Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Crafting for new players

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by Rawr, May 3, 2017.

1. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

This is to serve as a bit of a warning to new players. Not that crafting is a bad thing, but people might have some kind of illusions on the dedication and cost to do with crafting in game.

Many of the crafting professions take quite some dedication and effort to level, and not many actually paying for themselves unless you are actively trading or crafting for others.

To explain further, I played a merchant and crafter in DFO, I was typically spending 4-8 hours a day crafting, trading and travelling around the world. I never really struck it rich, but along the way I met a lot of interesting people, made some really awesome friends and overall, I had fun. (I also got killed by the fire dragon at least once a week)

Raw materials, especially in the early stages of the game will be in short supply, and high demand, as guild crafters push for the higher tiers. Usually these people have others feeding them materials so they can focus on crafting as efficiently as possible. For a solo player, this isn't that efficient. For these styles of players you probably want to focus on killing mobs, and other people, not spending your life at a crafting bench banging away crafting low tier items just to get to the next tier to do it all again.

I will post this here for those who need it:

That is the crafting spreadsheet for RoA, based on the old darkfall online spreadsheet, but I will correct anything that is not right asap.

As people may notice is that the costs for things is quite high, and you aren't guaranteed to skill up by crafting something. Quite often you are gaining 0.2 or less, and the costs are quite high.

For that I recommend making friends, or finding out who are merchants who are operating in RoA such as myself. Someone who you can sell to who are reliable and can provide what you need, there's also a crafting clan BURN, who function the same.

I don't want anyone to get frustrated so thought I would put this out there. As well accompanying video with a short Q&A by my SG, to hopefully be better.

For those who are willing to put in the dedication, good luck. It's quite the tedious thing, but for those who want to focus on the other aspect of the game (the economic side) and give up pvping, it can all be worth it.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Traxon, Navlaan, Fengor and 1 other person like this.
  2. Bartlebe

Bartlebe Varangian Warthane
    Loyal Patron Legend

How updated is this doc?

Edit: armorsmithing values look right. Missing all the new foods.

#2 Bartlebe, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

4. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

I'll be adding them once I can get back into game! Thanks for noticing.

5. aparks

aparks Obsidian Golem
    Legend

6. TheBean682

TheBean682 New Member

I am curious as to how profitable selling raw materials is. I have never enjoyed crafting much but in games like UO I often made a good living selling raw materials to crafters. I am planning in trying Darkfall out and this would be something I would enjoy doing if it is in demand. Is this something something people do in Darkfall or are crafters usually so well supplied by their guild that they do not bother going outside of that circle? Thanks!

7. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

If you have resources, odds are there are people willing to buy them if you are willing to sell them. Wealthy clans definitely won't mind accruing more resources ESPECIALLY if you have pre-refined it for them. I believe ingots for example were marked up a gold or two more for the service.

--

As far as how profitable it will be though, it's hard to say until we see how the players dictate it's worth. If the population is as strong as I think it will be then resources are going to be scarce and well sought after. Lots of people but static amount of nodes to draw from.

PandahSykes likes this.
  8. TheBean682

TheBean682 New Member

Good to hear, thanks for the reply.

9. Rawr

Rawr Chosen of Khamset

Yes raw resources are highly traded, for a new player this is how you get good gear early. I will be buying it as much as I can afford, and selling off whatever I make. You can also approach people and BYOM (bring your own mats) and people will do it sometimes for free or a small fee for their time.

And yes to confirm this, small markup on refined sometimes, which is to account for failures and your time.

Rare mats are going to be very hot, as it seems rare mats are rare or non-existant from newbie nodes which is good.

I am really looking forward to things! See everybody in game tomorrow where my grind will begin!

10. Hodo

Hodo Goblin Shaman

help a noob understand the numbers.
    Lets look at the Troll staff, Damage 0.05, speed 0.4.

Does that mean it does an additional 5% more damage over base and is 40% faster or it takes 40% longer to cast?

11. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

The numbers aren't really clear but the 0.05 damage is a modifier, and not a percentage based thing over base
    Speed is casting time and the higher the number the lower the time to cast is. Typically most things in DF will have a higher damage modifier and a lower speed or a higher speed and lower damage modifier. In the case of Staves for example, speed tends to be king as being able to cast 5 spells in the time someone else is able to cast 4 generally(but not always) wins out on DPS. It also allows you to switch and change what you want to do and the next spell you want to cast (or not cast) quicker. Getting caught midway through a really long cast by someone with a great sword hitting you is going to be a bad thing. Casting a bit faster allows you to recover quicker. For weapons sometimes damage is king, and sometimes you'll want a happy medium.

Hodo likes this.
  12. Hodo

Hodo Goblin Shaman

Thank you, that makes some sense. I imagine it is still percentage based.

A 0.05 increase in damage would be a 5% increase in damage, but not a flat .05 increase in damage, that would make no sense.

13. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

I don't know the back-end portion of this, but its probably something like this. I'd guess its probably more like a .5 or .05% increase in damage modifier (IE if your spell does 50 damage it will do .5% more per point or something weird) the difference between a low damage staff and a high damage one is like less than 10 points of damage per spell.
    The reason that staves follow the rule of speed is king, more than something like a great sword has to do with how haste modifiers work.
    Hasten spells even at max level does not cap your speed to cast (nor does enchanting variant I believe) but a melee haste can cap your swing speed and at certain point it is no longer beneficial to use a faster weapon since you cannot swing faster, and more damage at a slower speed(still capped with haste) wins out.
    On the flip side, there is a damage cap for players, so swinging slower to do more damage isn't really worth while either, as with the "happy medium weapon" you'll be doing basically cap damage at cap speed.

The time between swings and whatnot is next to nothing allowing you to switch to a different activity quickly and "recover" if things go wrong. The time to cast some spells is lengthy and can end in your early demise if you are caught casting a slow spell by a destroyer in your face. (This is mostly how people get dropped extremely quickly in fights). Destroyers can hit you for cap damage at cap speed with bonus damage while you have your staff out, its like .5 seconds between swing or less and they'll 3-4 shot even the most hardy player in this situation. pre-disables make this even worse as you have no means to stop the incoming onslaught once you do finish your spell.

#13 Skotemo, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
  14. Hodo

Hodo Goblin Shaman

The reason I am thinking it is a percentage base is because most of these figures look like they were pulled from a data dump file, and most games MMO or otherwise usually only read in absolutes when it comes to modifiers. Not fractions or percentages. So if you want a 10% boost on something in game you have it coded as a 0.10 boost in its stat. That would be read by the game engine as a 10% boost over norm.

So something like you were saying a spell that does 50 base damage when cast from a staff with a .05 increase in damage, would only be a 5% increase, or about 2.5 additional damage over normal 50.

I am still learning DFO, and have very limited knowledge on what a "destroyer" is, I have learned a bit... but like all things in good time.

My first concern is learning the basics of the crafting and modifiers. Once I learn that I have a base to build from. Then it is just spreadsheets and math.

15. Skotemo

Skotemo Akathar
    Hero

The basics of crafting and modifiers - ANY two handed weapon with high durability that requires mastery level or higher to craft will be useful to SOMEONE. The key ones to look for are Great swords and Great Axes. Staves will be speed is king (Black-bolt Cobra Staff Etc). Adding the PROPER enchantments to items make them drastically increase in value. IE an Infernal helmet with Q3/4 "Feather" or encumbrance lightening enchantment will dramatically boost price. Industry and true forge are big in every craft you do, as well as having a large sizeable pool of wisdom. Use your wisdom buff every time you craft as it will increase (even slightly) the durability of anything you craft, and potentially cut down on time to craft as well.

Destroyer is a sub-set of playing the game. It involves selecting a trait that limits you to using Basic magic Lesser/Greater/Spellchanting/Witchcraft and adds a bonus to each melee swing you do while your target has a staff out. It, along with other traits light mana shield (damage taken with a bow out drains a percentage of your mana instead of health) turn into a play style veterans refer to as destroyer. Your main goal is to wear heavy armor and use melee/archery to deal damage. In group fights these guys are trying to push into your squishy mages and drop them while they are vulnerable (casting a spell with their staff out). They serve as a means to disrupt the back line and cause chaos during a fight. They have trouble escaping once they dive in and can be focused or kited if you play properly. Debuffs negate most of the burst damage they can do, and put any mage at an advantage.

#15 Skotemo, May 9, 2017
    Last edited: May 9, 2017
    Hodo likes this.