Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

'Dat Grind

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stormsblade, May 7, 2017.

1. Stormsblade

Stormsblade Goblin Warlord

Nothing quite like the reality of the killer grind to smack my hype and anticipation for Darkfall back down to earth.

Lemme just kill hundreds more akathars for a couple gains in archery, so I might finally do more than 15 damage to a 400 hp mount zooming away from me in PvP.

And that's just one of a dozen or more skills I need for "viability."
    --- Post updated ---
    What's worse is that later into the game's life cycle we expect new players to do this basically solo.

At least in Unholy Wars, as a newb friendly clan, I was able to bring a newb to duneshapers and get them able to meaningfully contribute in PvP, with serious ability to sway fights, in a few hours flat.

Anyone else remember when the elite pvpers got together and wrekt face on 20k prowess chars?

Beasty, Scrapnotcrap and NonFactor like this.
  2. Fenris

Fenris Celestial
    Hero

"Oh no I have to level up in a MMORPG, why?! WHY !?!!? TELL ME WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!??!!?"

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Ogrinn, Lucan, Copperfield and 18 others like this.
  3. Stormsblade

Because a bunch of nerds like you will Q.Q about not having "meaningful character progression" if I didn't.

In reality most just want to feel stronk beating on the nabs that grind less.

4. Showbiz

Showbiz Goblin Scout
    Hero

Go back to frostfell.

Code and MerleisAirdburne like this.
  5. Whisper

Whisper Air Elemental
    ANN Reporter

I, for one, welcome our new reduced grind overlords.

Seriously, I progressed more in two hours than I did in a week back in 2009 DFO at launch.

6. Crunchbert

Crunchbert Undead Dwarf

Its an mmo... If you can get max stats in 3 days then you end up with nobody doing anything but waiting for pvp in teamspeak.

I'd say with diminishing returns and reduced grind time and stuff its not too bad.

7. Stormsblade

Who said anything about max stats?
    How about 75% stats in 1 day, and 100% in one year?

I'm not even saying that you should shoot up to 50 strength in 30 minutes of grinding.

Just move 75% of the grinded damage and stat benefits to new characters.

Then you can have your character progression, but new players or grind averse players can enjoy the game too, albeit without fancy spells and abilities.

8. Garou Lintermittent

Garou Lintermittent Goblin Shaman
    Hero

New players will have it easy, they've got nectar of the gods and spells scrolls to rely on once those drop in value. You'll be pvp viable in a weekend.

Count Morris, Forgotten and Fengor like this.
  9. Stormsblade

Man. I'm not even 15% of the way to PvP viability and I spent hours grinding.

What's a reasonable amount of grinding to some people is an uninstall button to others. The trick isn't to make the tedium required only a couple dozen hours - It's to make it still beneficial but not necessary.

My clan is a 30+ yo sexy dude with a wife and two kids, a 24ish yo sexy dude with a wife and a newborn, and a 25 yo lawyer with his own practice.

You're telling us to go back to WoW. In reality we'll just go back to PubG.

10. QuasiDoc

QuasiDoc Goblin Warrior

Honestly id prefer it t be even more of a grind - Say 3 days for 25% 1 month for 50% 6 months for 75% and one year for 100%

I think something along those lines would create less of a gap between players and make the game more challenging. Its really sad to as i read threads like this that want less grind so they can enjoy end-game pvp within a few days or 'why cant i attack new player zones without being one shot by towers' whaaa... You all pride yourselves on "hardcore" but want a easy road to get there? pft

Dixie Normus and Swing like this.
  11. Fengor

Fengor Obsidian Golem

Lmao @Clarence Swamptown @Scrubby Bear this guys idea of difficult is 30 years old with two kids. He doesn't even kind of know.

#11 Fengor, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
  12. Stormsblade

Yeah, let's cater to the same 1000 people playing Darkfall in 2012.

There were 5000 subs last night.
    How many can you lose to bull crap like this before your game is dead and empty again?

Beasty likes this.
  13. Bloodscar

Bloodscar Cairn Giant
    Legend

@Stormsblade What is your ideal leveling speed? Just curious to get a variety of feedback on the specific times you would want to go from 1-75 or something along those lines.

We have reduced the grind considerably and added in front loading/scribing and many other ways to help new players become viable quicker.

14. QuasiDoc

QuasiDoc Goblin Warrior

Nectar of the gods does not make you pvp viable against veterans of the game who are already rocking r20/r50 gear and know how to focus their stat growth. The notion that new players can come in and compete in a single week is silly.

15. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

You know I don't even play this and you still sound whiny as fuck to me.

Just saying....

16. Stormsblade

See below.

Same grind to unlock skills.
    New player firing his bow does 75% of the damage as a player with Max stats, but he doesn't have the bunny hop, self buffs, shield disable, etc.

17. Crunchbert

Crunchbert Undead Dwarf

Just go destroyer, is still grindy but theres less grind then going mage.

Standing in a pvp zone on a max stats character waiting for someone else looking for pvp to come fight isnt hardcore. (aka runescape. A not hardcore game). Hardcore is the ability to get fights anywhere when you dont expect it. Even if its near a safe zone.

18. Rimamok

Rimamok Spellgazer
    Legend

@OP: As Bloodscar notes, Front-Loading is in place. So if your stat is at 50, for example, then it's at 75% of the maximum power. Once you have a stat to 75, it's at 96% of maximum power.

DND also does this, and I consider it a less-than-optimal system because new players will not actually KNOW this is the way things work. As this very thread shows.

I think a much better system would simply to have kept everything linear, but make the progression TIME have "Front-Loading", So 25 stats in an hour, 50 stats in 1 day, 75 stats in 3 days, 90 stats in 2 weeks, 95 stats in 2 months, 98 stats in 1 year, etc etc.

With such a system players would FEEL that the grind is actually much faster, and not have to go on someone else's word that some magical mysterious Front Loading is in place that makes everything all better.

19. inDef

inDef Dire Zombie
    Legend

I wish there was a down-vote feature so we could bury toxic posts/people like this guy.

Mork Deeork, Owyn Magnus and Fengor like this.
  20. Shaocoo123

Shaocoo123 Goblin Scout

Ugh im kinda on the fence for this, ive already grinded the fk out of 2 iterations of Darkfall. The prospect that there is even the smallest amount of grind in this game really turns me off of it. Ive said it forever.... DF isnt about the ability grind. You can give a person every maxed out skill in the game, and if they have zero equipment (which is already a grind to craft equipment) and zero skill. They are gona get fkn PWNED. So just give everyone every skill... or make it a scroll you read/ do a quest for. But to grind for it... comon. Im 29 now, I have a mortage, a sexy wife that needs banging and dates. Awesome friends that want to do stuff. No one in my position wants to spend hours killing the same shittly rendered monster, when I could be drinking, going for runs, working out, banging the gf, watching netflix. OR Playing another game that gives me the same action quicker. (Crowfall/ Star Citizen which are luckily for RoA still far away.) btw Im no noob I played every darkfall. My name on the Other forums was Viare, my sign up date was like 2004 or some shit. I know my darkfall. and I know why players like us are hard to hold onto. Im gona dl this today just to try it, but honestly, You gotta get rid of the grind unless you want your game to have a tiny population of no lifers.