Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Change how Villages and Billboards Work.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sorrow Avaritia, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Sorrow Avaritia

Sorrow Avaritia Obsidian Golem
    Hero

With the "Unique" Relic Bonuses possibly being put in the game, I think it would also be a great time to change the villages and add these relics as a very rare drop chance to them.

To create PvP hot spots and to stop every1 spending 2/3 of their time in a safe blue city I think it would be a good idea to remove all blue city billboards, I think that these things are very bad for the game as people are just spending most of their time in nearly complete safety.

I also think that it is completely illogical that the best way to go around killing people, which should make you red, is to stay blue and live in an NPC city in complete safety.

The billboards should be put in the 3 chaos cities at middle map. Each billboard should cover a different area of the map.

Hintenfau should cover Elf, Wolf lands, Niff and the middle map villages (Elish, Harjik, Aldenfau, Ryhandel, Blackwood, Gul Jarnath, Anshar).

Ottenhal should cover Dwarf, Orc lands, Yssam and the middle map villages (Elish, Harjik, Aldenfau, Ryhandel, Blackwood, Gul Jarnath, Anshar).

Espenhal should cover Alfar and Human lands, Ruby and Cairn.

The billboards should also work in a similar way to what recall does (maybe around half the time of bindstone recall), to add a little more risk to using them.

After this all villages should be giving a level between 1 and 5, tier 1 villages should drop the lowest amount of loot and have a rare chance of dropping a level 1 relic, a level 2 village should drop a bit more loot and a rare chance of dropping a level 2 relic and so on until level 5 village should drop the highest amount of loot with a very rare chance of dropping a level 5 relic.

The relic drop chance should be a very low drop chance and be limited to 1 per village cap, even if you have 15 people capping it the chance should only be like 15% that 1 drops. Or maybe a lot less depending on balancing issues.

I think that Middle map villages and sub cont villages should be between 3-5 and the rest should be between levels 1-3.

During none prime time 3 villages should go live with different levels, a level (1 or 2), a level 3, and a level (4 or 5), should go live, the level 5 should take a longer time to capture. During prime time one of each level should go live.

This would create 3 heavily contested hot spots around middle map, as well as giving people incentive to go to a village where they are more likely to find a better fight. For example noobs going to a level 1, good players going to a level 5. Its also likely that zergs will go to a level 5. So it will create move even pvp.

I believe this would help generate pvp a lot.

I am unsure if the following would be a good idea or not, but it could be a really nice way to give value to holdings.

There could be billboards added to holdings but on a limited global basis. For example it could be made so that there is a global limit of 5 Billboards. A clan could only build / hold 1 billboard at a time. There would be 1 billboard for each level, so you could only have 1 level 1,2,3,4 and 5 billboard.

If you own a billboard and capture another billboard city, both will be disabled until you build one, during this time some1 else can build 1 of these billboards deciding for you to prevent 1 clan having multiple.

A holding billboard should have an upkeep cost and should only be usable be the clan that owns that city to prevent people using alt clans to capture multiple billboards.

This would make it so low level clans would go after low level billboards, and high level clans will go after high ones. If a billboard is built at a player city it should mark it on the map, that way it would create a good reason to go after a holding. You would also know a clan is active because up the up keep cost.

I believe that this would encourage sieging quite a bit.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  2. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

The current thought with billboards is adding them to both player cities and chaos cities. Change the fee to be based on location and tier of village selected instead of alignment as well. Finally to have the billboard location determine the access to PvE or PvP village tiers we plan to add in.

3 tiers PvP villages planned also PvE village options, both lawful and lawless. Mainland billboards to access lawful PvE villages and low end lawful PvP villages on mainland. Sub continent to access lawless high end PvP villages on sub continents.

Thoughts?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    koruun, Animal and KingLlama like this.
  3. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Legend

nothing will work with 20 players online. they change the combat and no one is logging anymore. its a fact and u easily can check doing some villages.

4. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

I don't know, I feel as if having billboards in blue cities is a really bad idea, its encouraging people to just sit in safe zones. I think if you added a limited amount of billboards to player cities it would add a reason to siege.

What do you think about where the billboards are now? To me it seems like 40 mins out of an hour are spent doing nothing.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  5. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Team Lead Developer

First the billboards will provide more than just villages.
    Second, why would you want to limit access to something that is intended to bring people together for pvp?
    Removing most of the loot from villages so people can't survive using them will get them out into the world getting the supplies required to go fight in villages.

6. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

I know that I am repeating myself but in response to your question, although your current system brings people together for pvp, it is only for a small amount of time, the rest of the time they are sitting in a safe city where they cannot get pvp. If the billboards themselves were limited and in a spot where pvp could be had, the billboards themselves would be pvp hotspots, as well as allowing people to port to villages to pvp. This would create much more pvp for the people wanting to go to villages.

7. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Team Lead Developer

I guess where the disconnect is is that I see villages themselves as the PvP. The billboards as the access point. The more access to the board the more likely you'll have opponents in the village. If the board is out of the way and inconvenient you'll have fewer people going for them. If it's organic pvp your wanting then there needs to be other reasons, non PvP reasons, to go to certain locations like the pots or hellgates or shadowbane mines.

Sameog and Andrew like this.
  8. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem

The new billboard changes will make villages more into a battleground as it won't be teleporting you to soon to be active villages, it will provide a set engagement that you select a village type/tier, pay the wager and when a match is found it will activate a village for the fight. The system will automatically adjust villages that go live based on player's actively queuing for an engagement. The loot is going to be more focused around gold and other items as well as a leaderboard system is the plan, we want to get away from it giving the kind of loot that other activities like gathering and killing mobs would get you. This will encourage crafters and PvE'ers to supply the market and PvP minded players to buy gear using gold from winning villages. We want to ensure that the village system is a fun way to find PvP but we don't want it to be easily self-sustaining. We can look at options for 1v1 duel-esque encounters, picking up "ringers" to make up a full team, etc. This will allow even solo players to take part in the system.

The Red King, Animal, Sameog and 2 others like this.
  9. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

I know I've said this a few times now but I really think you should add this system and leave a couple hourly open villages too. You'd get best of both worlds and with less frequent open villages they'd be more contested.

koruun and Sameog like this.
  10. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Black Knight
    Legend

Those poker tables are also a great way to keep people logged in between villages.

The Red King, Fengor and Nat like this.
  11. Sameog

Sameog Dire Zombie
    Legend

Needs to be a system as well for constant fighting/dueling in quick succession so people can practice the combat. Help the noobs!

Add good default bindings and bam! Lots of noobs get to learn how to pvp organically by fighting lots of different people without downtime

Johhny Mad Dog and Fengor like this.
  12. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Obsidian Golem
    Hero

Blue city billboards should be strictly about pve. Put ppl who enjoy farming with random blue players togheter.

It makes no sense to have blue players porting to villages only to have them killing each others.

13. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

I guess we will have to wait for the new villages to see how it is then, although I feel like you will have killed off your game even more with combat patches by then.

I just don't get how you think its a good idea to encourage people to stay safe in starter cities, I imagine most of the people who actively pvp since the billboard system have spent the majority of their time just sitting there bank staring in blue cities.

I guess an easy fix to this problem would be to make it so the village timers are changed from 3 / 6 going live at the same time to one going live every 20 / 10 minutes. That way at least a village would be live most of the time instead of all the waiting.

14. Methodico

Methodico Gravelord

Yeah but if you don't give a good loot no one will go to take a village. Loot is a good way to bring people in village.

15. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem

Being blue has to do with non consensual PvP in lawful lands. Villages are a conscious decision to engage in PvP. Blue doesn't mean someone doesn't PvP, it is a indicator of intent. This concept that blues are "PvE only" characters is incorrect, it simply means they have chosen to not kill other blues in lawful zones. Reds you can reasonably expect to be kill on sight PK'ers but blues are likely to be friendly in lawful zones.

The current discussion is that guard tower areas will be a little more expensive for the safe port. This will encourage chaos city and player city billboard use.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  16. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

You are missing the point entirely, pkers / pvpers are going blue for easier access to pk / pvp people, as a result they spend most of their time doing nothing. This in turn reduces the chance to get pvp.

17. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Obsidian Golem
    Hero

@Andrew

Ppl need to find a reason to log-on for more than VCP's. We've been limited to dueling, VCP's and farming in peace with spawn-scaling.
    Ppl don't care about their holdings. You siege a clan that's powerful enough to defend itself and nobody shows up.
    Imo, war declaration should come-back, but newb's under certain total hours should earn the option to remain in safety despite that.
    I think player holdings(something that you must build/rebuild, pay for or win) has to become better than a safezone.
    This mean that a player holding doesn't only need a billboard, but also a global market now.
    You scrapped the whole market idea you had in mind for a global market: more reason to stay in the safezones with unlimited items on the list.
    You guys haven't noticed yet? The more global stuff/instant travel manners that we get, the more we see ppl staring at the bank or staying put all day, away from danger, thinking about what to do next. That's not better.
    For now, you know it's easy to stay blue. you can be a saint, but blue players are still scared of you coz it takes no time at all to take back what you lost in alignment.

Alingment change that's coming, territory control, they are probably going to change some of the complain that i have, but for now, it doesn't look like we are doing much; atleast not as much as what we've been doing from launch to runebook-patch on a daily basis(if we exclude levelling).

Fengor and Mea Kulpa like this.
  18. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem

Yes we're aware of the current environment with alignment farming and why it is being changed. We're adding in hotspots through the new stat pots, relics, bounties and new dungeon resources to name a few. We're also changing the billboards when they go in player cities/chaos cities. They will be a bit cheaper than capital cities due to the safety in npc cities is the plan.

Fengor likes this.
  19. Sorrow Avaritia

Hero

Doing it this way wont solve anything though, people are just going to sit in out of the way cities in relative safety waiting to port, there will still be the problem of lots of down time.

Have you ever considered changing how the timer works? So instead of all villages going live at the same time, one goes live every 20 / 10 minutes. This would help a lot with down time as there would always been a contested village, so there will always be chance for pvp. It would also resolve the problem of going to look for pvp and going to the wrong village so you end up finding no one.

20. Animal

Animal Obsidian Golem
    Hero

The queueing system they mentioned alleviates the exact thing you're asking to solve. Also, the separation of goals between PvE and PvP billboard queuing is something this game desperately needs. We need to clearly define boundaries to cater to the players that may not want to engage in PvP, but also create hotspots/opportunities for those with bloodlust outside of slaughtering the sheep.

I've always been fairly confused by the anti-social nature of this game. As much as I hate to say it... WoW(some would argue EQ did it first) managed to hit the nail on the head when it came to online social interaction. PvE was the foundation on which alliances and bonds were formed.

@Sorrow Avaritia

The downtime will be entirely determined by how active the population is at any time.

(I feel inclined to mention that villages are already, for the most part, an arena)

#20 Animal, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    The Red King, Fengor and koruun like this.