Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Change the way mines work to be more like Shadowbane

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nat, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Mines are dumb. They are static, almost always empty, offer little to no incentive to raid and are never contested beyond sieges. They are wasted content that could be better used for clan based activities.

Take a note from Shadowbane's mine system; one of the most fun aspects of that game that created daily Clan V Clan action.

1. Remove rare ores from city mines (perhaps beef up the iron ore or whatever)
    2. Add rare ore (and resource) mines throughout the world near player cities and elsewhere.
    3. Allow clans to conquer the mines every 48 hours during a window of opportunity (1-2 hours) set by the current owner of the mine.
    Notes:

Anyone can hit the mine at any time but can never empty it beyond 40% max capacity, only the alliance that owns it can fully deplete it.

Clans with a conquest tower in the tile can pay gold to automatically mine until at 50% max capacity. However, the rare ore will go into the conquest towers storage and can be raided and looted. If your mine's conquest tower is connected to your player city the resources will automatically be moved to each conquest tower until it reaches your city and deposited in a clan bank or storage. The more towers needed the longer this takes.

Mines closer to your city will provide more resources.

Conquering a mine requires a clan to first destroy the conquest tower (if applicable) or the mine itself and fight for supremacy by either erecting their own conquest tower or claiming the mine with a clan shard (with a timer).
    This is just a rough system draft inspired by Shadowbane to demonstrate. It can be tweaked and changed to accommodate Darkfall and the upcoming conquest towers. KhaoZ mentioned Shadowbanes mine system so I made a thread.

#1 Nat, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  2. l0st exile

l0st exile Crypt Guard

+1

on a side note I always thought villages were going to become "shadowbane mines" instead we got... mohagony.. LOL

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    The Red King, Sero and Fengor like this.
  3. Oddjob

Oddjob Goblin Shaman
    Tester

I'm all in favor of any changes that make Darkfall more like Shadowbane or Ultima Online. Those are the 2 top models for sandbox MMO with clan warfare.

4. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

What if rather than static mines they were built and placed by the clan that owns the tile. The further from the city, the higher chances for rares. The type of rare would be determined by the cities location.

Ylahoto and Oddjob like this.
  5. Oddjob

Oddjob Goblin Shaman
    Tester

I like the idea and would make the deviations for each rare count vs distance from city a very significant increase re: a very significant motivator to not keep your mine in town and in fact make it worth baby-sitting 24/7 when it's far enough away that it spews ore like the little rat from Valerian. Make it so it would be downright *wrong* to keep your mine in town for safety for all calculus except that of perhaps a solo hamlet owner, who has his own risks of not being able to defend his holding from a siege force.

6. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  7. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

Sounds alright. Main thing is it's outside of the walls, it can't be tapped continuously by a naked, and it's worth while to fight over.

8. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

The city or any city? I could see this getting exploited by alliances, especially 'unofficial' ones that don't use the in game ally mechanic if its just the owning city. They could build mines 'far' from each of their own cities but near their unofficial ally. It would also make it worth it to never blow up enemy 'mines' near you since they would be more profitable to you up than down, which is counter intuitive. I think we can come up with something better.

Fengor likes this.
  9. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

It could only be placed on the same tile as the city or a tile that is connected (coming with control towers).
    --- Post updated ---
    And of course there would be limitations on distance. You wouldn't be able to place them withing the city limits and after reaching a certain distance the bonus to output or rare chance would be capped.

10. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

But you would still be able to chain them near, but not in, another city?

11. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

Are you concerned that people would claim two cities near each other so they can put both mines on the same tile? Assuming they control the land between I don't see a problem with it. More incentive to own a region rather than spread around.

12. pathion

pathion Gravelord
    Supporter

Maybe if there was a system where farming local mobs / doing quests filled your mine up and the rare resources were a lot more common from mines.

13. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

We'll be putting in a resource cache that does pretty much that with the towers.

14. pathion

pathion Gravelord
    Supporter

true.

15. Foomanchu

Foomanchu Goblin Warlord

lol so many people shat on UW yet keep seeing suggestions/implementations similar to UW

on topic: any of these suggestions are by far better than the current implementation of mines
    and honestly, if a clan / alliance want to stack mines close to each other, the game should let them.. 2-4 mines at the corners of the tile adjacent to each other makes it that much more of a hotspot

16. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

No, not the same tile just near each other. Say we have clan A and clan B. They are not allied, but agree to build mines at max bonus distance from each other, but towards each other. They then get max bonus mining closer to each other and bypass the distance requirement by mining each others mines in a gentlemen's agreement. Does that make sense? Clan A builds their 'max distance bonus' mine closer to clan B's city and vice versa so they each get max bonus mining without having to travel or defend a distant mine.
    --- Post updated ---
    Not all of UW's core ideas were bad. The problem was most of even the good parts were so poorly implemented that they sucked. Scraping and fishing trawling was a great idea on paper that they implemented in a 'afk to make uber money' way instead of something more active and fun. Danger zones were a great idea, but several rampant dupes and the essence system where every city node dropping every essence undermined it to a point where it only really mattered for scraping/trawling. Super nodes were a good idea, but again what was the point when several dupes and a broken essence economy had already destroyed the economy and they weren't implemented in a great way tbh. Salvaging was so expensive it was only barely worth it at max level, so it ended up being yet another piece of 'wasted content' that barely anyone bothered to actually use, but the concept of salvaging gear (UO style) is good.

Places where they uber fucked up super hard and got nothing right were mostly combat and forced higher graphics settings that made performance even more ass than DFO.

17. Sul

Sul Goblin Scout

That could be pretty interesting. As long as they can't be placed near another city.
    Imagine if Clan A could place a mine close enough to Clan B city, that Clan B could safely harvest it and vise versa.
    Would sort of defeat the purpose of moving mines away from cities.

18. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

The distance requirement would include any city.

19. Thomar

Thomar Goblin Warlord
    Hero

YES PLEASE! ADD MINES LIKE SHADOWBANE!

20. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

In nats implementation he has the mine regenerating and usable at any time. I imagine a bar that files up that anyone can see so people know when to come collect it

Nat likes this.