Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Bring back 75 begone

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Grimtide, Dec 6, 2016.

?

Bring back old 75 magnitude begone?

1. Yes - list reason

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No - list reason

34 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Other - list reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Doesnt the new one add an animation to it though? Like those dudes are wearing jet packs or rocket boots or some shit. So it makes sense to the game. Thats my point with needing to make an animation so it doesn't look so silly

RootedOak likes this.
  2. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

TL : DR story of tribes:

Original Tribes the intent was to be a shooter with capture the flag. There was a bug that when you held in a certain button combination you could slide across the ground. When the Developer made the next iteration of the game, they embraced the bug that players named, "skiing". The latest (and somewhat dated) version of tribes, Tribes: Ascend, you just hold in a hotkey and it allows you to slide. Essentially the whole game revolves around skiiing now due to the popularity of the feature among players. Characters also have jetpacks and shoot plasma frisbees, so much like Darkfall and it's Staves with sparkplugs on the end, fiction rules.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I'll be honest I haven't played since mount stam was first added because my GPU died and im rebuilding a new system after Christmas/my Birthday so im only going off streams/ videos

What BPG has done and even what you're talking about seems to me will basically eliminate battlehorn riders and people from doing mounted combat in the VAST majority of situations and that's something I want brought back because it's another dimension of combat and a big SELLING point of the game.for new people

Do you guys remember the first time you saw the DF1 Launch Trailor video and cool mounted combat, no wall of force spam, and more archery/melee and even sword and board combat looked?

Man I Originally wanted to be a Mahirim with Dual Ghost Claws or Ghost Claw/shield heavy armor and come hither from air magic or to primary sithra/shield so baaad (I came from games like EvE where i'd take out rare shit in situations most people never would). Originally I was in a Mahirim Clan too and you'd see roaming bands of Alfar and just HATE those little mother fuckers. I also wanted to live on a tiny Island and defend it from/with boats

Boy was I disappointed about 4 months into launch....but as usual like many of you I adapted to whatever the most OP shit was and did that instead

Something went wrong along the way and it wasn't just Aventurines fault.

I don't care what the method used to do it is I'm just looking for a specific out comes

DnD actually has some great ideas that I think will appeal to a broader audience as well as maintain and possibly even grow their population/ Economy/ ingame activity/ politics but 90% of the people here say "fuck them EU always dies first they have no chance". Not monitoring your competition, giving them credit, and not reevaluating the norms or going back to the drawing board is how you lose.

I bought the most expensive package for RoA day 1 out of respect to the Original and to BPG even though I knew I wouldn't be playing alpha/beta. And I root for RoA because my friends are here, it's an NA server, the hotbar system and GUI is better, and ORIGINALLY I thought DnD would be too tedious for ME now that im older and it would take to long to get pvp but I'm actually starting to reconsider that.

As it is I think RoA will be active and dope for 3 months and then begin to trail off fast

As much as I LOVE competition and skill based fights id much rather give up a LITTLE of that or even be forced to do things I otherwise wouldn't if it allows more game longevity.

The scrubs were right when they said arena was bad

P.S not taking advantage of racial warfare and not highly promoting pure blood clans and guild/alliance identity politics in top tier pvp is a mistake

TLDR= I'm Rambling

#63 Battle Smurf, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  4. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Yes they have a jetpack that lights up when you use "jetpack" fuel. When you ski, there are little mini-jets that light up on the character's feet.
    --- Post updated ---
    I don't see how pureblood clans would ever be not-annoying. It would be a strange paywall to change clans coupled with a race change purchase.

5. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

From what I remember, the "skiing" in Tribes makes DF bunny hopping seem weak in comparison.

Over time and subsequent iterations of Tribes have embraced the skiing and it is kind a game within the game. Just like DF bunny hopping half the players loved, the other half hated it. You can find plenty videos specifically showing off Tribes skiing.

6. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Cant respond to all that atm but I hear you, I wanted to be an elemental archer for the longest time, and the only viable way to do that after they increased elemental protections on metal armor was to get Q4+ transmuted bows. Then combined that with an equal quality staff transmute and polearm. Shit is expensive af.

Mounted combat has definitely made a comeback though, its ridiculously powerful with the sprinting mechanic and the increased range on 1 handers.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  7. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

How is the current 75 begone different from alpha? I think I missed this in a patch notes

8. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

You realize Tribes and Quake are basically bad examples right ?

I mean I like both and the combat is great but they're effectively dead

And counterstrike bunny hopping got mad nerfed on competitive and doesn't even warrant close to the same "wtf" response from noobs

Hell my little sister started playing counterstrike recently as her first fps I showed her some vids and spent 1 weekend grouping with her she had no trouble learning it and NEVER called "hax or bullshit!" when seeing vet tricks.

Alternatively I tried to get my older Brother interested in this game, gave him the $ for it, showed him videos, TRIED to explain shit to him ect and goddamn I forgot how different it is for people coming here. Eventually I got tired and just said if you have any questions call me.....he ain't going to call

Personally I'm willing to give up certain advantages and fun if it means the game lasts longer with a better population I understand many of you disagree with that premise though

#68 Battle Smurf, Dec 7, 2016
    billysunday likes this.
  9. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

Ehh can't link a video. But yea CSGO hops are limited but can be beneficial if you can string together a decent ph00n sesh.

I think Darkfall should just limit the hops to like 5-6, that should give you enough space to get away and make it so its not infinite.

#69 onslaught, Dec 7, 2016
  10. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

I don't see how pureblood clans would ever be not-annoying. It would be a strange paywall to change clans
    Easy way to make this game popular is completely carebearize it. Make a PvE server with only sieges unlocking pvp combat. Would probably sustain thousands without advertising. I wouldn't be playing it, but yeah it would probably become something.

Reaching the competitive + fun combination is the trick. Like Dota 2 and Valve. It is extremely balance controlled and most of the things that demand the highest amounts of skill get nerfed or removed. Even the Dota 2 playerbase thinks that 60% winrate is really good when I played HoN I had a 72% winrate, but no one played that game because the skill ceiling shut out everyone that lost 70% of the time.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  11. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Maybe BPG gives ONE free race change and if you want to be a race traitor and join a new clan after that then you farm me or someone like me some gold and we'll purchase and trade you the race change item...

BPG NEEDS continuous revenue anyway and people buy cosmetic shit all the time in other games

I mean I'm fine with ARAC but only if there a serious reward for pure clans/alliances or a penalty like you can't own a city and have to live out of chaos cities and you can't go to racial cities

You might scoff at that idea but some of the most times I ever had was living out of chaos cities with ONLY a clan of my own race alliance and then later in a mahirim/orc only alliance city in Darkmoore

That would actually consolidate the population naturally and encourage other healthy competition and factions between veterans

If RoA dies I'm going to DnD and roleplaying the second coming of the Alfar God King by conquering and consolidating every city and hamlet in Alfar lands PERMANENTLY

All blue or non enemy Alfar will be allowed in all cities and will not be KoS within the territory of Nagast

Sounds cool right? You think I'm going to try something like that in THIS community with THIS in game rule set? FUUUUCK no it wouldn't even have a tiny % chance of working

#71 Battle Smurf, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Mycke and Aristos Giannes like this.
  12. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

as ive said in previous posts, the ones who want that old darkfall experience back are the ones that will kill the game. Id like to be wrong but i see this game dead in 3-6 months with the same die hards clinging to its tattered carcass unless they do some unpopular with the vets things to draw a crowd. The games graphics are a joke to kids nowadays, the mechanics are crude, the server isnt working anywhere near as good as a more modern mmo server with reliability and accuracy, There seems to still be some things left to the clients authority that shouldnt be and there is basically one path to take to be good, that isnt a sandbox that is a linear progression game with bugs and bad graphics.

This game NEEDS mounted combat. This game DOESNT NEED bunny hopping and faggotry. Mounts with archery or even start adding more mounts that are 2 player with sloooow firing heavy damage harpoons and shit to add diversity. Make the person controlling a boat immortal while on the helm so that people bring out boats more (this would mean the ships would actually have to fight to cause damage to the other side, not just flower unicorn flying shit through the water and kill the person operating the boat and keeping it). There needs to be more. People dont like a class system and specialization, yet the games that favor that sort of thing are seemingly more popular. Right now this is basically a FPS shooter with RPG elements. Players like story, they like strategic pve (not just this mob needs 6 guys and a mount), they like engaging PVP, They like choices in how things are done.

Begone/spikes/shrapnel/WOF/Storm Blast with bunny hoping is only the start of the issues with this game surviving the test of time as other MMOs have. Bunny hopping and the likes is what will kill the population. Toxic "this is a pvp game and i will kill anything that moves cause its my right and it shouldnt be able to get away" attitude will kill this game... again. DFO i quit cause of the exploits and cheats everywhere, you couldnt tell where your skill level was compared to others because you didnt know what they exploited or what cheats they were using. UW i quit because AV was pulling its same shit with no communication and not listening to players and allowing exploits and greifing to go unchecked all over again. Im here on ROA ONLY because its under new operation by people with an actual vested interest in its success who are doing it for it and not the money behind it.

If this was Darkfall Arena i would say who cares. When its a MMO with actual progress and time spent on building a character, to me its another story all together.

#72 kilrath81, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    billysunday likes this.
  13. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

exactly play smarter, kill mount faster or lose the kill, no way any player should be behind a player mounte
    except that it was super easy to catch and or outrun someone on a mount if ya was even half way decent at b hopin

Dixie Normus likes this.
  14. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Wrong, this only became true when the directional NE/SW functionality on Begone was removed by BPG.

15. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

PATCH NOTES - OCTOBER 21ST, 2016:
    • Reduced magnitude on begone and come hither

16. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

Bunny hopping is great and everyone loves it, end of story.

No need for Mr muscular dystrophy to chime in.

17. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

This is what kills a community. People like that. Bad Troll is Bad.

18. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Frostjarl
    Benefactor Contributor Legend

That and all the people that bitch about every single thing they are bad at...which in some cases is everything.

19. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

Who is bitching? Some of us are trying to have a constructive discussion on how we think the game could benefit and others... not so much.

"They are talking about changes i dont like... ATTACK!"

20. billysunday

billysunday Skeleton Archer
    Legend

you remember that time in dnd when you rolled a 20 sided die to see if your bunny hop was successful? oh wait...

Andrew and kilrath81 like this.