Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Bunnyhopping tutorial from Gotja

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by MikeJT, Jul 15, 2017.

1. blkgnd802

blkgnd802 Goblin Warrior

You don't b-hop yourself to 5 HP. You b-hop after them and then throw one spell at them while they're at 5 HP and you're still a few hits from dead. If the guy losing the fight b-hops first, then he's going to be at 5 HP first and dying from one follow-up hit. Learn to recognize spell animations and develop the reaction time to do something about it.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #41 blkgnd802, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  2. Pimptight

Pimptight Obsidian Golem
    Streamer Legend

My character is crap I dont have 75 in any blind I dont have more than 2 r90's and both are 50 I have fireball and 2 rays at 75 my stats are 75 or 80 other than strength that is 100. I have no problem fighting finished characters not that i win because it is all player skill based at this point. You can rewatch my stream VOD's if you dont think im telling the truth. I work 12 hours a day play maybe 2 and i have no problem competing.

If I was to log into a brand new character that didnt even have spells how would you expect me to beat someone who has them?

Are you really this stupid or just a cuck who wants his way and no one else can have a say?

Also

So stop bitching about shit that isnt changing and start looking at the reasons the population is really dying like broken patchs and a bad launch buggy servers and NO FUCKING REAL SHIT TO DO WHEN YOUR DONE LEVELING.

But hey what do I know im only here because I actually like the game that is Darkfall and dont want DND style bull shit changes.

3. ijharb

ijharb Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter

You're asking too much of the common player.

4. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

good god

5. Down Syndrome

Down Syndrome Fire Elemental
    Legend

Ah yes turning your mouse as you jump is very difficult.

Apparently your reading comprehension is not very good. I didn't say if they just changed bunnyhopping I said if they changed most or 'a lot' of the core mechanics.

Sure you could call it low skill or tactically outplaying your opponents.

Pretty much the rest of your argument is fallacious.

It boils down to this. You have a full loot MMO, that immediately cuts down your potential playerbase. You have a MMO with FPS aiming and friendly fire, there goes another chunk of your potential playerbase out the window. Now to top it off you have a high skill ceiling, where it actually takes a lot of practice to be good at this game, oh there's another chunk of potential playerbase out the window.
    Bunnyhopping is very low on the fucking list of why this game can't attract players. It's the same dozen or so people over and over again saying to nerf bunnyhopping.

You want Darkfall with 10k concurrent players at peak times, disable friendly fire, make all rays into cones, all bolt spells home in on opponents, get rid of the full loot, slow down movement by 50%, add giant aoe archery abilities and make arrows home in on opponents too, make tab targetting healing abilities add in RNG miss chances so players can still blame the game mechanics for their losses and you'll probably have 10k+ concurrent players.

Slave Labor likes this.
  6. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

But it's really not a high skill ceiling. Not compared to many games.

Even people with pretty basic FPS skills are probably 90% as effective as the most skilled players.

Massive hitboxes, slow pace, numerous spells which knock players up in a predictable fashion giving you a free hit, high damage weapons that take little skill, WoF reduces player control, insta delivery rays which can be fired off in quick succession for massive burst damage...

Pressing space bar as you hit the ground is the least of additions to "skill" in this game.

If you're "skilled" with bunny hopping you can take several hops with no damage. But that's not what players do. They hop to 5 hp health and you have the choice of letting them go or following them and engaging them at 5 hp. Everything you did before that is irrelevant and it comes down to 1 hit.

Bunnyhopping is like fighting in an MMA tournament, and after getting your opponent worn out, exhausted and sore, about to win, 3 guys jump into the octagon and pummel the living crap out of you so you're on an equal footing with your opponent again. What a load of crap.
    --- Post updated ---
    I'd hardly call bunny hopping away knowing that your toon will heal faster and forcing your opponent to engage at 5 hp if they want to follow you 'outplaying' your opponent.

Your argument is as old as Darkfall itself. "If we change A, then we must change B, C, D, E, F and G as well or there's no point! The game should stay exactly as it is."

Bunny hopping is waaaaaayy further up on the list of reasons this game can't attract players than you think. Forcing people to spend time grinding spells to keep-up with or escape from other bunny hoppers when they could, I dunno, maybe, be focusing on other skills, is just part of the problem.

The second issue is the veteran toon advantage to healing, which I've discussed at length - veteran toons have high quicken spells and intensify in lesser magic and witchcraft, plus hasten spells from Arcane, giving them the ability to heal up a lot faster than lower level toons. So even when that low level toon absolutely wrecks that high end toon, the high end toon just bhops away la-dee-dee-la-dee-day and heals from 5 hp to 200 in the time it takes the low end toon to heal from 5 to 150. These skills can not be leveled overnight.

So despite the fact that the low-end toon player was dominating the high end toon player gets to reset the fight and put themselves back on the advantage with a cheesy spell and a couple of presses of the spacebar.

This is bollocks, this is why people get frustrated and quit - because until they get their toon to the same level of that guys toon, their chances are slim to non, and they know the mountain they must climb to "get good".

Back in DFO I saw SKILLED players (players with actual skill, not just a bunch of spells leveled up and the ability to press space bar as you hit the ground), dominate long term vets who were considered GOOD players, with nothing but a quickness buff, 25 greatsword mastery and 25 sharpshooter, but only in duels.

Why only in duels? Because in open PvP they couldn't keep up with the bunny hoppers which would escape from them and heal-up whilst they struggled to get back any health at all, then turn back at them with more health and stamina and repeat the process until they finally won.

Putting people into the game and getting them PvP viable ASAP and taking away the ability to cheese your way out of any situation is one simple step is making this game appeal to a broader player base.

Bunny hopping doesn't raise the skill ceiling, it lowers it. It puts high level toons on even more of an advantage for the most basic of player input - pressing space bar.

You can disagree with me all you want. You're allowed to be wrong.

#46 MikeJT, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  7. Skitzo1

Skitzo1 Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

Stop pretending that bunnyhopping is something you have to play for 5 years to master.. you shoot a spell at the ground and jump a bunch.. it's not that hard

8. Frog

Frog Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

then how come the majority of people are so fucking bad at it? every single time i'm out pvping someone is bound to royally fuck up a hop (myself included of course) and get themselves killed. you're right that it doesn't take 5 years to master, it's not that hard but it is a skill. even then, there are really good players who have been playing this game since eu launch that don't bunnyhop perfectly every time.

9. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Died a couple days back after I was winning a 1 v 1 out in the world, guy begones away when he gets low when he gets to 10% and I'm at 65%. I was dumb as fuck and decided to pursue, we both get down to 10% and he edges me out.

I should've probably just left and went home after he begone'd, but because I wanted to finish the guy, I lost, gets a couple good shots on me and wins. It's cool guys, lets all defend this terrible mechanic until the end of time.

MikeJT likes this.
  10. saouled

saouled Goblin Shaman

sorry but this one is a l2p issue

11. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

I shouldnt have chased? We both took roughly the same fall damage only difference was i went from 65 to 1 to 10, and he went from 10 to 1 to 10, and managed to get the last two shots.

12. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Didn't you know? Bringing your opponent down to your level with bunny hopping is "skill"

13. saouled

saouled Goblin Shaman

You missed 2 hits as you said.

14. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

If you fail to see the logic of what I said, you probably still have velcro shoes and live with your mom still.

15. saouled

saouled Goblin Shaman

I do live with a mom, but it's yours.

16. SenseiSpades

SenseiSpades Celestial
    Tester

Atleast you have some humor