Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Darkfall Game Information & New Player Guide/Tips

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by Avenging Martyr, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Avenging Martyr

Avenging Martyr Celestial
    Legend

Hello everyone,

This thread is entirely about darkfall information and links to various sites as well as my own personal tips for new players.

Basic Controls: The default bindings. Which I strongly recommend changing and you can see how in Valroths "Accelerated Character Development Guide" which is linked further down on this thread.
    Credit - Copperfield

http://www.eu1.darkfallonline.com/help/basic_controls.html

World Map of Agon: This map can show separate difficulties of monster spawns or all of them at once, cities, wild banks, dungeons ect.
    Credit - EdarSurefoot

http://www.geckzilla.com/dfstuff/dfmap.swf

Crafting Spreadheet:
    Tabs are at top to give access to the various crafting skills. You can see what can be made and what is required to make it. What skill is required for each item rank ect.
    Credit - EdarSurefoot

Darkfall Crafting Spreadsheet Link

Skill Chart: What skills are needed and where they need to be at to get the next skill.

http://darkfallinfo.wikifoundry.com/page/Darkfall+Skills+&+Requirement+Chart

Magic Information: Everything from mana cost to effects and explanations of spells. Skill requirements and information on intensifies ect. As well as extra skills like Archemage and Mana Conservation
    Credit - Ultra Combo

http://darkfallinfo.wikifoundry.com/page/Darkfall+-+Magic+Skills

Enchanting Component List: Tells you what monster you need to skin for enchanting material as well as pictures.

http://darkfallinfo.wikifoundry.com/page/Enchanting+Components

Detailed Enchanting Information: As stated and this also contains information on transmutation.

http://darkfallinfo.wikifoundry.com/page/Enchanting

I highly recommend Valroths "Accelerated Character Development Guide"
    The following link is to Part 1 and the rest of it should be shown in the playlist on the right side.

My New Player Tips

#1 Expect PvP. Early on in the game it will be chaos and more fun than difficult. Later on if someone is using a advanced character to grief you will need to learn to switch where you farm if it becomes a consistant problem. Use the map above to find other easy/medium creatures. You may need to go some distance away.

*Griefers tend to patrol and rotate through the easy/medium spawns in whichever areas they are hunting. I will update the map later if a new/better map is available.

#2 Bank everything that you do not need to perform the task you are currently focusing on. Since you can expect to lose everything on you when you die. Carry minimum amonts of reagents, arrows, potions, food and the lowest quality gear you can perform the task with. The less you put at risk the better off you are overall.

Most players use bags to create gearbags. Each bag containing whatever items, armor, weaps, reagents, potions ect you want for the task it was designed for. I would have a crafting bag with all my Tools, several PVE bags with high durability items, PVP bags with low durability items, Siege Gear bags with my best stuff ect. So you can just grab a bag and go while equiping on route.

*Bags can be bought at the Merchant NPC in any NPC city if I remember correctly.

#3 You should use NPC cities unless you join a clan. Otherwise use the towers to prevent griefing and switch spawns so you aren't trolled too badly. Don't bind to any chaos stone that is for advanced players working out of a wilderness bank which you don't need to do. Also a easy way to get spawn camped.

#4 Always carry a skinning knife. Skin everything and I do mean every mob that dies. Don't skin other peoples kills unless you are working together and that's okay. You can buy a skinning knife off the Merchant npc in every npc city.

*Important note : Enchanting materials are valuable even some low quality enchanting materials are highly desired by veterans. Enchanting gear is a very common practice so almost all enchanting materials are desired to some degree and more so for enchanters who want to work on thier skill.

Transmutation can be very useful for certain tasks and require enchanting materials. Quality 1 sparkstone is used for battle spikes which are used for asset damage, sieges and bunny hopping lol. Collect every enchanting material you can get your hands on. They can be used by you and allies or sold off for money.

#5 Make some friends. Some people like to play alone but at the very least find another solo style and team up. You can heal/buff each other which significantly increases your combat effectiveness. A decent 2 man team goes way beyond doubling your chances. Fully buffed and healing each other while focusing down targets I'd say you are at least 3 times as effective as when alone.

#6 When in melee around people you don't wish to harm make sure to use vertical melee swings. The overhead swing is much less likely to accidently hit someone besides your main target. If you are alone or facing multiple enemies keep your swings horizontal and use that arc to hit as many as you can at the same time. Default key is T to switch between vertical and horizontal swings.

My Character Development Tips

#1 When active build on your combat skills. Whether it be melee, archery or magic focus on fighting mobs of appropriate difficulty and preferably ones that drop some decent loot or reagents/weapons that you need for the current skills you are working on .

*Focus on easier creatures when you are new but as soon as you have some basic skill & confidence use the map and try out something else that's easy or maybe a medium difficulty creature just don't bite off more than you can chew and be careful when trying out something new.

*I suggest approaching new enemies with 1 hand weapon and shield ready to use. See how they attack you and give them a few minutes to show you what attacks they have available before you actually fight them.

*Remember they may have a special ability they only use when you are at X distance. Might be close or mid range.

#2 If you are home but you can't focus on playing you should try to do semi active things like gathering. So if you are cleaning, watching a child, working from home or doing homework ect you could come by every 15 minutes move the character to the next tree/rock and let your character do that while you are busy.

*Meditation works when logged out but costs gold and it is still not nearly good at stat gains as things like logging or mining. Which both increase Vitality and Strength stats at the same time. Mining is more profitable but trees are easier to find unharvested. Depends on where you are. I prefer isolated locations for gathering.

#3 When meditating I would suggest focusing on spellchanting first though if you have the patience or know how to macro then do it without meditation. Meditation costs gold and gains slower than any active method. Best to use it once you have money to spare.

Spellchanting requires time spent buffing others so it is very boring to work up. At 30 spellchanting you can buy Sacrifice which is the best heal other spell in the game. Extremly useful for any player so you can help your allies when they need it.

After this is done switch meditate the stat Vitality. This increases health the most and is the most important stat for staying alive.

*I would macro spellchanting myself and I suggest others do it but this guide is for new players so use the systems when possible and learn as you go.

#4 Advance through the mobs as quickly as you feel comfortable. Use the map link above and do easy ones. If you think they are nothing then go find some mediums. Upgrade and slowly test out creatures in the area and further away to find profitable mobs in more isolated locations. The true money makers.

*Remember it's not just gold that is valuable. Certain drops like runestones or Rank 50+ weapons are very nice. Skinning mats can make all the difference. Some creatures I farm for the mats alone and I can sell for alot of money if I want.

*Be aware some creatures are highly resistant to certain types of damage and could be vulnerable to others.

*Be aware some hard/elite mobs can kill you very quickly. Dragons have large spawn areas but only in those particular areas where they are.

#5 Don't just grind. You don't need to have a maxed out character to enjoy the game. Save your good gear for group activities or sieges. Try out pvp and raid a racial enemy area or try out a hard mob. Just rememeber to leave the best stuff in the bank and enjoy yourself. It is a great game and you don't need a maxed out character to enjoy it.

Useful Chat Commands: Some chat commands that are lesser known and useful

/annotation_add *Input* (Adds markers to world & mini map which you can name if I remember correctly)
    /annotation_remove (removes marker)
    /annotation_list

/gui_persist_save (In case of crash it saves your GUI settings including bank sorting/positions I do believe. You must log out properly for it to save correctly)

/partycreate (puts you as “leader” of party)

/invite name name (invites player to your party)
    /partyleave (for when your party wants to attack you for fun in city make them go gray hehe)

/waypoint (Which creates a giant beam of light on your position. Easily seen by all party members for quickly finding the creator.)

Other Key Binding, UI Commands & Emotes:
    Credit Incanuth Archbane

/help (brings up all commands; if you start typing a command and hit TAB you will cycle through them)
    /annotation_add (mark map with current location)
    /annotation_remove (removes mark)
    /annotation_list
    /bindstone_recall (takes you back to your bindstone)
    /msg name name or /tell name name (to send a private message using first and last name)
    /gui_persist_save (this is in case of a crash)
    /gm_help message (report a game issue)
    /partycreate (puts you as "leader" of party)
    /invite name name (invites player by first last name)
    /partyleave (for when your party wants to attack you for fun in city make them go gray hehe)
    /waypoint "name" to make a waypoint to a location - your party members can see it too! great feature!
    -F (Main use to loot, get on mount, talk when sheathed.)
    -G (opens trade/party invite when player is close; Also opens clan bank if you are in one; Also puts away mounts)
    -NUMLOCK (auto-run)
    -Z (revive when sheathed and aiming at target left click)
    -X (gank when weapon out and aiming at target hold down button until bar full then release) TIP - (thanks AmonDominus) rebind these to avoid confusing and killing friends.
    -V (parry)
    -C (crouch; left-alt+C toggle crouch (space to stand up);dive when in water)
    -T (toggle between horizontal and vertical melee attacks)
    -R (sheath and unsheath weapon for combat/looting)
    -Left-Shift (Run)

Emotes List

/warcry
    /drink
    /laugh
    /salute
    /greetings
    /wave
    /shrug
    /yawn
    /mock
    /thumb_up
    /thumb_down
    /no_no
    /taunt_01
    /taunt_02
    /taunt_03
    /taunt_04
    /taunt_05
    /show_off
    /point_back
    /point_front
    /point_left
    /point_right
    /thinking
    /air_guitar
    /sneeze
    /doh

Message to those thinking of playing DarkFall Rise of Agon:

Some people are tricked into believing you need everything to have a chance. That is not true.

What makes you viable is usually Teamwork. This game was never meant to be played totally alone. It's a MMO and meeting people, making friends, joining clans are all basic elements of the game.

A new fire mage with a new destro partner can rock peoples worlds, Nothing like knockups and haste as a partner for a chase down and cut you type player.

I've seen people who suck at pvp turn the tide of a large battle by healing people who need it and buffing anyone/everyone they can.

A newb running around naked rezzing/ganking people with no regs or staff can easily turn the tide of a city raid.

You just need to find some new pals and work together. Improve yourself and maybe branch out and try to learn other styles of combat. Each has thier best uses and few can master 1 of them.

By mastering I mean the player skill element not the in game 1-100 skill.

Really most players seem to have issues mastering one style let alone 2 or all 3.

I'd say most people become a novice in each/all styles rather easily, the majority of the better darkfall players I would consider experts in 2 or more combat styles.

Anyone who mastered 1 style was Grade A Lethal and could kill 75% of the playerbase in a 1 on 1. If he was also really good with a second style he could probably kill 85% of the playerbase in a 1 on 1.

Mastering 2 styles usually meant it took multiple veterans to take you down.

The only 3 style master I can even think of would have been Enyx and I am not even sure of that cause I never saw him water fight with archery or use much archery when I saw him. Nor would I dare say he wasn't a master archer cause I would not be suprised even a tiny bit if he was godly with that too.

The point is what changes the outcome of the battle is the amount of experiance you have ( AKA the Player Skills you need to learn and practice) and how effective you are with your team and your character.

Good teamwork beats firepower any day in darkfall. You need to practice until you don't even need to think of what buttons to press when you react. Until you know what you need to do and your partners know what they need to do. Duel each others and find others willing to duel. Verbal communications and practice working together.

Go out and fight, even if you lose. That experiance will help you and your friends learn. DIscuss what happened and what could have done what better. Missed a chance to rez? Need to practice a certain element of fighting? Should have chosen a different spot to fight? Learn and adapt.

Practice, Practice and Practice some more because this is the best player skill pvp mmo that has ever been available and you will love it once you get in.

If you enjoy risk and adrenaline with a player skill ceiling so high only a few have ever come close to touching it then you have found the game you never knew you loved.

Think I missed something important? You know of a quality information resource that is not listed? Let me know and I will add it.

Edits for spelling and clarification as needed. Will update with better information when I find it.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #1 Avenging Martyr, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    Sero, Makers Marco, MWTaylor and 8 others like this.
  2. Lakisuria_Moonglade

Lakisuria_Moonglade Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Not to be one of those guys, but wouldn't this fit better in the Darkfall New player tips and tricks section?

But otherwise a good light resource.

---

Totally did it to be one of those guys.

#2 Lakisuria_Moonglade, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  3. Avenging Martyr

Legend

HA,

yeah you are right... *Sigh* Not many people check that section. Wanted to get it some more attention lol. No new players for awhile yet I imagine.

Any mods wanna move it over for me?

#3 Avenging Martyr, Feb 27, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  4. Ramon Wolfs

Ramon Wolfs Akathar

Done

5. AdamDMC

AdamDMC Gravelord
    Supporter

Reading all links just for nostalgia. I am recruiting some old gamer friends too who I will be linking. Mr Souless avenger, we need to group up ingame and once again defend sorgom from enemy hands lel
    --- Post updated ---
    Hey does yourmom map still work? I go to the page even with silverlight installed and it wont load. hmm

6. Nuyur

Nuyur Wildtribe Mage

Last time i checked it was running DF UW maps, but perhaps the sites creator quit playing and let the site stay broken?

7. Avenging Martyr

Legend

Hey, hope you can convince others to come back. Xerra may come back once it's running.

I joined up with absolution so I'll be mainly rolling with those guys but I'm sure we could hang out like old times. Do some farming or pvping XD

No idea about yourmom map. That map up there I linked isn't bad. Hell I'm suprised there is a working map for the original version. I was pleasantly suprised by the amount of stuff still out there

#7 Avenging Martyr, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  8. Byzantinian

Byzantinian Goblin Warrior

I e-mailed the website's admin and got a surprisingly fast response as to their decision to continue updates or not. Hopefully someone can take this further...

"I'm not personally going to work on it anymore, but if you have hosting
    I could probably help set it up on your own website where you could then
    work on it. The Flash file of course requires Adobe software and
    knowledge of actionscript. If I recall correctly it's pulling the data
    via an xml file being generated by a php / mySQL database. I also had a
    simple form for adding POIs that utilized the codeigniter framework that
    the rest of my website uses, but it was never anything fancy and if I
    needed to delete something I had to do so manually via phpmyadmin or
    with some kind of SQL sent to the db. There was no fancy interface for
    that sort of thing."

9. Uzik

Uzik Ghost
    Affluent Legend

Don't forget the importance of /taunt_04 after 5v1'ing some guy. Also, you need to teach proper enemy counts in regards to forum posting (i.e. 5v1 = 3v6).

Crash and Fenris like this.
  10. Postman Pat

Postman Pat Akathar

great guide, better then uzik's videos for sure.

11. Crash

Crash Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Couldn't have said that better myself.

12. Incanuth Archbane

Legend

Some basic commands in a list format from the old Darkfall forums:

Key Binding/ui/commands

/help (brings up all commands; if you start typing a command and hit TAB you will cycle through them)
    /annotation_add (mark map with current location)
    /annotation_remove (removes mark)
    /annotation_list
    /bindstone_recall (takes you back to your bindstone)
    /msg name name or /tell name name (to send a private message using first and last name)
    /gui_persist_save (this is in case of a crash)
    /gm_help message (report a game issue)
    /partycreate (puts you as "leader" of party)
    /invite name name (invites player by first last name)
    /waypoint "name" to make a waypoint to a location - your party members can see it too!
    -F (Main use to loot, get on mount, talk when sheathed.)
    -G (opens trade/party invite when player is close; Also opens clan bank if you are in one; Also puts away mounts)
    -NUMLOCK (auto-run)
    -Z (revive when sheathed and aiming at target left click)
    -X (gank when weapon out and aiming at target hold down button until bar full then release) TIP - (thanks AmonDominus) rebind these to avoid confusing and killing friends.
    -V (parry)
    -C (crouch; left-alt+C toggle crouch (space to stand up);dive when in water)
    -T (toggle between horizontal and vertical melee attacks)
    -R (sheath and unsheath weapon for combat/looting)
    -Left-Shift (Run)

Emotes List

/warcry
    /drink
    /laugh
    /salute
    /greetings
    /wave
    /shrug
    /yawn
    /mock
    /thumb_up
    /thumb_down
    /no_no
    /taunt_01
    /taunt_02
    /taunt_03
    /taunt_04
    /taunt_05
    /show_off
    /point_back
    /point_front
    /point_left
    /point_right
    /thinking
    /air_guitar
    /sneeze
    /doh

#12 Incanuth Archbane, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  13. Rochus

Rochus Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

your mom map
    best darkfall map out there
    http://yourmom.at/agon/
    made by some czech guy as far as i know, hopefully he plays again

BootyEater69 likes this.
  14. Incanuth Archbane

Legend

Sadly, that is the Unholy Wars map :(

BootyEater69 and koruun like this.
  15. Rochus

Rochus Goblin Warlord
    Supporter

back in df1 days it has been a df1 map obviously, so hopefully.....

16. Avenging Martyr

Legend

If your mom still had a DF1 map I'd link it in a heartbeat. First thing I searched for cause that's what I used back when I played DF original

17. Incanuth Archbane

Legend

Yeah, it was a good tool. Would be nice if someone could get in contact with whoever made it.

koruun and Fenris like this.
  18. Lunatx

Lunatx Goblin Shaman
    Legend

Valroths Accelerated Character Development Guide was a joy to watch.

19. Seronys

Seronys Skeleton Archer
    Tester

omg just let me play this game already :(

Drauhkar likes this.
  20. RuptureXX

RuptureXX Deadeye

Geckzilla maps have a lot more accurate jnformation compared to yourmom maps. The bandwidth was a pain on yourmom map also.