Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Disable jumping during whirlwind

Discussion in 'Game Design Discussion' started by MikeJT, Aug 28, 2017.

1. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

A whirlwind is essentially a jump and jumping during whirlwind cancels the whirlwind animation.

Whirlwind should be treated like a small jump with the associated loss of control of a jump.

Likewise, you shouldn't be able to start a whirlwind in a jump/whilst falling.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I see where you're coming from but I really like the feel of combat atm. I like sticking people who whirl-jump out of melee with a ray. There's a lot of back and forth mind games in Darkfall and one is choosing to parry out of your whirlwind or ray the opponent.

3. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

I think it just gives a free hit too much. Especially when people start chaining WWs.

If you want to get that free hit then you should gimp your control for a split second.

Whirlwind should be used when there's multiple opponents in reach, not for easy hits.

And to be honest it just looks stupid to see the WW animation cancel mid way.

Even just locking jumping whilst maintaining control would make the game look a lot better.

4. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

why? looks? lol

5. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

It would make the game look more polished.

Animation interruptions look ridiculous.

6. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

There is animation cancelling in tons of games which adds another "skill ceiling" to improve on and perfect, even though darkfalls animation cancel in that specific scenario is very easy to achieve.

Scrubby Bear and Reptar like this.
  7. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Animation cancels are simply a form of exploit. If they were intended they would be put into the game intentionally.

Eg. Gears of War fast reload mechanics.

Finding a way to gain an advantage through exploiting an unintended animation glitch just makes you an exploiter.

It's a product of lazy game development and not performing checks before starting a new animation.

8. Super Star

Super Star Oak Lord
    Legend

i guess a majority of games in existence with multi-million dollar and even billion dollar companies behind them are all just lazy on release and too lazy to fix things even years later

Scrubby Bear likes this.
  9. Gaius_Octavian

Gaius_Octavian Goblin Warrior
    Legend

These "exploits" you're talking about are generally things that define games and make them fun and interesting. If people hadn't figured out how to "exploit" and slide while casting in Asheron's Call, the game would have died years before it did. Just because something wasn't intended by the original developers doesn't mean it is bad for the game.

Scrubby Bear and Grimtide like this.
  10. Synna

Synna Black Knight
    Loyal Patron Legend

this gave it away, but i am very proud of the op, i didnt catch the troll

Scrubby Bear likes this.
  11. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Happy accidents happen.

12. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

its not always a bug. ESO animation cancel f.e. is intentional. alot of builds esp. 1h+shield ones rely entirely on your ability to consistently pull off heavy attack+style+bash combos. ZOS has nerfed specific parts of those combos alot but they have never touched the canceling mechanic itself.

13. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I wouldn't call it an exploit and people don't do the 2nd jump because of the animation. Whirlwind registers what it's going to hit the moment you activate it and where you activate it so jumping or seeing the animation doesn't matter.

The 2nd jump is usually to assess, ray and/or parry. That 2nd jump also just maintains that momentum as they "whirlwind out"

Lucan and Grimtide like this.
  14. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Animation canceling and animation transitions are two different things.

For example, in the game I made for my first semester project in my game design course, you could combo attacks if you clicked at the right time.

Animation A lead into animation B, as aimation B was simply a continuation of animation A, but animation A would return to idle if you didn't combo at the right time.

An intended game mechanic.

Personally I think it'd look a lot better if the animation didn't cancel, even if we could still jump mid whirlwind, but I do think the inability to jump during a whirlwind would make it look even better.

Right now it just looks amateurish. Like some of the things my classmates did in our first semester.

There's plenty of anim bugs in Darkfall and cleaning them up would make the game look so much more professional.

Take the mount stam bug and the mount animation bug, and the fact your mount can drain stam whilst its sitting there playing the sprint animation a 1/100th speed with no one on it.

15. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

not saying your wrong about DF animations but the thing i described about ESO is animation canceling.

its a relatively complex system that can be used in various ways.

16. Reptar

Reptar Fire Elemental
    Legend

You are so fucking stupid it hurts me Mike.

RootedOak, Scrubby Bear and Numb like this.
  17. Numb

Numb Skeleton Archer
    Hero

You're doing great Mike. Keep the focus on the combat mechanics.
    --- Post updated ---
    Delete this thread please. This guy obviously doesn't duel enough. You can bait the WW easily OR punish them when they double jump.

RootedOak and Scrubby Bear like this.
  18. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

No Darkfall's animation cancel for whirlwind isn't an exploit. It doesn't actually give you any sort of advantage.

In other games where there's a way to cancel the animation that isn't intended that gives you an advantage, then yes it is an exploit.

The primary issue with the animation cancellation for whirlwind in Darkfall is that it looks retarded.

Serious amateur hour stuff going on.

Either...

- Prevent jumping/air control during the whirlwind animation (best looking, but changes gameplay mechanics slightly)
    - Don't cancel the animation when jumping during a whirlwind animation (looks better than it currently does but still will look a little silly)
    - Introduce a new animation for jumping during a whirlwind (best solution but Darkfall doesn't have skeletal animation with blending so would be hardest to implement without looking pretty bad).

Yes because wanting the game to not look like shit makes me stupid.

Do you even still play this game?

Aren't you one of the poopsockers who stopped logging in when people started to catch up?

Scared of getting into an even fight?

19. Reptar

Reptar Fire Elemental
    Legend

Every time you want to lower the skill ceiling it literally hurts my soul.

I stopped logging in when Dune Rats activity died. I never needed a character to crutch on to be good at this game.

20. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter Lifetime

Ahh kay so you no longer had a bunch of decent players to carry you so you stopped playing. Gotcha.

Different != lowering skill ceiling. Lowering the skillceiling is lowering the skill ceiling.

Whether removing jump whilst whirlwinding lowers the skill cap is debatable.