Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Darkfall: Rise of Agon - A Pivotal Moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Centralized PvP sounds like a slaughterfest for noobs and would be completely unproductive to the team's goals. I think the better alternative would be mechanics in game that help roaming PvPers find action. Being able to pay an NPC gold so they tell you the whereabouts of nearby reds or enemies, for example. Or random, timed quests that are given to multiple parties at the same time; all of them with the same quest goal.

foolofatom likes this.
  2. Lexendros

Lexendros Infernal
    Legend

Same And same.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Dixie Normus and Fengor like this.
  3. kilrath81

kilrath81 Black Knight
    Lifetime Legend

I'm happy to see this come up. Sounds like a move in the positive direction.

Dixie Normus, MaxiHori and Fengor like this.
  4. rikilii

rikilii Celestial

Support 100%

Dixie Normus and MaxiHori like this.
  5. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

daoc is easily on par if not ahead on the playerskill level. eso is close if you are a solo player. aoc solo play at the highest level is also close if not equal. theres plenty of games that can compete with df in that regard but with the exception of daoc any other mmo requires you to be a solo player to be as skillbased. if we┬┤re looking at group play however daoc shits all over everything that ever existed or will ever exist and that includes df in any iteration aswell.

6. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

Now this sounds exciting.
    Keep the combat, reduce wasting time. Let's mix it up abit. Can't wait for the discussion threads.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  7. Liverbest Gibs

Liverbest Gibs Spellgazer
    Hero

This direction doesn't sound good to me. It will all be dependent on how it all plays out, but it's concerning. Negative terms and phrases can be spun into positives. "Grind" can be also seen as "RPG progression". "Power gaps" can be seen as player and equipment balance. For example, if it takes triple the time to acquire an item that increases your PvP effectiveness by 0.5%, closing that power gap just created a balance problem. If there are no rare items, then everyone uses top end gear all the time, there is no functioning economy, and hardcore players have little to do but fight. Fighting is great, but Darkfall has always been about fighting for something. If loot has very low value, you are just fighting, but you don't care about looting. I feel like "PvP for the sake of PvP" has been tried in Unholy Wars, and it didn't work out.

I'm probably taking things to an extreme on this post, but it just seems like the announcement is very casual leaning, with few details, and nothing for hardcore players to get excited about.

Owyn Magnus, MrDDT and foolofatom like this.
  8. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Black Knight
    Staff Member

You can make the game more casual friendly from a time commitment perspective while still keeping in the hardcore mechanics we all love. That is our goal with this process - to provide a much more accessible barrier of entry for players with limited time to play, while keeping the spirit of a hardcore sandbox MMO in-tact.

Hardcore does NOT have to mean an immense time investment - hardcore can mean full loot, risk vs reward, sieging, free for all PvP, etc.

9. Liverbest Gibs

Liverbest Gibs Spellgazer
    Hero

Sounds much better. Thanks for the response. A balanced risk vs reward is important.

Dixie Normus, Fengor, Ylahoto and 2 others like this.
  10. KingLlama

KingLlama Infernal
    Supporter Lifetime

So my question is? Will we be discussing power hour? because that sounds to me like something I can get behind! I've stopped playing due to the tediousness of the game.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  11. Everrest

Everrest Goblin Warrior

Some ideas in this vein...

1. Change the power level for starting characters to me MUCH higher. Instead of beginning with an anemic toon with few abilities or spells, give everyone high levels of magic and ability (50/75/even 100? in all magic schools). Some progression should remain, my vote is for spell level, but generally everyone should begin with a toon that feels like it can handle the world of Darkfall.

2. Reduce the tedium around gearing up. We all agree that we want full loot and meaningful combat but that doesn't have to mean making gearbags is a nightmare. Consolidate what is necessary for a gearbag, or make a tool that automates that process for us.

3. Finding pvp when you are on a time constraint is at the heart of DF's problem. There need to be mechanisms that either allow us to track/find other players easily or create such powerful hotspots that pvp in these locations will always be present.

Take a page from Pub G- Create timed events that you que up for that drop all the participants into a zone (tile) where they are all flagged to murder each other. Make the zone of conflict shrink (this is probably too much coding but would still be cool).

4. Most extreme suggestion = Shrink the world. Its too big. Either do it with portals or runestones or literally remove continents, but its just too big for the population that plays. If you want casual people to be able to pvp then they need to be able to find other players in a reasonable timeframe.

Fidel Castro likes this.
  12. Bound

Bound Project Manager
    Staff Member

We most likely won't be doing a power hour we have some other ideas :). I personally don't like power hour because people will only log in and do character development for that hour. There is no reason to work any skill that costs gold outside of that hour.

Dixie Normus, Circa, Fengor and 3 others like this.
  13. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Schools of magic are an archaic system designed to be a gated time sink. The only purpose they serve is to slow character development down without any real tangible benefit to leveling them besides getting the spells and subskills. Keep them if you must but rethink them. Wouldn't the game be more interesting if we could use and level what we want at an earlier point? Wasting our time on Rend, Needles and Mana Blast just to get to the good stuff is bad game design.

14. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

not a good idea cos new players would get overwhelmed easily by the mass of abilities they have. however the time it takes to unlock stuff could be reduced slightly. also stuff like begone, stormblast, explosion, shrapnel, launch, telekinesis could be baseline spells you just have from the start. same with buffs and resists.

signed

arena, that is all.

rather do it with portals or other fast travel methods. shrinking the world is bad imo.

15. Green Chili

Green Chili Spellgazer
    Legend

Personally, i would like to see things like potions, or something, that allow people to advance stats, spells, melee, pretty much much everything that needs to move from 0 to 100, quickly, but let each player choose how many potions they want to use for each skill.

So, if you want to get fire and air to level 50 quickly then chill for a bit and gey used to all the new binds and rotations, then take a couple more potions when you are ready for the next level or move on to another school for a couple days.

For those that like to grind sell your potions, or save some for the last few melee points.

16. aaraym

aaraym Undead Dwarf
    Legend

This sounds interesting!

Reduce the crafting tedium. Too many mats to craft anything needed from all over the map! Crafting times can some times be long. Reduce crafting grind as well.

Character grind can simply be addressed with more gold, increased gains on mobs, and increased drop rates.

You sill need to do something to make the large map worth with lower population. Case in point, I just heard two players discussing leaving the game even though they really enjoy it due to them thinking the game is dead. The game can feel regionally dead leading people to think it is even though some other area has a ton of players. Some way of knowing where the actions is would be a good idea. Like a Zone population indicator or something.

17. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

they shouldnt work all the way to 100 tbh. i really dont wanna see this game turn into another instant gratification game. apart from the fact that instant gratification is lame as fuck and rewards lazy ppl it also puts BPG into a position where they have to constantly release huge amounts of content to keep players interested. games like WoW can do that cos they have the ressources to do that and even there most ppl usually quit 1-2 month after a new expansion released cos they plowed through all the new content already cos everything is way too easy.

18. Galian

Galian Goblin Warlord
    Legend

Just wondering if you planning to reduce the number of skills that players can use (maybe at a given time a.k.a. make builds). I think a new player would be overwhelmed if he enters a game, and has to master 120 habilities because he can use them all.

DAlonso and Biceps like this.
  19. MWTaylor

MWTaylor Black Knight
    Staff Member

The whole topic around character builds and what is required to compete is part of this discussion too, you can expect design discussion threads on this aspect of the game as well.

20. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

yep skillcap is extremely needed for a ton of reasons. i just hope they finally understood that.

Slayven and Brown Dorf like this.