Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussing the Darkfall expereince

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HuggyKnight, Sep 27, 2015.

1. HuggyKnight

HuggyKnight Goblin Scout
    Hero

In light of all the discussion of what should and should not be changed in the possible re-release of Darkfall, we all should discuss the things that made up the Darkfall experience. We should look at everything that worked and did not work in the game and build any and all changes to the game around refining and perfecting the game's strengths and ironing out any of the kinks that take away from the overall Darkfall experience. I know this sounds kind of obvious, but I feel like it would do us all some good to come together and discuss what really made the game great and what took away from that greatness so that we can have something to reference for any future changes.

In my opinion there are three facets to Darkfall that made up the Darkfall experience:

1) Freedom
    2) Danger
    3) Player Driven Content

These are obviously very broad concepts, so in this thread we should try and discuss specific things which added to these three facets of the Darkfall experience as well as what things present in the game took away from them.

I also think we should look at Unholy Wars and analyze what went wrong beyond just pointing out how incompetent Aventurine is. We should dissect the changes they made to the original game and the specifics of how they clashed with the Darkfall experience. A good starting point for that is to look at Safe Zones and how exactly they clashed with what Darkfall is supposed to be and what issue Aventurine was haphazardly trying to fix with the implementation of Safe Zones.

I for one think that the idea of Safe Zones, while looking like a good idea for new players on paper, makes it so that new players are ill-prepared for the harshness of the real world of Darkfall. This ironically makes their first gank much more damaging given the fact that they have been used to being relatively safe and probably have no idea about the importance of things such as banking everything and only taking things out that you are willing to lose. On top of that it takes away from the danger that is integral to the Darkfall experience and gives players both new and old a place to cower from the dangers of the world instead of facing their fears and growing as players.

A better way to overcome the steep climb for getting into Darkfall would be to have mechanics in place to promote new players to group up with each other and not kill each other right from the get go since it is a lot easier to be brave in a group rather than all by yourself as most new players are in the beginning.

2. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

The full loot aspect of it was the best part.. In a Sandbox pvp game especially. (Danger)
    All your hard earned loot could be taken away at any moment.. you learned to bank often.

No levels or classes was also the biggest selling point for me to begin playing.. Falls into that freedom category.

Player driven content was all about that conquest drama.. who backed who.. who had beef.. forumfall helped exasperate this.

Gets me drooling thinking about it.

edit: I also have to say after all that.. the combat was the most satisfying aspect of the game.. The spells that you could wield that could be used to manipulate players... knockups.. pulls.. wofs.. spells that would effect the player directly obscuring their vision..

the combat meta, constantly keeping your xfers going always be pressing the attack to keep the pressure until that moment in a fight where the other guy is so terrified of losing everything he starts to run and exposes his back, and loses shortly after.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Gruesome

Gruesome Skeleton Archer

What worked goes without saying, the engine was beautiful, the combat and twitch fps element is still the best combat around and will remain so for some time. Cities, sieging, methods of resource gathering and (for the most part) crafting were all incredible foundations.

What went wrong however was that the game released unfinished and grew a new niche following of masochistic despots who aggressively maintain that Darkfall should stay in that state forever. Combat and PvP is perfect, these things must be maintained in their entirety whilst a long hard look is taken at other sandbox MMORPGs and to work on emulating some of these mechanics and content for everyone who likes to do anything but kill eachother.

Primarily appealing to dedicated crafters, traders, incentivizing more active player economy and more player made items, more racial conflicts in blue zones to bring back solo players, moar dungeons (pvp hotspots etc). All that good crap.

If Darkfall can maintain it's PvP untouched whilst completing the other 50% of the game which never saw the light of day, it'll be around a long long time.

4. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

To be honest, the main reason why I couldn't get into Unholy Wars wasn't the combat, the RNG circle, or any of the other controversial changes they made. It was how you leveled up your character.

In general, I don't really enjoy doing "kill x mobs, get y loot" quests. They're okay now and then if there's a decent story behind why the mobs need to die, but UW literally made THE ENTIRE GAME revolved around repetitive 'kill mob" quests.

While DFO lacked a lot of content, it did have a wonderful open world full of pretty incredible scenes and cool hideouts and landscapes. I loved how you could tell they put thought into some of the mob spawns, like it made sense why they were there and their surroundings would often have objects attached to their lore.

And even though the grind to get everything took so long it became a hinderance to new players, I really enjoyed the complete freedom of DFO. It was tons of fun coming up with my own playstyle that had no preset name, or buffs, or titles, or whatever. It was just a collection of spells and gear that worked together in a certain way, and i'd play to it's strengths. I wasn't restricted by any classes or specializations, I could level up whatever the hell I wanted in whatever order I wanted and still be competitive with it. As much as many people here like to say otherwise, you really could be competitive with just one school of magic, or just archery and melee without destroyer. Yes, you're missing a lot of utility. But you could definitely still hold your own.

I loved planning out what I wanted to work on each day that would get me closer to my goal of my finished playstyle I created, and I would always try to plan out what mobs i'd train my spells on so I could be as efficient as possible. Like if I knew I was going to need a lot of teeth for the transmutes and enchants i'd have to make in the future to make my endgame playstyle stronger, i'd train my spells up on cairn giants, for example.

My point is, I was given the freedom to efficiently level up how I wanted instead of being forced to do preset 'feats'. I became attached to my character through a -fun- daily grind, because I was coming up with my own schedule every day. No quests or feats, just trying to figure out the most efficient ways to get to the endgame I came up with.

5. Dum Dum

Dum Dum Celestial
    Prosperous Wealthy Hero

I can support dedicated crafters, as I think about it...

Need to make some sacrifices to certain aspects of the game.. as long as they dont hinder gameplay..
    The game needs fodder.. and incentives for the fodder to stay are quickly gone when they have lost everything they own.

What will help..the wolves and sheep mentality is a proper flagging system..
    The alignment system was easily exploited and meant nothing..

I think a better system could be put in place that could really bring together people playing the game and prevent griefing, if there were proper consequences to killing your own.

For example a territory system.. If you were to enter a clans territory (holding) you would become territorial contester flagged (orange color maybe) and could be attacked by that clan and its allies without consequence.. and if you were attacked you could fight back without consequence.. creates a kind of willing combatant scenario I think..

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  6. HuggyKnight

HuggyKnight Goblin Scout
    Hero

I definitely agree that the game needs ways to support dedicated crafters and a revamp of the alignment system. I think the idea of going grey when in a party with a red or join a ARAC clan will go a long way to fix many of the ways fagging was abused.

I do think though that there should be more in place to promote people to stay blue and reward them for not going red other than simply access to racial alliance cities. I think this is important because newer players should be trying to group up with each other and befriending one another instead of killing each other and having a "if it moves, kill it" mentality. It would give them a more friendly atmosphere and a sense of community right off the bat which would help keep them from rage quitting after their first gank.

Maybe have it so that crafting stations in NPC cities use less gold or reagents are cheaper in NPC cities. Something that would be helpful to newer players, but wouldn't be overpowered and deter people who want to go red from going red.

7. IsilithTehroth

IsilithTehroth Gravelord
    Supporter

The freedom to do whatever you wanted.
    Skillbased PVP
    Territory control that gave you a place to call home with rewards(mines ect)
    Lootable/Killable/Stealable mounts and ships
    Many unique skills and spells
    A huge expansive map that led to the importance of not dying because of seldom insta travel
    Racial wars and territory you can patrol and protect
    Sandbox features like treasure hunting
    A sense of adventure a huge sprawling map gives and the feeling of danger lurking at every corner
    Fantastic inventory and banking system with drag and drop
    Simplistic yet good UI
    Gear that is similar to runescape monetary system being that has great ingame value(Dragon/Racial weapons)
    Player housing that gave a sense of community to those in that village(a version for npc cities would be great)

There is a culmunation of many smalls things along with core things that make the game what it is. Still always room for improvement to make the focus less about pvp. Expanding on the racial wars, adding community things like racial Low income housing, sandbox features like farming and limiting crafting will improve the game for those that don't want to pvp 24/7 or kill mobs.