Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Akathar Update Patch Notes - December 16th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agon Herald, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Stik

Stik Goblin Warrior
    Contributor

ok

Inositol and Marxman like this.
  2. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Undead Dwarf

Another way of seeing it is that people were in the game playing, not commenting on the forums. I know in the discord I was in that people (10+) were going nuts for the dyes. People were out PvEing to work out which mobs dropped stuff, getting new outfits together etc. Just cause you dont like a change dosnt mean other people will. Lots of types of players out there.

Inositol, Marxman, KingLlama and 2 others like this.
  3. Yomi Scythetalon

Yomi Scythetalon Oak Lord
    Wealthy Streamer Contributor Legend

I for one never comment on these stickies but I love this patch.

Marxman, Inositol, SinSemilla and 2 others like this.
  4. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

People didn't walk away because of the zone or loot changes being bad, you absolute mong.

No ones posting in the patch thread because they already left and because the patch still didn't give anyone a reason to log in and grind/ fight for anything

Nothing in the patch is bad, it's just largely irrelevant / fluff that won't. change the status quo

The stuff in the patch would actually help IF they put staggered time based soft/hardcapped character and crafting progression back in the game, added territory control and holding upkeep (some unique resource that can only be gotten in a few areas that must be fought over every single day), reduced resource faucets across the board, move city mines outside the city and reduce their rare ores by half, remove village and mob scaling (or at least made it so you couldn't abuse it with alts and capped it to a certain number of people), increased item sinks such as adding a decay system that starts a timer on any item below 10% base durability that would slowly destroy it entirely after say a month or two, reduced the effectiveness of gear based on durability and added a repair system that lowered max durability after each repair, added STRICT RACIAL WARS and warfront objectives between each race starter area, capped the number of SG and G ranks per clan and added rewards that only a SG or G could win/ wear based on clan objectives, add a new element to sieges that requires warhulks and or boats that must be taken down BEFORE the clan stone, then brought servers down, WIPED, advertised for 2 weeks, put the game on steam and then RELAUNCHED with a new name

That's the only way to save the game long term @Andrew @kilrain nothing short will be anything more than a temporary population boost at best

Also make it so that city buildings and walls need to be built up more often. Reduce initial cost if necessary, but building them up and breaking them down (fully destroyed not just repair shard fixing) should be a more frequent gameplay loop, also add resources crates that can be raided, add territory towers that get a portion of the loot of each mob killed on that clans zone as tax that can be emptied only at specific times by owner clan or raided by enemies, make a resource to power zap towers that must be continuously replenished if owner clan wants them (maybe Crystal?)

For the 100th time I just put better suggestions and effort into saving this game than BPG and they won't listen this time either, not sure why I keep trying.
    --- Post updated ---
    That would be the smart thing to do, not sure I believe it.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  5. Sameog

Sameog Akathar
    Legend

Only sith deal in absolutes.

I linked my friend the patch notes and he said that if it had the arena it woulda been it.

He's not wrong. Still waiting for arena Jesus patch, but I won't hold my breath.

6. Stik

Stik Goblin Warrior
    Contributor

what kinda weeboo roleplay shit is this

7. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Celestial
    Legend

@Andrew Still no holding upkeep/maintenance?

Do you realize how shit this game looks when 1 clan owns 90% of the map? Such an easy fix, but apparently all the GM's in Blackwater won't let it happen.

8. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Maintenance is planned as part of TCS. It should be in one of our next major patches.

Mimitis TheOne and Battle Smurf like this.
  9. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Celestial
    Legend

I can't count how many times i've heard you and other's say that it's planned. It's very unfortunate that you don't understand the impact of new clans not being able to start up in a game that's desperate for new clans.

JasperHawkins likes this.
  10. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Legend

it’s only 50% but I get what ya mean.

11. Ikaika Koa

Ikaika Koa Skeleton Archer
    Wealthy Contributor Legend

I didn't say there weren't people who wanted to see what they could dye. There will still be people who play this game, and more of those will be going out on the world to pve, since it's now a safer world. They put in several changes in this patch that many players will find either useful, or interesting enough.

Unfortunately, I'm in several discords of players who play or have played this game. In these different groups, for every player who has said they like the changes made, there have been 10 who have said they've lost any incentive to log in. It's unfortunate because in the pass several weeks, I've seen a MAJOR increase in interest in the game in these same discord channels. Just when the population was beginning to trend up, it looks like it's about to flatline even more than it was over this pass summer.

It's extremely sad to me, because darkfall is my favorite game of all time, but from the player feedback I'm personally getting, the current spike in interest for the game has bottomed out quick. Hopefully BPG can do something to get more players into the game in the near future.

12. Geezy

Geezy Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Loyal Supporter

Remember when Moles literally griefed Justice, a clan full of new/casual players, out of the game? Pepperidge farm remembers.

An upkeep isn't going to change anything. Empty holdings are still going to sit vacant, just without a clan tag on them.

Do we need 40+ holdings? No. Nobody needs 40+ holdings. But we all know if we dropped some of our holdings, they aren't magically going to 'new clans', they are gonna get Hoover'd up by NaCl, or Defiance, or even RMR. If some hypothetical 'new clan' came up and started looking for a holding, I'm sure we could find one to part with that they could use. If they are too scared/intimidated/whatever other bullshit reason to siege us/talk to us about getting a holding... well Darkfall might not be the game for them.

13. Agon Herald

Agon Herald Goblin Warrior
    Staff Member BPG Representative

This reply is quite general but it gives an inside perspective that can answer some common concerns,

First, we must apologize for the issues players experienced with the update, we're currently hotfixing major bugs so please report them here > Link to Akathar Update Bug Report Section

It's fairly common to see players comment that we are not making the right changes. We may read a comment that will say something along the lines of "This is what should happen, why does BPG not understand?" and we are actually working on it. However, if we answer it, we would now be liable to answer when that will happen - setting an expectation of something happening now. That would be great, but we don't always know how difficult something will be or when it will be ready. Sometimes hard things are solved easily, or minor things are really difficult to solve.

This is a major accomplishment for the game because the Akathar Update paves the way forward with some systems that might not seem interesting on the surface but will completely change the game moving forward. Certainly, there are elements that don't appeal to everyone, and other things that we hear players put into question are necessary for things those same players want to see in the future.

Development is nuanced and our situation is uniquely problematic, from the history of Darkfall to our own reputation. These are things we will change with time.

Mimitis TheOne, Neilk and Marxman like this.
  14. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Celestial
    Legend

Haha. These stories you come up with are great! Are you a habitual liar or genuinely handicapped? Either way, it's almost like arguing with a child... i feel bad for even acknowledging your response =)

15. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

Bowl-cut is right, BPG started talking about territory control in October 2017, so you can't blame people if they think it stopped being worked on or is never coming, especially after someone leaked that private convo with Andrew.

That said, I really don't understand why some kids are acting like THIS patch made them not want to log in anymore, the changes weren't bad and are probably necessary (among other things) to get new players and new TYPES of players to stay if they do try the game.

Like what were u people doing that having a few areas with less risk and less reward in a SMALL fraction of the map is ruining the game for you? Bullying/ griefing newbs in starter areas? Just stay in the Red zones and its the same game... the newbs and bads can have their reprieve/ meeting area and then venture out into red zones when they're ready.

Structure like this is exactly what Darkfall needed to keep people from playing in populationally unsustainable ways, again it's another reason I advocate strict race wars so the game can't auto nutcup/ devolve into ONLY 2 sided server wars. It would force good players to stay in at least a few different factions and give new/ unclanned/ bad clanned people a dynamic group to play with outside of their clan.

TOTAL freedom to do anything you want anywhere to any one with no consequences just doesn't work in sandbox games. AV only had it that way because they were lazy, and you all know it.

16. Marxman

Marxman Obsidian Golem
    Loyal

You are in the discord of the biggest baby back bitches in the game, they are ALWAYS crying that they have no reason to log in any more and are constantly being negative no matter the situation, we have all seen it multiple times a day from that side
    --- Post updated ---
    Their discord is very different from ours :) 99% of the time they are just crying about dumb shit while we actually play and enjoy the game

Mimitis TheOne and Inositol like this.
  17. Inositol

Inositol Obsidian Golem
    Supporter

Lol @ the subhuman room-temperature IQ retards still shouting down any progress in the name of "muh hardcore mmo"

Just don't go to lawful zones, simple.

18. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

yeah honestly my same thoughts lol xD

Mimitis TheOne and Marxman like this.
  19. Marxman

Marxman Obsidian Golem
    Loyal

BUT HOW ELSE WILL THEY GRIEF NOOBS IT'S NOT FAIR

20. Volfen

Volfen Chosen of Khamset
    Staff Member Developer Loyal Lifetime Legend

I agree except guardians are inside lawless zones and 60% of the champions are apparently in lawful zones.

Mimitis TheOne, Featherbeans and Sero like this.