Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Day1 Feedback

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by darq, May 5, 2020.

1. darq

darq New Member

To post my thoughts before they fade.
    The last 2 weeks I've been playing Fallout76 and Diablo3.
    2 games similar to this one.

What does Diablo 3 have in common with this game?
    When loot drops you have to focus and click, click, click.

What does Fallout76 have in common?
    Very much actually. The 1st and 3rd person perspective.
    Mob camps.
    Weapons with durability.

Anyhow the direct comparison, the memory is fresh so I can tell what the points are that I dislike in Darkfall and tbh also always have.

You've done a good job lessening the stat grind with the rewards and potions.
    Idk if that already was a feature of UW or not.

Apart from the mob AI that apparently has eyes in the back, which also seems to have improved, but still is what it is, e.g. you shoot and the moment you release the mom starts running away from where you shot. Old DF problem.
    But that has also been improved upon since last time I played and it is what it is.

Ok the BIG ISSUE. I'm looking at this game and thinking, "is it fun?", "what is fun, what isn't".
    LOOTING.
    Not fun.
    Playing on 4k everything is super small and I have to be very precise, which requires focus and the whole looting game is just not fun.
    How to make it better?
    Autoloot in PvE.
    With checkboxes.
    [x] loot gold
    [x] loot food
    [x] loot enchanting reagents
    [x] loot weapons
    [x] loot armor
    etc
    I don't even want to open a gravestone, it should loot automatically.

Why am I saying this?
    Meridian59. Idk if you played it, I did back in the day and there is also a "new" client that very much did for Meridian59 what you did for DF, made it more friendly to larger audiences.
    You pressed a key (ctrl) to attack, the mob would drop items, you would have to type "get" in chat (or hotkey it) to loot and a dialog would pop up where you select everything you'd like to loot.
    Very tedious, very not fun.
    The "new" client automates this.
    You kill one enemy, gold and reagents are automatically looted.
    The gained fun is noticeable. Tedium begone hello fun.
    For PvE in DF that would absolutely improve the fun factor and get rid of a really annoying, tedious, repeatitive task.

Gathering and crafting, great. No more 15 minutes of afk to harvest 1 node. Good change, very good.

Then, I've never been to the human lands before so I felt like I'm really exploring stuff. Old ruins and so on, until I realized.. that great gate is just for show, there is nothing there. That ruin has skeletons at least and some zombies, but it's all the same 4-5 mobs that spawn and you hack them to death again and wait for the next wave. I know, there's only so much possible with a small crew, I don't expect it to change, but you know... there's this large gate in a mountain and you'd expect SOMETHING, "this gate can't be openend" or that the gate can actually be opened and you journey into the mountain down into the darkness and fight mobs and maybe some little story there. Instead, nothing.
    Just grind and in the end fight vs other players. Well there are other games, and you don't have to grind there. Grind can be fun if it's done right. But I believe it's also one of the reasons why it failed, the grind wasn't fun and there was no content. Yeah you can say whatever, "sandbox" blah blah but in the end, yeah I don't like WoW but apart from it being available to everyone with even bad outdated computers, a younger friend of mine actually fell for the story. The game had a story, lore. Just like I fell in love with the Everquest universe back then, the lore was really fantastic and the quests had interesting stories. Go into some ruins, talk to some ghost, try to find his buddies and bring back items for the priest's guild etc. Good stuff. You were on an adventure. And just because I like a good story doesn't mean that I have to not like PvP. Or just because I like PvP doesn't mean that I'm aggro all the time and don't like a good romance. So yeah filling the world with some lore would've been great. A little side story to that teleporter on the mountain that leads to the dwarves and their ingots down there, something like that.
    Buy me flowers and whisper sweet nothings in my ear ;)

In Fallout76, when that Super Mutant shoots me with a missile launcher, and I kill that Super Mutant, I can loot the missile launcher he shot me with. Why not in Darkfall?
    Why, when I fight a Goblin Warlord that hits like a truck (day 1 here, remember, no R6 weapons etc) and I loot it, it has a R1 weapon... and not even the same he struck me with.

And along with that, the tiered progression of DF.
    Example, Goblins.
    Scouts are weak
    Then Fighters are a little tougher,
    Marauders are even more tough, but warlords are a battle for life and death, running healing, stam to health etc. And then you kill one of those super tough warlords and they drop... the same as a marauder, maybe a bit more gold.
    It has improved I have to admit, original DF was _| steps t1 mobs t2 mobs t3 mobs t4 mobs and every step required better gear and more attributes and skills. This goblin progression is better but hey I'm sitting at 80 all attributes more or less, they should be no trouble, but hey are because my gear is terrible. What I'm trying to say the tiered progression should be more linear.

And now with 80 in all attributes that leaves me at still having to grind crafting. Because idk where to buy some good player made weapons and armor and I really am not playing the game to craft. Of course everyone plays their own way.
    Which leads me back to looting being a PITA.
    F76's way of looting is also a good way, scroll with the mouse wheel through a list of items and take what you need.

I had one more point but it's 6am and I'm tired and old and forget what it was.
    I had issues with sound, as if it's corrupted or some buffer acting up. Reduced to 256 polyphony from 512 and it seems to have gone.

I can't remember what it was...

Kol Taggar, Bonii and Billy Lee like this.
  2. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster
    Staff Member BPG Representative Lifetime

Thanks for the detailed feedback! One thing I'd like to point out is that you can purchase gear from other players at the market. Markets are present in all capital cities and player cities. The green button near your minimap can be used to teleport your character to the capital city of Sanguine, take a look at the market while there :)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    darq likes this.
  3. Adam Worth

Adam Worth Goblin Shaman
    Hero

Maybe there is already - but if not - it would be very good to add a quest into the starter quests that takes you to sanguine and shows you the AH. Seen a few new players talking in chat that had not realised they had the capital recal or what was at sanguine.

One was in Elf lands when he was asking so he mustve played a while and just wlked off past sanguine at the start and mever looked back!

Maybe a final link in the quets for the ambrosia potions hould send you to meet the title quest givers in snaguine, making you use captial recal to get there? And mentions the AH.

It seems the logical place to send newbs after they do those quests and herald the start of the game.

Ideally it should explain you have done your service in human lands and outline the objectives of the game. eg. 'you can stand on your own feet now - go out into the world in search of wealth and glory - use the auction house to become a great trader, dominate your foes at villages to become a famed warrior, create a clan and conquer the great cities of agon, cleanse the dungeons, protect the weak or pray on the vulnerable - the choice is yours, your destiny lies in your hands ' etc etc...[With better RP!]

Seems there is a sense among new players of 'what do I do now?' after completing the tutorial quests.

Also think you guys should re-look at the title quests. The quickness one is how they all should be, grind wise it is ok - the mob loot is useful for newbs and very sellable.

the HP one was a total ball ache to do - super grindy against worthless mobs. They should each be with mobs that offer a grip laod of reagenst and cooking materials imo, the madrake and eggs from quick quests is super useful for new players.

#3 Adam Worth, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Blaze, darq and Billy Lee like this.
  4. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

Cool ideas, especially the quest one :)

5. darq

darq New Member

Thanks for feedback.
    I tried the market. Prices are a bit steep :)
    Example R20 weapon on vendor 190 gold.
    R40 weapon (looted, not full condition) on market 900 gold. R60 2000.
    I barely made 4k gold playing on my 1st day.
    Well I spent those 4k gold buying iron ingots and oak wood and am now able to make R10 weapons lol
    Full Plate was.. 10k? for 1 piece, something like that.

The delay in crafting however is not a good thing.
    I wanted to make 38 axes and that would take over 7 minutes. 7 minutes just doing nothing and waiting.
    So I made them 1 by 1, which seemed the time to pass quicker.

Next step will be being able to make banded armor because armor as well is ridiculously expensive on the market.

Seems like only goblins have such a large assortment of items on them and the "weapon not present I'm being attacked with" is also only a goblin thing. At least the Skeleton Warriors actually had the weapon they attacked me with on them.
    But those were Day1 impressions.

Good thing with Freemium, I'm under no pressure to do anything. I can just play at my own pace.

I read about some scripts that make life easier autohotkey, autoit etc. That's allowed?
    Anything to make looting less tedious.

There's an issue with 4k and borderless windowed mode. 2nd time I started the game I was forced to 2560x1440 resolution and had to go fullscreen to be able to play with 3840x2160. The launcher also only lists resolutions up to 2560x1440. That might be the issue.
    It's weird that it set itself to 4k initially despite the launcher's resolution list ending with 2560x1440.

Do you have a public issue tracker? Or is there a way to submit bug reports?

6. Billy Lee

Billy Lee Loremaster

A good way to make gold is to sell crafting materials for crafts that you don't plan to use, materials can fetch a good price.Crafting is faster if you're actually at a crafting station, the crafting menu in gui mode is slower. Looting scripts are allowed. You can file bug reports here on the forums on on the discord.

7. KoKane

KoKane Celestial
    Wealthy

Normally you can right click items to loot graves quicker, but there's a bug currently that presents you with a UI choice to dye armours etc. It's quite annoying.

I think it's good to have graves appear and players need to manually loot the items of value. This presents many opportunities for other things to happen such as players stealing loot or something being missed.. etc
    Though I can understand the tedium for a new player looting wooden shields and cheese slices constantly as lower tier mobs drop a lot of shit

8. Adam Worth

Adam Worth Goblin Shaman
    Hero

To generate enough gold early on to use the market you should focus on selling items there, rather than farming gold from early mobs.

If you look on the market for 'buy orders' you can go farm those items and sell immmediately. For example eggs sell for around 200g each. Try killing some akathars and windlords and sell the mandrake and eggs. There are many items like that if you seach.

Some items are massively overpriced on AH. After some time playing you get a good idea what the real value is of stuff. sometimes you find bargains other times overpriced items on the market. It can become quite a fun game in itself playing the market well.

I wouldn't buy basic resources early game as they are quite highly priced. You can chop 1000 wood in an hour but a new player cant farm the 28K gold asking price from newb mobs in the same time. So its bad value. Better for a newb to chop wood a few hours and sell it even maybe?

there are lots of ways to make gold but dont focus on famring pure gold from mobs - focus on famring desirable items to sell to richer players - then you are in the game economically after a few big sales.

Try doing some dungeon quests - like the spiders in winterworth dungeon near sanguine. If you get a lucky reward you can get a 110 stat [potion and sell it for 40-65K. Just one good quest reward sold and you in the game, economically. This dungeon is in peaceful lands so you can even set yourself as peaceful and do the quest in very high safety, just kill 25 spiders whihc are quite easy. All the rewards for these dungeon quests will sell for like 20-70K and they take 10-15 minutes .

Also you can level up your armoursmith craft very fast yourself. Kill some arctic bears for leather with a bow - a spawn right next to the most northern dwarf city ( also drops cooking materials and other useful Q2 enchant mats whihc all sell on market). then hit some nodes and watch tv for a few hours and you will have enough to craft your own plate armor.

Hope that helps. have fun.

#8 Adam Worth, May 7, 2020
    Last edited: May 7, 2020
  9. darq

darq New Member

Not even 1 week has passed and I was griefed by some guy named Samson after dying in a dungeon, walking half across the map, almost dying twice while picking up my stuff, then this asshole comes along in his blue armor, launches a fire spell and then 1 hits me in the back.
    You know. Fuck this community. Day 1 was cool but in between all I read in the chat was some penis measuring contests.
    And now newbie griefing by some asshole?
    This game deserves its low population. It feels like there's always the same 50 people online.
    When someone captures villages or w/e they're called it's always the same 3-4 names that show up.
    No one is going to waste their time getting griefed.
    This alignment system is a joke too.
    If you kill an innocent you should become a murderer, not just lose some alignment points.
    Anyhow fuck this. I wouldn't recommend anyone to play here, unless they really have no life.
    Any sane person will leave, as I did now.
    Shit server

10. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Ghost
    Wealthy Legend

Died once to pvp and raged harder than most people who die 100 times. Game isn’t for you fella. Try playing WoW.

11. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Dying in a popular dungeon is not being griefed. And it was a lawful zone so only backpack was lost.

Blaze likes this.
  12. Atticus Killbane

Atticus Killbane Skeleton Archer
    Loyal Tester

he'll be back