Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Did this happen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by betalpha, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Avarious

Avarious Wildtribe Mage
    Supporter

If we just pay attention to that one stream by him he put out of a video which has plenty of comments of people wanting to try the game or with comments"this game actually looks really cool" The stream he did will have lasting affects just like this video.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Fengor and STDIO like this.
  2. Clarence Swamptown

Clarence Swamptown Black Knight
    Legend

2 things. First, as he said, some people wouldn't pay 10$ to sub an alt (or even a main), but have no problem farming the gold. So you are wrong, it is not only future sales, they are also selling subs that they would never have sold without this system. Second, if they are not dumb and manage their finances correctly, it doesn't matter if they receive the money now or in 6 months.

WyLd_SyDe and Fengor like this.
  3. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

You must be a troll. It's always better to get money in advance rather than later. Of course if BPG gets a surge in people buying subs that aren't being used and then they act like that is the normal monthly income and start paying more employees then they will have issues later on. You're basically saying, "if BPG makes bad financial decisions then they will be in a bad financial spot". This has nothing to do with GTT.

Imrys likes this.
  4. Anthrax

Anthrax Goblin Warlord

Obviously it's pointless to continue with any business discussion here.

I'll just leave the thread saying anyone who believes this is a good financial decision for BPG is black and white wrong.

5. Avarious

Avarious Wildtribe Mage
    Supporter

Up front money (assumed managed responsibly and intelligently ) for a game company just allows for more important impactful changes to possibly quickly coming into the game. Perhaps in the form of employ a new dev.. etc etc.. I still stick with having a way to purchase game time in game for gold or items opens the game to a larger player base and potentially gives less fuel to the "game should be f2p " crowd since it gives individuals a chance in playing the game without spending any hard earned dollars past the first 10.

I suppose it will also lets more alts enter the game... that's still more money in the pocket of the company which is all around good for the game.

6. TryHard

TryHard Varangian Warthane
    Legend

Many games like EVE / WoW and others have this exact same system to combat gold sellers....

Fengor likes this.
  7. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

Waiting for one good reason why it shouldn't exist.

Fengor, Fawley and Kalos like this.
  8. Check Mate

Check Mate Stormgraive

In wow at least blizzard ends up getting more money than a typical sub. Basically game time tokens are $20, someone gives you gold and redeems it for a sub that's normally $15.

Is that how it's set up here? Or is BPG only getting the even sub amount?

9. TryHard

Legend

I believe GTT is the same cost as a month sub. From what I see in the nithron shop the GTT would cost 10.00 and a month sub is 9.99 so no real difference(Unless you buy the larger coin package then you save money and can technically buy them cheaper)

I feel like the P2W complainers do not understand that the people who want to buy gold will do it one way or another, this just allows BPG to get paid instead of a third party.

10. Fawley

Fawley Infernal
    Legend

Reminds me to a lesser degree the huge controversy that was the Diablo 3 Real Money Auction House where people were absolutely freaking the fuck out that you could sell and buy items for real money. Little did all the idiots that were "huge" diablo fans know that people were doing that in Diablo 2 since the game launched. Blizzard just tried to make it official instead of pretending like it didn't happen and the community back lashed because "mah integrity".

The lesson learned there was that people are idiots and there are some things you have to hide. GTT are not one of those things you should hide.

WyLd_SyDe, Fengor and Sero like this.
  11. WithoutShame

WithoutShame Celestial
    Supporter

Letting people buy subscriptions for real money, and then sell them in game for gold, is absolutely pay to win.

However, pay to win is not just a yes or no option, there are different scales. For instance, Eve has the same thing, and I don't remember ever seeing complaints about this pay to win feature in the game. On the opposite side of the spectrum, you have a game like Archeage, which has an economy completely based around pay to win options from their cash shop.

As long as BPG limits the pay to win option to only be game subscriptions, it should be beneficial to the game. It will allow more people who wouldn't necessarily be able to afford paying for the game every month to play it. An increase in population is absolutely a good thing for this game. While it could be argued that some might quit the game because they are upset that people can pay to win by selling subscriptions, I believe that the amount that would leave is far smaller then the amount that would be gained.

TL;DR: Shits fine, just don't add any other pay to win bullshit to the store.

WyLd_SyDe likes this.
  12. STDIO

STDIO Gravelord
    Legend

ITT: people don't know what pay to win actually means

13. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Yea people are freaking out for nothing here.

Let me get something straight. I fucking HATE pay to win games. Noobshits whi suck spending miney for free shit is stupid imo. They shouldnt play the game if they arent going to ACTUALLY play the game, breaking an economy around P2W ruins the game.

Luckily this is a happy median, I recognize not everyone has time to grind as much as some of us. This option keeps people in game with subs, and keeps the economy flowing. This item does nothing to benefit ur character other than allow you to play it longer.

As long as the line is drawn here, and actual P2W items dont come into play im ok with this.

All we need now is a 14 day free trial and people will start pouring in.

#73 Sero, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Rath TNT likes this.
  14. Veeshan

Veeshan Crypt Guard

Pay to give others? :p

15. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

in eve you can absolutely buy GTC and trade it for game currency and then use that currency to buy a powerful character (this isnt even against the eve ToS)

its not considered p2w because in eve flying a more powerful ship doesnt necessarily mean you will be more successful. it just changes the nature of what you can do, it changes the nature of your role in a fleet

i had extremely "high leveled" characters in eve but i still enjoyed flying the most basic ships like interceptors every day

DF on the other hand is a bit different because gold directly translates into fight performance via scrolls and weapons/armor - not that this is a bad thing because it helps to level the field for a player who doesnt have as much time available to grind rather than giving them an advantage

#75 mybsurchin, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  16. Bladra

Bladra Chosen of Khamset
    Tester Contributor

Uh
    I can tell you over the last 10 years and in various guilds that there is alot of RMT that occurs in df. Believe what you will but duel tokens were the smartest move BPG has ever made.

Not only do the get to not can the sellers/buyers but now the profit off of it.

17. damond5031

damond5031 New Member

You guys are focusing too much on the gold angle, sure there will be alot of gold being traded for the coins but that is just a small part of the picture. This game is really grindy and of course people are going to be using the coin trade to skip the grind to obtain their goals. People are going to want the things that are really hard to get- high level armor-weapons and now the big one....housing. Awesome weapons-armor and housing are in no way easily obtainable by anyone that doesnt have a massive amount of time to spend farming. Furthermore, many of the materials for these items are scarce and only come in any great quantity from a relatively few sources. This is where the poopsock community comes into play. The poopsockers are going to totally dominate any rare resource that exists in the game, they are going to sit on them 24/7 and basically make it impossible for the normal player to obtain them in any way other than the coin trade. Want the materials for a house? That will be 3 coins. Want a supply of high end weapons and armor? Hand over the coins. The value of gold is going to drop considerably as more of it flows out from those with massive pockets to those that are able to buy coins- soon gold will play no part in high level trades, it will be coins or nothing. Before long the folks that belong to whoever the dominate clans are that control the rare recources will have enough coins to last for years, at this point (if the game is popular enough to warrant it) they will begin selling the coins to outside parties for real cash, who then will in turn sell the game time coins to players for less than the devs of this game offer them for. You will see ten dollar coins being sold for 5 on outside sites. Look for the devs of this game to cut loot drops by mobs to lower levels to increase the grind to high dollar items, to help the move to coin trading along. Basically you are going to have a relatively few people acting as gear-housing sellers for real cash in place of the devs actually doing it.

18. mybsurchin

mybsurchin Celestial

what you're describing isnt a problem with coins, it's a problem with localized rare resources

19. TryHard

Legend

The GTT are not P2W in any aspect, especially in this full loot game. If you buy gold and then buy gear and die you simply just gave it all to someone else.... How does buying gold in anyway help you win lol???

Massive games like Eve Online and World of Warcraft have adopted this style of subscription system, in fact I think Eve had an actual economist work on their system so you literally have no argument whatsoever, do some research maybe.

People will buy gold no matter what.

With this system BPG is paid instead of a 3rd party company..... you are either trolling or simply haven't thought this through at all.

20. qvq

qvq Goblin Shaman

To follow this up will say this:

I gamed with tusal in eve the guy paid by ccp with game time codes. He had ridiculous wealth and funded entire alliances ship replacement funds giving an advantage but not game breaking.