Welcome to the Rise of Agon Community

Create an account today to engage in discussions and community events on the Rise of Agon forums.

Discussion: Darkfall: Rise of Agon - A Pivotal Moment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MWTaylor, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Avenging Martyr

Avenging Martyr Celestial
    Legend

Awesome guys, I'm very happy to see this post. So my period of lurking is over :)

Using Spoilers to save you from wall of text. Click if you want to read :D

Personally for crafting / gear related issues I'd say reduce raw material cost even more on lower end stuff. Put skinning materials on corpses and remove skinning skill. (Personally I liked the extra prep/risk/time it took but this is to help the game overall)

We need a way to craft sets of armor and do it through a crafting failure. Possibly a build que type system which keeps re-queuing on failure? This is tedious B.S. and needs some attention. Discuss long and hard the idea of removing crafting failures. Losing a critical weapons/staff when low on mats hurts the noob/casual player base hard.

To make r40s more useful change the .10 damage difference between r40s and r50 weapons and use .05 like you did between r30 and r40s. If people want to pay for that advantage let em.

Skill Grind in RoA has come a looong way. between scrolls/manuels, mediation points via quests and overall reduction it's been a dream compared to the past. However we can still improve things.

Combine many buffs into fewer spells. Say make all fire self buffs into 1 buff that applies all benefits. Skill up 1 skill, get all effects of the combined buffs. Do this for each major spells school. Combine all buffs into 1 spell. Reduce grind greatly and help newbs apply buffs.

(Personally I'd prefer very short timers and limits on buffs so we have tactical choices and not relying on blanket buffs / long timers but if we can't make it better at least make is simpler)

Revamp Begone, Shrapnel, Explosion so they start maxed out and the max is the ideal level for use. Aka begone 75, shrapnel and explosion at lvl 1. Just change it so the new lvl 100 begone is where 75 was. 100 shrapnel has the effect of lvl 1 and then instant max it on purchase. So people can't raise it beyond where it should be. Again make it simpler.

PS: Reduce spell reagent cost even as a vet when I need certain resources and I want to cast and not melee. I often barely break even gold wise when farming if I use spells and I know what to farm lol. I know I can use melee to farm but that makes the grind 10x worse as a caster. Essentially burning gold to level something that only becomes viable at higher levels. Most of the vets are beyond this issue but every new player will run into it. Also if regeant are used less they should become more commonly sold on trade channels making resources more common for new people XD.

You need to be able to die from Fall Damage. Even then it might not be enough IMHO. Personally I think a 30% reduction in movement/momentum for begone and fall damage death would be ideal. Maybe even speed up mounts some more.

This is not about the damage cap, nor is it about removing B-Hopping.

This would just make it so you can't B-hop FOREVER. I don't think you should be able to outpace a mount via spells and you certainly shouldn't be able to not only outrun them but go much further than they can in ideal terrain.

With decent health I can still B-Hop a good distance without hitting 1 hp. (If you aim far enough ahead and run into it you don't take fall damage for flat land B-Hops anyway)

Everyone argues skill but really when you have to properly time your jumps AND manage your health while having to stop for healing as you go would take far more skill than just timing your jumps. We keep telling new players "Get Good Nub" when in reality we need new players 1000% more than satisfying those few of us who stay.

If you run away at 10%hp you should die on your second/third B-Hop IMO and you can still get around that if you are that experienced.

I personally love B-hopping but I still say it needs to change. For the good of the game if nothing else. I know for many of you perception is reality. It affects you negatively and so you will argue against it and you will not change your mind regardless of anything anyone says. That's fine.

I would just like to remind you Darkfall is complete shit without a population and this affects more people in a positve manner than negative.

You decide to jump into a zerg city and can no longer easily run away forever? Well, too friggen bad. Zergs are often made of less skilled individuals (Elites are around, but mostly non elites in large zergs) and they group up to play with more PEOPLE.

The point is do we want darkfall to thrive? Or to die another slow death? I know which one I choose.

Now lets discuss world travel. Alot of the changes are pretty nice. Personally I'd like to see a slight increase in runestone drops. Not off specific mobs but across the board. I know a low drop rate exists among many casters type mobs etc. I would like to see that increased a little. Runestones were a favorite of mine in DFO now in ROA with runes costing 6-7k a pop I horde the few I have and keep them for critical situations which makes me sad. They are the best world travel method and now I rarely use them.

Some argue for wilderness portals to allow you to choose the exit. Which would be awesome convenient but would reduce the value of holdings and houses. I would suggest giving each portal 2-3 options instead of the current 1. Make it so the exit choices are very distant which would create far more paths and options.

Mount Travel speed I think should be increased by 15-40% of current speeds. Less if begone gets nerfed. More if begone doesn't get nerfed IMO.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  2. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

Please, don't make it easy on the loot grind, but reduce the gap from R0's to R50's

especially on arcane rings. The first level of rings should be perceived as some arcane jewels, not some 0.10 useless shit that you only make to reach 75-100 jewelsmithing eventually.

You can always remove arcane rings/neck. Replace them with something that's not as mandatory. Nerf towers. replac

3. Brando Pando

Brando Pando Crypt Guard
    Patron

So is it even worth playing right now as a new player? I'm about midway through the grind, and after reading this I just wanna wait until the changes are implemented. I'm not strong enough to go PvP, and there is no point in sinking time into a grind that is being removed. I'd really like to see a time frame for when to expect these changes.

Slayven and frostee like this.
  4. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Can always farm gold and keep learning so you aren't rusty. Never hurts to play through development.

Slayven, Dixie Normus and Fengor like this.
  5. Biceps

Biceps Infernal
    Legend

1. make it an exact copy of UW´s custom role system. maybe with a few more spells and exclude utility spells so everyone has those. dont try fancy stuff when UW already did it pretty much perfect.
    2. no. crafting grind is enough as it is
    3. hell no fo with the p2w shit
    4. something worth to theorycraft over but i feel like it would end up too restrictive. mixing armor is a fun aspect as it is atm but it could be expanded on.
    5. fuck no, local banking is absolutely retarded and will never work in darkfall. its not about beeing too hardcore, its about limiting you to one area of the map and if you wanna move cos you own a new holding or lost your old one it creates completely unnessecary and pointless tedium. go play that other darkfall game and watch it die within 2 weeks after launch just cos of that utterly retarded dumb as fuck mongoloid idea called local banking.

6. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

also,

"pivotal"

learned this new word. ty bpg

Slayven, Orak and RootedOak like this.
  7. Scrapnotcrap

Scrapnotcrap Eodrin
    Loyal Hero

The whole pre-buffs, pre-buff others is just bad for the game too.

8. Big Ed

Big Ed Goblin Shaman
    Supporter

Needs to happen sooner than later. I can see a lot of players taking a break waiting for the tedium so subside.

Khazgol likes this.
  9. NonFactor

NonFactor Forest Golem
    Wealthy Affluent Legend

omg this. remove buff others

10. Sisco

Sisco Goblin Warrior

I fully agree. Revamp how buffs work. Selfbuffing for 3 minutes before doing something is tedious.

11. Wes Furtive

Wes Furtive Obsidian Golem
    Legend

Remove buffs! :D I had more fun playing destroyer in beta just because I didn't have to buff every 10 minutes or buff other every 5 minutes!

12. Avenging Martyr

Legend

Hell yes it is. In fact you may find it much safer than it was during launch. It's a great time to come in and learn / practice using tactics and certain game mechanics but I stress joining a clan. Being able to chat and ask questions is huge for newer players. When the changes come in alot will flood in and it will become much harder to safely farm or practice. I really suggest you use this time to your advantage ;)

I don't think we'll see a ton of grind shaved off honestly. We're at about 1/20th the original. I'm hoping to see some reduction but mainly I wish for streamlined changes for magic.

Dixie Normus likes this.
  13. Lucit

Lucit New Member
    Tester

Okay.. to not die, don't die, got it!

Can confirm, currently a walking loot sack buying GTT to trade for gold so I can buy low tier armor and weapons so I can continue to play. If I didn't have my disposable RL income I would not be able to play because my bank would basically be empty. I'm sure the vets that keep ganking me have lots of fun taking my scale armor and R30s, but I ask myself how much longer I'm going to keep shelling out cash so other people can have a good time. :tearsofjoy:

14. propain

propain Black Knight
    Loyal Hero

OH BABY here we go with some brainstorming suggestions dudes!

Travel Ideas:

Reintroduce portal chambers to cities. Up their portal shards usage or make them take gold but this needs to happen.
    Keep wilderness portals and make them more consolidated so you have less travel time between portal chambers.
    Make it so that when you capture a village you can bind 3-4 people from your clan to the bindstone on a separate cooldown from other recalls.
    Runestones need to be made craftable. Portal shards, stone, gold. Bam.
    Different tiers of runestones. Like Greater Runestone - 4 Uses.
    Nexus entrance/Exits being more accessible for daily pvp but take less people through.

Arena System:
    I won't get into it again. There is already 3-4 threads about this. Finding PvP is a tedium. There needs to be a way to get in the game and have fun for an hour when you only have an hour. This makes your game competitive, easy to log into, and stream able. All high points.

Miscellaneous:

Would be nice to have templates for ready bags. Sorting your bank/gearing up takes too long.

Remove hard locks on all spells. Why does a noob really have to drudge through witchcraft, spell chanting, lesser/greater magic to reach some of the most pivotal spells? Its a sandbox. Let them choose their path from the get go and get them interested.

Give people a boost in the sub schools. Start them out at 25 or something in the intensifies/mana inefficiencies or something.

Remove tools.

15. Bloode

Bloode New Member

1. Relax the aiming to be a wider hitbox. Most games like this are tab targeting and while that is too easy, I think Darkfall could make the aiming a tad easier... Would also cancel out those players using aimbot.

2. Make all mob spawns frenzy and let them frenzy in #s and difficulty. One of my favorite memories from UO was when a GM made a mage spawn in a small space go crazy and 3 of us nearly died over and over but we managed to survive. Shit like that makes fond memories.

3. Since the racial wars are gone, maybe something like UO did with Order/Chaos shield wars or town faction fighting. Something to create more fighting.

4. Make map traveling easier with UO style blank runes/marking spots. Maybe limit to 10ish? rune spots per player with the ability to over-write existing ones. Also add in player summoning. It's not an easy task to login and your friends are already out hunting across the map.

5. Buff timers are way, way too short. And food timers. Either make buffs inherent to the character stats or long lasting spells. Having to stop and buff constantly tips off your location far too often or they drop in mid-fight.

6. Fix the load lag! UO had load lag back in 1997... it functions the same as radar which makes it even easier for people to escape fights.

7. Speaking of escaping fights, the #1 difference between vets and middle tier players is movement spells. Until you fix this, there will always be imbalance. New players don't have a fucking clue how to use begone, explosion or stormblast to engage or disengage from fights. Depending on race, gender or lag, these spells have a different sweet spot...

8. The alignment rules of this game are just awful. As a player who is mostly blue but dips back and forth into red, it's a major pain in the ass to do anything when red. That is exactly why all the 'hard-cores' have blue crafters and traders alts...

9. Player town towers are completely worthless with 3 pieces of jewelry. It's part of the reason why being red sucks. You cannot craft in a player town without body guards even if you are directly under a tower. And to be frank, body guards are not logging into the game right now.

10. The population is horrid which is obviously the whole point of this thread. You can still have a full loot PvP game without tab targeting and be successful.

About me for reference - I have a character that is 100-110 in all stats but dex. All spell schools are 100. All major spells are 75+. I have all 3 bow masteries at 99-100. I have 2H and dagger at 98 and 100, masteries at 70ish. I have plenty of gear in the bank and I have most crafting to 100 or 25+ for masteries. I love the idea of Darkfall and have played PvP games since '97 and UO. I am usually a very strong PvPer and have been the fight caller for The Dark Arcane Z and Dreadlords (DL) from Shadowbane. But for some reason this game intimidates me and fucks with my confidence.

The learning curve in this game is steep and not very forgiving. With the limited population, only the hardcore players are left and trying to get better against a player who kills you in a few seconds is not a good learning experience. And its the same players over and over and over. You can practice with dueling but its not the same. I don't know what the answer is because I don't like the idea of limiting players to certain brackets and TBH my character level would have me in the highest bracket unless it was a PvP point system. I like the full loot and really, much like UO, eventually you have more than you could ever lose or just make more. So the game needs to be about funner PvP shit, against different players all the time.

Need to add 11. The ability to spot a friendly in a cluster fuck is A W F U L. There should be no reason to be mousing over players in a fight to get a target. I'm not suggesting making it easy-mode like floating names and clan tags but dye-able armor, cloaks, guild crests, etc. would go a long way to spotting an enemy versus friendly.

12. And mentioned from a friend who still plays free shards for UO, put in farmable vanity items like glowing sandals, mount skins, whatever as the carrot to keep people out farming mobs. Plenty of games offer cash shops or in-game farming for these kinds of items just to be different (no game-balance items).

13. Land based control towers. Like 6 of them scattered around so that its not a massive cluster fuck at 1-2 spots. Make the timers the same so that people can't be at all places at once.

14. Limit clan/alliance holdings to 1 per clan, 2-3 per alliance. This keeps clans for making super zergs since they can't own a property and join an alliance if they are capped. This makes more properties open to smaller clans.

#115 Bloode, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  16. Kal VenoM

Kal VenoM Skeleton Archer
    Legend

Must admit I haven't completely read through the entire thread so apologies if this has already been discussed.

I suppose my biggest issue with reducing/removing the grind and gear gap (Does this mean removing enchants too then?)
    and making instant travel for instant pvp is.... why even PvP?

One of the reasons i find myself replaying Darkfall over and over is the adrenaline rush of "Shit this bag is super good and I'm being chased by 3 guys, its fight or flight" ... and the satisfaction you get from winning in those scenario's. Or you're fighting a guy who has a really nice bag and you get that extra buzz if you get the kill. Don't get me wrong, gear isn't the sole reason I get a buzz from Darkfall PvP but it's a factor.

My main point is - If everything becomes so accessible and common doesn't that just devalue the whole experience? Wouldn't the game just become a weird sort of PUBG but your character and bank is persistent? PvP without meaning will become boring. A prime example of this is Player Cities in RoA's current version. They are literally meaningless. They have virtually no value, which results in not many sieges. I think politics in ROA are non-existent if I'm right? Clans have nothing to really fight over. That's what will happen to organic PvP. If everything is accessible and devalued... whats the point in even fighting? We might as well just duel and do arranged fights. Or even further just turn the game into an Arena.

Don't get me wrong I completely agree the game needs to decide what direction it needs to go in. Its caught in two mindsets... and I really don't have the answers... but I honestly believe by making the game too easy to obtain everything, or removing the value from things making people PvP just for the sake of PvP isn't a good direction.

Rinzler Quo

#116 Kal VenoM, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    Kilset likes this.
  17. Vrain

Vrain Crypt Guard
    Legend

Dont even out gear too much next thing u know ppl be bitchin that gear has no value everyone runs in same gear and so on

Battle Smurf likes this.
  18. Terry

Terry Goblin Scout

I'm here for the long run, I will be suggesting some things.

Really glad to see this happening!

Umberto likes this.
  19. Fengor

Fengor Eodrin

*consolidate

20. Avenging Martyr

Legend

First off City portals need to stay dead.

Runestones should be craftable. Lvl 100 Alchemy Maybe?

I'll go into the Arena Argument again. I was one of the few who made a thread https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/add-a-arena-system.844/

A template like system to create bags would be amazing...

I agree with removing hardlocks on spells requirements and even removing tools. All of which would be good for the game.

Corpus Callosum and Dixie Normus like this.