Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Combat Paths - A New Era of Combat

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by MWTaylor, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Darkfall in its current form was never going to attract a big enough population and part of that has to do with combat and the LACK of RPG in MMORPG

NOT ATM, AND THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT

Not enough people LIKE the game the way it is atm and these changes would bring people back and appeal much more to new mmorpg players

How autistic do you have to be to think calling people who LIKE these new changes out for NOT CURRENTLY logging in and playing is a point in YOUR FAVOR?

Maybe 100 of you love playing the exact same meta for 10 years with the same tiny incestuous population of autists that can tolerate it, but for ME that's no longer good enough.

Even if I personally didn't like every change i would support it because I know the game needs to have wider appeal to survive and be WORTH me logging back into

Population > Maintaining my pvp advantage from solving the meta years ago

And I know two things

I. These changes will appeal to a broader audience

and

2. The few here throwing bitchfits over it aren't going anywhere, especially if they see a population uptick

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. SinSemilla

SinSemilla Air Elemental
    Loyal Tester

You literally can be everything currently. Every selection you mentioned can be played currently.

Sometimes I play full support wear light gear and sit back healing, other times I go full mage dps, sometimes I go heavy mage.

I am a MAJOR stoner but, am I wrong saying that Destroyer is the only class in RoA? They're extremely deadly to add.

Since I started with RoA, the community has been crying for content to keep people active. You had a good thing with champions but, they need tweaking. Villages are close, just change the billboards and spawn point when going through. Tweak npc ai some.

Jeez I am babling on here about something that obviously we have no control over.

Bring on your changes and we'll see if we have an AV 2.0 or what I hope will be something close to what we have and more.
    --- Post updated ---
    Sadly no other game like it so they got us by the tits and balls no matter what ;)

Hook, Korag and Isaac Clarke like this.
  3. Korag

Korag Evil Eye
    Hero

these are not even remotely close to ND ideas, first of all your not locked into anything. Least not yet The game clearly needs direction and change right? I mean do you see thousands of people logging in to play? Game is dying as it is this will help or it wont but least they are doing shit stead of sitting around bitching and crying all the time
    --- Post updated ---
    no combat is not fine if it was fine a lot more fucking people would be doing it

4. lamigra

lamigra Windlord
    Supporter

I love the rage, great read here.

Just buy UW, you'll have a head start on the balancing nightmare.

Bonii and Sero like this.
  5. AbbaSalama

AbbaSalama Goblin Warrior
    Legend

i cant wait for this patch to come out!

so i can finally quit darkfall and do something with my life :)

The Red King, Bonii, Hook and 5 others like this.
  6. Myater

Myater Cairn Giant
    Hero

"We really listen to the community" 90% of the people in this thread have called out these ideas as bad in some way or another... argues that it'll be ok... great listening skills!

7. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

I don't think we need stage 2 of the plan, The stage one would be a start to changing things up and let us test them for months please.

The Red King and Fengor like this.
  8. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

With regard to the cannibilization of greater magic. May I suggest we just keep it open to everyone with 0 reagent cost. Moving the spells to other schools would remove the basic movement spells, heal other as well as unburden from melee archery focused paths potentially. These are essential for everyone to have.

The Red King and Fengor like this.
  9. Todd

Todd New Member
    Supporter

As a new player to roa, noob of dfo. Can anyone tell me if grinding is pointless as of now? With magic schools being merged am I starting at 0 after the changes or will exp be transferred?

From my two cents ammo types are unnecessary if more archery abilities are added. I like being able to slap gear sets together and go PLAY rather than work with my available screen time. A larger grind for a slight advantage on bow shots seems just as necessary as potions to be competitive.

I dont believe all spells should be equalized. As posted above, your just changing the color at that point. For diversity why cant we have fire be more towards dots and nukes, water be more for slow effects, just some general flavor per school.

For the slow/fast staves, please dont allow the swapping of staves to nullify that bit. Its just going to force us all to carry two staves. Further gear grind for nothing, just to deal with whats been put on our plate.

Cant stop edits. If greaters merged and swapped to 0 reg cost, what keeps naked dawnstaff from begone. Even something as simple as that should COST something. Runnings free. Why would bunnyhopping be free to? Why run at that point. (Terrain allowing ofc)

Anxious to see everything pan out.

#149 Todd, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  10. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

No it is not. Grind away.

Fengor likes this.
  11. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

It's difficult to articulate exactly what is going through our minds when creating threads like this. All I can say after reading through everything is that a vast majority of the speculation is wrong. If you have concerns it's far more beneficial to ask questions so I can attempt to answer them rather than speculating and screaming doomsday for 9 pages :)

12. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

Did you play unholy wars?

Who in the team is knowledgeable in darkfall combat and balancing?

Who came up with this combat system?

Can you give more detailed examples of the specializations, choices and penalties you plan on introducing?

Do you plan to get this ( https://forums.riseofagon.com/threads/list-of-things-needed-to-be-done-before-combat-changes.16811/ ) list done before you implement combat changes to the live server?

Do you think that it will be a net positive if this combat system blows chunks but attracts some new blood but loses all the old?

#152 Grimtide, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Bonii, Fengor and Sintan like this.
  13. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Sure, what are we looking at number wise in ability/stats/protections for a full melee specialization.

14. Mo Fugga

Mo Fugga Dire Zombie
    Patron Legend

This much has been confirmed.

Let's hope that we can all calm our titties and talk about this in a logical fashion before we resort to drastic measures.

15. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

1. Not long, I didn't find it appealing.
    2. I'm director of design so you can just blame me for everything. (The idea in general was probably mine anyway)
    3. More details will emerge as we move forward with it. The primary reason for posting this discussion was a heads up and discussion/testing of the changes coming in phase 1. We could have left phase 2 completely out of this discussion, but felt it would serve better as a reasoning behind some of the changes being implemented now.
    4. We have plans for many of those things and some are currently being worked on. Will they get done before combat? No, not all of them.

16. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

You familiar with Star wars galaxies NGE patch that killed the game?.. ALL of this all together is exactly that..

Little changes here and there that tweak this and that is fine..... Huge sweeping changes that change everything is not..

Go with one thing at a time.. Archery changes.. see how it changes the game.. see how many different playstyles emerge from those changes.. YOU CANT PREDICT ANYTHING and you're "VISION" of what you think your combat changes will do for combat paths will be drastically different than from what you expected it to be..

All im saying is tread fucking lightly..

17. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

Nothing like nge, this is. Yeesssssss.

18. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

1. You know this system sounds just like unholy wars mixed with new dawn? If you had played longer, you might not think so highly of this system your e developing. The failures of unholy wars was its combat and the reason this project even got off the ground with all of our legend packages.
    2. Blame does nothing, how about instead, listen to long term players who point out issues instead of cherry picking responses that positively affirm what you believe, especially when they come from people who have no deep understanding of the current and past metas of darkfall.
    3. I look forward to more details, with some ambivalence.
    4. Which ones are priority?

Hook likes this.
  19. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

1. It may sound like it, but it's not like it. You'll have to wait and see I guess.
    2. If I don't do something just like you think I should you think I'm doing it wrong. That is not how things should be done.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  20. Rhulvir

Rhulvir Goblin Shaman

I feel like people with over 4000 forum posts should get a time out so we can actually discuss ideas here. They've already made it perfectly clear that they're not going anywhere. XD

Relevant: Can we consider a spec for one-hand weapons? Maybe one that prevents the useage of 2handers and magic when selected, but decreases the duration of disabling blow on the user? I'd like to say removes it outright, but that would promote turtling too much. Honestly, i kinda wish disabling blow only popped if the target was actually blocking.

One handers are never used for anything other than blocking or the occaisional axe power attack. I'd love to see more of them out in the world as viable weapons, even if i'm not partial to using them myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.