Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Armor Crafting and Skill Gain

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by Wes Furtive, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Can you make it so the skill gain is based on the resource cost per craft? It's stupid that someone crafts 5000 cloth armguards to get from 1 - 100 tailoring and it's a completely afk activity and one of the most boring things in the game.

How it should work:
    - Crafting a full set of cloth armor (if you finish the armor sets) would yield more skill gain than the same amount of resources in just cloth armguards.
    - Crafting a full set of padded armor between 25.00 - 49.99 skill would yield more gain than crafting cloth armguards with the same cost in resources.
    - Crafting a full set of leather armor between 50.00 - 74.99 would yield more skill gain than crafting cloth armguards with the same cost in resources.

You get it. This way people could actually craft their full sets of armor and either use them or sell them to players for a small return or profit. This would also drastically lessen the time required to max the skill because you'd be gaining more skill per craft due to the higher resource cost. It would add some interaction between players as well.

The same thing should be done for armorsmithing. Chain sets, banded sets, scale sets, etc.

There's no reason not to do this.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. MerleisAirdburne

MerleisAirdburne Black Knight
    Supporter

You get more skill gain when u craft a chest piece verse crafting a plate girdle

3. Wes Furtive

Legend

Not more than crafting 20 chain sleeves though.

4. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

This is already true. Not sure why you are complaining about it.
    With bowyer mastery I have to make something like 20+ r40 bows to get the same skill gains I do from a single r60 or maybe even an r50.
    Its basically super worth it to use rare mats as opposed to brute forcing it with regular mats. This is on top of the fact that the r40 is largely worthless and the r50+ are actually useful.

The only reason people grind tailoring with cloth arms instead of chest pieces is more crafts = more trueforge gains.

Forcing people to craft full sets is dumb because in this game, most people dont wear a full set of anything. Most people mix in a few metal pieces or a few light pieces to obtain the protections and encumbrance they desire.

Fengor and Super Star like this.
  5. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Benefactor Contributor Legend

1 plate chest will give more gains than 20 chain sleeves.

6. Wes Furtive

Legend

Didn't say anything about mastery or weaponsmithing or bowyer.

I said armorsmithing and tailoring.

7. Cool hwip

Cool hwip Deadeye
    Hero

You do gain more skill for mats used. I for one did not do cloth arms from 75-100 cause it was too damn slow. I spent some money and think I did robes if I remember right.

8. aaraym

aaraym Undead Dwarf
    Legend

I don't see a point in them keeping anything less then scale and R40's even in the game. Its just a time sink and no one uses it. You should just start out being able to craft up to those levels imo.

Wes Furtive likes this.
  9. Mc Nasty

Mc Nasty Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Seems like just adding more tedium or forcing players to craft things they may not need/use.

Circa likes this.
  10. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

Its better in both of those to craft the best stuff you can. I don't get why its so hard for you to understand basic concepts.

11. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

The only reason they arent used is because mob dropped gear exists.

Wes Furtive likes this.
  12. Wes Furtive

Legend

this.
    Something needs to be done about this. Stupid boring timesink.
    --- Post updated ---
    and this

13. aaraym

aaraym Undead Dwarf
    Legend

I don't agree. Its almost impossible to kills anything of any value in the game pve wise in less then R40's and scale. What mobs you can kill in less then that you can do naked with a starter weapon.

14. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

U can kill everything in the game naked from ranged. Gear makes it so you can pve a little more efficiently and have a better chance surviving if you get jumped. Heres how progression wentl you make a char, you kill some starter stuff, you leave the area and kill stuff dropping r40's, then you move to r50's whcih snowballs u into r60's. Im now using mob dropped r60's, which means i will never used crafted gear until i can craft at least r50's. This is why all early crafting is skipped over and goes unused.

15. aaraym

aaraym Undead Dwarf
    Legend

If you want to grind out your melee, ignore pain, etc. you need gear. At least if you don't want to do it naked on starter mobs.

You have never seen people running around naked or with just a chest piece? It makes more sense to just wear the chest piece. If you get jumped by anyone in pve and they are any good you are likely be dead and best risking less. Anyone good will wait until you are pretty much dead or will with zerg you down either way you are likely donating anything you have on.

If they aren't that good you will likely get away if you want to.

16. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

You just said "Its almost impossible to kills anything of any value in the game pve wise in less then R40's and scale"; and now you are asking "have i never seen people running around naked or with only a chest piece farming", since its more efficient and less risk. I dont understand your stance, is it impossible to kill stuff naked, or is it actually more efficient?

How can you disagree with the statement that people dont use player crafted cause mob dropped exists. What doesnt make sense to you?

17. Wes Furtive

Legend

The first monster I killed in beta after my starter quests was a wildtribe mage and two warriors. I used the all-powerful dawnstaff and ~25.0 mana missile skills. I rode my horse to Yssam.

Invincible Execution likes this.
  18. Invincible Execution

Invincible Execution Varangian Warthane
    Hero

At the very least I would like to see trueforge armor/weapon gains scale based on the cost of the item crafted rather than spamming the cheapest item possible.

Candy, Rimamok and Kaurik like this.
  19. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

It already is based on resource cost per craft.

20. Wes Furtive

Legend

And let them unlock before you're pretty much done with crafting..

Invincible Execution likes this.