Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Dev thread Coming patches and the path forward.

Discussion in 'Design Discussions' started by kilrain, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Words are wind. Air without substance. We've been here before so excuse the cynicism.

Sique, The Red King and MaxiHori like this.
  2. MEATGRIND

MEATGRIND Goblin Warrior

Will we see any content updates soon? im bored

The Red King likes this.
  3. Andrew

Andrew Obsidian Golem
    Staff Member BPG Representative

Dyes are going through the final stages of development and QA. The interface to apply them is in, initial armour models have had layers added for primary/secondary areas to dye and TJ/Arpad have been working on final touches to shaders and colours to get them looking pretty sweet. We have some more work to do for adding the final colours to various mobs but I just finished defining the various regions in a new regional loot system we're adding for where they will spawn.

Just tidy up stuff mostly it's very close. The next few PvE patches are finished up in design and ready to take spotlight once dyes are in final QA. TJ is planning to put a thread out later this week with details on the dye system as well as some screenshots of tests.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

I'm not going to make an other thread on combat revert because it's not necessary. I just wanted us to test one thing on the pts just to see how much better it felt in the past and that's it. We never tested the following i think
    • Keep 20% reduction in delay between casting? This allows spells to be cast faster after another just finished.
    Old casting delay is the heart of the whole combat revert.

Now i know, 60%+ members voted to keep that, but i wanted to test it. It's no surprise that more ppl voted on that. It was that fast on DnD and ppl loved it except me. Obviously, everyone from dnd voted for that on the poll.

It leaves less room for you to read your opponent and to counter/defend when his actions are in motion. It promotes spamming and being godly with your aim. It may promote third party programs like AHK, but i heard that will someday become illegal to use after further gui patches (said by kilrain).

My aim can improve and i can win a lot if i put myself into it, but spamming as much successful spells becomes the only best playstyle. Transferring too much and not spamming is no longer considered good when you go against good players.

You devs don't know how much higher the skill ceiling is because of that alone. Faster gameplay means harder game. Simple as that. As a result, you got less players left playing too. High skill ceiling games easily die with closed online servers. such as this game.

5. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

There wasn't a faction system. Period. Just because you were allowed to kill the "enemy" faction does not mean it was a faction system. That was literally the only component. That means that in order to have an actual faction system the entire thing needs to be built anyway, so we're going to do it in a way that makes it optional and still functions with the rest of the game. If we did it your way then the rest of the game would have to change in order to work with it. Since factions weren't already in and already a key component that means the rest of the systems are more mature and better for extending and factions will need to adapt to fit in with the rest of it. The only way a forced racial faction game could work is if the entire game was built around it from the beginning.

Sero and The Red King like this.
  6. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

Revamped factions is the way to go. Pve players need a place, traders need a place and pvp players need a place. Opt in will satisfy all if done properly like UO

7. rats

rats Goblin Warrior

I like almost everything that has been added to the game i know u guys are doing good work and you have a small staff etc so I understand why but the long wait between patches is a game killer.

The Red King, Methodico and Saeora like this.
  8. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Varangian Warthane
    Team B Lifetime

I think factions will wind up being a lot of fun, can't wait.

9. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

So let me get this straight. You are saying that darkfall wasn’t originally planned around the racial factions?

Ok.

The entire problem is the alignment system never meant a goddamn thing.

Once you got what you needed from cap cities it didn’t matter anymore if you were red to your own race as everything you needed came from player owned holdings and your own clan.

You guys win. I literally give up. I wish you the best of luck, but this clearly isn’t the game for me anymore. Hasn’t been for a long time.

Fundamental game breaking issues?

Let’s add dyes and dresses. That’ll keep them busy.

10. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Hero

I thought about it and i have to say this. I will keep it short.

@kilrain

You decided to tell us what DF is not, but DF can been all of that and it has been most of it at some extent.

DF is not a battle royal. Yet, we have made battle royal events and GM'S have been supporting those events with rule sets to prevent harassment.
    So while DF is not a battle royal, BPG entertains the idea.

Saying what DF is not is probably the worse thing that you can do to push back potential fans.

We can easily have battle royal timed events, arena time events and at any time, you can turn the game into a survival game. DF can be anything.

What type of dev makes a sandbox and tells us what DF is not?

We used to be proud to say that DF was not for everyone. I rather keep it at that.

#50 Scrapnotcrap, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Methodico likes this.
  11. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

No, I'm saying what matters is what was built and what makes the most sense to expand on. Racial warfare restricts players and their friends to specific races, which if we were creating a new game based completely on faction wars, meaning clans do not mix, then it would be perfectly fine to do so. That's not how the game was built, that's not the design BPG was going for when they began ROA and that's not what the players who originally supported the project expected so that's why it wasn't changed to that in the beginning. Now when we add factions we have a choice. Change the entire game to fit a racial faction war or create a faction system that allows players to choose between faction warfare or clan warfare and they are not required to mix races.
    --- Post updated ---
    That's the power of a sandbox, to make the content you want.

You need to understand that the intent of this post and specifically the "RoA is/is not" list was to explain how we try to determine a target audience and how we continue forward with patching. If you talk to a Survival Game player and try to convince him to play ROA are you going to tell him it's a survival game or an MMORPG that shares similarities with survival games? Are you going to tell the FPS player it's an arena or an MMOPRG with FPS combat? There is a reason why genres have labels.

There is a world of difference between being a br game or being a survival game than being able to have those within your game.

12. Sique

Sique Fire Giant
    Legend

i just can't wait to run around in a neon green dragon bag, gonna look so cool!

[​IMG]

Slayven and Sero like this.
  13. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

This is a better image.
    --- Post updated ---
    another

Attached Files:

• dgn.png
      dgn.png
      File size:
      169.4 KB
      Views:
    • fp.png
      fp.png
      File size:
      441.5 KB
      Views:
    KingLlama likes this.
  14. JEDIMind

JEDIMind Frostjarl
    Wealthy

#54 JEDIMind, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  15. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

Jesus man.

“What was built” has done nothing but drive people OUT.

it’s not working. Every decision you made every change you have done so far has driven more and more people away.

You wanted to remove race and your reasoning was you were adding factions and wanted people to be able to play together.

Instead of just fixing alignment.

How many years ago was that?

You could have literally done ZERO FUCKING CHANGES TO THE GAME EXCEPT ADD FLUFF and you would have a much higher population.

Straight facts.

Oh and those people who “bought into” the vision ??? Yeah me and my clan and all my friends did too. I have multiple legendary accounts.

I stopped “buying in” when you kept fucking with shit that didn’t matter.

You act like you were in the team from the get go. I literally still have a dm in discord to you where I said you should be in the team and you responded that it wasn’t likely.

We still had race wars then. See the “vision” kept changing.

Then we pivoted. Then changed more. Then we reverted.

Are you serious right now?

Wipe every damn change to beta go on vacation and leave the fucking game alone and you would literally get my 3 subs and most people I know would come back.

Darkfall used to be a fun sandbox mmorpg.

I have no idea wtf it is now but it is NOT that.

16. VoQeles

VoQeles Goblin Scout

To be honest if you tried to get a friend to play this game most of them will dismiss the game immediately within a few hours. The obvious reasons are...
    1. No activity in chat, and often the chat is low quality. If I log into MMO and see the kind of chat I see here I would just close the tab. Shows low interest in game, and if the chat is bad then it will be seen to mean the culture here is volatile and trashy.
    2. Game feels like a beta in certain moments, when you combine this with #1 this signals to a person evaluating the game that it's probably not cared about.
    3. Next to no info on interwebs, if you go to google or wiki and can't find anything makes you feel like the game is dead, nobody cares about it, etc.

Notice, none of that has anything to do with any big patch, I feel confident in saying that retention of actual none DFO/UW/ND players would be sub 2% in any scenario. Why? Because majority of activity is from old players, fresh players come and disappear but are not retained. It wouldn't matter if you had a period of 1000 daily actives, because it would default to the same population every time. The objective should be to increase thresholds, increase the bottom line of low activity periods and high activity periods.

In other words, activity will always come and go, the question is how sustainable the game is in it's lows and how prosperous at it's highs.

edit: and Yes, I do think as a whole we are to blame, some of us are playing this for 10 years and can't put together a proper wiki for a game we supposedly care about and spend so much time arguing over. Me included, but I really want to see more people contribute to the wiki and less volatility when it comes to player interactions.

#56 VoQeles, Aug 21, 2019
  17. Thrill Kill

Thrill Kill Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

This

18. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight

I never once acted like I was here from the beginning and state so whenever I talk about the past. Odd flex.

You say "What was built has done nothing but drive people OUT" BUT THEN SAY "You could have literally done ZERO FUCKING CHANGES TO THE GAME EXCEPT ADD FLUFF and you would have a much higher population"...

"Instead of fixing alignment" - blanket statement. Tell me how to fix alignment if you think it's the answer.

All this rage because you think race wars would have saved the game?

19. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

u guys doing great, game dont need to be save

#59 BeatIt, Aug 21, 2019
  20. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

The moment the game creates disincentives towards braindead zerging, and promotes conflict and strife between multiple clans/factions, is the moment the game starts getting a healthy population.

If the aim of the game is to win the fight, conquest etc, etc... there is no reason to do anything else other than zerg since it pretty much gurantees a victory and the ruleset allows it.

Every change and addition you make is pointless until you fix this issue. In the end the game will always result in 2 parties fighting each other until they get bored. Take a look at everytime the pop spikes, I can assure you, it was followed by a server-war between 2 parties that ended with a population landslide. It's the nature of the game, and it will never allow it to get a pop higher than 500.

#60 Sero, Aug 21, 2019