Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Darkfall Optimized Computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Azane, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

For anyone else posting their specs: If your CPU is an i5 or i7 that was part of any series including or after Sandy Bridge, you're good.

If you've got a desktop version of any Sandy Bridge or later i3, you might even be in better shape (for darkfall, not much else)

aka, i5 2500(k), i7 2600(k) OR better, you'll be fine.

If your GPU is better than a nvidia GTX 460, you'll be fine.

If your cpu is one of those AMD 8 core CPUs that costed $200, then that's probably not going to run darkfall very well, especially in sieges. But it'll run day to day darkfall with playable FPS.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #61 Inositol, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    Eagleglow and Brat like this.
  2. Brat

Brat Akathar
    Hero

Thanks.

3. Suncross

Suncross Ghost

Is there any amount of coding that can be done to fix that, or is darkfall forever doomed to only utilize one core?

Also, AMD still isnt competitive? :(

Inositol likes this.
  4. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Like, it's possible, but from what I've heard, they would literally have to rewrite every interaction between the game engine and the ui / input, or something along those lines. It's a fucking mess.

And uh, AMD is "competitive", sure, on paper, but they bet on the wrong fucking horse with 8 weaker cores, instead of focusing on improving on quad core designs.

For games like DF, an 8 core processor is trash, for obvious reasons. I'm sure that AMD has some quad cores that would handle DFO fine, but intel's got 'em beat there.

Suncross likes this.
  5. Suncross

Suncross Ghost

I mean wouldnt re-writing the code be all around beneficial? Yeah its time consuming, but no amount of god-tier improvements that can be made to this game will keep players in if it runs like a 1995 McAfee installation. Half the time I rage quit the game, or put it down for extended periods, it was because of the game performance.

6. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

With the amount that's wrong with it, re-writing everything would be making a whole new game + a whole new engine, so 5-10 years of work for a few dedicated devs. you feel?

I imagine that it would be A LOT easier for the DND guys to do it now that they've got the source code, but AV still wants their cut, so that's a no-go. Same will go for ROA.

Being reliant on a single core isn't that big of a deal, we'll be ok.

Suncross likes this.
  7. Suncross

Suncross Ghost

Somehow I feel that it is worth it. Something tells me that this game is going to be released and patched over and over, and the performance is going to be just absolutely terrible. I mean its almost worth it. DF development started in the 90s (if im not mistaken). I think that programming has come a long way since then. I seriously doubt it would take 5-10 years unless there was only one developer.

A team of 5 people could accomplish it within a few years right? I mean not all the code is useless. They have a template to work off of.

Inositol likes this.
  8. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Yeah, but AV wants their cut. You can't just use their engine as a template to make a non-shitty one, and then turn around and make "LightJump, totally not DarkFall".

But yeah, games have done this before. Call of duty was originally a modified version of the Quake 3 engine. They call it by a different name now, but it's still the same modified Quake 3 engine.

This is a whole 'nother ball game though. DFO isn't a lobby shooter, and the code for it isn't simple.

Suncross likes this.
  9. Suncross

Suncross Ghost

Its definitely something to consider. I mean a re-release of the game under a new engine or what have you could still be viable. The world doesn't have to initially be as big as Agon and the 4 islands. It could start off as just Yssam, or Yssam and Cairn with a water barrier.

Thibk about it: start cutting pieces off until its an easier bite to take. Start off with one race. Maybe start off with just melee and archery with transfers. Start off with jus a few mobs to kill, and a few cities to build. They can actively patch the game and add things as they make them (weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly).

I mean all you need for a game to work is a formula that works. Darkfall has a working formula. They don't have to release the full course meal in the most expensive restaurant. I would be happy with just a few potato chips from the corner store at first, so long as those chips were Darkfall.

Inositol likes this.
  10. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Agreed, but I still don't know enough to know whether or not it's feasible, and even if it were, they'd probably fuck it up a lot. By the time we got the full game, movement would be weird, there'd be that one glitch every time you looked at the sky a certain way, etc.

I'll take the evil I know over the evil I don't.

11. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

if all you'd play is darkfall, spend ~$100 and get a G3258+mobo and easily overclock (no aftermarket cooler) to 4ghz+

12. breakqop

breakqop Crypt Guard

waste of money going for the 6320
    get the 6100 with a z170 motherboard and do a bclk overclock

13. Wozno

Wozno Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Ok, so while i always built my own computers, i always learn what i need, then forget it until its time to do upgrade again. So basically, my question is: How will my rig work for DF?

CPU: Intel core if 2500k Sandy bridge.
    GPU: AMD radeon R9 200 Series, core 450mhz, 4095 mbytes
    Mainboard: Asus P8p67 Pro
    Ram: 8gbit DDR-3
    Monitor1: Acer GN246HL black 24 widescreen
    Monitor2: BenQ G2400W
    What do i need to upgrade to manage daily play and also bigger sieges?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Added CPU-id .txt file

Attached Files:

#73 Wozno, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  14. Mortimer

Mortimer Deadeye

Id say youre fine, do you overclock the processor at all?
    Edit: thats sounds like my previous pc and oveclocked at 4.4 it ran 100vs 100 sieges in 65 fps or so. Sadly I could never get it to be stable :(

Wozno likes this.
  15. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

You'll be fine.

Wozno likes this.
  16. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Did you have a stock heatsink? I wasn't able to push my 2500k past stock without an aftermarket heatsink. I've had it running at 4.5 ever since.

17. Mortimer

Mortimer Deadeye

I had some very strong air cooling. Didnt change it, its still working but I figure either one of the cores was busted or I was simply that unlucky.

I'm rocking an i7 4790k now with a gtx 980 and 24 gb ram with 2 ssd's for system and games/recording. Im pretty damn sure I'm set for darkfall :D

18. Wozno

Wozno Goblin Warlord
    Legend

But i want 100 fps in sieges damnit! Just got a big stock payout so im up for doing some upgrade, but i still dont wanna go totally bananas.... Nothing i could improve without throwing money away?

Eagleglow likes this.
  19. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Well, the i5-4690K has (on average) 28% better single-core performance than the 2500k, so that would be a significant upgrade for darkfall specifically, but you'll need a motherboard upgrade to go along with it, cause your mobo is a 67 variant, which only supports sandy bridge.

The stats on the skylake cpus are a bit sketchy. Some of the benchmarks show very little gain, while others show a difference of 40+% on single core performance. Honestly, I don't fuckin' know yet lol

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-2500K

see, the cinebench has the 2500k beat by 60%, 8k vs 5k, but then the passmark difference is negligible. This seems to be a recurring theme when comparing the two. It might just come down to some software utilizing the newer features of the 6600k, but we KNOW darkfall isn't going to be utilizing those features, so the safe bet is that an upgrade to skylake isn't worth it for darkfall (at this time)

#79 Inositol, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  20. Mortimer

Mortimer Deadeye

Do it for release, better technology, current one cheaper. For alpha/beta test your current set up

Wozno likes this.