Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Akathar Update Patch Notes - January 24th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neilk, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Ryco Stormeye

Ryco Stormeye Crypt Guard

That sentance about combat changes could mean many things.

New armours (Robes and Leather) will need to have balanced protections with Metal. Thats a combat change
    Any new specilizations thats a combat change
    Making 1H and Shield viable thats a combat change
    Having a reason to use earth spells, that would be a combat change
    Etc etc

Dont freak out yet. There is stuff we have all been asking for, for years that has a impact however slight on combat. That would be a combat change.

Methodico and JasperHawkins like this.
  2. Geezy

Geezy Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Loyal Supporter

Yikes... enjoy your forum vacay

I mean, I can't blame them too much for having PTSD when someone mentions combat changes. But you raise a very good point; putting in new armors are going to by definition call for some combat changes. I hope that is all Andrew is talking about.

As far as pertinent patch feedback...

1) The timers and announcements on Fire/Ice Dragons, and Demon lords... great idea! Good incentive to go and check them for potential pvp, and also removes the advantage that was gained from having them only spawn at server up.

2) Theyril Golem farming is pretty insane now. The trash snowclan mobs are of very little value, hardly even worth picking up their drops. Felt like there were 15-20 (I think Neilk mentioned there was an extra spawn of them that will be removed) and they were realy more of an annoyance than anything. Certainly nothing that would make me want to stick around to wait for the Theyril golem to respawn, rather than running to bank and coming back. The dailies are nice, but we killed over 100 snowclan in the time it took the Theyril Golem to respawn.

I would suggest maybe adding more difficult 'guard' mobs in lower number, and perhaps reducing the respawn rate of those mobs a little, while cutting the respawn of the Theyril Golem down to around 10 minutes. Make it more worthwhile for a group to stick around and farm for 30 minutes to an hour. I realize that there has to be a balance between a mob being not worth farming and making a mob TOO lucrative, but I think the scale needs to be slid a bit further to the loot side in this case.

3) Monster Markers - another home run imo. While veterans like myself have pretty vast knowledge of what mob drops what, this will be VITAL to help new players out. The next step is definitely putting a search function that allows you to not only search for mobs, but to search for specific DROPS (e.g. Q4 Eye, Q5 tooth, etc.) and find the mobs that drop that item.

4) Cotton/Rawhide Phase out and loot increase - This is going to be a point of pain for some, but really a necessary change if armors that use those resources aren't on the horizon. Restoring the gold drops for mobs that previously dropped those items is a no brainer, and I'm glad you guys implemented both changes at the same time.

All in all, a very good patch imo. Obviously a few bugs to work out (Minotaur King issues, new Dye Issues) but well done all the same. I'm sure I speak for the silent majority when I say that the uptick in patches, communication, and asking for feedback is much appreciated.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    #22 Geezy, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    JasperHawkins and Egrin like this.
  3. Egrin

Egrin Goblin Shaman

Love it! But could you please add the option to search for specific loot?

4. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

Firstly, you guys need to post these change logs outside on Discord.

Secondly, I feel like I'm your QA departement on at least half of the recent patch notes. :neutral:

Lastly, this now makes Wisdom 110 potions "the worst possible drop" from these quests. On that note, I'd like to propose 6 new crafting recipes to be added to the game, one for each attribute; 110 -> 120 Potion conversion. Take 10 of a 110 potion plus a decent amount of gold, to convert it into one 120 potion. This should ensure 110 potions continue to have value long-term, without making Champion-dropped 120 potions worthless.

5. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Good idea

6. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

if u do that it should cost 150k min to combine the 10 110 pot

7. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

That's a bit overboard, something like 20k should be more than enough. 10 110 potions are still ~300k, a single 120 potion is currently around ~120k. While the recipe shouldn't be cheaper than just getting a 120 potion via farming champions, it shouldn't be unrealistic in cost difference, either.

JasperHawkins likes this.
  8. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

u know how ez guardian is to farm

if it was me it would be 150k to combine

9. Raap

Raap Wildtribe Mage

Guardian is another topic, that spawn is honestly too good. It is what all other farming is measured up against to determine if it is worth it.

10. Blaze

Blaze Black Knight

I think it needs to be 50k+imo,

Slayven likes this.
  11. Volfen

Volfen Celestial
    Staff Member Developer Loyal Legend

If this is going to be a thing then make it cost demonic essence and make the demon not garbage anymore.

Blaze likes this.
  12. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

Somehow I'm still here. I'm just beyond frustrated with this fucking company. I want this game to succeed so bad so I can actually game again and have fun with my friends. But every time there is sliver of light at the end of the tunnel they turn around all pull this shit again.

I have tried to help this game. I've done free art, I've done paid art, I've posted suggestion threads, I've given noobs free shit, I've tried to get new people to play. Nothing helps.

ALL they had to do was slightly adjust blinds, reduce WOF, fix knockups, that's fucking it. Instead Andrew lets idiots who don't even pvp butcher the entire system. Then after non-stop bitching for over a year and a huge decrease in # of people playing they finally revert it... and now here we are again and Andrew is talking about more combat changes.

We raised 48.5k and we've gotten shitty pink armor dyes that stick out like a sore thumb. Where is the NEW and FUN content? These forums are filled to the rim with suggestions. Yet the only thing we get are changes to old systems they've already fucked with 3x before.

13. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I mean the new armors were going to be pointless as originally intended anyway because they didn't give any differentiating bonuses like spell damage, mana regen, archery attack speed etc, there really wasn't enough point to justify all the work they take if the ONLY stat changes are protections/encumbrance

I know the survivorship bias here is off the charts and most people distrust changes, but I liked the direction UW/New Dawn was going with armors and meta changes. The vast majority of MMO players are NOT fans of everyone being able to do everything equally.

And it's not sustainable to have the outcome of every fight be nearly completely based on individual player skill with identical characters/ armor. Risking higher ranked gear (gear crutching) should be a more valid option, build/ armor choices should play a bigger too.

The more skilled player will still win the vast majority so IMHO having certain specs/ armors/ builds match up a little more favorable against others isn't a problem.

The average gamer is fucking terrible at FPS combat, not to mention they will have 10 years less experience than us, so giving them alternative ways to occasionally win or at least crutch on to not get blown the fuck out, is probably necessary if you want player retention.

Like boohoo if a top current players win rate drops from 85% to 79% because they start running into players with different builds that have a slight edge/ counter/ group composition to theirs... or if BPG made super expensive gear have 10-20% more of a power gap so worse players (who are willing to risk it) can gear crutch to even the odds in a fight (think Ginger Magician from DF1, terrible player skill but grinded his character and bank and wore infernal solo long before much better players did in order to get some wins)

The "everyone must have exactly the same tools, only player skill should dictate fight outcomes" mentality is retarded and unhealthy if you want a population

The "even numbers= fair fights" mentality is another logical fallacy, 3 players of one clan might truly only have a "fair" fight if it's vs 6 of another... and why are people so obsessed with "fair fights" in a open world pvp sandbox MMO anyway?

Like I agree that DF has a problem with most fights being either crushing someone else or getting blown out yourself, but at the end of the day it's not SUPPOSED to be fair... if you want that play literally any other game type with match making, fixed numbers, fixed maps.

/End RoA rant #1,000 that won't be read

#33 Battle Smurf, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    Zuul Ghat and Jathen like this.
  14. Geezy

Geezy Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Loyal Supporter

Odd. I got an infraction from telling someone who did enjoy participating in homosexual activity that I in fact did not share their opinion. I would assume that bringing up Andrew's wife on the forums would go against the new and improved ToS, but maybe not? Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against you personally, I just think if the forums are going to be more strictly moderated, that they also need to be more evenly moderated. Not based on the number of reports that a post receives, but instead based on the severity of said post... but I'm getting off track.

I've done my fair share of trying to help out too; it ain't easy. RoA is a TOUGH game to grow. STEEP learning curve, lacking NPE, Full loot non tab target pvp isn't for everyone, nearly everyone has their own ideas on which way the game should go, a dev team that is underpaid and overworked... the list goes on.

I do find it a little ironic that you're balking at the idea of potential combat changes, yet providing a list of your own that you would like implemented. Either way, I hope that BPG has learned from the mistakes of their past, and that the only combat changes Andrew was talking about was more related to balancing the new robes/leather armor when it comes out.

While dyes were a big focal point in the recent Akathar patch, to say that was all we got is a bit disingenuous. Since the patch on 12/16, they've made updates, tweaks and fixes nearly every business day since. New content in dungeons, the return of the Devil (Demon Lord), loot tweaks, fixes to fishing on boats... and yes, dye crafting and dyes. Detractors will whinge about the bugs that have popped up... but at the same time, they refuse to help out when BPG asks them to submit their logs. I think we can admit that it is preferable to have patches with a few bugs to the alternative, which was no patches.

15. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

Every time I get a sliver of hope you start talking again and I remember why the game is dead in the first place. Seriously Andrew, I am not trying to be insulting or toxic but at some point you need to look in the mirror and understand that what you see is why no one plays anymore and why no one has much hope left in the game or your company. I will never fully give up hope as DFO was my favorite game of all time, but its so painful to watch mistake after mistake. Its painful to see promises broken. Its painful to see everything unfold exactly like we said it would. Its painful to see the icon on my desktop but have zero desire to play. I just wish at some point you guys would wake up and go back to the original promises of pumping out content and not fucking up combat.

The bonuses should NEVER be subtractive to TTK. Even when it ends up 'ok' in 1v1 it breaks group fighting by making focus fire too powerful. There was an element of chaos to DFO group fights because it wasn't super worth it or easy to focus fire enough to instantly kill people once the range closed. That chaos provided a lot of room for both individual and group play skill to shine and make it a ton of fun. UW group fights weren't as fun for many reasons, but the bonkers TTKs that full damage boost and full attack speed boost were part of the problem.

AbbaSalama, SuB ZeRo and Sero like this.
  16. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I completely disagree and think your vision/ mentality is exactly why this game is so unpopular and player retention is so low.

It also sounds like you're describing Unholy Wars from 2013 rather than 2015 anyway, two extremely different scenarios.

If someone wants to play a glass cannon there's nothing wrong with giving them that option, and what im describing is so far from 2013 UW anyway, in UW classes had massive hitpoint differences, having the TOP end leather armor with 15%-20% more archery attack speed isn't a problem.

Also notice I specifically left out melee attack speed bonus from armors said UW/ND were on the right track, not that it was perfect.

The meta is stale as fuck anyway in RoA and has become even more homogenized with less flavor after some of the magic changes.

People who think the game should be mainly regular attacks and transfers are cancer anyway (I remember people like Jonah crying in UW because melee actually had more attack skills) , usually they are afraid of having to learn some new meta after it took them 9 years to master the basic shit some of us were doing in late 2010.

Then again its BPG so they might screw it up worse if they change anything, and they don't have the vision/ backbone to stand up to kneejerkers in the community long enough to actually follow through on most choices they do make

#36 Battle Smurf, Jan 26, 2020
    Jathen likes this.
  17. Sero

Sero Menhir Sentinal
    Loyal Legend

Stop following this stupid crygaul ideology. There is no numerical values to identify proper ratios of playerskill to player numbers to determine "fair fights."

An extra body in a fight makes the fight ridiculously harder to manage stats and kill for the outnumbered party. Start doubling that, tripling that... like give me a break.

The closetest thing you can do to get a fair fight is say, okay lets take what we got and match their numbers, the better players win.

Zergs eat the population. It's cancerous to constantly go against people with twice your numbers. It's so cancerous that people stop logging in because there isn't even a shred of hope of coming across anything reminiscent of a fun engagement.

N4K3D 4F41R and The Red King like this.
  18. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I completely disagree, I NEVER had fun in any version of DF fighting weaker clans when I had equal numbers to them

To me a "fair or fun" fight could be anything from equal numbers up to me 2v13ing people (this actually used to happen in 2009) it just depended on who I was fighting.

For example I NEVER enjoyed roaming with 10 DHW because no one could challenge us regardless of numbers, I rarely had fun unless I was outnumbered.

It's why i left DHW, Zealot ect in DF1 and Defiance in UW, too easy even if we were matched #'s wise not enough meat on the bone for me

By that same token and for the same reason I avoided being in THE elite clans and would have plenty of fun fighting them when I was in something like Canada United in UW (even if we outnumbered the elite clan)

I have been in unfair fights ( I was the favorite) where it was 5 vs me all the way up to 18 vs 7 (where we 18 were the underdogs and got stomped HARD by 7 and I knew going into it our zerg was going to get dumpstered)

It's a little more even in RoA where there is no grind for big advantage and everyone's well geared and knows the basics, but its still far from even numbers= even fights

To ME a fair fight is when both sides have at least a 40% chance to win and I don't know the outcome before it starts, numbers are only 1 factor of many

#38 Battle Smurf, Jan 26, 2020
  19. BeatIt

BeatIt Eodrin
    Loyal Legend

amen
    +10000

Slayven likes this.
  20. SuB ZeRo

SuB ZeRo Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

The dev team is underpaid because there is no fucking players or substantial money coming in. Again, if they wouldn’t have been stupid with their decisions over the past few years this game would be thriving. Day one I would’ve hired an art developer to start churning out NEW content to keep income flowing, instead we got butchered combat changes and a HORRIBLE housing system.

I’m balking at combat changes from non-pvpers. There is a big difference between a noob and who doesnt pvp changing combat and someone who played at a fairly high level for years changing combat. I would let arrow expert or kilset do whatever the fuck they wanted with combat because I know they aren’t retarded.

Loot changes and bringing back dfo content they took out is not new fucking content geezy. land towers, server events, relics, new boats, new mounts, new cities, racial wars, pve events, rare useful or NEW visually cool items. There is a big difference between NEW authentic content and redoing goblins to drop 10 more gold meanwhile everyone and their moms has maxed out banks.

They continually prioritize the WRONG thing and never learn from it.