Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Darkfall: Rise of Agon - A Pivotal Moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Jul 25, 2017.

1. ArrowExpert

ArrowExpert Chosen of Khamset
    Hero

Sero doesn't even log in you know the game is in a bad state at that point. ❤

Grimtide and Sero like this.
  2. Snow

Snow Goblin Warlord

Making the grind easier and more casual is great- please keep in mind to make some things challenging- I like the challenge of quests and things like this. The sense of accomplishment in a game such as this is important as well.

Love, Snow

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    Grimtide, Green Chili and Sero like this.
  3. CatholicFather

CatholicFather Goblin Scout

As a developer I realize this is a huge undertaking, but Arenas 100%, this could be death match 5v5 or a mock city siege, maybe with objectives and respawning that anyone can join at any time. Maybe have different tiers based on your skills in addition to an equipment cap, lower tiers is 100 gold wager or something super cheap and maybe not even equipment loss, but higher tiers you can wage a lot of gold and your equipment. This will give pvpers something to do, and it doesn't rely on a large population. This way someone doesn't try to pvp by killing people at spawns, although that will still happen. You won't have people sitting at their banks waiting for a real siege.

4. Animal

Animal Eodrin
    Hero

Arenas would definitely be nice....(But BPG will probably never do it. They're having enough trouble with things as is)

Prodigy_Burn likes this.
  5. CatholicFather

CatholicFather Goblin Scout

That's probably true, but it would solve so many of the problems, or atleast make them less apparent. I'm personally not a huge clan guy and a lot of this game almost requires a clan to get into fair fights, or participate in any meaningful pvp.

Animal and Grimtide like this.
  6. ZeuZ

ZeuZ Undead Dwarf

Its the weekend, 1000% skill gains. GO Give a valid reason to resub again and play.

7. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

You have my $10 if you make HARVESTING less active.
    The only reason I'm subbed is because you removed the month to month payment option as far as I could tell.
    You want casual players to play your game casually? Give them something they can do idly... The AFK aspects of a game are appealing to a large minority of players..
    I miss the days of hitting a bush or a tree and having enough time to smoke at least half a cig in that time...

Nowadays , I dont even get to the door with the cig to my lips before I'm having to move to another bush.

BPG - Harvesting is never going to be fun. Stop the charade , revert it back to normal.

Next: Faster Travel. Use your portal chamber system for something else... Think easier to access runes or a runebook like UO.. (with some limitations , but seriously don't go overboard)
    Nobody with kids wants to play this game in it's current state.
    And many of us had a kid or 2 since DFUW. Put that together.

The "hardcore" player base will also be making kids soon as they each start getting laid.
    And if that's the crew you're still catering to... Well , I hope you've not quit your dayjobs.

Thug Life likes this.
  8. Battle Smurf

Battle Smurf Oak Lord
    Legend

For what it's worth Arena pvp would get me playing again

Fengor, Corpus Callosum and Animal like this.
  9. Thug Life

Thug Life Gravelord
    Hero

I feel that a duel arena would be very nice; specially if you could potentially set a level cap or add restrictions to the playstyle at the wager menu

The arena would need to be treated as a minigame in a way though, with a gold entry fee so that people will still be required to go out and play the game to fund their addiction

10. ZeuZ

ZeuZ Undead Dwarf

I actually like the increased harvesting speed in this version. With 1-2 hours to play tops so if im forced to harvest im glad im getting the most out of my time. If it was the old way I would be getting a whole lot less resources and stats..

11. Mycke

Mycke Obsidian Golem

Maybe there needs to be both a fast attentive way and a slow inattentive.

12. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

I have increased harvesting speed and decreased total "swings" per node to an average of 10. It takes ~15 seconds to clear a node (not water). I've been thinking heavily on a SWG harvesting approach for the "afk" method. Essentially create deployables that players can use to harvest basic materials over time. Would have to be balanced, likely much slower than active harvesting, but allows someone to get things done while not staring at their screen.

#532 kilrain, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    Drago and Mycke like this.
  13. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

what about adding npc workers you can buy for gold in the capitals that slowly gather materials for you aslong as you pay them so you gain ressources even when offline? could have like a cap of 3 so you can send one herbing, one mining and one logging or focus on 1 ressource to gain it faster. if your playing alot and lose alot of bags it wont be enough to sustain yourself and you still need to gather/trade additional mats but for a casual player it might just be enough so he doesnt have to waste his precious gaming hour a day on actively gathering once a week.

14. Makers Marco

Makers Marco Goblin Scout
    Supporter

I know this is probably extremely difficult to roll out, but as a "pivotal moment," it seems like it's needed. Arena would absolutely fix some immediate glaring issues while you can adjust the world gameplay. That's the world we live in, some mix of immediate gratification. So some sort of compromise for the sake of living to market another day seems like the only option.

BPG needs to ask what is the end goal for ROA? if it's a populated world with sustained subs... There's got to be an option for people to just log in and go. For the population who doesn't mind the grind and politics etc, there's an option for them in open world.

Corpus Callosum and Green Chili like this.
  15. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

Hey I'm with you there Zeuz - Thats why I've suggested multiple times to have 2 systems.
    2 different types of tools really..

1 tool would harvest slower and yield more stuff (For us afk types)
    2 nd tool would be what we have now.

They could further enhance it in other ways once there are 2 separate tools working on 2 separate mechanics.
    The sky is the limit.

If I could harvest shit afk and play other games.. I'd play more darkfall.
    Thats how boring it is.

One example of afk activities working out is the fact that I ran an entire noob clan off of running 2 scrapers constantly. I was always a target and my clan brought over 30 subs to the game at the time.. Just throwing that out there.. We have what looks like a pretty ... not so hyped game now.. I know how excited I was to play it.. And I quit just a few weeks in.

#535 ChronoHood, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  16. Corpus Callosum

Corpus Callosum Goblin Warrior

thank you for seeing the light!
    everyone in this forum (ESPECIALLY BPG devs) should repeat this mantra every morning. :)

Mycke likes this.
  17. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

i seriously dont understand your reasoning here. you realize in order for specializations to have any meaningfull impact and stop ppl from just using the current all in one build they must be more effective than the current all in one build (read: better than the current all in one build). if they arent most ppl will just not use them for the sake of having all the tools they have now still available to them at full power. the way i picture this is, if they are too weak, no1 will use them. if they are strong enough to justify picking them over the all in one build, we´re back to classfall.

i understand you wanna preserve freedom and balance, i get that, i really do but surely you have to realize that a skillcap ala UW gives you WAY more freedom of choice than any specialization system could ever do. (with more slots than UW tho cos 16 is WAY too little if it also includes transfers/heals/utility/buffs/buff others/heal others) a skillcap like UW is also far less of a nightmare to balance as you can look at each spell indevidually in terms of balance rather than look at specific parts of a spec and how it relates with the spec/without the spec/vs specific other specs. with a skillcap alot of things will balance itself when ppl find a good build and other ppl find counters to the build and so on. in the end you end up with only a couple viable builds that you may need to look at in terms of balance. it creates a way more interesting and ever changing meta than specs could ever achieve cos you have so much more options with a skillcap. with specs half the spells in the game would need to be massively changed in order to make most even remotely viable. (looking at earth/water mage vs fire mage here f.e.) specializations just give you way more to work on to balance them and make them all equally useful only to end up with way less freedom and diversity when compared to a skillcap.

it just doesnt make any sense at all to go with specs over a skillcap in my book as there is only disadvantages and not one single advantage. it honestly just sounds like you´re trying to say "give the kids their diversity so they stop crying but leave my all in one god tier build that does everything at the same time alone". well i understand you, everyone likes to be able to do everything but im sry this is the root of the whole problem and thats why it has to go completely.

#537 Biceps, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  18. aaraym

aaraym Undead Dwarf
    Legend

This only helps casuals that sit at a computer for a career. This greatly hurts casual players that cannot do what you are proposing to do on the harvesting topic.

I never did it in the first rendition as I cannot sit at a pc all day not do i have any desire to have my Pc running while I am not actively playing a game. It was a huge advantage and still is for people who can/do.

I greatly prefer the current harvesting setup, just wish they dropped more rares and maybe more ore/wood per node. The speed could even be twice as fast as it is presently and I would be happy about it.
    --- Post updated ---
    I would be okay with this if they double the speed on the active tool and increased the output some. I like ideas like this that try and make everyone happy!

19. His Man

His Man Goblin Warrior
    Legend

I would be playing right now if it was easier to level up.

Fengor and Sero like this.
  20. Damphousse

Damphousse Goblin Warrior
    Supporter

I haven't read this thread, so this may have been brought up before, but:

DFO only survived as long as it did because of the long character grind. That was literally the entire game. Once people finished their characters, they quit. There's nothing to do when everyone is done with their characters. They sit in their cities and duel for a little while, and then they quit.

This game needs something to fucking do. Some grind that never ends. The housing grind would be great if houses had a real purpose. The portal network makes housing a retarded time investment. Why grind for a year to get a LV when you can just take a portal and be anywhere in 15 minutes.

If you want to make the character grind fast to appease casuals, add something else that takes forever to grind. Maybe take Sero's advice and add a dueling arena with cosmetic rewards that take forever to grind. That shit worked for CS:GO.

I wish I had a good idea, but grind is what makes games like this fun. You need to give people a sense of achievement when they play the game.