Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Combat Paths - A New Era of Combat

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by MWTaylor, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

This is simply not true. The fact that you think it's true is what really scares the fuck out of us.

I'll elaborate with a wall of text soon.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. SinSemilla

SinSemilla Air Elemental
    Loyal Tester

I will pay 10k for a copy of the game as is. No joke PM me if you have it I will do up a contract, have my lawyers figure it out and get you your cash.

3. Darktide

Darktide Fire Elemental

People are scared of changes, they start to get PTSD flashbacks from AV days lol

I'm not worried and i have confidence in this team to take the game in the right direction, to test things properly and get community feedback.
    This is an awesome game and is getting much better with each update, i have no reason to lose faith in BPG after the work they've done already and proved themselves.

This game does need changes like this tho to appeal to a wider audience and still keep hardcore veterans interested. Changes like this are the only way this game would survive on something like Steam.

One thing i will say to fellow players (Don't be lazy) when the PTS goes up with these changes make sure you actually test them and report on Bugs/Suggestions and give constructive feedback.

Thanks BPG for taking the hard road, i know how stressed you must be even thinking about taking on such a massive task.

Dixie Normus, NonFactor and Billy Lee like this.
  4. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

This doesn't matter at all. You're focusing on the wrong thing. Global CDs don't matter at all when it comes to retaining the current combat.

Sero likes this.
  5. Borracha (Glandurim)

This looks very promising, I can not wait to test!

NonFactor and Billy Lee like this.
  6. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Side note, I want compensation for leveling all of my fucking buffs, wtf

KrailUkriek and phuture like this.
  7. kinglear

kinglear Black Knight

Hey man, I have a LOT of respect for 99% of what you say, but you just posted the 1%. Not a single BPG member has a fraction of a clue of what pvp is really like in its current state, and you guys should not try to defend stage 2 in its current state. You think you'll have variation, but in reality you'll have whats the best and what sucks, just like you have now.

KrailUkriek likes this.
  8. Edward Owen

Edward Owen Goblin Warrior
    Lifetime

Yes! Really like all the ideas. I've always wanted to play pure archer. Pretty excited to see how this all pans out. Also, really like the reagent changes.

Dixie Normus and Billy Lee like this.
  9. Inkarnation

Inkarnation Frostjarl
    Legend

Tying Staff Magnitude to Secondary Effects

if you do this, please dont tie it to encumbrance, only just STAFF damage, and even then its still kinda lame

go play new dawn and tell me how fun you think that change is
    wof is useless unless you have a robe on and a r80 slow staff

imagine being a melee archer in heavy gear, you wanna roleplay with ladders to get over walls?

#89 Inkarnation, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  10. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

I like the minor changes made to buff and nerd things. Like pungent mist and eye rot, balancing them made sense to me.

This makes no sense to me at this point in time. There is just so much content that needs to be added to this game, that completely redesigning combat at this point makes zero sense.

Keep up the minor combat changes. Add content.

Come back to this in a couple years.

11. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

You know me better than to think that's all I'm seeing it focused on, but saying they don't matter (hello rays?) at ALL is actually just wrong.

Unless you just want to cast the same ray everytime....

12. SinSemilla

SinSemilla Air Elemental
    Loyal Tester

I started a big personal post and stopped because at this point with a few reply's from employees I am at a loss for words, and am not joking fixing my Ultima Online Forever binds lol.

I do not think ONE of the developers are actually playing the game 'PVPing' for more than five minutes a day.

Bonii and Hook like this.
  13. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Even rays, it doesn't really matter. If damage is normalized like they're proposing, then choosing one ray and shooting that with the same global CD as now doesn't change anything.

Normalizing damage doesn't matter, because TTK is being lowered.

The PROBLEMS start at Stage 2.

Hombre 6, Fengor, Hook and 2 others like this.
  14. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

hey let's change the only thing that is decent about the game

15. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

It's been said before but all you gotta do is add more game before you change it.

16. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Community Manager
    Staff Member BPG Representative Game Designer

The fact that you have to elaborate in a wall a text why there is a lot of diversity is probably a good reason why most of our new players provide feedback about a "lack of playstyle options and diversity". With more specializations to choose from and an intuitive UI to utilize, we plan to change that.

We understand the concerns people have here which is why we opened up this discussion in the first place. "Stage 2" is an expansion of the specializations which is what we have had on our road map since we first put it up there. The "Combat Paths" are merely our way of organizing them in an intuitive fashion for new players and a way to provide balance when choosing which specializations to use.

Bartlebe and Billy Lee like this.
  17. Sintan

Sintan Black Knight
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

None of you (BPG collectively) understand this game (RoA in its current state) on a level that would be needed to balance any form of combat change. None.

Hook likes this.
  18. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

When you start stacking bonuses ontop of each other major balance issues start occuring. For instance, why is bonus health pool a thing for melee users? Unholy wars did this, remember what happend? Warriorfall.

Complex systems are always a nightmare for balance. They can be fun sure, but it just ends up being a FOTM meta system that everyone follows or extremely overpowered builds, take a look at PoE. They have the most intricate specialization systems i've ever seen, and it's RACKED with overpowered broken meta builds, which is fine for a PVE economy game, but when it comes to PVP full loot and conquest games, you cant have that and maintain a healthy population, there will be way too much salt.

The only reason for any sort of school specializations within this FPS MMORPG should be MAINLY for the sake of looks and RP factor, everything else is already capable in game. You want to be a fire mage? Robe up and use only fire magic, nothing is stopping you, EXCEPT FOR IMBALANCE.

#98 Sero, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Not_Primetime likes this.
  19. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

The wall of text will be about how there can be diversity without destroying the current combat.

Todd of Hartford, Myater and Fengor like this.
  20. kinglear

kinglear Black Knight

The fact that you would disregard any sort of input from one of the players THAT ACTIVELY PLAYS YOUR GAME AND UNDERSTANDS YOUR GAME without even beginning to see that input proves just how hard headed and flawed your logic is. BPG is in the wrong on this, your instant 80+ negative responses proving you wrong over and over have proven that, if you implement these changes you will be out of a job, and when other gaming companies look at your posts you will NOT get hired when they see posts like these.

Be a good community manager, listen to the community and stop defending these god awful stage 2 changes

Bonii and Sintan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.