Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Arena

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by HexD, Jan 5, 2017.

?

Arena?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. HexD

HexD Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

I know Darkfall is all about open world PvP but I can't help but think an arena would go a long way in furthering the games survival rate. Nothing too drastic, a simple 1 vs 1 instanced arena where players can sign up to duel some random player whom is also queued. I see people saying there isn't much end game content and I think an arena would help fill that void once people are levelled and are waiting for the next siege or for their friends to get online so they can roam/farm.
    Players would lose durability on their gear but not lose the items at the end of the match, this provides a nice way to practise combat in an more affordable fashion. Could have a ranking system like we have for crafting and monster killing and so on. Maybe even allow for some form of wagered matches against specific players to settle disputes in a more controlled manner.

2. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

no que'd arena kills open world. Its a sandbox, if you want wagers, duels, tourneys, make them.

Scrapnotcrap, Kilset, Fengor and 3 others like this.
  3. HexD

HexD Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

It's not a sand box though is it. Sandboxes have tools for you to build your little sand world. This is just a box without sand. The same box without sand that died last time because players are too stubborn to realise the model doesn't work and it needs to adapt to survive.

Sero likes this.
  4. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

It does have tools. Its got a chat that allows you to communicate with people. It also has a forum (here) that you can post your wager tourneys. In game you can create placeable flags that form artificial barriers if you want to set a dueling perimeter. There are also reputable players you can use as middlemen if you do not trust the player you are fighting to pay if if they low. Every single tool you need to make a tournament is in game.

Sisco and Dixie Normus like this.
  5. HexD

HexD Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

Ok fair enough, you could do that. It's not exactly providing daily content for players to take advantage of though, how often do they take place?
    I think an built in system would do no harm in a game where open world PvP for the sake of it rarely happens and if it does it's usually on unsuspecting/ill prepared players. The planned open world events are so few and far between players would rather play something else in the mean time. At least with a in game match making system players would have a way of fighting while they wait for the bigger events.

6. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Legend

People don't want to put in the effort to host them during beta I would imagine. They are a pain in the ass to set up because of the playerbase. BPG can't change that.

7. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Patron Legend

I think something like this would distract and demotivate actually playing the game as intended. Also, it would devalue fighting and dying. Fights are big deals. They get your heart pumping and are the reason a lot of us play the game. I feel like an arena would cheapen this.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Korag and Dixie Normus like this.
  8. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

I dont know how often they take place. Its either you want it to be a sandbox where everything is player driven using in game tools, or you dont. There is no doubt that instanced or q'd pvp ruins open world. When you are suggesting ideas, you have to make sure they are based off the design and end goal of the game. Would a q'd system be needed if the population would remain <300 forever? Sure it would. Would it be needed if pop was >2k? No. So it would be meaningless to have a population end goal, but then undermine that and spend time and resources implementing a system that is aimed towards the exact opposite.

9. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Naw bro, cant have it because "this is not what darkfall is about". Darkfall is about running around for 5 hours killing an afk gatherer and logging out to play something else. Lmao.

Ive suggested multiple times and the only arguement people have is that its not what darkfall is about, because deapite popular belief this would actually increase world pvp due to people needing entry fees/replacing lost gearbags.

The concept of an elo system/true 1v1 scenario to show player skill is unimaginable to some people, nevermind the fact that this is what drives every major game ever.

"go host a tourney" is the lazy devloper saying naw, we dun wanna put in the effort to add something literally everyone would enioy, go run a tourney that can be interrupted by assholes for 3 hoirs straight.

Circa, Chantree and MerleisAirdburne like this.
  10. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Host regular tournaments or create events if you want this. Nothing is stopping you.

Fengor likes this.
  11. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

There should be a location in the game you can go to which is not instanced where you can set up tournaments. Basically just an oval with some terrain (rocks/trees), stands people can run around on and look into the arena with an invisible wall preventing people on the outside from coming in. Tournaments are too messy, uncoordinated and easy to grief and ruin. You could argue that it's part of the game, but it's a big reason (other than greed) that people don't set them up. If we had a system in place in the game like this it would be much easier to do. It would still be completely run by the players, just streamlined. Hell, maybe you could implement a way to bet on people. You could still grief this during the process of setting it up or kill people betting. It's not a safe zone.

Maybe even add a smaller second arena for wagers.

Don't kid yourself, this wouldn't be a bad addition to the game.

12. HexD

HexD Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

I'm curious, how many tournaments that were player hosted did DF1 have?
    I can vaguely remember one but that's it, not saying that was the only one. I figure someone with more knowledge could answer and we'll see how good of a content provider player hosted tournaments were or weren't. Have to remember players need daily content to keep them coming back or they spend their time elsewhere.

Hosting an event might go ok the first time, maybe even the second after that the novelty will wear off and instead people will look to troll it. Maybe someone will be disgruntled about not winning last time or whatever their justification, some one is going to come to ruin it. You can say that's the way Darkfall is played but I will say that's not how a game survives. You need to cater for a larger demographic otherwise all you will have are elitists and that's not going to be very many as the majority of gamers are average and it's the majority that make a game successful.

I played a very niche game with full loot open world pvp and it's dying a slow death for various reasons, only reason the pvp server is still up is because the pve server does so well, I don't mean we should make Darkfall more tame but there needs to be alternatives to capture more players interests. Having an outlet like a 1v1 system would be a step in the right direction and doesn't take anything away from the open world combat as players taking part in 1v1's would still need to farm gear and level skills in the world.

13. Circa

Circa Black Knight
    Legend

it's funny to see people cry about population but doesn't want to add shit to keep players playing. make up your mind already fuck sakes.

uo free servers had stuff like this and it was a huge reason why it succeeded.

for the uo players
    -ctf defiance free server

they had auto gm events and called it super sunday which at times have over 2,000 players.

all of you wanting population but don't want to change shit.

14. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Scrap the world map, convert to a queue-up arena with DaoC battleground as an "open world" option.

1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 and 10v10 arenas with the Battleground for "siege" size battles

15. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

the fuck?

16. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

haha

Fengor and kilrain like this.
  17. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Bruh you're playing the wrong game.

Hell you're in the wrong genre.

Korag likes this.
  18. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

The argument is above apparently you chose not to read it. It would have a negative impact on actual game play and open world pvp, stop thinking small, this game is designed to have pvp with thousands of players, it currently does not have those numbers, so an arena for launch would be foolish, and would do much more harm, they are designing the game and making changes to promote more people going out and doing stuff in the world, and you would rather put everyone in a q'ed instance not actively playing... tell me how that is good, or positive or even make sense.

19. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

No instances ever, no zones, no queues. Ever.

Does the community want one location, one city where anyone can go to arrange matches? Perhaps some built in betting and wager system for this area? Serious question.

It's been requested before and my argument was always that I would prefer to build more tools to allow players to create the things they want, but if there was enough request and it was done in such a way not to detract from the rest of the game, I could see the argument for it.

nuclearping likes this.
  20. Juice

Juice Air Elemental
    Legend

The problem is that people are already terrified to die 1v1 and get put in a video...... That is the reason there are no more solo roamers and most people only leave their city wall, or log into the game, with 5+... People would not even use the arena system if it were in the game. Everyone wants to think they are good and don't want it to be known how shit they actually are. This is the reason people only zerg.