Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Combat Poll 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kilrain, Jun 5, 2018.

?

How should we proceed?

1. Stick with current plan - Remove specs, increase cobra (on PTS now)

31 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Just reduce heavy armor protections.

11 vote(s)
    10.1%
  3. Push all the changes to PTS and finish it

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. Revert what is possible and finish the remaining changes on PTS

48 vote(s)
    44.0%
  5. Other: Explain in the comments

11 vote(s)
    10.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimtide

Grimtide Evil Eye
    Legend

You're in the deep end of the pool now. Do you dive to the bottom and find the balance and learn to hold your breath or do you get out of the pool, grab a towel, and think about it, before you drown?

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. franchisee

franchisee Wildtribe Mage

Great analogy

Bonii and Myater like this.
  3. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I think at this point we need to start over. The package of changes needs to be much more polished and complete before moving forward. Right now its pretty bad as reflected in the sharp decline of active players.

4. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

I rather have this too, but again, we need tailoring mastery first i guess.

5. Kras Treetall

Kras Treetall Akathar
    Affluent Loyal Legend

Yes, lets be honest here. I have never dueled you or fought you once that I know of. I have never even been destroyer since this game launched. And you are the same guy that said I am not even Kras Treetall. You really should breath thru your nose a while because you lose credibility every time you open your mouth. Oh,,,,, of course,,,,, I am not trying to be mean or anything.
    --- Post updated ---

#25 Kras Treetall, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  6. Todd of Hartford

Todd of Hartford Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Pretty quick fix for this could be implementing a "tiered" bone armor system for tailoring mastery, like maybe where you have to use certain metal ingots or enchanting materials to make one type of bone set over another. Perhaps use dragon bone and fire essences for a fire protection bonus (separate from rings) or metal ingots (like selentine or something) for increased melee protections. You could do this by just changing the color of the different types of bone armors, which can also go up in tier like regular heavy armor (selentine for base tailoring mastery, theryil for 80 or whatever the current mastery needs to be to craft dragon) until new models can be added in the future. Or some variation of this. I dunno, just a thought.

Right now a person in heavy armor can fuck up again and again and still be okay, which is fine because of the cost of a full infernal or dragon bag. A mage, however, even with a 50k bag (or more, if q4 infernal helm/gloves/boots + q4 melee and q4 staff) will die if they fuck up even once. Bone armor protections ARE NOT ENOUGH. I'm only asking for a mage to be able to fuck up two or three times and not get railed in the ass by a dude in heavy armor
    --- Post updated ---
    Pretty much this. I don't know if champion spawns are even killable right now.

quietnoobz, Kanak and Battle Smurf like this.
  7. ezekiul

ezekiul New Member

I agree, full plate didn't provide enough defensive bonus for what you lost in encumbrance pre patch. Infernal and dragon are a bit too strong defense wise, but it also encourages people to wear/bring higher tier gear which is nice.

Tweak the protections and encumbrance down a little bit.

8. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Continue current plan but add advanced tier bone armor that gives +spell magnitude +mana regen to counter balance highest tier metal armors increased protections

Johhny Mad Dog and quietnoobz like this.
  9. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

How much dev time was spent on this? And now we are at what point, possibly the game is as balanced as it was a month ago? Who could have possibly predicted this boondoggle of an adventure, when it was obvious as soon as this was suggested that this would happen.

I wish the devs had read this months ago : https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

It's about coding, but I think it fits perfectly with whats happening with the combat system in darkfall. As it seems the head designer is also the head programmer, it to me makes perfect sense as to what is going on here.

10. quietnoobz

quietnoobz Chosen of Khamset

I don't think y'all understand they can't just add new armor tiers with new colors. It's just gonna have to be upped bone defense and nerfed infernal defense. Upped cobra damage and speed. Keep sara way it is, if you nerf it, then you gotta nerf bone staff and staff of life as well.

11. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

sure we can.

Todd of Hartford, Nat, koruun and 7 others like this.
  12. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

upload_2018-6-5_18-52-26.png

Attached Files:

13. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

I play plenty and for a very long time I played way more than you. Recently I’ve only been able to get on for a couple hours about 3 times a week.

This attitude you have that people are less than you because you may be better at a video game is laughable at best. You like to effect this persona that you are amazing and you shit flowers and your a mega millionaire who travels the world sampling exotic women and breaking their hearts.

It’s pretty weak bud. Just stop it’s honestly cringy and embarrassing.

You are good at darkfall. Wooo. Alert the presses.

You and your circle are very entitled. Only your opinion matters because you are the top 1% of pvp right?

Where did the other 99% go I wonder.

Slayven, Nat, MaxiHori and 2 others like this.
  14. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I would rather have the opinions of experts in any given field than mediocre or less people.

Basically when it comes down to is that not all feedback is equal on any given subject. I value the opinions of high level players (even the dumb ones) more than anyone else even if they are counter or disagree with my own opinion in matters of PvP. This is because by playing at that high level they have not just claimed higher level understanding of the game, but actually demonstrated higher than average understanding of the game in practice. Do I value those opinions as much on other subjects? Hell no. I then go to who are the demonstrated experts of that field and see what they have to say. You don't ask me what would be easy to add to the game for example, you ask Kilrain or Neilk.

While its true not only top 1% should matter, they should carry far more weight in the appropriate matters than your average person.
    Not trying to be a dick, its just the truth of any subject really.

15. Dixie Normus

Legend

but most of you are trying to design a game with large barriers to entry (new players literally need to duel for months and months with the old system just to even have a sporting chance) and have an enormously high skill ceiling AND floor.

this does not promote population in fact its quite to opposite. Making combat so its EASY to pick up and there are multiple avenues to victory instead of one specific playstyle that if you do not use you are gimped DOES promote population.

im not saying make things stupid easy and it should always take time and practice to refine your skills/playstyle however it shouldnt be a second job where you literally have to do it for hours and hours days and weeks on months to figure it out.

I do like alot of your suggestions, and many others here for example i like alot of inositols ideas and seros as well.

what would be so bad however, if a person could be viable with just one spell school? If a person didnt have to know how to play his keyboard like a concert pianist to be able to function properly in the game. The new gui alleviated alot of that but thats OUR opinions as people who have played darkfall forever. New players will still say wtf @ all these binds.

This game is not an esport like alot of the players seem to think it is. I appreciate your cordial reply and look forward to more of your suggestions.

Contrary to popular opinion due to opinion about my clan and some of my ideas, I am not a carebear. I will fight you over and over even if i lose everytime and lose my gear every time.

I've tilted at windmills all my life, and will never stop doing so.

Slayven and MaxiHori like this.
  16. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

You are so biased it's rediculous

The 1% don't pay the bills nor do they populate the game

Wes Furtive and Dixie Normus like this.
  17. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

Just because someone is good at the game doesn't mean they understand it enough to balance it. Most of "pvp skill" in darkfall is muscle memory and twitch aiming, I don't think that correlates to understanding how to balance pvp so that it is fair and fun.

And just because someone is bad at pvp, that doesn't mean their ideas for balance are terrible because of that. Take for example dixie normus, his ideas aren't bad because he is bad at pvp, his ideas are bad because they are terrible ideas.

Slayven and Nat like this.
  18. Not_Primetime

Not_Primetime Infernal
    Wealthy Legend

Explanation:
    Doesn't matter anymore! You are asking an ever shrinking player base that only cares about their epeen how the game should be to attract new players. Say that sentence out loud at least 3 times and let it sink in how stupid it sounds. All these guys want to do is keep the status quo. If this game is going to attract enough players to sustain development for years to come you need to stop pandering to the last rats that haven't left the ship, who thinks their opinion matters more because the rest of us are in their words "shit tier". Read Scrubby Bear's post! Look at all the videos they post it's the same boring ass shit over and over. Watching these videos is so boring you can literally recite the next sequence of spells like a boring movie script. Nobody wants to play this game in the current form and that includes the previous "awesome combat". The gaming community has voted with there money and another version of Darkfall is not getting any votes. MMO industry revenues were $26 Billion world wide in 2016 lol $26 billion.

Slayven and Dixie Normus like this.
  19. Dixie Normus

Legend

I might have terrible ideas.

Know what else I don’t have? A history of cheating and being banned.

Boy you just got me on all fronts huh?

20. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I have zero twitch aim or muscle memory.

Slayven and Fengor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.