Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Combat Paths - A New Era of Combat

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by MWTaylor, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

Oh good, I was really worried there..

"There are plans for support style specializations as well that will support “paladin” or “monk” styles of play."
    "There will also be an assassin style of play with quiet attacks, bonus back/knife damage and a lighter armor."
    “spell sword" “armored mage” “heavy archer" “battle mage"

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. LisaL

LisaL Stormgraive
    Legend

Is this the DF:UW patch? Did u guys buy the DF:UW code?

3. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

The idea here is that we plan to allow for enough specialization that someone could create these if they chose to. There wouldn't be a "click this to be a paladin" button, but the choices you make in your selections could allow for that style of play.

4. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

At the same time you have to understand that people are going to have concerns about these changes. You cannot be dismissive of these concerns, you have to try and address them in some way.

The Red King, Bonii and Fengor like this.
  5. NumberFour

NumberFour Goblin Warrior
    Legend

But you can already do this by selecting healing spells or selecting damage spells, why restrict this by adding these new things? Why also remove buffs as that takes an entire support role out, you guys already nerfed buff others, which I thought was a huge part of being a support player in group play on this game.

6. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Of course, that's why I am encouraging people to ask questions so it's easier to address these concerns.
    --- Post updated ---
    We're not restricting your ability to cast a heal spell on someone, we're allowing players who want to play that support role to define their character more in that direction so they are more effective at their style of play.

Buffs we will be reworking. We want them to be a part of pve for sure, but their involvement in pvp has to change.

Dixie Normus, Lele and Billy Lee like this.
  7. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

If you were to go into detail as to how much more effective a player would be in any given role, that'd set a lot of minds at ease, or not... But not knowing isn't fun.
    --- Post updated ---
    Agreed.

Dixie Normus, Fengor and Sero like this.
  8. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I think buff others should be strongly considered in this perk system in regard to pvp. Healing and buffing is part of a support players regimen.

9. nerdSlayer

nerdSlayer Goblin Warlord

Why are you talking about something you clearly know nothing about?

You realize how SWG Pre-CUs combat system worked right? You realize there was a skill cap? Just like in every major PVP/PVE MMO with a "free skill" system that's classless has? Asherons Call? Shadowbane? Etc Etc. Not to mention, NGE implemented classes. These changes mentioned are not classes, they are more specializations.

For some reason, Darkfall fans (mostly the ones who follow this project), have this odd sense of delusion that it's normal that a game that calls itself an MMORPG DOESN'T have a skill cap to it. Being able to do everything, cycling nukes, playing all playstyles, and etc...is literally unheard of in an MMO.

I will be bold in saying, I don't think BPG cares about what the 20 hardcore players playing this game really think about their upcoming changes...not in the big scheme of things. Because in order for Darkfall to succeed, we need to reach a higher audience. We need to tap into the Steam market, we need to change and amend our business models.

In order to do that, and not just attract a large audience but maintain the audience we need some sort of uniformity. That doesn't mean you can't customize your character, it hardly means that. It just means, there needs to be multiple avenues and multiple playstyles supported by the game.

I understand hesitancy of class systems, especially with how DF UW at launch botched that up. But DF UW near the end, had a much fairer system. A system that once again, forced players to make decisions as to how they want to play the game. If everyone has the option to do everything, no one really has any actual options. Because there's no downside in not doing everything.

But creating playstyles like melee, magic, or archery centric ones. You provide more avenues to approach the game, as well as add more diversity as to how group fights are played. Not everyone should be able to wof, not everyone should be able to blind with the same effectiveness, and etc. CC should be unique, so should certain playstyles. That's what makes it enjoyable when a team fights another team. "Oh crap. They have a mage centric group, we shouldn't group up so closely". As an example of many possibilities.

--

I commend BPG for taking an active approach in assessing their future as a company, and more importantly. Their valiant attempt to keep their game alive, and frankly speaking Darkfall alive. I personally think New Dawn is out of touch with not just their own audience, but the MMORPG audience in general. Their outdated business strategy, next to no community interaction, and little to no activities in the world to partake in I don't see much success to come from that game.

We need to go big and go bold. That's the only way we can succeed as a community/game. And taking risks is the only way to do that at this point I think.

#189 nerdSlayer, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Dixie Normus, Owyn Magnus and Tuloth like this.
  10. GoodDoggie

GoodDoggie Earth Elemental

Not even gonna read.

Idk what makes people think "Lets change the only thing about the game that doesnt need changing instead of fixing all its actual problems"

df combat is the only positive part about df, without it df would have died completely 8 years ago.

11. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

THATS WHY IT'S STILL HERE YOU DENSE #$&*(^#@$&*#^. BECAUSE ITS NOT LIKE OTHER MMOS.

FKIN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Incanuth Archbane and SinSemilla like this.
  12. nerdSlayer

nerdSlayer Goblin Warlord

So content is the only reason Darkfall doesn't appeal to a larger audience?

When are people going to stop making THAT meme?

13. NumberFour

Legend

I can tell you after playing 10+ hours a day for the past 3 weeks, that I am already burnt out on things to do. Farmed my bank up and theres literally nothing to do. Going to do champs is impossible when you have few players actually interested in the rewards it gives for the effort put in.

Fire dragon loot is lame, so why spend 45 mins doing that.

I can literally make more gold off surging smaller spawns than I can farming harder mobs that take groups to kill. Its utter ridiculous that its basically log on for siege or duels and then log off.

Make some new content. More Sea Towers, More Harder PvE boss spawns that are worth fighting over, stuff like this would improve the game a lot more than making it GrindFall/RepeatFall

Ikaika Koa likes this.
  14. negocromn

negocromn Black Knight
    Legend

read the OP again, can't find what's so absurd in it to have so many people losing their shit, it sounds like what we have right now but with more destroyerish specs in the mix

I mean, a lot of bad shit can happen still, the game could be fucked by this and so on, but it's not like it's some nonsense idea or something that is not needed

Dixie Normus likes this.
  15. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Oh boy. Fire Dragon is 30 mins max my friend.

REIGN has none of your issues. WE LOOOOOOVE our champions :D

Infact 120 in every stat is the last bastion of grind left. It's awesome. Barely affects PVP, yet still relevant for convinience sake.

The Red King likes this.
  16. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

enjoyed reading this thanks

Altho you have been warned by several people in the past about making SMALL changes to the combat instead of complete overhaul the entire system.

I would rather make small changes first. on the other hand i understand these changes aswell

17. NumberFour

Legend

Fire Dragon may not be an issue for players who have developed characters, my friends and I tried with the 3 of us and it took 45 mins and was awful. Chalk it up to being a newb, but in all seriousness theres not much to do in this game unless a siege is going on or group duels.

Fengor and Sero like this.
  18. Kharont

Kharont New Member

So three years of people asking for the return of DFO not taught you anything?. .

19. Copperfield

Copperfield Black Knight
    Legend

The thing is with your response to having a choice to be effected in, for example, a support role.

The way darkfall is now.. you have this choice already during combat.. 4vs4 will always have 2 guys in the back or 2 guys in front.

What i mean is that you cant force people into playing a support role by picking up perks. this is not a mmorpg this is a MMOFPS.. get that shit into your brain.

If you wanne play a support role in a siege for example.. you can in the current dfo.

now with the proposed changes 1 guy will heal better then other one and the other guy will do more dmg then him.. this is a class system

Sandbox : TOOLS given by developers to do whatever de fck you wanne do.

20. game_dead

game_dead New Member

just do it. The game needs changes like this to appeal to a broader audiences. Don't let these same 10 elitiests dictate how your game should be like.

Dixie Normus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.