Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Bring back Portals and System Messages

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by SuB ZeRo, Jul 20, 2017.

1. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

BPG you guys hurt the game badly with this one. We never got to test this and now it's biting you in the ass badly. Once again you guys made a major change to the game without our opinion. I'm beginning to see an unfortunate pattern here :( The game feels dead and very few are logging in to go roam for hours.

Once you bind somewhere you're stuck there. Yes there are portals but so few are actually useful. Traveling is such a huge time commitment now. Marking runes is not a viable option anymore.

System messages give confidence the game is alive. I see someone enter my hamlet on Yssam and I can easily get pvp without roaming for 2 hours. Instead it's just empty... people come and go as they please.

I know you guys are working hard and we all appreciate that. It'd really make a big difference though if you include the community with major changes and please please please revert these 2 major changes you made. They're killing your game.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Numb, Truedon, Scrubby Bear and 4 others like this.
  2. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

yes for portals
    not sure for system messages (i like to raid cities more now than before)

3. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

The system message got added back to the game the last patch, but you have to set your city to Lawful and your alignment has to be 1,000 to see it... Good Luck! :smilingimp:

4. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

So it's pretty much useless for anyone who enjoys pvping.

5. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Yes to portal chambers and no to system messages. However, hitting someones node should show up.

Portal chambers could tie in to the future 'conquest towers' thing and even villages captured by your clan. It would add so much PURPOSE to the game and a reason to do these things.

The Red King likes this.
  6. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

I hate raiding cities without it, I know now that if I go into a holding and nobody is there, there will not be anybody there at all. With system messages you could lurk around and get fights at most holdings you went to.

Also now when people are raiding my city I have no way of knowing that if I am not bank staring. I understand the concept of being sneaky and stealing resources, but the only resource people are really trying to sneak in and steal are mines, so if you don't have a mine and people come to your holding, they are there for PvP, and you have no way of knowing and being able to come give them PvP.

RootedOak and WyLd_SyDe like this.
  7. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

There's no good reason not to add system messages back. If people really feel that the element of surprise is important (I disagree), then they can put a 30 second delay on it, or tie the delay to some other metric that would increase the value of raiding the city, the shorter the delay is.

8. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Raiding an active city with system messages meant hearing buff others swirling and dinging before you're even over the wall. A small delay could solve that problem while also retaining the benefits of finding PvP.

I wouldn't mind system messages being an investment of some kind. Perhaps a guard tower upgrade or a lawful city bonus.

9. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

I was thinking of something a little more interesting, like a box inside the keep that owner of the city can put gold in. No gold means no system messages and no towers. The more gold, the faster the system messages react, and the better the towers work. But the gold can be stolen by raiders.

10. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Been saying this since week 1. People hate to admit it but most of the pvp in dfo honestly revolved around portal chambers. The biggest change it did to hurt the game was make holdings beyond worthless. The mine nerf was basically the nail in the coffin as far as holdings are concerned. Like people are saying you are 100% committed to a holding now unless you want to drop 1 hour worth of farming or one hour worth of traveling. That's never good. Just creates situations like one continent having 90% of pvp for that month

11. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

No. You get a notification when your first clannie falls or people start screaming in comms.

TryHard likes this.
  12. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

But regional battles...

I knew as soon as I heard rumblings of the chambers being removed that we were in for trouble. Literally all of DF revolved around farming p shards, porting for fights, porting for PvE, and sieging for portal networks.

The clans that need to zerg to maintain their casuals couldn't zerg port people in. I'm sure it helped contribute to alliance boredom.

13. TryHard

TryHard Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Only if you bring back global siege messages too.

System messages for players entering citys sucked.

14. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

That's precisely what I've been saying from the beginning. Casuals need a zerg to defend themselves and their friends, it was their only chance. Now they can't defend their mines, get help when they need it, or even go anywhere they want to. All because ex bks didn't like getting zerged when killing nubs at aradoth :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

RootedOak likes this.
  15. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Holdings being linked via portals, would be nice for travel and holding value. System messages, are not a big deal, I think it is fine without them. Having both wilderness portals and holding portals, gives extra value to holdings, and still allows clans and individuals which do not have the ideal real-estate to travel fairly easily. If conflict is even an hour-several hours in order to participate, most people will not bother.

RootedOak likes this.
  16. GromWillmoor

GromWillmoor New Member
    Supporter

They should add a few villages an make it so a village is in the same tile as a holding. Then make it so the portal chamber can only be active if the clan owns the holding and captured the village. Then there would be reason to take them and try to hold them.

17. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

if holding portals are re-added they need to be on some sort of pedestal outside of the city range. This way the holding portals can be used by anyone without having to infiltrate a city, then hope to not get zerged at the other end. You also need to appear outside of the city, preferably in a random spot on the tile to split gangs comming through a bit and make it so the people comming through for PVP need to open the doors or scale the walls letting the invaders know that a defense force is incoming.

18. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

na

19. mrW

mrW Black Knight
    Legend

Asking to add portals back to holdings is same as asking putting the X back on the left

20. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

Then I say na to portals at all.