Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Destroyer - Tips, Tricks, Advice

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Tricks' started by Sevenzx, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Sevenzx

Sevenzx Goblin Warrior
    Tester

Would appreciate some experienced Destro players posting some advice on Destro in general. There's a great thread on keybinds by Clarence Swamptown, now I'd appreciate some advice and tips and tricks related to gearing up, fighting mages, group fighting, etc.

2. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Just don't get discouraged when mages poopy u down in duels, destroyer is tough in a 1 on 1 duel scenario. You shine in group fights and in dungeons where you can close easier. As for pvp tips I can't help you just yet as I'm still learning, was a magic nerd in dfo now I'm learning destro

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Sero likes this.
  3. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

I'm extremely new to the game. But I was told by other players to close the distance as soon as you can and get in melee. Since Mages/Hybrids will want to always be casting there rays and knockups. That's your chance to do as much dmg with melee. Don't forget to use your begone to gap close more so then for escape. Shooting them with a bow is good and all, but if you fight a mage at range you're most likely going to lose. While I been dueling my hybrid friends I like to bow them while moving in closer when they're casting their utility/transfers. Other then that I combat strafe (hold W and aim my mouse left and right as if I was A/D strafing but instead holding W and looking right or left). Same thing just one style is more movement speed then the other, and less easy to get hit if done well. Then when their finished doing their healing rotation and begoning themselves to create distance. I try and begone slightly after they do so I'm still right behind them without being at range for too long of a period of time.

Siege and stickyback is two things I need to get personally get better at. Also while in a WoF or in a juggle, pull out your shield and block. Most people instantly cast their rays or their other juggle to keep it going. Not a lot of people do a disable shot. But idk, could just depend on the skill of your opponent. Siege destroyer I'm very inexperienced and the only siege I've been in I was throwing more heals then fighting since my stats are on the low side. Lastly the turn stickyback to me just sounds like try and be behind them as much as you can. But I personally feel like there's more to it and I have to be doing something wrong. Since I personally suck at it and can never get back hits in a melee exchange unless they fuck up, or try and run away.

One thing to note, I've only dueled other clan mates and this is my very first Darkfall experience. I just started learning the game from Rise of Agon release. So take what I say with a grain of salt, it's just my personal experiences of what I've learned so far.

Banked, Fengor, grishfap and 3 others like this.
  4. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

Stickybacking is one of the hardest things in the game against a skilled opponent. Takes a lot of practice, one missed melee swing can easily mean the result of a 1 on 1 engagement.

5. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

So far when I'm in melee I'm pretty much spamming to land a swing. Most of them hit ofc since I'm not terribad. But while reading what you posted it almost seems as if you hold your attack swing until your certain you will hit. Since it costs stam to swing and you want to be sprinting to try and get on the back of your opponent.

6. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

No reason to spam anything in darkfall, when I would teach people how to play back in the day the first thing I would tell them is to slow everything down, speed can come later. Watch miasmas vid dude kills it on melee tracking

7. sky

sky Undead Dwarf
    Benefactor

if you can hit your arrows, dont forget that keeping archery encumberance low and landing your shots is a viable strategy.

you can almost always outdps a mage 1v1 if you hit 90% of your arrows with low encumberance, at this stage of the game anyway.

strangereligion likes this.
  8. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

If you have the right gear and they miss one of their blinds/knockups.

Just like in warfare of old you are most vulnerable when you have your back turned running away, learn good squirreling it will help you in duels against mages but until you have the right gear I wouldn't rely on a duel with a maxed mage as a good indicator of the viability of the class.

9. strangereligion

strangereligion Akathar
    Streamer ANN Reporter

Wear leather or banded cheap(ish) armor but carry decent weapons like R40-50 when possible. Stickybacking and switching to your bow is incredibly important. Hitting them with an arrow while they have their back to you and you have MageHunter means you're doing about 30-40dmg and it slightly knocks them back giving you time to keep sprinting and get in melee range.

Getting your shield up and double jumping is also super useful but it's mostly experience that will win the day. The majority of mages at this point do not use disable so be sure you take advantage of that and try not to give them your back. A ray in the back could shift the entire fight.

The second I take damage in open world or a dungeon I'm pulling my shield out and blocking or begoning to a safe distance and if it looks like a really strong mage I might just mount up and leave immediately. You don't need to win every engagement. Trust me.

10. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

are we playing the same game

Fengor, Sique and Zeiken like this.
  11. Zeiken

Zeiken Undead Dwarf

What? what destro uses mage hunter?. Leather and Banded??

Seriously lol

12. strangereligion

strangereligion Akathar
    Streamer ANN Reporter

Oops i meant if you're broke af. If you got money to blow, plate or full plate hahahaha. I use Mage Hunter. It's a viable option esp when sieging and magic is flying everywhere.

13. Lincoln Hawk

Lincoln Hawk Fire Elemental
    Legend

Alot of you need to start utilizing all the tools you have available to you.

Mounted Combat- Stupid strong, especially with the new mounts.
    Battlespike Hopping
    Shielding- Use it all the time, when blind, knocked up, in a wof etc.
    Insect swarm- Havent come across one destroyer using this yet
    Burden- Probably the worst debuff to hit a mage with if you can pull it off.
    Unburden before full heal cycles.
    Double Whirlwind- level another weapon for it.
    Rage- Use it, grants a massive boost to elemental protections and a solid heal.
    Potions- Hit them often, easy stat gains.

Gear- Work towards better gear, while mages have been spending hundreds of thousands of gold grinding, you have had a fuck ton of time to get stacked cash, people are selling, if you have to pay a little over the odds its worth it.

Full plate, arcane jewellery, r50+ weapons, Panacea potions etc.

Enchants- Things like fire protection, especially if you are rocking solo more, elf slayer to do more damage to all the try hards, look at the list and pick for yourself.

Also https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChi01oR3CNEnrUabCTuQvNg

Watch and learn, there isnt actually an excuse as nothing but buffs have been given to this playstyle since BPG took over, mounts, fast weapon choices, new staffs, no fizzles etc etc etc.

#13 Lincoln Hawk, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Fengor, Grimtide, Orak and 3 others like this.
  14. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Land your bow shots. Don't suck dick at melee. Know when to parry. Know how to stat while being offensive. etc etc

Dufer likes this.
  15. Frazierbro

Frazierbro New Member

why not use mage hunter/killer as a destro?

16. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

Did he mean to put Mage Killer and not hunter? Becuz I have mage killer as a destro, isn't that what your suppose to have? And I use full scale or half plate for the moment with r40's.

When you say parry, your only talking about using parry with a shield right? Or do you mean also parrying with ur 2h?

17. WyLd_SyDe

WyLd_SyDe Spellgazer
    Legend

not saying animal isn't a good player but most of those kids were throwing 1 blind a fight, panicking and just generally being retarded. just don't get discouraged in a 1 on 1 scenario, that's not really what destroyer is about, not saying it can't be done but definitely not right away and not until you get some serious skills. in the beginning work on picking your engagements, learning stat management, and learning good movement habits. melee is your bread and butter to start as well, i am smfc in csgo, can probably hang with 99% of people in the world in quake and have played fps since i was 8 years old and am only decent at archery, it takes a lot of practice. melee skills are more bang for your buck when starting, as a matter of fact if you become above average in melee you will be in the top 10% of destroyers right there. you don't really have the gear/stats available to make archery really viable for you yet. start with the basics and work your way up, and don't get discouraged. it is absolutely viable, before luck enyx made a destroyer vid and proved to everyone how dangerous it was. watch luck's vids if you want to see someone who mastered the art, he was definitely in agon's top 5 most dangerous for a long time (including mages).

18. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Lmfao

19. Killa162

Killa162 Crypt Guard

LMAO

I can do it too.

20. merkmerk73