Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Destroyer Changes

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by kilrath81, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Invincible Execution

Invincible Execution Varangian Warthane
    Hero

It's not balanced at all. I don't see the point in debating it because both sides have their line drawn in the sand and nobody is going to budge. The only thing I can say is that the majority of elite players don't play destroyer. If statistics prove anything it's that there is a major disparity in power.

Magos and kilrath81 like this.
  2. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

What elite players do you claim to represent or know about?

3. Invincible Execution

Hero

Let's see, The Flash, Gotja Again, Average Atbest, those 3 are considered to be the best and none of them are destroyer.That's just players off the top of my head. We can also see videos of Anomaly wrecking everyone as mage and then getting bounced around and blinded and getting 100 to 0'd when he tried destroyer, without even being able to fight back by one of those 3 guys, I forget who it was. Destroyers getting owned 24/7 in pvp videos and the destroyer videos are very unimpressive comparitively. The destroyer playters are good, fengor, jedi mind, etc, but the build can't do nearly as much as mage.

I'm not sure how this is even a debate. Also, I know for a fact that some of the devs think destroyer is underpowered, so you can expect some changes that go against your stance.

4. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

Your talking about people that are solo and need to run a lot. Mage IS better for disengaging and running and arguably better for general solo play. Also, Average AtBest is an auzzie with high ping and that makes destroyer not really a viable play style for him.

The best player to ever play the game was Itwas Luck who played exclusively destroyer. He was significantly worse as a mage. Destroyer is even stronger in this version than it was in DFO so he would be even better now if it wasn't for his ping being significantly higher due to the server location.

Half of the Blackwater siege force tends to be destroyer. We would have more but we try to keep the ratio between mage/destroy 1:1 for easier buff others.

5. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Legend Lifetime

I play mostly solo or with maybe one or two people. I dont want to be a mage, i get ass stomped every time a hybrid or mage sees me. Destroyer needs the resists and should get no encumbrance to archery.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Invincible Execution likes this.
  6. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

You definitely have a distorted view of 'the best'. The Flash is the only one that belongs on that list.

There's no point in comparing destro to hybrid/mage. It's a class and it doesn't belong in this game.

7. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Legend Lifetime

This isnt DFO... i think people are forgetting that. This is ROA and whatever BPG puts in the game is what belongs in it.

8. Aristos Giannes

Hero

Right, they didn't put in destro, AV did that. Some of the devs are talking about removing it altogether thank god.

9. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Legend Lifetime

lol, one guy says they think its under powered, another guy says its being removed lol.

10. Aristos Giannes

Hero

I said some WANT to remove it. That's different than 'being removed'. They agree it's imbalanced and would be pretty much impossible to balance anyways because it's a class in a classless game. I've said this so many times and you still don't seem to get it. It's not 'under' or 'over' powered. It's a playstyle that relies on abusing a gimmick. And it's a gimmick that you might not even be able to get off once in a fight if the other guy just melees you back. It was a dumb idea to balance warriors to begin with. Just go heavy hybrid.

11. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Legend Lifetime

i like the melee playstyle and the tanky type dudes in the games i play, so hopefully they just tweak it to make it more viable with hybrids.

12. Invincible Execution

Hero

All of your points are accurate but I have something to say in retort. Itwas Luck was the best player imo as well but he could see through blinds and was the best bunnyhopper in the history of the game. He was able to make destroyer work with 20 ping ,immunity to blinds, and the ability to escape practically at will. He was able to do it but very few others were able to back then. Jedi Mind did quite well and even used a polearm, and there were a small amount of others that pulled it off at the highest levels. But I think you have to agree that back then destroyer was barely played and it was mostly played by weaker players.

Nowadays destroyer is much stronger than in dfo, I won't argue that. I think destroyer is fine in sieges as long as you have mages buffing and healing you. It definitely has a place in the game, I'm not saying it doesn't, but in a 1v1 scenario I feel that destroyer is the weakest of the viable options. Even if we assume that destroyer vs mage is perfectly balanced, once it becomes 2v2 the team with the mage wins due to haste, rapid shot, and iron skin. In other words, unless you are an absolute god you generally need someone supporting you as destroyer.

Another thing to consider is the exorbitant costs of a competitive destroyer bag. The average player can only afford to wear plate and does not use any enchanted gear. Destroyer really begins to shine when someone is wearing infernal+, which is what your siege force does. In my opinion that does not prove that destroyer is on par with mage, it just proves that it may be on par or better if the player can afford an expensive siege bag. I don't think that's a good way for the game to be, everyone should have equal or similar expenses and be able to pick the build they like, whether it be for 1v1 or a siege. I don't expect everyone to share that opinion but that's how I see it, especially in a game with such limited build vartiety.

kilrath81 likes this.
  13. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Legend Lifetime

They call it a sandbox pvp game, then tell you your play style shouldn't be in the game and to play the meta or shut up.

14. RagnarokDel

RagnarokDel Frostjarl
    Hero

I think you forgot to mention the: "There is no cow level" cheat code.

Between that and Mage Hunter, I dont think that's a good idea. If you know how to use it, indestructible is super strong.

What would be really useful for indestructible is that 1. Inde starts playing again (absolutely unrelated, just miss the dude) and 2. mounts get the bonus as well, or maybe they just add armor for mounts because they're super weak to mobs atm.

sushi baby

I dont mean to be an asshole but godamnit, I speak french, It's my god given right and duty to be one.

Have you ever considered that maybe you are just bad? I'm not claiming to be good, I'm not claiming that you're bad but if you die every time against a mage, it might just be that you run at them with a melee weapon out like a headless chicken until you die. I'm bad now (more then before!) but I used to do perfectly fine as a mage against destroyers, wait for it!

Without using fire magic. /french

#74 RagnarokDel, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  15. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Legend Lifetime

I always get jumped farming a mob or hitting a node. so its WOF, debuffs and nukes. Its litterally 10 seconds from the time they WOF me to the time im on the ground.

16. Invincible Execution

Hero

You are right. Wof is extremely broken, even most of the people that say mage vs destroyer is balanced will agree about that. Right now you can battlespike out of it but that's being removed, so it is a pretty big problem.

17. Buffalo Spaceman

Buffalo Spaceman Frostjarl
    Hero

The single most important reason for more people not being destro is gear.

You need 1-3 pieces of good armor and a cobra for a good mage bag.

You need 8-10 good pieces of armor, a good staff, a good now, a good 2hander for a good destro bag. Personally it's the only reason I don't play destro.

18. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Legend Lifetime

Gear is the other thing. these hybrids runa round with bone and a peice or two of heavier armor all enchanted to the hilt and i have to be in full plate to last more then a few seconds. THEN i die to a group lose the full plate and cant afford another bag. If destros need to pony up that kind of gear they damn well should be more powerful then hybrid or mage. That heavier gear should allow me to take a good number of hits. Ive been hit for over 60 through my armor by mages.

19. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

@Invincible Execution
    Your response leads me to believe that you never watched my destro vid. Go watch it. I wear plate/r50's for most of it and can manage most fights easier than I'm capable as a mage.

The fight I lost to Gotja was because of how stupid Come Hither is/was. As destro, it's actually very hard for someone like me to lose(by me, I'm specifically referencing my bow aim and neglecting melee transitions and statting).

Destro is NOT underpowered and it never has been. It's always been in a very nice spot for people capable of reaching a certain individual "skill" ceiling. The gear cost and farming capability are the prohibitive parts of destro and need to be adjusted accordingly - either from the mage side or specialization side.

The Law likes this.
  20. Invincible Execution

Hero

Honestly, as much as I love playing destro I think the game would be better without it. It was a lazy bandaid fix by AV that kinda worked but still had lots of flaws. It's better now than before but this game really needs a more balanced and fleshed out system, picking between a handful of builds is honestly pretty terrible.

Magos likes this.