Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Dev thread Coming patches and the path forward.

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by kilrain, Aug 18, 2019.

1. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

its a nice wall of text but... i dont see any ez content been added

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    CaptainAmerica and MaxiHori like this.
  2. VoQeles

VoQeles Goblin Scout

There's no magic recipe that makes a game successful, however there are some simple things that are true for games that are.

Constant improvement that make the game more enjoyable and up to date.
    Big updates that bring new interest.
    Consistency, to the degree that people know what to expect and when. "When to be there" so to speak.

This is more directed at some of the comments than the OP, games need a balance of big updates and small updates at regular timings. This is a very important point of consistency for those who care to see what I'm talking about here's a link to a GDC presentation from PoE devs and what they learned from Kripparians advice on consistency:

So, yes certainly it's important to have big updates, and small updates, there can't be just one or the other. And more so players must know when to be there! If patches drop unpredictably then activity cannot be expected and patches won't deliver to their fullest potential.

3. Quin Tessence

Quin Tessence Black Knight
    Legend

Yikes, when was the last time you took a freaking break @kilrain

Seriously do you even know what the word '"goal" means?
    Its like "A goal is an idea of the future or desired result that a person or a group of people envisions"

So basically your "goal" is to Add a shit load of things to the game.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Oh wait!

My bad, your goal is to prevent RoA from going under.
    Well that is not really a Developers job, but hell if you pull together with everyone I could honestly see myself coming back to this game when it makes a couple changes.

1. MMORPG = Needs to feel massive and needs to feel like everyone is playing a roll
    2. Sandbox = Need to improve the existing toys, more destruction, more viable tactics for combat, less dependency on builders
    3. Better PvE experience (mob assist targeting, PvE Levels, Loot assist, Spawn Controls, Daily Tasks, Real Lore, and smart Loot drops.

4. Raap

Raap Gravelord

I imagine most people here know that small and big updates are both important. Let me clarify why I personally think BPG should have put their eggs in one single "expansion" bucket, after it became clear that earlier this year following the "freemium" release that BPG was unable to add content and fixes to the game at the pace it needed it at the time; Budget.

Right now BPG has split their already small team up into two parts, one for what was previously the expansion, and one for short term goals (which ended up mostly just taking 7 months to deliver a portion of what was supposed to be delivered as a bigger update).

By now it should have been evident that this does not work for BPG or the game. It's not causing players to come play the game and it's not really helping retain those that are playing. This is again why I, personally, would have written the current version off as end-of-life, and put everyone on the staff list to work towards a major, hype-able, "RoA 2.0"-styled expansion, following after which I'd have assigned staff to work on continued and consistent bi-monthly updates to both retain the expansion-joining players and to build upon that.

Of course this would go with the assumption the "2.0 expansion" is actually good and players enjoyed it more than the original game, but let's not go down that "what if" hole.

5. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

@kilrain

I don't like your definition of a survival game. A survival game doesn't even have to be online to be one. Skyrim with several mods can be turned into a survival game. With some mods, you must eat, drink, sleep and you must protect yourself from the cold with wears and camps that you can build-up. Your stats varies based on your current state of basic needs and you can die if you don't attend to your needs.

DF is not a survival game because it doesn't have none of that. You can eat, but that's strictly to boost your vital stat regen.

I don't see how you can get this part wrong.

The ability to make your own ruleset or to switch server doesn't turn a game into a survival game at all. It can't be a survival server if you don't have to eat, drink, sleep or to cover yourself to survive.

I don't see how anyone can get this wrong and i have never ever tried a typical survival game. I just mod my games to turn them into one(skyrim, fallout nv, fallout 4).
    --- Post updated ---
    What about the polls?

I'm not totally against combat changes. DF could have been good without destroyer, but they got added and the game got better. Some changes are just not the best and we voiced our opinions on what we don't like for nothing at all...

6. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

Yes, while the "survival" aspect of the game is the biggest difference in actual gameplay it's the aspects I mentioned that make it more tolerable for the vast majority of players. The fact that there are fewer people per server, many servers, and many different rule sets allows players to find or create a version that fits their preference. If Rust had one server, one rule set, and MMO type persistence then there would be a drastic difference in the number of players. This is why we cannot compare RoA to a survival game because they have very different expectations.

7. Void

Void Chosen of Khamset
    Loyal Legend

Toast

Kol Taggar likes this.
  8. Azdul

Azdul New Member
    Supporter

The best feature of clan warfare are the sieges, but they do not happen often enough to keep people playing and the stakes are too high for most clans to throw a siege just to stir up shit and have fun.

On the other side there are villages, but the stakes are not high enough - there are no long-lasting consequences on the world, and rewards are impossible to balance - one guy can always cap remote village in off-hours.

We need something in-between, with real consequences on the world - but at the same time easy accessible for anyone who just logs in for few hours. IMO it is really hard to achieve without factions.

CaptainAmerica likes this.
  9. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Air Elemental
    Loyal Legend

I feel like all of our suggestions have been ignored. Please see #feedback in the RoA discord.

People in RoA just need something to do. Please for the love of god give the players something to do. We don't need more of a grind unless that grind is part of actual content that will be entertaining and competitive.

The players need objectives to fight for on a daily/weekly basis that actually do something other than pad their banks.

10. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

THIS, but u know....they dont do what the costumers wants... they do what they want...

#30 BeatIt, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    The Red King likes this.
  11. ThiefGarrett

ThiefGarrett Wildtribe Mage

They literally just posted content they’re putting in.

12. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

fixed it for you ;).

Most of our decisions are based around player feedback combined with development time, impact, technical limitations, etc. I know it's frustrating to want "x" in and not getting it but we're working towards some really great stuff. With upgrades to tool chain and back end modernisation, of which Arpad was instrumental, we are now able to effectively add new content. Previously it required a heavy programmer involvement and a ton of fiddling just to get a single asset in and looking right. With these limitations lifted we can get in content easily.

As easy as it is to think of content and ideas that seem "simple" to do... There's only basic content creation systems that we've had so we always have to make new systems for many features. As we roll out these systems more and more we'll be able to keep adding to them over time.

Anyways, all that to say that we're moving into the 3rd phase of our project now where we can focus more on adding new content and systems so we'll be having more coming out over the next few months. There's also a lot of major changes aimed at new players and PvE focused players as well. PvPers will get new TCS system, factions and arena plus new PvE to encourage open world. Next few months will be interesting :)

Geezy and Billy Lee like this.
  13. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

k, how is it going for u atm.. dont want to be rude.. but....seems like u listen to the wrong people

anyway.. lets keep waiting :beercheers:

#33 BeatIt, Aug 19, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    The Red King likes this.
  14. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

TCS is suppose to fix this.

15. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Infernal
    Supporter

Is embers of war going to be completed with the 40k that was already donated?

Sique and Auron like this.
  16. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Spellgazer
    Legend

I really want to believe you.... its tough though

The Red King and Auron like this.
  17. Chantree

Chantree Dire Zombie
    Wealthy Legend

I will be here until the end ....

But ill believe this when I see it.

The Red King and Auron like this.
  18. Auron

Auron Celestial
    Hero

Many players don't support this progect because you doing big change whitout make polls guys.....
    Make polls
    Make trailers after big patch

The Red King and Scrapnotcrap like this.
  19. Methodico

Methodico Stormgraive

With TCS there Will be free housing or something similar? Thanks

20. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

The reason racial warfare never worked is it was never enforced. Period.

The lore is all there. Why bother making a whole new faction system when you already have one?

Enforce the damn original planned rule set.

If dwarf player a cannot play with his friend orc player b , then so fucking be it. I don’t know if very many games where dwarves and orcs are buddies.

ARAC clans should have been shunned and outlawed from all “civilized” cities. It should have been very hard for them to survive and only for the top 1% to be able to pull off.

Same race murder should have also been severely punished as well as highly limited fast travel into or out of enemy controlled territory. Also make “controlled territory” something the races can fight over.

Dwarf main lands are always going to be theirs but they could maybe expand their kingdom with taking over holdings so they could move their area closer to neargur for instance by capturing “holdings or control points”

If you are adding arenas make them like Bg’s from other games.

Fun for everyone not just the 1v1 2v2 crowd.

You say you are going to make the game appeal to the masses and stop pandering to the top 5% but It isn’t reflecting in your plans.

Edit: people played Alfar in df specifically because they were at war with all other races. There was racial identity, your racial lands MEANT something. Hell your starter city MEANT something. You KNEW who was from akathos or deep yishku

Thrill Kill likes this.