Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Akathar Update Patch Notes - January 24th

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Neilk, Jan 24, 2020.

1. MaxiHori

MaxiHori Akathar

cool but pls reconsider the option to open up to custom private server with custom settings, I want my daoc fps shard :sob:

2. Featherbeans

Featherbeans Chosen of Khamset
    Contributor Hero

Yeah, sometimes seems RoA is to the entertainment industry what Rubber Banding is to videogames. You press forward but you keep getting warped back - not exactly to where you started but somewhere in between, and it's not the place where you want to be.

I've said this about Tarkov Interchange map, but I can say the same about Counterstrike: there is much more fun to be had on any counter strike map for about 45 minutes (even vertigo) than anything that may happen in Darkfall in the current conditions...

I hope it changes.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. Neilk

Neilk Web Development & System Admin
    Staff Member Team Lead

Armor protections have been the exact same as DFO for months now since we reverted.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  4. Geezy

Geezy Fire Elemental
    Wealthy Loyal Supporter

Don't waste your time with these kids Neil. You guys aren't allowed to make mistakes obviously.

These are the same nerds that will see a decent patch, and shed massive tears about something they don't like (dyes) being implemented. Or whine over a few bugs being introduced. Quite literally insinuating that you guys intentionally released a buggy patch, when the reality is patches almost always have bugs that don't crop up until live, where a vast amount more players are able to test systems. Always honing in on the negative, instead of seeing the positive. There's literally no pleasing them.

#64 Geezy, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  5. chad

chad Celestial
    Loyal Hero

I consider the combat objectively worse than it was in DFO, but it's not a big deal to me. The only combat related changes that irk me significantly, is the spraining of ankles while hopping and disabling bolt -- but whatever. I just can't see myself actively playing a game where I have no options for character progression and gear has no perceivable value.

6. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

The whole point of this change is that BPG is trying to make dynamic open world GROUP pvp at spawns more of a thing.

It's intended to STOP people from being able to SOLO farm so many high end mobs, or at least make it more difficult / require you to wear better gear when doing so.

Honestly being able to solo high end mobs like the leenspar golem while in dogshit gear was hella broken for the amount of rare ore ect it dropped.

Infernal was never supposed to be as commonly worn as it is,
    --- Post updated ---
    I agree, but didn't the vast majority of your friends cry "tedium" and WANT progression (grind) removed?

I told BPG back in the day i was fine with lowering the time it took for character progression to a (viable) state, BUT if you're going to do that you MUST then increase ITEM progression time so that people have things to farm for (you MUST FORCE long term PvE either through cgaracter or item progression, otherwise open world pvp encounters and organic territory control stops happening)

Unfortunately BPG decided to remove character progression and ALSO remove gear progression by making good gear too easy to get and not having enough item sinks, so now most people have nothing they need to farm/ grind for and gear has lost its value.

Even worse than BPG making high end gear easier/ foster to acquire than DF1 was them REDUCING the power gap between gear ranks which was fucking retarded and broke risk VS reward because now even the very best gear, like Dragon that still takes some time to grind, IS NOT WORTH FARMING and doesn't really have value because it's power benefit isn't worth the increased difficulty to farm.

If anything the time to acquire rank 60+ gear should have been increased, more rare, and more powerful

Even Aventurine understood this when they did an Unholy Wars patch that INCREASED the power gap between their thyril and leenspar weapons and top armor vs their second to top tier armors in order to make Dragon tier more valuable and WORTH grinding

If someone farms a Dragon bag in RoA and risks it in pvp they DESERVE to have a bigger advantage than they currently do, also I'd really like to see the mage equivalent armor to dragon in terms of power/cost one day...

Everyone acts like DF1 combat/ armor was perfect and shouldn't be touched, when in reality it was incomplete as fuck and we only enshrine it because of survivorship bias and nostalgia (and the fact that no other game did it better).

Unfortunately the changes RoA have made have often made it worse, like Eyerot and Pungent Mist nerfs, but that fault lies with the vocal minority of the community WHO ASKED BPG to change them, and the majority who didn't counter them in the threads.

You don't get to ask for changes which hurt the game ("remove grind, give better loot rewards, lower PvE downtime, nerf magic spells") and then put all the blame on BPG for changing shit when to doesn't work out.

#66 Battle Smurf, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Dixie Normus likes this.
  7. Volfen

Volfen Celestial
    Loyal Legend

Dragon and infernal are literally the same as DFO (dragon is actually better because you can make full sets now), there's only 1 leenspar golem and it only drops 5-6 as opposed to the up to 18 that each of the 2 leenspar golems could drop in DFO, R70s are more expensive to make mat wise (can't make Hellraisers with Veilron anymore), cobras cost a shit ton more to make as opposed to killing 1 or 2 hands of khamset for a staff, silverbranches cost a shit ton more to make, mines got nerfed, q5 enchanting mats are harder to farm, some q4 enchanting mats are way harder to farm. Weapons below R60 are a joke under normal circumstances as they always have been.

I get that you're been trolling these forums for like 3 years now without ever logging in LBS, just wanted to throw that out there for people who actually may have somewhat of an interest in playing in the future.

JasperHawkins, Battle Smurf and Blaze like this.
  8. chad

chad Celestial
    Loyal Hero

Except the economy is flooded from previous faucets. Durability is doubled. Things don't filter out at an acceptable pace and they probably never will.

9. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

I like all of those changes and give credit to BPG for making them, I did not know about the leenspar golem / mine changes (stuff I advocated for before launch) and armor reverts, I thought they only reverted to the previous RoA patch.

Still more to do and a lot of that happened long after launch and a lot of damage was already done.

The economy has too much high end gear spread around too few players and most people have nothing to work for or fight over, at least 90% of the people I know say this. The other 10% are newer/ much weaker players who lose so often that they don't have a stacked bank yet.

ALL my DF1/ UW friends are rich to the point that they could never PvE again and still not run out of gear for a year or 2 and have no need/ desire to further improve their characters in any way... how can you pretend something isn't wrong?

And I literally dream of the day RoA gets its expansion/ big territory/ armor/ patch finished, adding back progression with soft/hard caps to prevent massive early game power gaps and prevent people from running out of stuff to do, makes a few more changes to resource faucets and sinks, and then market the game for 2 weeks before wiping and relaunching on steam because that's the only way I see bulk players/ clans giving RoA another chance.

Personally I'd play tomorrow, even without those changes, IF the game had at least 2,000 players that I thought would stick around for a year

I'm not a hater, I obviously want RoA to succeed otherwise I'd have left quietly like so many others

But I cannot go back to spending 8 hours a day looking for pvp and only getting 1 decent fight (if I'm lucky) or having to pre arrange fights again.

Any remotely successful MMO should have SOMETHING to do progression wise and SOME people to fight 24/7 not just in a 4 hour primetime window

Dixie Normus likes this.
  10. The Red King

The Red King Black Knight
    Loyal Legend

Mines didn't get nerfed, in fact they added mines to this game. So they got buffed. The supposed nerf at the start of the game was BS, same as DF drops.

Battle Smurf likes this.
  11. Volfen

Volfen Celestial
    Loyal Legend

They added 1 or 2 mines and they no longer start with 500 ore at server up. That's a major nerf considering mine regen is 1 ore per minute on average (like it was in DFO).
    --- Post updated ---
    That's fair, durability is way too high. They never should have reverted the maintenance nerf or increased durability.

12. The Red King

Loyal Legend

I guess that is true about starting with ores/ rares in the chamber. I didn't feel like they nerfed rares overall, they still gave a lot.

And we need dura hit on gank. lose half each time. That will fix the economy soon enough.

13. Dixie Normus

Dixie Normus Black Knight
    Legend

Haven’t played in a while so it might be different now, but when I stopped there was a lot more than 1 Leenspar golem. Also you could get them spawning super fucking fast and in multiples.

same with khamsets. You could frenzy the god damned spawns. So no it isn’t harder than dfo.

Even if it’s changed now, peoples banks are so jacked up it only hurts new players.

I played dfo and never in that games life did I own infernal and dragon sets to wear everyday.

I had some fillers and a couple of “siege sets”

In roa I could rock full dragon whenever I wanted.

and I probably lose 80% of the fights I get in.

game NEEDS to be adjusted and NEEDS a wipe if it’s to have a chance.

Bakken and Battle Smurf like this.
  14. ArrowExpert

ArrowExpert Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Had to log in to like this. Blown.

15. chad

chad Celestial
    Loyal Hero

I remember the removal of maintenance felt really bad to see things rocket downward in durability, even if it was from a larger total pool of durability. They probably should not have touched durability at all from DFO standards -- I think it was fine.

I hate the idea of durability loss on gank. Makes it feel even less rewarding to loot someone and will definitely encourage people to gank themselves down to "pvp dura".

--

It's honestly pretty absurd to think about how many rares get injected into the game through mines, but I'm not really sure how else you attribute value to holdings.

16. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

AGREED

In DF1 I literally never wore full Dragon once, and only wore the mage equivalent with a hellrazer r70 and Q5 cobra ONE time in a wager duel and thats only because I looted it off someone and my friend gave me the Q5 cobra for my birthday lol... and I was considered at least a top 10 player by everyone at that time and rarely lost any fight of remotely even numbers. Using that stuff in small scale open world village / spawn/ city raiding wasn't even a consideration

I didn't even use infernal + cobras 85% of the time in daily pvp I rocked full plate/ bone/ Q3 enchants or lower (plate helm and scale boots pants gloves wasn't uncommon when I solo'd/ duo pvped) with blackbolt and that was 2+ years after launch

In RoA people much worse than me were rocking infernal with Q4 Cobras in non siege/ eager duel fights in a matter of months, and a couple of my friends were literally making pvp videos (of open world fights over spawns on Yssam) wearing it 8 days after launch. Now my friends are hardcore grinders, skilled/ knowledgeable, huge ball players... but the game mechanics should have never allowed that to happen, add soft/hard time based character progression/ crafting caps and start with low drop rates and scale high end monster loot drops/ rare resources/ city mines/ village rewards over time, and of course add more gear sinks (Albion and EvE do it by having some % of items destroyed on death AND FOR GOOD REASONS that would work even BETTER in RoA which I will elaborate on if BPG asks) and make sure gold has real value and doesn't inflate so much.

This would not only do wonders for the economy it would also keep players having things to progress on long term, while keeping the early game power gap (which made a LOT of people quit the first month or 2) under control, it would also promote more early days open world activity and enjoyment because people wouldn't feel forced to sit in their secret optimal character skill grind holes 24/7 for a week instead they hit their daily cap and could then feel free to pvp or farm $/ resource optimal spawns via their preferred optimal combat method

People who say/ believe we should get used to the status quo, and that it would require a magic wand to bring people in mass back to the game with a single patch, are completely wrong and shouldn't be making decisions about RoA.

There IS an obvious path to making Agon great again, and it's 100% doable even with BPG's limited resources.

The only thing BPG seems to be lacking is a strong decisive leader with the right game plan, no offense.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  17. Slayven

Slayven Eodrin
    Legend

I love the game but I feel this.

18. Volfen

Volfen Celestial
    Loyal Legend

I mean I pointed out that I was meleeing mobs (big spawns of them too) for 8 hours in the same bag without breaking any armor and people told me HURR DURR YOU JUST ARENT PVEING HARD ENOUGH. I don't like dura loss on gank too much either, but if it's carefully thought out it might be the only realistic solution other than literal gear decay straight in the bank.

On the topic of holdings, yeah they need value and I think people in general underestimate how much of a bag's value comes from enchanting mats as opposed to rares, specially in mage bags.

Leenspar never scaled. There were 3 of them at one point though, but now there's only one. Taint is by far the cheapest part of making cobras, unlike DFO. It's not even 10% of the cost anymore. People have stacked banks, but that's inevitable and was true for DFO as well. That's just the natural course of things (it just happened faster here while spawn scaling was a thing).

Also it's pretty hard to ever run out of gear or mats if you never log in, which is the case for the vast majority of people with stacked banks.
    --- Post updated ---
    So actually on topic: the new minions around the big guys and their dailies are a step in the right direction, but you've missed the mark in terms of making the minions worth killing and for the most part the "bosses" can be pulled away from the minions and soloed with varying degrees of annoyance.

If soloing the bosses, then the boss daily just generally means a free kill worth of loot after 5 kills. However for casual players it's kinda hard to fulfill one and do much of anything else with their playtime since it'll take at least an hour (being very optimistic here) to kill 5 bosses purely based off of respawn.

Serruk dungeon quest is good because it requires killing things that are already worth killing on their own.

Basalt golems around the leenspar aren't bad because they're a good way to farm limestone and siege mats. Elfshades I haven't killed in a while but last time I tried were pretty worthless, and last time I went to the leenspar they were still bugged.

Haven't killed baradrons since the patch but I've been told it has treants which are a good choice since they seem to have the most aggressive aggro in the whole game after fire dragons, and are also worth killing for housing mats and some enchanting mats. Tigers IDK, never killed one.

Sand Iklits around the erodach are questionable but at least they drop q3 venom sac.

Oak lords and forest prophets around the forest golem are basically worthless, and oak lords don't have a daily.

The 10 million minotaurs around the mino king are reasonable, haven't tried to farm it to gauge difficulty or exploitability, but they should be fun tbh, and the mino king loot is pretty good from what I've seen.

Andrew and Neilk like this.
  19. The Red King

Loyal Legend

The balance then is somewhere in between having enough and not having too much where you still need to acquire gear somehow. Like you said when they removed maintenance, it blew through some items really quickly, what did BPG do? They added maintenance back in and then added like double durability LOL. Removing durability and then adjusting armor / weapons to go at an equal rate would have been the correct thing to do.

Daggers / bows / staves needed a buff to dura

2 Handed weapons / armor in general did not.

Blaze and Volfen like this.
  20. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

The economy is fucked no matter what they do as long as the active population stays so low. They could bank wipe tomorrow and within a month it would be fucked again, at least for the few people playing. Its impossible to create any scarcity when you can go farm whatever you want and not see another person all day long, at least not without too much tedium or downsides if the game ever picks up. The lack of players also means that when people do log on they are more inclined to go PvE to pass the time since PvP isn't always an option, creating even more un-needed wealth. Even Ultima Online despite its vastly superior economy suffered a similar fate when trammel was released, created the same kind of problem: farming without risk. Different reasons, but same problem. UO at least had a lot of sandbox features to burn your excessive wealth and gold on, DFO/RoA does not.

Blaze likes this.