Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Card Collecting in Agon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarkGhost25, Jun 28, 2017.

1. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

We know there is a card game coming at some point, can we start collecting the cards now? Let's just have a simple card game like in final fantasy. There is 1 card per monster type in Agon and you have a 1 in 500 chance of looting the card. This means that farming goblin fighter cards might not too be difficult but they'd still take effort, getting a fire dragon card would be legendary. Items like this are way more fun than what we currently have imho. Poorly crafted sample image below :p

Edit: I forgot to mention, there could be tasks for collecting cards, I bet it would be really fun for a lot of people.

upload_2017-6-28_10-54-2.png

#1 DarkGhost25, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Ylahoto, Melkrow, Fengor and 4 others like this.
  2. LordPest

LordPest Goblin Warrior

.... but why?

tech likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

And what would be the benefit of said cards? Just to collect, no thanks, that's a waste of development time. If you could equip a card to get better loot from said mob or do more damage to said mob or even take less damage from said mob then ok maybe.

Slave Labor likes this.
  4. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

The purpose of the cards is both for the sake of collecting and to use them to play a card game against other players, that's what the stats are for. BPG has already stated that collectable cards will be added to the game and that there will be card games to play. As for benefits, I imagine a good benefit would be selling them for shitloads of gold/items and I figure people would gamble with them too, highly entertaining for sure.

BootyEater69 likes this.
  5. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

So no real benefit for pvp or pve? No thank you then, plz don't was development time on this when it could be used on something better.

6. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

Kinda too late though, it's in the road map and it's been discussed already. Now maybe they will make the cards have some kind of benefits, who knows ;)

7. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Where did they say they are putting a card game in? I am all for it, just wondering.

Fengor and DarkGhost25 like this.
  8. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

You can learn more about the plans here: https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/darkfall-rise-of-agon-the-big-picture.3790/

Also, here is the specific section I was referencing:
    "
    Sandbox Additions - The world of Agon is a living, breathing seamless world, and it is important that players have the ability to live how they please. Big Picture Games will continuously work to add in new ways that players can interact with the world and each other, enhancing the in-game experience for all walks of life.
    • Create social hubs in NPC cities for players to play games against one another

• Implement persistent crafting stations that can be both crafted and placed by players out in the world

• Develop various items users can build and place to make their homes and cities more unique such as light poles, bushes, benches, player heads etc

• Make bulletin boards players can use to issue player quests, offer services, request trades, and post news both in NPC cities and by bulletin boards placed by players

• Create mercenary/sellsword functionality to allow players to give feedback and create/pick up contracts for services
    • Allow written notes and other items to be placed out in the world for other players to find"

In a later thread it was revealed that BPG enjoyed card games from other video games such as final fantasy (9?). Iirc there was discussion about looting cards but I'm not positive as it was a while back.

9. Hook

Hook Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

Just because they have "talked about it" doesn't mean it's in development and they can change their mind and scrap the idea.

10. Fenrir Frauki

Fenrir Frauki Windlord
    Loyal Supporter

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    SomeBK likes this.
  11. Foomanchu

Foomanchu Goblin Warlord

almost saddening to see that post from nearly a year ago and so little on it completed

12. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

You're full of anger and negativity in every post you make, you need to find ways to relieve stress and you'll be much happier.

Korag likes this.
  13. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

Well ywa, anyone can change their mind about anything at any time. Hopefully, they don't.

It may be hard for some of you to believe, but these kind of fluff ideas are what keeps players invested in games for the long run. What do you do when the pvp is getting stale.....log out? Well what if you could play chess, go to the bar with clanmates, bet on fights, or dye your armor exactly how you want it.

Not only that, even if you absolutely hate every fluff idea ever posted here, if there is only 1 thing that we can all agree on, it's that the more varied type of players that a game can attract and keep in game the better for the players and the dev team.

So, yea, seems like a no brainer.

Korag, Kwatos, Dufer and 4 others like this.
  14. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

And this is the problem we face on the forums regularly, much of the hardcore pvp crowd does not understand the perspectives of other player types, not even a little bit. If something doesn't pertain to pvp then it is considered a waste of time, but this game desperately needs more casual activities, more fluff, more variety, that's how we can grow the player base.For me personally, I used to duel for many hours per day perfecting my skills, pvp was the name of the game. But I am *very* intrigued by casual activities in RoA, poker, new card games, etc can really draw me in. I know that if there was a card collecting element to the game I would be all over it, and just look at the vast popularity of Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering, people love card games, they love collecting things, that's why "bank staring" is so prevalent, and that's why a lot of people in this game refuse to trade *anything* away, they're too attached to it. I also doubt, very strongly, that many of the naysayers have experienced truly awesome loot moments, very exciting stuff, RoA currently does not have it imo, but it can get there.

Mycke likes this.
  15. LordPest

LordPest Goblin Warrior

There are a million other improvements they could make to this game before a fucking card game should even be considered. Actual content that utilizes what is already in the game would be a much better use of development time. Pvp content, pve content, housing content, city content, crafting content, etc... But a fucking card game? Is that what will keep you playing? What the fuck is wrong with you people? Go play hearthstone or some shit.

Hook and Murrstz like this.
  16. Tomato Soup

Tomato Soup Goblin Warrior

Game needs more fluff. I still want an arena I can travel to and set up wagered duels and a minigame of battlespike dodgeball to the death.

Fluff will keep new players and casuals who dont want to farm for hours for gearbags and then get annoyed when they lose everything they farmed.

#16 Tomato Soup, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  17. DarkGhost25

DarkGhost25 Black Knight
    Loyal Contributor Hero

You just listed all the things that you think are important and inferred that your needs are more important than the needs of others. You are not the demographic that needs to be targeted, fluff activities are the #1 thing that is needed for this game to move away from it's pvp arena stigma. You have no idea how many people expect fluff activities in mmos, I'd be willing to bet that 90%+ of the people that join this game are casual players.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  18. Brown Dorf

Brown Dorf Goblin Warlord

Combat pets too please. And gyms to train
    Them in.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  19. nightblighter

nightblighter Akathar
    Patron

They also mentioned their plans for a card game in an interview on the sandbox podcast prior to release.

I think it would be cool if you crafted blank cards and then went out into the world and "captured" mobs. Other cards could be crafted by combining a blank card with a potion, or with a justicebringer, etc. that way every card in the card game is just a thing from actual darkfall. The idea of having cards drop from mobs is boring.

Green Chili likes this.
  20. LordPest

LordPest Goblin Warrior

You guys joined the wrong fucking game if this excites you...

tech likes this.