Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Darkfall: Rise of Agon - A Pivotal Moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Sero

Sero Gnoll Vilegaunt
    Loyal Legend

Elo Grind :)

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    The Cannibal likes this.
  2. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

Some people quit games because they finished grinding. Most people quit because the grind is too great.

When I sit down to play a game I'm doing it to relax, enjoy my time, have fun. Not participate in a boring grind for hours before I can have any fun.

Darkfall's biggest mistake is trying to appeal to MMORPG players when it should be trying to appeal to FPS players.

For every person that unsubs because they don't have anything to level there will be 10 who resub because they don't feel completely useless.

Put stuff in the game to grind, for sure - but not combat skills.

Someone should be able to start this game and when their 24 noobie protection is up they should be a real threat. Not the most powerful threat, but a real threat. Currently, they're not.

3. Aristos Giannes

Aristos Giannes Cairn Giant
    Hero

Removing the pressure to grind will make the grind enjoyable.

The Cannibal and Fengor like this.
  4. YaBootyIsFruity

YaBootyIsFruity Gravelord
    Legend

Something you guy should really focus on that should have honestly been done by now is getting rid of Intensifies / Mana eff / Quickness. These things are all the literal definition of tedium and I understand that in the original vision Aventurine had for DF they made sense but they don't anymore so they should be build into the magic school. I shouldn't have to tell a little newb that he forgot to buy all this shit and now he's behind on levels. Not to mentions that we want the acquiring of skills to be as intuitive as possible for new players and having all these hidden skills isn't great. About 50% of the players in my clan forgot to buy skills like Muscular, Endurance ( Attribute skills ) and certain intensifies and we are as VET of a clan as it gets.

Also Either get rid of buffs or consolidate them... ALOT, because they are also the literal definition of tedium and they make engagements a lot less immersive. Me personally I would really like buffs to not exist but keeping the destroyer playstyle in mind I would recommend you guys really consolidate self buffs into 1-3 spells and other buffs into 1-2 spells for now. I hope one day we can find a way to completely remove them without messing up the Mage / Destroyer balance.

Fengor, Oresmacker and MikeJT like this.
  5. MikeJT

MikeJT Black Knight
    Supporter

I'm with you on removing skills but not on buffs.

Do think buff durations need a nerf though so they are more reactive, rather than just buffing every single buff in the game before a fight. That is tedious.

6. BeatIt

BeatIt Obsidian Golem
    Loyal Legend

ima craft Full plate at selen golem???

lol

7. KingPepe

KingPepe Goblin Scout

MAKE REGS NOT A THING AGAIN EXCEPT FOR RECALLING/RUNE MARKING/GATES XD

8. Fengor

Fengor Obsidian Golem

Do it. YOU WONT.

9. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Affluent Legend

week? month? year? df2010?

10. TyteDaddyTite

TyteDaddyTite Obsidian Golem
    Legend

I think the game definitely needs content that is not necessarily focused around the PvP full loot aspect of the game, but making a character grind quick does not make people un-interested. If anything it allows people to come into the game, become viable, learn how to play maybe end up sticking around. It is pretty hard to even experience and enjoy end game siege combat, or any of the thrilling PvP aspects if it takes someone several months to grind out a character.

Fengor likes this.
  11. elrohir

elrohir New Member

I've been playing about 2 months..Just wanted to drop my initial opinions of the game...

1. I'd like a digital market to buy & sell from.
    2. I'd also like to be able to enable / disable PVP/PVE myself. Investing time to create / gain gear that can be gone in a flash is no fun!
    3. Get rid of skinning. Leather should drop from the mob you kill or create trap harvesting nodes that drop them.
    4. 10$ a character seems steep. If you wanted to increase the sub some ok. But I'd like more character slots. I know it's skills based but I'd still like to play different characters.
    5. The combat animations need some work. At least the melee combat looks basic & repetitive.
    6. I'm all for portals to move around the world faster. Are these already in the game ?
    7. The city I started in seemed dead. a few static vendors here & there but you need more NPCs walking around that make the place look alive.

Baraz and MWTaylor like this.
  12. NonFactor

NonFactor Fire Giant
    Affluent Legend

soon?

13. KingPepe

KingPepe Goblin Scout

holy shizballs is this going live yet? gahhh

14. ChronoHood

ChronoHood Windlord
    Hero

Yes I agree active players should be more rewarded for sure.

There is still a large majority (and growing) base of casuals to please. People are into different kinds of games now and as game designers , they still need to think about how to please everyone. This is one avenue that they can focus on.
    --- Post updated ---
    This is true. This is what made DF1 fun for me.. The removal of all the "useless skills" made me kinda frown.. now its going to be super easy and the grind will still be on gear.. This is doomed to fail.

Take a look at UO.

To save this game:
    1) Runebooks - for fast travel like darkfall has never seen before. It was great in UO ,it will be super risky in DF because of the loading.. but .. for real..nobody wants to numlock run for hours to get from A to B .. the portal system is one thing but ... if you remember UO had both .. because .. it will just make sense.. You don't want to be using the portal system when you know it will just be super camped.. Without runebooks , the portal system just served as a place to grief everyone.
    2) Placing the grind on character skills with gear (which enables us to PvP) being the easy grind... Because we all know the PvP in this game is the fun part .. AND THE ONLY FUN PART!!!!!!!!!!!!! (until mobs are not boring af)

15. Baraz

Baraz Skeleton Archer

Ahoy !

I played all DF, a good part of DFUW, and one month in ROA with about 5 people from a PvP/semiRP guild. And here is how in went down...

First : they are not casual players. In the DF-ROA community, some seem to define "casual" as less hardcore or less PvP-centered. In the example here, they are guild members who play many PvP games every week (they playtest Crowfall a lot, play DOTA, etc.). That said...

- Four tried to grind* for about a week and then couldn't see the point anymore... After a few PvP encounters, they were reminded the reality that they would need to grind characters skills many days a week for at least a month or more, and then train their actual player skills for many months to ever even stand a fighting chance against the more elite players. Some players, that I call elite in DF (eg. I am a veteran, but suck), know how to dish out damage and win the fights. Newer players can get discouraged. In this case, these players had played DF and knew that the road ahead would require devotion to the game and decided to bail after about two weeks.

* Grind is the proper word, like a chore, mindlessly farming mobs; the feeling you are not playing as such. So they did not see it as "playing hard", striving, a challenge, etc, but as pure grind before they can get to actually play.

Their general comment was : why can't we just make a character and be able to PvP.​

- Two of us "leveled" so-to-speak (not felt as grind) our characters a good amount and we didn't dislike that initial challenge, yet we stopped nonetheless after a month. Our other guildies or comrades had abandoned, so it was natural to play other games. Personally, as one of those two, I really don't mind the grind in DF-ROA and see it as a challenge, and had fun, yet I did not resub (explained below).

- Why I stopped :
    a) I was unable to get into direct communication with a specific DF-ROA clan that I knew accepted members of my guild and that clan did not accept my request in-game. The game does not currently allow mail (or let's say offline chat messages) and the forum guild membership system did not get me in clan either. I was not really rejected from what I gather, just failed to reach them. Not being in a clan (and not being elite solo) discouraged me from repaying 14$ (CAD).

b) I could now be in clan, with people I don't really know, but there are soooooo many games I have not played, yet bought, and there is just too little time in a day for the devotion required by DF. Games are often time consuming (I play RPG) and DF requires to play many days a week (debatable).

c) No matter how much I train, I just can never be PvP competent in DF. I don't know why after playing for years. In other PvP games, I have a positive K/D ratio, but in DF, my K/D ratio is abysmal (like about 1 kill per 100 deaths or more!): and, from experience, I know I am not alone. So, why work so hard in a game where I will almost never win a PvP encounter and will make me feel like shit? If you are in clan, you can be a good team player and help a lot in group fights even if you are not elite at solo PvP (I was more easily able to help group combat in DFUW). My initial idea was to play as scout in DF-ROA (Mirdain sight).

All in all, if the monthly subscription was not there or if there were different option$, I would play a bit. Currently, both the game and the business model are an all or nothing concept.

#555 Baraz, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Rimamok likes this.
  16. RootedOak

RootedOak Oak Lord
    Legend

In other games, your opponents are controlled so that you don't face players that are far beyond your skill level.

In Darkfall the worst player in the game could encounter the best player in the game two deaths in a row with a little luck. Then factor in grudges, zerging and all the other things that come into play and you have Darkfall.

Fengor likes this.
  17. blkgnd802

blkgnd802 Goblin Warrior

I'm calling B.S. on everybody having built up banks full of infernal, dragon, and enchanted gear. No doubt a few of you do but most players didn't "run out of things to do." Darkfall's population dropped once again because it's insanely punishing to newbies and rewarding to vets/gankers. If you're a PvE'er, you kill spazzy mobs in a high stress environment where you'll lose hours of work. If you're a ganker, you jump the scrub that's been farming for an hour and you'll dunk him and take all of his stuff without having to risk anything yourself. That has never been a recipe for a sustainable population.

If you want a successful full loot game, you have to come as close to a survival crafting game as possible and that's exactly the direction RoA is headed in. I'm happy with where it's going and the population will have to be built up slowly over time (gotta believe!). If RoA fails then DF is dead forever.

18. KingPepe

KingPepe Goblin Scout

i was playing this game every day and excited to play. ever since people stopped playing, i've had little desire to play. hope people come back... the games fun to play and isn't as shitty as some people say. sucks :(

Wes Furtive likes this.
  19. Liverbest Gibs

Liverbest Gibs Spellgazer
    Hero

Don't worry, guys. We are one good patch away from a mass return. They know that Darkfall is their home. The only game that is a true, lasting threat to Rise of Agon's population, is ironically, the other Darkfall, New Dawn. The only other MMO in development that is in the same league is maybe Crowfall. That's a big maybe. I am not aware of any other full loot MMOs with a great combat system being made.

Build your banks, sharpen or polish your weapons, and don't worry.

Baraz likes this.
  20. Baraz

Baraz Skeleton Archer

It is actually a part of the game I like, that creates adrenaline, risks and makes you an addict :p It feels more real and immersive than games where I can eat pizza and drink coffee as I mindlessly kills mobs. And, with a bit of strategy, you lose little of your loot (being sneaky, having a clan, banking often).

I don't think we can change that fundamental aspect of DF.