Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Darkfall: Rise of Agon - A Pivotal Moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Jul 25, 2017.

1. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

2 late dudes :coldsweat:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
    billysunday, Foomanchu and LRM like this.
  2. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

maybe not all but i guarantee you 95% will pick armor/weapon crafts. with the system you propose a bread will soon be worth more than 3 r60 weapons cos its infinity times more competition in weaponcrafting compared to cooking. that system wouldnt fix the economy, it would utterly destroy it.

also alot of ppl will get around the crafting limitations by getting alts cos they dont wanna farm thousands of gold to throw at crafters so they can stay geared. atleast for me personally 10 or even 20 rl bucks has FAR less value than 100k gold or even 30k gold and i guess most ppl will feel the same way. so all it would really archieve is to make alts even more mandatory. either that or be poor ingame forever.

#82 Biceps, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  3. Fishsauce

Fishsauce Goblin Shaman

Good idea. Something should pops up after you die asking if you want to respawn to a nearest chaos city or back to your bindstone.

4. kilrain

kilrain Shadow Knight
    Staff Member Developer Team Lead

What about banks?

5. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Some places you'll be screwed but a short trip to the nearest chaos bank/npc town/grave/group that saved your bag is better than another 30 minute trip.

KingLlama likes this.
  6. babythai

babythai New Member

You know what the problem for me is every time I played the game casually, the game always died by the time I'm finally done with the grind. Darkfall 1.0, Darkfall UW, so why even bother to play when you see the game is about to fail again.....

remove the grind completely in a skill based full loot game

This isn't 2009 anymore. We got plenty of sandbox full loot pvp games on Steam alone to choose from.

#86 babythai, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    billysunday and Corpus Callosum like this.
  7. Shivs

Shivs Crypt Guard

Remove school requirement for spells, that removes a huge part of the feeling of futility as you as you level a spell you will never use to reach the one you would.

Scale medium spawns to stop pve being mostly a solo experience.

Reduce timers, the guy who said this will kill crafters as a profession, let's be realistic, we tell everyone they need to join a clan to play this game and every clan power levels a crafter anyway.

Get rid of buffs and up natural resistance to compensate, buff other only makes the larger group more effective, does a 2 v 1 really need more of an advantage?

Make transfers, heal other, heal self as part of the automatic spells you get as a new character and remove the reg requirement from transfers. New players should be using these from the first minute of the game.

Make getting gear, pots, food, armour and weapons trivial so no one should feel, they have no time to dual, to PVP , to improve because there play time only allows time to pve for a small amount of gear then log until next time.

Once R50 becomes the norm, introduce new R110 gear to aim for and make R60 easier to attain.

A big ask, but salvage would give those who want gear to mean something, a reason to be happy to loot a trivial bag, since they can put that towards the better armour they desire.

Circa, KingLlama and Nat like this.
  8. FilthyIrishman

FilthyIrishman Goblin Shaman

If everyone could port all over the map instantly a population of 200 people would feel like 5000... The feeling of a populated game keeps people around... Darkfall even when it has some players portrays a dead feeling.

Corpus Callosum and KingLlama like this.
  9. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

List of everything that's tedious ATM

-Meditation: not enough reward. You need gold eventually to cap your character

-levelling similar spells/skills: 4 rays rather than 1.

-Tools: Please, remove tools from the game. Bring them back as active skills.

-Crafting time (ho fucking hell).

-Enchanting: even with gems, dropping 12 different items to change 1 is tedious as fuck. Make sure you got the right items. Now do it x25. Even worse if you have to grind to reach level 75.

-Recalling when stuck in a house

-no dungeon exit yet from the way you got in so you must recall if you don't wanna go through the last room full of mobs.

-The world is too fucking big. Add more portals or make it smaller(no portal chambers, please, no portal chambers).

-Lack of elements on the world map: we need to see the portals, the location of the mobs, dungeons...

What you can add right now:

Auto-revive for blue players only in pve (not gray).

Circa and KingLlama like this.
  10. Nat

Nat Shadow Knight
    Legend

Also... make runestones drop more often please. Add nexus entrance/exit to bigger mobs loot table.

Chantree, Egrin and Circa like this.
  11. Zoro

Zoro Spellgazer

Leveling a character should be no more than a 3ish day experience. Who the fuck actually wants to level a character in darkfall it's boring as shit. After a few days most people are over it, the appeal of this game is the full loot pvp mmo that comes after your character is ground up.

12. Bald Bison

Bald Bison New Member
    Tester

My suggestion: Steal ideas from all other games that are pulling people away. I'd start with Albion.

1. Limit what a player can do (skill cap,) yet make it fairly easy for them to be able to adjust builds. Limit us to 1/4 of the skills, or only a few branches, and watch us theorycraft the hell out of best builds, etc.
    2. Make the game more interesting for gatherers and crafters. Create a grind for gatherers.. tiers of skills. Lowest-level gatherers can only hit iron, then selentine, etc.
    3. Create an auction-house for the Nithron coins in every capitol. Make it easy for people to exchange gold to silver, and back and forth. A page showing the "value" with bids and sells. I know this isn't easy..but it will make it easier for people to spend RL money to regear, etc.
    4. Make armors role-specific. Plate = Melee, Certain Robes = certain elemental benefits (fire robe, etc.)
    5. DRASTIC WILL CREATE TEARS: Remove all holdings from outer islands. Limit everyone to the main island (for now,) and create local banking. Forced pvp and meaningful combat. Albion+Eve+MO+ has local banking...but Darkfall players say that it would be too hardcore for the playerbase. lol.

A lot of those take significant dev work unfortunately, but those types of things create "accessibility" that people need. People aren't playing albion because they love being limited to 5 skills..they are playing because it's easy to get into fights where they might win, there's a huge population, they are forced to work together, and it's easy to regear (either with RL money or in-game.)

...I don't know everything, and this isn't a simple problem. However, the best businesses steal ideas from their successful competitors and meld them into their own.

billysunday likes this.
  13. Scrubby Bear

Scrubby Bear Eodrin
    Hero

I wouldn't go full UO with RoA's gear. UO crafted gear only had 2 tiers which were regular and grandmaster crafted.

I would consolidate all r0 to r30 gear into r40. Its useless gear that just makes noobs even less capable.

Give it all different attack speeds and damage. Yes some will be less used and people will tend to min max speed or damage but that is ok.
    With each additional tier... r50, r60, r70 you have to use more rare ingots and materials, but can still select from a whole shit load of weapons to make.

Basically you pick the sword you make, then you pick what you make it out of. But leave at least 4-5 tiers of crafted gear instead of UO's 2. I would also prefer mob dropped gear (immaculate, ect) is actually looted broken and must be 'restored' by a crafter into a usable immaculate weapon.

Armor is in a way kind of like UO already. The protection/encumbrance ratios are pretty close for metal armor all the way up to dragon. You give up roughly the same encumbrance for the same increase in protection at each step. Roughly, not exactly. The encumbrance/protections ratio actually peaks at full plate and falls off more and more towards dragon. The problem with the lower metal armors is that those encumbrance/protection rations scale pretty good from plate armor onward, but are in a lot of ways more harm than good from scale armor downward. I think the only thing you can really do with those low end armors, is reduce their encumbrance. Then they become much more useful as fillers for mages and hybrids seeking low encumbrance, and less 'gimping' for newbies to wear without displacing any already existing gear.

Orak and Super Star like this.
  14. Octman

Octman New Member
    Tester

Kill everything above rank 40 and narrow down the magic schools. Now everyone is on the same page and all that's left is skill. I am super excited and much older then when the game originally came out. I play maybe 10-15 hours a week. I still get my ass handed to me most days but it's as close to an UO style game I've ever found. The good times with friends that are spread all over the US is what makes it worth while. The community is 100 times better than the original. I've seen more good things come to this game than I ever did with ac. Good work and hoping for road to be around for a very long time.

15. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

I also think it shouln't require a whole hour to make a decent amount of gold/loot only for you to lose it quick.

Ok, i can make 20k a day. I must spend 5k to meditate, maybe 5k+ for scribing, maybe 3.2k on regs.

That's already 13k. So now, i have 7k left. If i chose to not farm the day after and i meditate again, i will have 2k left.

We need gold sink and it's fine on regs, but very hard on new players who must unlock every skills/spells and level them.

The goal here shouldn't be to reduce the time it takes to cap a character, but to reduce the amount of gold it takes to do so. It's like trying to climb up from hell if you still have to spend so much gold on unlocking/meditation/scribing.

Brown Dorf and Biceps like this.
  16. tommeh

tommeh Dire Zombie
    Contributor Hero

change eye rot to level 1 necro or level 50 witchcraft
    spell reflect level 1 arcane
    stormblast level 40 air
    etc
    huge grind needing to grind all magic high just to get that one unique spell
    could change the magic protection buffs to high level magic to even it out, the buffs are not fully needed but optional.

Scrapnotcrap likes this.
  17. Andrew

Andrew Eodrin
    Staff Member BPG Representative

We agree, that was a specific thing we talked about last night. Casual gamers we want to aim for are in the 5-10hrs a week range. Right now it's just way too hard for that crowd and modern gaming has changed, ignoring this is an exercise in futility we feel.

18. Circa

Circa Black Knight
    Legend

Best dev post I've read in a while. Good job for listening BPG!!!!

19. Galian

Galian Goblin Warlord
    Legend

What about a "newbie island" where you can level up to 25 in your skills, and with no faction restrictions, so everyone can kill anyone (but in the main city). The idea is to give new players a safe place to learn and some "even" pvp. It is not fun to get killed by a guy that has everything at 100, and can bunny out of the combat in case you manage to land some good hits. I pop up this idea because that way you can let them farm craft or whatever and of course get hyped by the fights, and once you get off the island, you cant come back, and you cant take your "newbie stuff" out. This way you would get also rid of the trials harvesting and unbalancing the economy, because trials cant get out of the island

20. ZeuZ

ZeuZ Undead Dwarf

Rotating "Hot Zones" for easy, medium and hard mobs. What are Hot Zones you ask? A random spawn of each type (easy, medium, hard) will be highlighted on the map and this zone will give increased skilled gains and double the loot/golds. Shadowbane had this and it was awesome.

Nat likes this.