so every1 can have fun.

4. RabbleRabble

RabbleRabble Deadeye
    Legend

The arena is the only way this game survives. If I could sit and queue up and fight people all day there would little reason to play any other game. Restrict the gear and require 50% dur on all armor and death in the arena causes a huge dur loss on gear as well as gives to the other player. Burning through gear would require players to farm more and would give you a reason to no bank stare.

Ursa Major, Sero and Pink Taco like this.
  5. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

You got the general idea - see Game design discussion for some additional suggestions as far as durability and how this would move the world of Agon. However, I do not suggest the dropping of gear to other players, this can be left to open world. Arena is for prestige and arena rewards and fluff. It will be the biggest gear sink/gold sink in the game and would make for some savage Twitch streaming that would spread word of Rise of Agon. It would allow new players to learn the game at their pace without constant griefing, and against players of their same level. It would do so much more. Arena and instanced combat is taboo in the world of Darkfall, however, I believe it is time some people come to terms with the fact the original vision for this game simply does not work on today's market.

6. MerleisAirdburne

MerleisAirdburne Black Knight
    Supporter

What happened to the last thread @Pink Taco ?¿?¿ ô¿ô

7. Skelly

Skelly Crypt Guard

Lmao how u gius think this will make the game survive yea with the same 100 people queing up all day and thats thag arena would split this population of wht ever is left. It would work say if this game had thousands of players. Right now u gotta be trollling me if you think this is what we need anyways inly time will tell 2018 brings alot of new things

im sure the dev team have had plenty of time to observe the game and understand this games past and future. There roadmap is pretty solid and nowhere does it have arena so ur guys wishing will come by the time its over. The roadmap they have out now is the roadmap that should have been completed by launch. Sorry typing on phone while picking up son from school typing is shit

8. EnigmaticD

EnigmaticD Fire Elemental
    Legend

I like.

Ursa Major, Oresmacker and Sero like this.
  9. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I would like to see an arena system with mmr for sure. I wouldn't necessarily say it needs full loot. But i would say that participation gives cool rewards. Nice cosmetics, house rares, rare mounts etc. A billboard with the top 50 on it for each category etc. Make it take durability and consume regs and pots.

MaxiHori, Sique, Ursa Major and 3 others like this.
  10. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

Suggestion is 0 loot. but aye.
    --- Post updated ---
    I noted that the Game Design Discussion does not get near as many views as something posted under General Discussion. The moderators kept removing links to the other post - thus I just made a whole new post of it here. I lack patience with this topic because in my eyes this is the only route that will make this version succeed. Times have changed since DF1 and the route the game needs to go needs to change based off of that. It is quite clear that New Dawn is a mix of Unholy Wars and Darkfall that is nearly entirely a different game. It is also quite clear that it will have the biggest chance at success with an open world only version. They have a much larger dev team, so changes come much easier on their side. However, the game is going in a direction that makes it not exactly the Darkfall combat we all have hung around for. Thus, I believe RoA needs to pursue the route they can excel in, and I believe this to be the route. Keep the Darkfall combat we all love, and make it as accessible and competitive as possible, while making it enjoyable for new players and veterans alike. This will supply a fun and competitive experience for everyone involved, and I am sure it will give this game a population that it hasn't seen in a long time.

Ursa Major, Oresmacker and Fengor like this.
  11. Oresmacker

Oresmacker Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Love the Idea

Kalos and Fengor like this.
  12. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

I was partially behind ya til ya said this is the only way to keep the game going, at that point you lost me.

13. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

I noted that the Game Design Discussion does not get near as many views as something posted under General Discussion. The moderators kept removing links to the other post - thus I just made a whole new post of it here. I lack patience with this topic because in my eyes this is the only route that will make this version succeed. Times have changed since DF1 and the route the game needs to go needs to change based off of that. It is quite clear that New Dawn is a mix of Unholy Wars and Darkfall that is nearly entirely a different game. It is also quite clear that it will have the biggest chance at success with an open world only version. They have a much larger dev team, so changes come much easier on their side. However, the game is going in a direction that makes it not exactly the Darkfall combat we all have hung around for. Thus, I believe RoA needs to pursue the route they can excel in, and I believe this to be the route. Keep the Darkfall combat we all love, and make it as accessible and competitive as possible
    This is not a huge patch to throw into the game that would have a huge impact. The shit you want I believe are patches that would require alot of dev time - and we simply do not have the team for that. I'm sorry if you disagree with that one statement, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion as you stated yourself in another thread in the past day :)

14. Skelly

Skelly Crypt Guard

Because these are the people who have no care for dungeons,pve,crafting ,harvesting ect they want instsnt gratification instant bang they need a quick fix waaa waaa or else. The idea isnt bad many mmorpg have this. This works if the game is in a healthy statex which this game is on lide support lets be honest. Anyone who think arena will solve darkfalls problems and make it grow need a reality check and needs to be woke the f up.

15. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Indeed and I simply stated mine
    Also my idea was Factions or what I wanted never had more fun in a game then old school UO factions and I think a system here done right would be amazing and happen outside of a simple and basic box.

16. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

Shall I find you my factions post that was ignored - as well as many others? heh

Ursa Major and Fengor like this.
  17. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Ya I said I think the idea is much better once the open world is fixed. The game has to be in a good position before you change it from its core. People complain about changing simple basic core mechanics but they want to drastically change the core of the game itself.
    I get people Like arena's I do not I CHOOSE an MMO cause I do not care for arena so changing this game into an arena focus just doesn't make sense, if ya like arena's great go play one stop trying to turn this mmo into one
    --- Post updated ---
    not sure what that has to do with it, I am just saying I have had ideas and wants that are different than arena. I am not claiming full ownership over an idea, that happen to also be on the list of things they are doing. Making mob drops armor recipe's is one I asked for also and other small changes Not sure what I asked for that you think would require so much dev time.
    --- Post updated ---
    I feel like a q'ed up arena would take a great deal of time as well

18. Pink Taco

Pink Taco Black Knight
    Hero

@Skelly as well. This system drives the open world to be more active. There is not another arena system in any other game that causes the open world to become more active. They all make the open world become more stagnant. That is why this arena system is unique. It will cause the population to increase, and they can not do the arena without being out in the open world. You accept this in the other thread Trinity, and then act like you do not not acknowledge it in this thread.

You will have more people out in the open world due to this arena system, it's a simple fact. Especially with fetaLity's idea on the tickets, and yours as well Trinity.

Sero likes this.
  19. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

You realize that an Arena is content right? It's endless content, it's an endless elo grind, and it's instant action, but not instant gratification.

I love when people argue against it, because I've argued against them so much there is practically nothing left that hasn't been completely destroyed by pure logic.

Firstly; No this is not just for a handful of elites to stroke their egos. A ranking system pits players against people of their own skill level. It provides a platform for players to practice their gameplay against people they won't get completely steam rolled by, and finally see how much fun a fair equal-skilled fight can be. They can then take what they learned into the game world and bring it to the table when clan warfare comes around.

Second. In no way does this kill open-world PVP. If people are queuing Arena constantly, and completely avoiding anything to do with the game-world environment, THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE GAME-WORLD ENVIRONMENT. People still need gear to fight in the arena, there can be the possibility of an entry fee to fight in the arena, betting on the arena, people still need to farm the gear for the arena, and people will still need to defend their holdings from siegers to keep their farming spots secure. If a large number of people have so much gear/gold they can spend all day in the Arena, then guess what, gold and gear are way too easy to get.

Third. It provides the platform necessary to bring this game into the streaming mainstream. Darkfall has all the basis for streaming/esports, except for the quick action.

Fourth. It provides a testing platform for skill balance.

Fifth. EVEN IF THIS ARENA IS JUST FOR ELITES (It's fucking not), What are people complaining for? I see so many noobs crying about elites this, harassment that, wah wah wah. This will take most of those elites out of the harassment picture. Your noobs can farm in peace while elites are more concerned with the Arena/Protecting/Farming their own territory FOR Arena, and no longer need to harass your cities for gratification (however little it may be).

The problem people have with Arena is the misguided assumption that the game-world will be even more dead than it currently is, but the games greatest asset is supposed to be the amazing PVP that is held in such glory. It would bring the population that came for the Arena to the game to help populate it. Those players are going to be forced to join a clan, forced to hold a city, and forced to farm, or they simply won't even be able to enter the damn Arena/get shitcanned upon entry.

How many times have you been playing Darkfall, have had back - back - back PVP encounters, and just gone... damn I should go do some farming, I'm running low on regs (HOLY SHIT I FORGOT ABOUT THESE. REMEMBER THESE? THE GREATEST GOLD SINK IN ANY GAME EVER? YEA, THINK HOW MANY REGS THE AVERAGE ELITEST WOULD RUN THROUGH IN AN ARENA DAY).

The one thing I will give you though, Is that an Arena should not be introduced before the game hits 500-1k actives, and the remainder needs to be decided:

- Full loot Arena OR Just durability loss arena
    - Entry fee Arena OR No entry fee arena

Shame on you, and shame on everyone else who argued against this idea during it's first conception. Shame on you and others for hindering this games potential, and shame on you for continuing to hinder this games potential.

#19 Sero, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    MaxiHori, Sique, Ursa Major and 4 others like this.
  20. l0st exile

l0st exile Crypt Guard

I've always said DFO has the chance to revolutionize the arena scene. Sadly, I know the developers will not be able to complete such a feat. but I do believe stuff like this is what Darkfall needs to bring in a larger population(games within the game, like a true sandbox). However, arenas also don't only have to be team death match or 1v1. Ideas like zombie horde waves, battle royale, FFA, CTF with DFO physics would be a blast and it allows everyone to get involved.