Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Close the continents - keep only mainland for launch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by savage, Nov 29, 2016.

1. trammiesurprise

trammiesurprise Wildtribe Mage
    Legend

Rune books and Mark/Recall/Gate would be dope as fuck.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

I don't think either of you are grasping the fact that "getting the population to fill it" has been the issue since a year into the game.

I will try to use another business perspective so hopefully it makes more sense..

Mc Donalds, Wal-Mart or any large franchise can be used as an example.

Of course the idea behind it was to have one in every city, but it doesn't start that way. They had to cater to the population that knew about their companies and was willing to support them. And from with that they could slowly grow. They focused more on the consumers that knew about them and keeping them happy while also focusing on marketing. They did not overexpand as that would cause failure. They grew to their consumer base.

This is the exact strategy all successful companies use. Gaming industry is no different. They must cater to the current population, focus more on marketing and slowly increase the size to the population

90% of my players don't play because of map size/population Which the easiest fix is map size for the current population.

#22 Franchise, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. Mc Nasty

Mc Nasty Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Omg we don't need to start adjusting map size. It's fine everyone knows where to find fights.

leth1337 likes this.
  4. savage

savage Goblin Warrior
    Hero

Yes, the whole 27 of you know where the fights are.

NonFactor, Sero, Franchise and 2 others like this.
  5. kawflin

kawflin New Member
    Legend

Problem: Map is too large for a small population leading to people feeling that the game is dead. Concern is that during launch the game will feel dead.
    Solution: Add randomly spawning teleportation spots which teleport to/from low->high population areas. This will act as a two directional gateway between source and destination. Teleportation spots should not be directly on top of population in any given square, however, within a small distance enabling others to possibly find more players. In addition, add mob hot spawns that drop better loot near these teleportation spots encouraging competition.

6. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

you have any idea how much work this needs to get this all done?

Pls give reasonalble suggestions..not this kinda shit

leth1337 likes this.
  7. onslaught

onslaught Black Knight
    Affluent Loyal Patron

Transportation needs to be faster.

Getting from point a to point b in this game eats time. More(or better) hotspots, faster travel time, game won't feel as empty.

8. Vader2103

Vader2103 Goblin Shaman

Just get rid of Niff or Ruby then add Khamsets to Cairn or some shit.
    Put portals around the world like UW did.... Not in holdings

Take away rare ore nodes in cities add a few more Golems in the world.
    Make mounts faster on roads when above 75% HP for faster traveling.

GG - PVP

#28 Vader2103, Nov 29, 2016
    Franchise likes this.
  9. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

I dont think you are getting it.

You don't make a map to fit 1k when you need 10k to survive.

You plan for success then change your plans as reality unfolds.

Green Chili likes this.
  10. Franchise

Franchise Fire Elemental
    Supporter

If you have 1k players you make the map for 1k players. Do you understand why companies have to file bankruptcy? I mean seriously do you? Your mentality is why.

Biting off more than you can chew is the #1 failure to success.

Vader2103 likes this.
  11. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

My Control Point Expansion suggestion would concentrate players in the middle without having to do anything to the map.

12. Owyn Magnus

Owyn Magnus Varangian Warthane

They will have way more than 1k players. I'm not sure you understand why companies file for bankruptcy.

Companies plan to have enough product to meet initial demand. That's a pretty basic rule. I'm sure you knew that.

13. lamigra

lamigra Akathar
    Supporter

lol @ anyone who thinks this game will gain more players after launch. Enjoy it for the couple years they keep the servers up.

14. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

And they want to remove alignment as if that is not gonna make the world feel bigger for the players who usually find a way to stay blue.

This.

Some area of the game are either totally useless or only good for one thing. Remove them. Niff is useless, ruby is only good for one thing: Khamset. So imo, we don't need those 2 area's. Let's erase more useless area in the main-land and let's even get rid of skull island or place it closer to the main-land or closer to yssam.

#34 Scrapnotcrap, Nov 29, 2016
    Vader2103 likes this.
  15. zander

zander Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

I love the large Darkfall map and would miss the subcontinents, but it is a good idea to lock them off at launch for reintroduction later.

Game will feel populated with everyone packed onto mainland and fighting over those limited holdings. Content can be built around the mainland to offer things to do. Launch will feel crowded and the game will be great because of it. Then as interest starts to drop after a few months they introduce continents again.

Then couple months in they can reintroduce the subcontinents one at a time or all at once. Before doing so they could improve the continents, modernise their looks somewhat (yssam could look more jungle-like, niff could look less awful). With subcontinents will come access to the materials specific to the islands, so new gear becomes unlocked (like cobras).

Key being though that the subcontinents can't just be lazily re-added, they need to be worked on while they are gone to offer something unique when they are reintroduced.

As an aside... i also always loved the idea of splitting mainland into 2 distinct land masses. Seemed interesting.

leth1337 and Lakisuria_Moonglade like this.
  16. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

So instead of revamping spawns and improving on stuff, the best solution is to completely remove it? Lets feed the 100 pop game dream.

17. miasMa

miasMa Varangian Warthane
    Benefactor Legend

I can't believe people think this way lol... it completely retracts from this being an MMORPG and literally turns it into an arena game. Want to prove those DND retards all we want is an arena game? Keep suggesting dumb stuff like this.

If anything the map needs to be bigger because they need to be adding onto the map when they start creating their questing system. Obviously they'll use already made areas, but they will need to create underground layers etc. in my opinion to make the most of what is already mapped out.
    --- Post updated ---
    The only reason people are even thinking this way is because Darkfall at it's core has only ever been a PvP game. You guys need to be patient and wait for BPG to start adding real content into the game so the only thing you do is not PvP related. It's either that or you do want an arena game.

#37 miasMa, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Young guns, Lord Zanuul, mrW and 4 others like this.
  18. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

wait... this isnt a CS:GO mod???

19. LisaL

LisaL Stormgraive
    Legend

Make 1 island a newbie land as suggested. That alone should be enough.

20. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

PVE content is what can potentially lead to pvp content. In other words, we need none pvp content to create pvp indirectly.

With the world being too big, there's so many area's where you can farm in peace. When ever you farm, you make more than what your siege bag is worth so it's smart to not defend yourself. With load-lag around, it's very easy to avoid any encounter when you got 20k worth of stuff on you. So it's only an option to stay and to fight on a spawn.

Yes, we should ask for more content, but i don't want ROA to end-up becoming timer-fall just like the way UW was. So the pvp has to happen naturally more often. For that to happen, the world has to be smaller or there has to be less area worth visiting to return with a fat stack.

Let's be honest tho, with the recent pve patch, we can make a fat stack everywhere we go. I don't usually reveal my spots, but this time, i don't mind since i already have a full bash of that. In a hour, you can make 100 brownie quartz so we're at a point where even brownies are worth killing.

The way it currently is, i rather farm in robe because i can cast bolts and build-up my bags. I use my pvp bags to capture VCP's and to raid.

So in the end, i can say that DF UW delivered in one thing, actually making pvp happen very often at some random spawns since the world was smaller and DF UW didn't even have a blue tail.