Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Close the continents - keep only mainland for launch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by savage, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

that isnt my quote, wrong person

2. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Get rid of Nifflheim and Rubyiate they're basically the Agon version of California and we don't need that horrible state

Move Khamsets to midmap and or Yssam

Move Ice Jarls to Dwarf lands because no one fucking cares about either of them anyway

LITERALLY you could have put up a Stephen King style Dome around Nifflheim from 2011-shut down and nobody would have noticed for at least a week

If the population rises you can have a "Big Patch Land Rush" event and add them after launch

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Vader2103 and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  3. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

Open each continent for 1 week each month, every holding is a chaos holding with bank and bindstone nothing else.

BAM

4. VVolfgang

VVolfgang Fire Elemental
    Legend

I don't think it would work out as good as you think it will. Imagine if there were 10 active people at prime time per holding on Agon. Sure it would make for some big time pvp if the population held. But under that kind of pressure something would have to give. By pressure I mean gathering resources to feed the PVP aspect...Weapons, Armor, ect. Not to mention the mats for sieges and such. I get the hardcore part of the game and I'm good with that. But it's been proven you have to ease people into that part of the game or they won't last. That's why it's up to the community to not be huge douche canoe's when it comes to new people playing the game. It's like a prostate exam, you don't want the Doctor to ram his dildo sized fingers into your arsehole, but rather be somewhat gentle and ease them in.

5. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

ill miss all islands but the guy has a point.

darkfall map was created to support 10k players online. In a real world, not a fantasy fanboy world, with some luck we prob will get 2-3k players onlines in a launch.

so, i really think a smaller map can make all aspects of darkfall work better than a huge fuck dead place.

6. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

I didn't like the thought initially but depending on how the population holds up I really think this could be an interesting way to help focus their development and consolidate the players a little bit.

If they block off the outer continents then they can focus all their worldbuilding/balancing resources on the mainland as well as restructuring and building the world as they see fit. Once everything mainland is optimized to their liking they can work on the outer-continents without having to mess with active players living on them.

Before cutting off the outer continents though I hope they really do power through and make enough changes mainland so the world doesn't lose anything from the step.

The world changes are probably going to be the most interesting/difficult part for the team. I hope they are up for it.

7. Lincoln Hawk

Lincoln Hawk Fire Elemental
    Legend

I'm with this guy.

8. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

Runebooks ..runebooks. Huge world , no problem. Travel time , no problem. Quick Fun , no problem. Meet with friends, no problem. Hitting your favorite spawns for Loot or PvE , no problem. Of course some pretty long timers could be in order for runebooks in this game , then again maybe not. But I'm sorry this game is not beautiful nor fun to travel through considering how literally everything else since 2010 passes it right up in terms of graphics + travel time mechanics.

Saving the grind to a few things is great .. gear or character grind is fine.. add travel time and you start to get bored quick in this game.
    The huge world is one of the biggest reasons I play this game.. it's beautiful in terms of creativity.. It's designed well.. but the travel time itself is disgusting. I mean really .. 30 minute runs to nearly everything unless you are bound to a city or have a hamlet close by? Ehh..

For those worried about getting raided too easily , there could be some sort of node in or around that tile that can be activated that would disallow people to rune to that tile.. clans can defend the territory as such or just make it so that runebooks cant be used to go to a tile that has a player holding/city/hamlet within it.

I don't know.. but I dont see this game hitting 3k subs.. Lets see what they do after they work out this new saving mechanic or whatever. Not sure why they spent so much time on what they already know will be very useless... Tiered mob gear.. I mean.. if it's obvious you'll need player gear .. and almost all of that mob dropped shit will be less superior .. I hope it didnt take long to code what will just be a very passing feature to only the most noobish of players or those un-clanned. Did I miss something? I hope its the foundations more useful or appealing.

The mount speeds.. on paper .. its better than the slower mounts.
    Before I see it in action .. I would estimate we'll have bluetails leading the pack and you probably wont catch them just the same as before. Or that things wont change much one way or the other if everyone has a bluetail.

However, making it so that mounts cannot sprint for X time ( if hit by an AoE or Damaged ) would make for more interesting combat mechanics in my opinion and it makes retreating much less of an option.

9. Liverbest Gibs

Liverbest Gibs Spellgazer
    Hero

With village captures, trade routes, sea towers, and sieges, there are already plenty of hot spots to find PvP. We just need a wilderness portal network, like Unholy Wars had.

If people want to farm with little risk, let them. Better to add more hot spots if we need them. XP monoliths worked fine in Unholy Wars, and I found plenty of good fights there.

We want a big map with lots of interesting things to see and do. The game will need explorer and pve'er type players to survive. This is not a CS:GO mod.

10. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

Ppl seem to forget that Unholy wars actually had fewer hotspot. 1 of them was the Shadow Knight spawn since they drop rare ingots; especially good to do in group. Based on your current prowess, your hot-spot was different. For a newb, it was very common to find a good fight at the ogre bully spawn.

since there was, but a few dungeon all worth doing, it wasn't rare at all to find a fight in those dungeons. I vote to remove the worthless dungeons from the game to let ppl concentrate on a few. ATM, ppl log-on with alts who have 100 keys and they camp on uncontested veilron/neithal chest.

Aside the combat of UW, the economy is the reason ppl stopped farming anyway. It's normal to stop when the economy is so messed-up and your bank is already full of dread armor. There also was no enchanting.

I remember ppl complaining about conversion items, but why? Those conversion items were actually the reason ppl would fight everyday at the Hobgoblin spawn which actually was an other hot-spot and it promoted ppl to be in the world, not afk harvesting with alts only.

Now finally, even making portals/house recall cost shards was supposed to generate more pvp at elementals since they were supposed to be the only ones dropping shards, but most of you guys complained about it so they reverted it. You guys wanted DF UW to become Arena in the end.

11. savage

savage Goblin Warrior
    Hero

People just wanted this shitgame UW to die altogether... There is no need for artificial hotspots when the server is populated.

This post is about mathemtics. Its about having less than 1 player per game zone, its about common sense of adding content when the population justifies it.

Some people in the early stages of denial seem to think this game will have 10k active players at launch but it wont happen. Darkfall's name has been destroyed in DF1 and raped in DF:unholy shitness. People will need to see some success before they commit.

If im wrong and the game does launch with 10k active players, then just add the islands back, its not that hard.

Franchise likes this.
  12. zander

zander Chosen of Khamset
    Legend

For starters I don't care what people on the DND forums think about me. You should grow some thicker skin if your worried about that.

Secondly locking off subconts to re-add them later would fit perfectly with the concept of an MMO. Its actually one of the most tried and true strategies for MMOs. Their reintroduction is expansion content and keeps the game fresh. Everyone gets bored of doing the mainland content, add a new continent that provides a whole new avenue of things to do.

The Darkfall map is huge; and as the game stands right now any player can be self-sufficient living anywhere on the map. This means that players will spread out across the map when they PVE and the only players who will go near "hotspots" are those seeking PVP. Locking off subconts at launch will force the server together which solves 2 major problems that game has always had:

1) The feeling the world is unpopulated

2) The economy inflates rapidly and scarcity of resources is non-existent.

If we all have to live on mainland for the first 3months then we have to fight over a small resource pool, and limited holdings. This will drive player politics, which is the major draw of Darkfall and will maintain players. It will also limit how wealthy people get and will keep the economy healthier for longer.

After 3-4months they can start to reintroduce subcontinents that have been redesigned to offer something unique. Tie rare resources to certain islands so that they all offer their own unique resources worth fighting over. If we launch with subcontinents then it is not plausible to change them drastically after launch, locking them at launch would.

tl;dr - Locking off subconts allows for fresh content to be added over course of months. Forces population together driving politics and forcing greater resource scarcity.

13. Mimitis TheOne

Mimitis TheOne Undead Dwarf

just remove the islands now, and make a dlc when actually over populated on mainland!

Vader2103 likes this.
  14. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

As much as I love the subcontinents ive been thinking about it more and I really like the idea of everyone being on the mainland. Or at least remove all the holdings from the subcontinents and put them on the mainland, then add wilderness portals from the mainland to each subcontinent. So they'll still be great for farming trips.

I really like this idea actually.

15. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

This! AV made a huge mistake shrunk the world in UW. Please BPG don't listen to these posts. Keep the world as is.

Kaurik and Owyn Magnus like this.
  16. Bloodscar

Bloodscar Cairn Giant
    Legend

Please keep the discussions about the topic in the op.

Fengor likes this.
  17. Fenrir Frauki

Fenrir Frauki Windlord
    Loyal Supporter

Close the mainland, keep only Yssam. That's more realistic for the amount of players we actually have

18. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

i dont want anything blocked off or taken away D: i love how big the world is.

If you all feel so strongly about this then group together and siege the fuck out of anyone who moves to the islands until we have a population to sustain them. Lay down the law and asset constantly. force them back to the mainland with their tails between their legs!

put some sand in the box, stop removing it.

Green Chili and Kaurik like this.
  19. aaraym

aaraym Undead Dwarf
    Legend

I have brought this idea up before as well. The mainland with the outer lands as connected with a portal system I think would be a good idea. You something like Asheron's call had and maybe even put a quest for a recall spell that allows faster access. Would make for some fun imo.

Could also make the outer islands some quests or land control point that effects mainland holdings mines.....