Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Comprehensive suggestions list

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by apophis, Apr 30, 2020.

1. apophis

apophis Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Played dfo since launch. Here's all the changes I think darkfall needs to not just survive, but thrive and become the success we all know it has the potential to be.

* - Essential
    *** - Quality of life

Vassal system*
    I didn't play Asheron's Call but their vassal system to me sounds absolutely necessary to encourage and reward vets for taking in new players and showing them the ropes. I don't know the precise mechanics but essentially once you have someone as your vassal, you gain a small % bonus of experience whenever they are grinding their character. Now seeing as how AC's character grind is far steeper than RoA's, it clearly needs some revamping to fit this game.

So here's what I propose, you pick up a newbie as your vassal. You now have 30 days to get them into the game and make them feel welcomed. After 30 days the vassal is prompted and asked if their lord has been helpful in their introduction to the game. If the vassal accepts, the vassal's account is bound for life to the lord, and whenever he kills a mob 3% of the gold and/or enchanting mats gets added as a bonus(not a tax) to the lord's "treasury"(one of them fancy premium boxes). These numbers can obviously be adjusted and are just being thrown out, this of course applies to all my suggestions. Only premium accounts should be eligible for lordship so people can't make a freemium account to be their own lord.

People that are actively helping this game grow and dealing with all the headaches of new and clueless players should be dummy rich.

New player experience*
    Everyone knows this needs to be looked into. I think there should be a novice mage spec that removes all current buffs, debuffs, a bunch of their utility like eyerot, pungent, confusion(perhaps magma, reflect?) and locks out all the different r90/r50/aoe's allowing them to only use the fire ones. As compensation they should get a 20% damage bonus to all spells/transfers/heals, and their own all encompassing self buff that provides about 50-75% of the current elemental/physical protections/spell haste as normal mage buffs. Maybe some mages here will disagree but I like the current buff system - rewards foresight/preparedness and it takes too long to do mid-combat except for the absolutely combat essential(spellhaste/stoneskin).

The overall aim of this spec is to reduce the decision tree that newbies are faced with while still making them combat viable(destroyer is not a combat viable spec for newbies, as it requires expensive gear and substantial game knowledge). Default binds and hotbar configuration need to be revamped to fit this spec and made viable with no alterations.

Autohotkey*
    This needs to be made redundant and the functionality it currently provides is provided by the in game UI. Here's a list of a the current scripts I use.

1)Autolooter. I hold ctrl + right click my destination position, I ctrl + left click all items I want to send to that destination. If I have 25 different enchanting mats in my inventory, I set the destination as my enchanting bag then spend a total of 3 seconds ctrl + left clicking all of them. I would rather quit then spend 20 seconds dragging them all one by one.
    2)Pot cooldown timer. Plays a sound file X number of seconds after I click my potion hotkey. UI could provide this information visually.
    3)Mount lean binds. Sends both a left click attack command, and a mount lean command with a single button press(I use my mouse wheel up and down).
    4)Reliable parry. I'm not really sure exactly what my script does, and doesn't seem perfect, but I think its still an improvement over purely in game mechanics. If I have right click as my sword + board(with autoparry option on) then I want this happening as soon as possible no matter what my current character state is and for as long as my right click is held down. So if I'm mid cast of a reflect, and start holding down right click, I want to be s+b parrying at the soonest possible time.
    5)Ray script. I'm not a mage so you'll need feedback from them, but they swear the in game functions are not perfect and still require a script for absolute reliability.
    6)Autoclicker. I use this for 3 things, when I'm bolting a 7k+ hp mob, when I'm bowing a 7k+hp mob, or when I'm on a cannon. You might consider allowing continuous fire from holding left click similar to melee attacks, but I would still use an autoclicker so I don't have to hold the button. Give us a "continuous attack" bind, and fix "ghost shots" on cannons.

Housing*
    Houses were made worthless when runebooks were introduced. Here's just one idea to give them value again. You should get a pve bonus of 10-20% gold and/or enchanting mats for mobs within a 2km radius of a house you own or live in, and a 20-40% gathering bonus(based on quality of house). Something needs to be done with sea-villages, perhaps relocate water based mobs to these areas and buff them, maybe some gathering islands can put near them. You should get a paperdoll bound deed that doesn't drop on death when you own a house(to make house trading easier).

Villages/billboards*
    Move player city billboards exclusively to villages and MAYBE chaos cities. Current implementation is mega cancer. Send 1 dude to each village, 10 people dueling in the safety of your city towers, if your 1 dude sees anyone 10 people are on top of him within 15 seconds. Either be prepared and dicking around outside the safety of your city walls and guard towers at a nearby village, or fuck off you can't help your friend. You can literally go from playing a hearthstone game to 5v1 blowing the brains out of a solo capping hero in under 30 seconds. Unacceptable.

NPC city billboards should port to only lawful villages(the billboards in lawful villages can only port to other lawful villages). Porting to lawful villages should have a tier3 or tier4 gear cap, which also includes the value of your backpack so you can't port in with plate on your paperdoll and dragon in your backpack.

Unholy Wars relic system*
    City raiding needs to be incentivized. Everyone I asked loved UW's relic system and just wanted some tweaks to the overpowered relics. Just straight rip this whole system, great content which this game BADLY needs.

Seasonal wipe*
    It is simply too daunting to enter into this game as a new player when in it's at a fully developed state. Not only are you asked to compete with players that have years of experience over you, who will kill you in less than 30 seconds and take what you've earned over the past hour farming. Even if you were blessed with the hands of a gamer god, you are still MONTHS of pve grinding behind them to be on an equal footing gear wise. You can't make gear worthless as this removes content/activity from the game, so the only solution is yearly wipe of all banks/housing/holdings and possibly character.

The housing grind for the higher tier houses should be lowered considerably. City costs look fine considering a yearly wipe, but I've never built a wonder so maybe the cost of wonders should be lowered a bit. The game will always lead to a stagnated state, which starts the slippery slope of inactivity. One person upon completing all their goals of a fat bank, a finished char, a comfy city, and a retirement home in the hills logs out and removes a bit of content from the next person, who then bores and logs out - a cascading effect. The game NEEDS wipes to be kept fresh.

Obviously you should keep all your store bought items, and in this area I think BPG is doing a great job, and will hopefully continue to expand on this. Character wipe is up for debate. Personally I think the current grind is both substantial enough to provide significant content as well as short enough to not be daunted at the prospect of doing it again and I'm in favor of wiping chars as well(maybe crafting skills should be kept?)

Steam release*
    With all the above completed, it's an absolute no-brainer to get this game on steam. Perhaps one day we might even see an ad somewhere. But that's dreaming pretty big, so lets just go 1 step at a time.

Mounts/autosprint***
    Remove mount stamina, add a mount sprint skill that once it's activated allows your mount to sprint for 2 minutes, with a 2 minute cooldown(bluetails for 4 minutes, battlehorns for 1 minute). It's very annoying having to manage your mounts stamina with autosprint as well as making sure your mounts are full stamina before packing them up and putting them back in your mount bag. Autosprint should be enabled by default upon login, and most everyone will never need to touch this keybind ever again.

Freemium scouting alts/Dungeon strongboxes***
    In theory I like the freemium model, but in practice it has had some really obnoxious effects. It is now a simple matter with zero cost to keep freemium scouts at every high end mob spawn in the game. Of course you could always do this before the freemium model, but if you were paying for an alt it was highly likely to be a gathering/crafting alt that you would want to be semi-afk gathering mats for your main, or crafting for your clan. Since they are no cost and have a soul bound runebook to every place on the map, they can scout literally any location on the map with nearly 100% uptime.

You could disable soul-bound runebooks on freemium accounts which would help significantly but you can still scout anything near a holding you own with zero cost. I suggest adding a "Tracker" item. You go to a high-end mob spawn, use your tracker item and if there's a freemium account within ~500 meters(whatever max visual distance is) from you that's not in your party, it gives you a hit "these tracks are fresh". Now you know you need to call in some boys because you are definitely going to be jumped, and not to get to 10% while farming. Theres no stopping premium scouts and that's fine - they're supporting the game and there's a limited number of them.

Dungeon strongboxes need no explanation, strongboxing tight corridors in dungeons transforms them into 100% safe zones which is completely antithetical to darkfall's ruleset. Completely remove the ability for any strongboxes to be placed in dungeons. Again freemium accounts can just sit in the doorways that the strongboxes typically occupy. Perhaps redesign dungeons so end portals bring you back to the entrance, where the real exit portal is placed. But then there would need to be a solution to the dungeon-portal into ctrl+alt+del crash client strat. Buff dungeon rewards to compensate for the added risk of turning them into essentially a fight or die zone with no chance of escape. This is VERY low on my importance metric, but worth mentioning.

Blackbolts***
    Nerf them to .01-.05 dmg. Nerf staff magnitude enchants by ~5%. Add the nerfed magnitude to the baseline of the higher tier staffs. Blackbolt should be for fighting plate and below, sortiledge fp, spiritchaser/cobra for infernal+. A q5 cobra should reach the same magnitude as it can now, and it now should be significantly stronger than a q3 blackbolt and worth the very high crafting cost. Lower lifebolt to .00 and make it a proper .7 speed staff with boosted transfers so economy destros dont need an expensive staff to keep their current ~Q3 blackbolt transfers, destros don't need their gear sets cost increased its high enough. Again very low importance here, possibly not worth tinkering with.

Buff center dungeon***
    This should be one of the best, if not the best place on the map to farm end game gear. Make a fire giant room next to a vilegaunt room. Make a demon queen room next to a minotaur room. This place should be poppin off 24 hours a day so it gets nicknamed the bang house. Possibly needs some revamping because of earlier dungeon issues mentioned, but just do it. Add a portal from the center of every island continent that ports you to the center dungeon floating platform.

Healing chant***
    Make it affect mounts, and increase aoe 2-3x. I routinely spawn all the mounts I got from combat and have to heal them all up before putting them into my mount bag. This would give healing chant a purpose as well as cut down on some tedium.

Combat changes***
    I left this for the end because I understand it's very controversial. Resources are better spent creating content and doing other things rather than perfecting(reverting) combat.

You tried to make the game less clunky and ended up removing the depth and enjoyment of high tier meta and it has devolved into a dps race with a ttk thats disappointingly low. I'm not going to harp on this too much, I see combat changes at this point as non-essential but nevertheless I'm hoping for a full revert in regards to weapon swap delay and spell delays.

Removing the dreaded "paperdoll lock" was good imo, but the delay should have been kept in and instead it simply queued your weapon swap to take place when the delay was over. So if you, for instance, try to swap to your sword and board while you're mid-cast of a reflect, you don't get a "paperdoll lock" and the command is lost, it simply waits for the spell to finish, and DFO swap delay has lapsed(was it .1-.2 seconds?), then your sword and board comes out. Newer commands would obviously override this queue, so if you queued your sword and board mid cast but decided towards the end of your cast you really want your greatsword out, the previous command is overridden.

Lowering the spell cooldown delay between spells was not a good change. When I watch current mage videos it's like they're machine gunning spells so fast it just looks ridiculous. With the time it takes to put together a pvp viable bag, lowering the ttk like this was not a good change. Revert these changes and remove mana shield from the game. Destros don't need the extra tankiness if the delays are added back, and it was never good for mages with mana shield hitting harder with their bows in water fights against a destro.

Remove knockup from impulse. Mages did not need another knockup that goes as high as a magma and casts faster than a fireball. If the knockup can't be removed without affecting its bunnyhopping abilities, just do a full revert to shrapnel and light bspikes. I really can't even imagine why this was changed in the first place, but whatever gain you think there's been in the area of bhopping by the current implementation is far outweighed by the toxicity of this insanely cancerous fast casting knockup.

Remove disable bolt. Just another swing and a miss. Unnecessary, insanely OP, further lowering the ttk and making 1v1's a toxic shitfest. Blows my mind it made it into the game(with a slight knockup too!) and wasn't shot down during testing(there was testing... right?)

**edit** Alternatively, increase casting time to make it comparable to swapping to a bow, and using disabling shot.

Move explosion to greater magic. It's really dumb that it's 100% impossible to run from a mage in the water as a destro, as well as 100% impossible to catch a mage even if they fuck up a begone. Mages already have superior land mobility with stormblast, and this can be counter-acted somewhat with playerskill by landing all your hops. They don't need superior water mobility as well(where its impossible to make up the difference with playerskill).

Thanks for reading

#1 apophis, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  2. Bojangles

Bojangles Frostjarl
    Legend

3. Bonii

Bonii Infernal
    Tester

great ideas +7

Bojangles likes this.
  4. smoody

smoody Dire Zombie

yes

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Bojangles likes this.
  5. ijharb

ijharb Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter

lots of amazing ideas. The highlight of this whole post is the seasonal section. Without some sort of soft wipe on this game at regular intervals the chance for players to return or to even give the game a shot is such a daunting task. T there is already the insane skill gap and learning curve in this game, but also the extensive gear grind to even get your first q4/5 infernal bag. Some sort of soft wipe at regular intervals would motivate people who took breaks or are just behind in general to come back and give the game another go.

I really thinking adding weapon swap delay is going to appease a few vets but piss many more players off. Myself included, the game feels way too clunky with this invisible delay added onto swaps. Maybe just increase cast time across the board or remove .7 speed staves from high tier drops aka spiritchaser and cobras and force people to be stuck casting spells longers. Giving destros an actual opportunity to land a destro hit and to force mages to maybe actually have to use their brain and think before casting magma in someones face.

Akamenos and apophis like this.
  6. KoKane

KoKane Celestial
    Wealthy

Why even bother posting that dude? Just read it or dont.

If you're happy with the way the game is then just move on.
    If not, and interested in ideas and building on ideas to improve the game and/or community, then just add to it.

The TLDR is:
    garbage community

@apophis
    Thanks for posting. Takes big will power to summon the effort of contributing ideas here. Comes in waves/bursts

7. Itwas Luck

Itwas Luck Windlord

ignore bo. He's immature!

8. Myater

Myater Cairn Giant
    Hero

apophis likes this.
  9. Bojangles

Bojangles Frostjarl
    Legend

tldr is suk my nuts

10. Degamra

Degamra Winterbound
    Hero

I was thinking of a seasonal idea that would break into 4 seasons a year, where the game would get wiped every season, and each would offer completely different darkfall gaming experiences. For example, S1could be the same as the game is right now. S2 would have the grind like DFO grind, super hardcore progression. S3 would be go back to regular progression, however all mobs in game are 3x as strong but have 3x the drops. Haven't really thought of an idea for S4, but you get the idea...the game would reset every campaign and restart under a new set of rules to keep the game feeling less stale and fresh given its bland content

11. JEDIMind

JEDIMind Black Knight
    Wealthy

Andrew played AC. He should know if he made everything like AC ( Leveling, loot, death items, portals, bindstone/lifestones, quest, clan/monarch system ) with Darkfall combat it would be legit best game ever made.

12. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

amazing post apo.

the vassal system would be sick whit the reputation system that i speak whit billy lee. Imagine u help someone and every daily task the vassel is completing u get a small reputation %.

13. Shieldbreaker

Shieldbreaker Undead Dwarf
    Benefactor

Some solid ideas.

However, on wipes/seasons.

Each and every time the players who claim to return on relaunch/wipe/etc get shredded by better players, fall behind, stop playing and ask for wipes.

The gear grind gap should be smaller, and it should be easier for new and returning players to become viable (daily dungeons rewarding enchants is a fantastic example in my opinion), but wipes/seasons will not solve the issue, as it has been proven time and time again.

14. ijharb

ijharb Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter

The game explodes every time a wipe or rerelease has ever happened though. Uw soft wiped and it honestly saved the game for another year or so until roa killed it.

also it’s a damn shame how little attention this thread is getting.

15. Shieldbreaker

Benefactor

The game explodes, yes, for a week or two, until the vets/more experienced players pull ahead, and all the wipe-askers are, once again, not on level ground. Then it dies down, to less than it was pre-wipe.

Basically, a wipe pulls in the pro-wipe crowd for 2-6 weeks, at the cost of some of the grindier/long-term favourable playerbase.

You could try to go seasonal and hope that the pro-wipe crowd sticks around, but they have never stuck around in any version of Darkfall, so I do not think it would be a wise move.

16. ijharb

ijharb Chosen of Khamset
    Supporter

Well if you say so. I disagree, the server has always shit itself and killed itself every time it’s happened. it even happened with roa launch.

17. Kol Taggar

Kol Taggar Celestial
    Loyal Legend

is this even the real apophis maw

18. Itwas Luck

Itwas Luck Windlord

Yes, I saw him sticky back the fire dragon yesterday

Kol Taggar likes this.
  19. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I agree with almost all this BUT, wipes need to be FULL wipes except sore bought stuff

AND character progression at launch needs to be staggered with hard or soft caps that raise every 3 days or so

Crafting should be HARD CAPPED and time based (week 1 you can only go to rank 20 gear, week 2 rank 30, week 4 rank 40, week 6 rank 50, ect)

And remove ALL mob dropped gear/ weapons for the 1st month

These changes are PARAMOUNT TO STOP EARLY GAME POWER ADVANTWGES AND BLOWOUTS FROM MAKING NON-TRYHARDS AND NEWBS QUIT IN MONTH 1

Combat wise you need the factor in the numerous spell nerfs mages have received in RoA (eyerot, pungent, wof, debuffs, toxic, inferno knockup, come hither fall damage/ blockable, adept, cross buffs,and more were nerfed)

While destroyers have only gotten buffs both directly and indirectly (and they were already the best thing in the game in DF1 for most fighting situations)

I would prefer the combat to reverted to as close to DF1 as possible with only a few changes/ nerfs kept like come hither being blockable, the cross buff changes, WoF nerfs in terms of cost/cooldown (but not size/ strength)

Debuffs need their own topic they were not right in DF1 but they also aren't in RoA, they were too strong in DF1 some ways (duration and and Stat cost mainly) and too weak in others (hard to land not enough magnitude to be worth over a damage spell)

Things like Eyerot need a full fucking revert to DF1 though

And if you're going to keep the cast time on pungent mist then revert the Stat cost (in RoA they raised it) and give it a little more damage

Whatever buffs destroyer gets, mage should get something in return...

If Destroyers want to use explosion and for impulse to no longer knock up, then give mages baseline jump on rank 50's, so we can have jump+ speed or jump+magnitude.

Another thing to consider is instead of removing disabling bolt...

What if we went the New Dawn/ UW route of REMOVING PRE-DISABLE?

And changing it so AS SOON AS U CLICK PARRY IT STOPS YOUR SWING IMMEDIATELY AND STARTS PARRYING

And adding timed block (example being the longer you continuously hold block the less reduction and increased Stam cost for you, but if you block within .25 seconds of being hit you get a "perfect block" which costs your attacker extra stamina if its melee)

Then lower cooldown on archery disable/ spell disable/ melee disable...

The point being to increase counterplay and make blocking VASTLY MORE SKILLFUL like a street fighter type game, especially in melee

This of course would also prevent you from getting wof predisabled and bursted down so fast from range

And there's no way Destroyer should have gotten to use an extra archery spec like mana shield with mage hunter/killer

It would be different if you sacrificed destroyer and magic but instead got to use ALL archery specs like mage killer+ Mage hunter+ mana shield+ water shot+ jumpshot+ unfazed

BPG pretty much removed any kind of choice/ trade offs which is what specializations were supposed to do (in addition to being a archery/melee bandaid fix back in mid 2009 when mages were WAAAY more OP than now)

#19 Battle Smurf, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
    onslaught likes this.
  20. Shieldbreaker

Benefactor

You can't stop it, better players will win over worse players, build banks faster, take holdings faster and so on. You are going about it the wrong way.

The solution isn't to wipe each time the worse off players start to fall behind, but to make falling behind not as punishing, making it easier to catch up in grind (done in RoA), making it easier to catch up in gear (free enchants from dailies is a fantastic step in the right direction) and to make it easier to knock big zerg off pedestals - holding maintenance helps with that.

What is your endgame, a server wipe each time someone gets a r40 or above? If you like nakeds fighting with r0s and mana missiles, there is fun to be had in that, but you are trying to deny the deeper, more fun combat that happens when more gear and skills are unlocked.

That being said, if/when arena comes, there should be an option to cap weapon/armour ranks or disable spells for duels, to make for some unique combat scenarios.