Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

change to effectively level buffs, buff others, debuffs etc with active play

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by apophis, Aug 16, 2016.

1. apophis

apophis Goblin Warlord
    Legend

so this time around i refuse to macro. i see people doing heal self macros, adept macros etc but i'm just bored and done with that. i would like an active way to actually raise these spells that aren't going to level at an acceptable rate from natural play and not be forced to do silly things like shoot a monster with begone for 1 dmg.

so here's my suggestion : make sure all of these spells have a scroll in game, add them to more monster loot tables, make them a semi rare drop instead of an extremely rare drop, and change the cap from 40 to 75 or so.

i know i can meditate these things, which i do plan to do eventually probably, but really stats are a way higher priority and its not very cost efficient

Lexendros, murk, BeatIt and 10 others like this.
  2. Ninogan

Ninogan Undead Dwarf
    Legend

I'd be all for this. The way it's always been is really not fun. You have a few options. Either you level it manually and attended which would require a special type of crazy person or you let it level over months while doing PvE/PvP which makes you fall behind. Last option is of course to macro it but I'm really not keen on installing a virtual machine again to macro while I'm playing other games you know?

Fengor likes this.
  3. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

utlity spells too

But really I would just base buffs, buff others, utility spells off the school or durable magic level

come hithering, begoning, ect mobs is absurd

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

yes this is not even an request.. this HAS to be changed

5. JasonDark

JasonDark Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Like your idea, about scrolls for utility non-damage spells... remove any active gain (to prevent further macroing them) and have these scrolls instead... would prefer that over the general binding to durable etc magic base skills

6. DagothUr

DagothUr Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

most of my self buffs are 25+ from just buffing for pve for a few days.

doubt it takes that long to get 75 from normal play

a month maybe two.

U guys seem to be in too much of a hurry to get stuff like this up

whats the hurry its not like any1 else is there either.

Myater, Ylahoto and Super Star like this.
  7. JasonDark

Legend

well, I'm not in a hurry, even more on the opposite side, I don't want to be maxed out in 3 months...
    The point the OP is referring to, is to avoid macroing...
    Bc, as long as it is possible (and you can't ban all, right now they are even just kicked) people will do it to get an advantage while sleeping - and if it's done, other people feel they fall behind and start macroing as well... but i feel the same about like the OP, I'm right now not really in the mood to do it also again...

8. DagothUr

Legend

there is no way to stop macroing though.

all they can do is have harsh punishments.

alternative ways to level will not stop people from macroing unless those alternative ways are so much more effective that it would make no sense to macro, but if they are so effective there will be no long term progression.

9. JasonDark

Legend

well, it's plain simple - if they remove the gains from those utility spells usage and replace them by scrolls, quest, meditation, etc.?, then you can't macro them anymore... like the removed swimming stat gains (with whole spell removed) - or do you still see and hear swimmers around?

10. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Black Knight
    Staff Member

I really like the idea of spell scrolls, it's something we have discussed internally but as I am sure you can imagine we have a lot of things we are currently looking into. Nonetheless I've passed this thread's feedback to the team.

11. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

wow way to rip off my idea

Fengor, apophis and murk like this.
  12. Korak

Korak Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Why not just make buffs level by using them in combat rather than casting them? for instance if you are farming mobs with the fire quickness buff active you will gain xp per hit on the mob. this would also make it impossible to macro them.

Nat, Ledwulf, JasonDark and 2 others like this.
  13. murk

murk Crypt Guard
    Supporter

Best way to add content is make broken content into worthwhile content :^)

I've always loved the UO style of being forced early game to farm mobs whom drop a certain scroll in order to add it to your spell book. Nothing exciting about buying my spell for 300 gold from a lifeless NPC.

Slayven, Circa, Fengor and 5 others like this.
  14. MacDareth

MacDareth Goblin Scout
    Legend

another way to do buff and debuffs would be to just have them set to a certain base level. they are at that point when you buy them and never change.

15. Vrain

Vrain Crypt Guard
    Legend

I will always be in favor of rewarding actively playing the game. Like the idea of scrolls and quests also the idea of bufs raising along with gmagic school for example.

16. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

buffs leveling with their respective spells school is actually a cool idea and would remove the last bit of macroing that feels required to do; that being said it also reduces the grind significantly. Durable, Magnitude, efficiency etc would also have to be changed because now you are losing out on 1000's of casts from self buffs/buff others that you otherwise had to do previously to level them up.

17. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

One idea I've had for a while on this but haven't discussed it much yet in the team is an "affinity" skill for each spell school. Something that you can buy at skill 1 that levels like the other passives do.

The potency of heals, buffs, debuffs and utilities would be linked to it. So you're affinity level would decide your Non damage spell potency.

Originally the idea was to have affinity affect all spells in the school. However I think it may be best to have damage spells on their own so newbies can level them quicker. Affinity would be a heavy skill to level to compensate for not having to level any individual buffs, heals debuffs or utilities.

There's no real good way to level these skills through normal use. There's a few ideas going around the team on this subject right now including just linking Non damage spells to the spell school level.

Good topic :)

Fengor likes this.
  18. DagothUr

Legend

there is a good way to level them, its called using them.

the only people complaining are the people who want 75 in everything instantly alpha style

Ylahoto likes this.
  19. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

You get to play more than probably anyone on the forums. If you want to play by yourself then sure, no changes should be made. However, if you want other people to play, and even casuals, more changes need to be made.

20. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Says the guy who macrod, exploited, and poop socked his way to a godly character advantage in a week

We live in the real world not some fucking utopia

If one asshole macros or exploits WE ALL HAVE TO in order to stay competitive

There for the system needs to be changed so all skills can be grinded through Normal play

You're literally the only person who doesn't understand that (or more than likely you do but probably think you maintain An advantage if it stays as is)

Population is the most important thing in this game and sometimes that means doing things that aren't always what you personally would prefer

#20 Battle Smurf, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    JasonDark, Nat and Rath TNT like this.