Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Billboard x Runebook

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NonFactor, Dec 4, 2018.

1. DeadlyHit

DeadlyHit Spellgazer
    Legend

They've said an arena is happening soooo..

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor likes this.
  2. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

This idea is great in theory until you start to see a trend of where people travel most often. Then you see groups like the 15 reign at villages camping at or near gates and so the newb or anyone is in an even worse situation. These type of gates existed in UO and were camped heavily (a) causing many people to die (b) forcing people to give up on the plan they previously had. Played UO for a long time and it was a big problem for many people. If you take a different route that ends up taking 2 and 3+ times the amount of time to get somewhere putting us back at square one. Leaving few options for players with little time.
    --- Post updated ---
    yes and from what I understood it wasn't like an q up kind of thing where people can sit in a blue city all day doing battles but more of a physical location where fights can be arranged. Either way it will end up making the world seem emptier than it is now, unless we do see a massive influx of people.

I am hopeful all will be well and will reserve judgment until then but, I have just seen bad things happen to open world and this game without a good strong open world is just another arena and no thanks. I like it because it is an open world pvp game with sieges I do not care much for arena games they tend to leave little to the imagination, it is repetitive, you always know it is even and eventually somewhat fare if it is balanced. I prefer the excitement of not knowing.

3. Poetent

Poetent Goblin Shaman

Putting in an arena system wouldn't correlate to anything like WoW. Yes. I've competed in a high arena setting on WoW and NEVER once flopped keybinds like I do on here. The adrenaline rush and nerves alone set that apart from any other game. That feeling a lot of people don't get to experience in other PvP situations. The arena would provide that and cater to the small group crowd and perhaps even the esport scene. Making our beloved RoA thrive.

Sameog and onslaught like this.
  4. Squanto

Squanto Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Ok you realize you still have runebooks right? They would just be on 30 minute timers and force you to re-mark your runes and add them back to the book or you wouldn't be able to get back. Where does this say they are forced to use these portals. Also, yes, some people would camp them.. but you realize an open world pvp game is supposed to have open world pvp... right? RIGHT!??!

5. Fengor

Fengor Obsidian Golem

Runebooks/Billboards need to have a CD. Half an hour? Something so that it isn’t spammed.

That being said, all wilderness portals NEED to be linked with no CD. I’d love to see open world groups using those instead. Camping chambers for open world was always great in my opinion.

Bartlebe, Squanto and Korag like this.
  6. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Black Knight
    Contributor Streamer Legend

I cannot wait to fight you a thousand times on jmans account just to get that one win and post it all over
    Damn Squanto be nice :p

7. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

yes and from what I understood it wasn't like an q up kind of thing where people can sit in a blue city all day doing battles but more of a physical location where fights can be arranged. Either way it will end up making the world seem emptier than it is now, unless we do see a massive influx of people.

I am hopeful all will be well and will reserve judgment until then but, I have just seen bad things happen to open world and this game without a good strong open world is just another arena and no thanks. I like it because it is an open world pvp game with sieges I do not care much for arena g
    My bad I missed the part where ya left rune books in, I believe they do need a cool down also, I suggested adding a sickness to using it a second time in a 10 to 30 minute stretch that gives a skill or stat debuff for x amount of time and only for those times where a players messes up and dies to a mob spawn. UO did this with the faction system so if you died to a faction player you could not instantly get back into the fight and be fully effective. It addresses both issues you have mentioned with rune books while also keeping them quite useful to the pve/non vet crowd.

I think 30 minute timer would be too long, 10 to 15 min being ok, but would also like to see a rune last for more than one use otherwise it kind of makes the book and or libraries since what is the point of having them in a book if they are deleted after just one use?

I am not against camping portals, did it in UO and did it in UW but since were trying to also cater to a bigger audience I just didn't want that to be the only option.

FYI I am just discussing and adding feed back so no need to get testy..

Squanto likes this.
  8. Chantree

Chantree Goblin Warlord
    Wealthy Legend

Weren’t you complaining about zerging via rune books ?
    Maybe you are playing the victim card ?
    I don’t really like your portal idea or your idea about lesser players wearing worse gear.
    Sounds like it would be more fun for Squanto but not myself.
    Hope BPG puts up a vote before any changes.
    If Zerging is really a problem for some folks maybe they could limit how many people port into a tile every X amount of time.

9. Squanto

Squanto Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

no discussion, or opinions, or adressing the points i made.
    [​IMG]
    K

10. GoodDoggie

GoodDoggie Ghost

Runebooks destroyed this game, nothing can fix this game but the removal of runebooks.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  11. Korag

Korag Forest Golem
    Hero

great addition to the discussion, thanks for all the input

Poetent likes this.
  12. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Legend

I hate agreeing with you but this is an excellent point. I really loved the runebooks at first but can see how it has undermined the usage of the wilderness portals. I even found myself wrinkling my nose at the idea of jumping through a few portals and riding around rather than just runebooking. Nerfing runebook usage would make this important again and get people traveling, at least a little bit. Books would still exist and you could still pop over to the other side of the world in a blink but you just couldn't spam it. It would have to be a commitment.

Fengor and Squanto like this.