Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Arena

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brando Pando, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

With an arena system announced as part of the embers of war expansion, I wanted to get some discussion going to see what others would like to see from this addition.

This is what BPG has announced thus far:

Arena System with Rankings
    • New special arena area with ranking system, spectating, and practice pits
    • Sign up to fight for riches or glory and prove yourself the ultimate gladiator.
    • Unique titles for top ranked fighters in the arena
    • Arenas of varying sizes for battles including small and medium sized groups
    • Practice and sharpen your skills as a newcomer and once sharpened use your skills to challenge the top elite of the world
    A few things that come to mind would be where the arena will be located in game, team sizes, and rewards.

2. Sameog

Sameog Crypt Guard
    Legend

I want a queue for 1v1s 2v2s 3v3s 4v4s etc... Could get creative and add different game modes with objectives. There should be queues for loot and non loot. Practice queue, casual, ranked.
    Darkfall is getting stale with zergs, pvp fights are rarely any good.

Darkfall sessions are BORING to many players, but we stick around because we love the game. People need faster ways to get into the action in this game. Maybe territory control will give us some semblance of that. But there is something special to be had with non-zerg pvp. It gives players a challenge to improve.

An arena also benefits tutorials and helping noobs practice to get up to speed on how to play with the best of us.

BPG should get some kind of beta for the arena on the test server so we can make sure they don't fuck it up somehow.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I hope the arena requires pve points or something that requires open world activity to use. Would suck if it turns into a system that makes the world even emptier.

phuture, Skelly, Leo Woods and 9 others like this.
  4. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Winterbound
    Wealthy Legend

They said no to instances because it requires more servers which requires more $$$$$. In case people haven't noticed this is not WoW with millions of subscribers. I have serious doubts it will be in the expansion. I'd rather they add meaningful open world content.

5. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

It doesn't have to be a true instance. It could just be some buildings way up in the sky or under the world which is what all current dungeons are.

The Red King, Fengor, Degamra and 3 others like this.
  6. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

If this is the case theres no reason to even bother making an arena. All it is, is dueling with a ranking system.
    --- Post updated ---
    This is all I expect (Simply because expecting more might be impractical):

Start off simple, to get the Arena portion of the game grounded.

A 1v1 room with pillars lining. Players start on opposite ends of the room, in attached starting areas, sectioned off by a gate/door or barrier of some kind. Prefer it to be a dungeon styled area, only accessible via portal. Only 1 person can enter each portal at a time (similar to portal chamber function). When 1 person fills each starting area, a countdown begins, the door opens at the end of countdown.

- Fights need to be timed 5-10 minutes.
    - No ganks: When someone goes down, they pop backup at the portal area rezzed/full stats.
    - If the portal area has it's own area within game: needs to have a bank and a no kill zone.

upload_2019-2-5_13-26-48.png

Literally all I expect come embers launch, and it's a good start.

Down the road (barring embers success and pop increase):

- More/bigger arenas
    - A queuing system/NPC
    - Expanded to 2v2 - 3v3 - 4v4
    - Ranked seasons: Top ranked competitors rewarded with unique titles/skins

7. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

It hurt unholy wars far more than it helped having unrestricted safe zone duels. So many people contributed nearly nothing to the games activity. We don't want that again, at least not in a way that doesn't also make open world activity. Also I don't think PvE points should be the only source or 'currency' for using it, but anything that gets people out into the world that cannot be easily exploited. Even with the games current low population, the game would be a lot more fun and have a lot more fights if people had a reason to actually leave their safe havens and risk interacting with each other in the open world.

8. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Unless people are running around the arena naked, someone is farming. If it runs smoothly people will burn through gear durability and have to get more equipment somehow. Also: ask yourself if those people dueling in UWs safe areas would even login/subscribe to the game if their dueling area wasn't available.

This is the same concept as people sitting in a city somewhere dueling or hosting a tournament, except it's structured by the game and has a driving force behind it. Open world is Zerg V Zerg and it ALWAYS will be. That is only fun for so long before you just say fuck it, as evident by the current Village mechanics.

#8 Sero, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    Chantree, Sameog and Blaze like this.
  9. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

Well that would kind of go against the idea of adding an arena. If its not accessible than it will not likely get any use, since a ranked arena system requires a decent amount of players.

I understand the point of view, but if anything this will take the place of dueling which many active players spend hours a day doing already. If the system is successful it will likely boost population which will actually help the open world.

Sameog likes this.
  10. AbyssWalker

AbyssWalker Air Elemental
    Supporter

if you add arena make it cool.
    because espenhal arena is kind of crap.
    arena must be like some kind of dungeon with skulls,etc.
    not just a espenhal cage lol.

Brando Pando likes this.
  11. Euchre

Euchre Goblin Warlord
    Patron Hero

I think another opportunity exists here.

Make ranked duels cost gold. You lose, you lost your gold. Winner gets refunded 75% of cost.

Boom, gold sink.

They don't even have to be much, hell 3k could do it.

I also think unranked duels should be capped at full plate, r40, no enchants.

Ranked should be capped at infernal, r70 and q4

12. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Dire Zombie
    Patron

3k per 30s-5min match would be way to high. 1-200 gold would still be a decent sink imo since you dont want a fee to act as a barrier.

Gear cap sounds like a good idea aswell. Though I think q5 for ranked as you want incentive to farm those big mobs.

13. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

The whole point of an arena is easy access to a equal terms fight.

Theres no need for extra barriers. Getting the necessary equipment is barrier enough. Gear is not infinite. Its going to break, and people are going to have to replace it.

Trying to reduce tedium and promote enjoyable gameplay here.

14. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

ill surprisingly beat everyone. im holding my best for this.

shock the world.

15. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

This just goes to show how brain dead people tend to be.

Why would we put artificial restrictions or limitations on arenas? That defeats the entire purpose.

Arena should:
    1.) Promote streamable content
    2.) Provide instant access to PvP for the instant gratification era of gamers
    3.) Provide gear attrition(which promotes farming and resource contention - open world combat + siege warfare)

The irony in people asking for gold sinks is baffling when gear is the last remaining gold sink and this would prove to be THE BEST WAY to mitigate the gear abundance issue.

Gear caps should not exist in the arena. There will come a point where gear and skill will converge at a particular elo and force that individual to either continue to wear down expensive gear to compete with individuals that are better OR to regress to the mean armor/weapon range and find themselves in the appropriate elo range.

16. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

Not 100% true, I mean their is a gold market available for this game and an arena would only serve to increase that. I know people that do it legit by spending real life cash and selling those store items for gold and NEVER have to farm. This will increase with an arena system. They have to be super careful with this or risk causing the core of this game to suffer and eventually possibly die off a nail in the coffin type of thing. Plus china farmers will be a thing again if the games pop picks up enough offering another way for people to get gear.

17. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

GIVE US AL KHARID DUEL ARENA

18. Kappa

Kappa Goblin Scout

As far as gold sinks go on top of gear durability, consider also that regs, pots, food, arrows etc. would all add up to plenty of gold spent each match and would create a need to eventually get out in the world and farm.

19. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

It's not as though all that gear dura loss isn't already happening in all active cities all of the time simultaneously. It's not going to change the rate of that happening.

20. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Keyword: Scale.

There is a larger pool from which players will be able to duel, rather than the current(isolated) pool.

You don't believe players will duel more often if there is a smaller disparity between player skill and more diversity in who they encounter? I'd contend otherwise...

Sameog likes this.